Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Puff Cracknells
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
sss65
Can anyone tell us what Puff cracknells were? We think they were round savoury biscuits two inches in diameter and an inch thick that you cut in half and spread with butter etc?
stuarty
puff cracknles a think were a bit like butter puffs
Betty Cross
Puff cracknells were round in shape about 1" thick and about 2" in diameter. They must have consisted of only some sort of light flour or cornflour and water (they didn't seem to have any fat in them) and when they were baked they like a crispy sort of compressed powder and had a depression in the centre which you filled with butter and lemon cheese. These were very much available after the war years but sadly these can't be purchased now. I would love to really know the recipe for making some.
serabash
Jacobs made puff cracknels and they were exactly as you describe Betty Cross. My granny sliced hers across the middle and buttered them and filled them with mashed banana and dates. Lovely. wink.gif
wheeghee
QUOTE (serabash @ 6th Feb 2011, 01:39pm) *
Jacobs made puff cracknels and they were exactly as you describe Betty Cross. My granny sliced hers across the middle and buttered them and filled them with mashed banana and dates. Lovely. wink.gif

Jacobs Cream Crackers
Drew
QUOTE (wheeghee @ 7th Feb 2011, 09:36pm) *
Jacobs Cream Crackers

I think there may have been a ready made version of the filled puff cracknel. Were they not called lemon puffs?
serabash
QUOTE (wheeghee @ 7th Feb 2011, 09:36pm) *
Jacobs Cream Crackers

Yes Jacobs make cream crackers but they also made puff cracknell Wheeghee.
Melody
I never liked Puff Cracknells because I remember them being kind of squeaky on your teeth. laugh.gif
benny
Ha, ha, that's right Melody. biggrin.gif Ah had tae think fur a minnit there tae remember, because ah don't hiv teeth any merr, but that's a perfect description o them. Ah never particularly liked them, because they seemed tae me jist like a kinda dense bread dough, an they wurnae sweet. Ah liked cream cookies, teabreid, fern cakes, pineapple cakes,.stuff like that.
Melody
laugh.gif Ah've given myself the creeps talking about that squeaky thing Benny.
martin_glasgow
Click to view attachment

Here is a pic of jacobs Puff Cracknells .Hope it brings back some memories.....

Martin.....
bilbo.s
QUOTE (martin_glasgow @ 26th Feb 2011, 12:14pm) *
Click to view attachment

Here is a pic of jacobs Puff Cracknells .Hope it brings back some memories.....

Martin.....

sure does - but not of biscuits ! biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
reminded you of wee crackers Bill. biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 26th Feb 2011, 01:54pm) *
reminded you of wee crackers Bill. biggrin.gif

or mibbes stoaters. smile.gif
penny dainty
Oh stoppit you pair !! what ye's like eh?lol
I loved these puffy thingies , dead good wi butter on them dry as the proverbial , but good nevertheless. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.