Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blindcraft Building Saracen Street
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
GG
Click to view attachment

It's currently a sprawl of derelict land in the middle of Saracen Street in Possilpark which the council has been trying to flog recently for 277,000, but can anyone remember the place in its glory days as the former Blindcraft factory?

The building was built in 1910 and was one of the first reinforced-concrete constructions in the city when it opened as a warehouse for Easiephit Footwear.

GG.
GG
Just found this photo on the boards posted by flim showing the same area, but looking down Stonyhurst Street onto Saracen Street, instead of up, in 2004. The photographer in the first photo would have been standing at the bottom-left* of the above pic when he/she took the photo in the 1060s?
Click to view attachment

Thanks flim!

Edit: sorry, bottom-right.

GG.
AnneTeak
It's currently a sprawl of derelict land in the middle of Saracen Street in Possilpark which the council has been trying to flog recently for 277,000, but can anyone remember the place in its glory days as the former Blindcraft factory?

The building was built in 1910 and was one of the first reinforced-concrete constructions in the city when it opened as a warehouse for Easiephit Footwear.

GG.

That's EXACTLY as I remember it ! As a child I got a wooden rocking chair from there - I LOVED that chair smile.gif
Heather
Blindcraft were well known for making and supplying beds.

Any beds applied for and awarded through the Social Security, were ordered from Blindcraft.
flam
Hi GG I am certain that the photo you posted of mine saying that it was the Blind Asylum, Was it not in Killearn St (Black and White) photo as my mate worked in the Blindcraft, and when I worked on Corporation Buses this was where we did a special for them and I can assure you Sighted and unsighted where a pretty handful. Cheers Flim
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (GG @ 30th Dec 2008, 04:47pm) *
Just found this photo on the boards posted by flim showing the same area, but looking down Stonyhurst Street onto Saracen Street, instead of up, in 2004. The photographer in the first photo would have been standing at the bottom-left* of the above pic when he/she took the photo in the 1060s?

Thanks flim!

Edit: sorry, bottom-right.

GG.

Yes I remember the Blindcraft Building very well at the corner of Saracen St. and Stonyhurst St. when the people came out after finishing work a lot of them used to cross the street to catch the tramcar I haven't seen Saracen St. since 1963 on the photo I didn't recoognise Stonyhurst St' it used to have corporation houses
Agnes & Robert
QUOTE (AGNES & ROBERT @ 3rd Jan 2009, 05:53am) *
Yes I remember the Blindcraft Building very well at the corner of Saracen St. and Stonyhurst St. when the people came out after finishing work a lot of them used to cross the street to catch the tramcar I haven't seen Saracen St. since 1963 on the photo I didn't recoognise Stonyhurst St' it used to have corporation houses on second thought I think it was Killearn St.and Saracen St., coming from the cross you had Allander then Stonyhurst then Killearn St

kmacc
Your right Flam it was on was the corner of Killern St the other corner was the askit works.
GG
Absolutely correct both of you, I was one street too far along! unsure.gif

Here's where I should have been:

http://www.multimap.com/s/nePRjLiy

Or just to the right in the following pic, where you can just see the Stonyhurst Street Post Office.

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/possil/glasg...sil-ww_bld.html

Thanks for pointing this out.

GG.
mamie
You have brought back great memories, I remember the blind asylum and remember when the workers came out to catch the buses at night they actully ran across the road for there buses, everybody kept out of there way , they must have been very sure where they were going, it was worth watching how they all managed to cross what was a busy road and get safely to the other side. Also the chapel and the school, I remember them all well. ( there was also an oatcake bakery in that area.
flam
Hi Mamie.Was the Oatcake somewhere around Dawson Place near Rockvilla School ? Cheers Flim
possilboy
hi mamie and flam the oatcake bakery was oposite the libary and that long wooden building that was once a comunity hall i think flam you said it belonged to st teresas cheers john
possilboy
hi mamie and flam the oatcake bakery was oposite the libary and that long wooden building that was once a comunity hall i think flam you said it belonged to st teresas cheers john
Rabbie
QUOTE (GG @ 3rd Jan 2009, 12:04pm) *
Absolutely correct both of you, I was one street too far along! unsure.gif

Here's where I should have been:

http://www.multimap.com/s/nePRjLiy

Or just to the right in the following pic, where you can just see the Stonyhurst Street Post Office.

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/possil/glasg...sil-ww_bld.html

Thanks for pointing this out.

GG.

Blaw in the bag Surr!

Ye canneae drink an drive Google, ya knaw. biggrin.gif

I am just going aff the top of my head, I recall a Blindcraft in Saracen St, back in the 60/70's it had groundfloor sunshine windows. Behind these, handmade goods, created by blind fowks were on display.

The items where, please excuse me if I use phrase I loath, were "Awesome"..

Thats one more location, I have to touch base with again.

Nice one!
big tommy
The Blindcraft building in Saracen Street is becoming an eyesore and it is such a shame . with a little imagination and cash injection the building could be turned into a modern Cinema with lots of floors and screens .
come on Glasgow Council or anyone with money to spare.
Big Tommy
flam
Hi Big Tommy .I am afraid the Blindcraft Building was demolished years ago, aS Post 5 will verify Cheers Flim
big tommy
Dear ~Flam
Im sorry ,but i havent been down that direction in years . I think someone said it was now an ugly hole in the ground.
Well nows the time to make something of it .A Cinema would be nice. We have to travel into the City now to see a film on the big screen .
Big Tommy
Rabbie
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 6th Apr 2009, 01:46am) *
Thats one more location, I have to touch base with again.

Ach buggerit, looks like ah wus too late, yit another wee bit of oor history gawn. Wit a scunner. mad.gif

Is there nae stoaping these people from wrecking oor toon.
beezzneezz1
hi , i think theres gony be somthing built there coz theres a sign post up noo, i read it but i think its gony be a doctors , shop(s) and a few other things wink.gif
possilboy
hi all someone mentiond the easiephit in the blind craft this photo is the old one in saracen st
possilgirl
I remember when I was young and all the blind ppl would get on the buses it always amazed me they knew what buses to get on lol ,,, can anyone mind when it went on fire
fmc001
Hi

I grew up on Stoneyhurst Street just on the other side of the Blindcraft building pictured above.

I am in the process of trying to collect some old pictures of Possilpark and would love to get a copy of the one above. Would it be possible to get a copy??

Regards

Fred
ashfield
Fred, welcome to the boards. The photo is from the Virtualmitchell web site, if you go on to it you can copy the photos but they all have a watermark in the centre ( if you look closely at the one above you will see it). Sorry, I can't post the link on this machine, let us know if you have problems finding it.
Foxy52
Hi All, I remember very well the Blind Craft Factory, a neighbor of mine worked there for years. They used to do a very good business in doing shoe repair also. When l was at Possil Jun. Sec. in the new building, our science classrooms were at the top of the building, it was slightly higher than the blind Craft building. At their lunch time during the summer some of them would actually be playing football on the roof . My neighbor told me that this guys had limited vision, but that there was also a bell inside the ball. Don't know if that was true or not. In regards to them getting to the bus stop across Saracen St. there was always a white coated policeman who would stop traffic to let the blind get across the road. They would get out of work around the same time as we got out of school.
While l am on here l would like to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Cheers
Foxy
possilboy
welcome fred just google Mitchell library Glasgow when you get there click on possilpark district there are plenty old photos on it cheers
possilboy
here is one
ExPOW
Between being created as the Easiphit Warehouse and more lately known as the Blind Craft Building, was it also known as (more colloquially), The Blind Asylum?

There was a wee shop up from the corner of the Askit Factory and across from the BA in Killearn Street that sold sweets, dairy, bread and other things. Always a stopover to buy sweeties on a Sunday rather than put money in the plate at chapel across the road. yes.gif
The Duke of Drumchapel
found this old one in my collection: https://flic.kr/p/8NEpeT
serabash
somewhere in the back of my mind I remember my granny getting her bed made by blindcraft in the 60s because it was to fit in the bed recess and wasn't a standard size. I think she had that same bed until she passed away in 1984 ,no change your bed every 8 years for her lol.
I also remember going to easiephit at parkhead cross for sandals in 1969 for our first family holiday abroad to majorca. I got two pairs one white one red and a white handbag to do me for the fortnight I was thirteen and remember being in a huff with my mum because I wasn't allowed a red handbag too. was it just my age or was as my granny said I was a spoilt wee bisom. still not too sure what a bisom is lol I thought it was a sweeping brush but that doesn't make any sense wink.gif
ExPOW
"bisom" is a Glasgow spin, sometimes mispronounced as "bizum", on a typical Besom Broom.

So you were right.

Think broomstick and you have the visual.
Click here for pictures;

Images

Re Post #20

Used to look in that Easiephit window often and always thought is was way too crammed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.