Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh Hokey Cokey
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
joycewilson
What do you think of this childrens song now being brought into religion?
joycewilson
I really think its a sad day when something like this gets brought into all this religion stuff just shows some folk have nothing else to do with their time x
joycewilson
whats others opinions? xxxxxx
fourbytwo
What's the dilema........we all voted or allowed in some way, these 'jobsworth cretins' to make these scandalous and stupid decisions....' on our behalf'.
The fact that a small and erroneous band of misfits can get into positions of power, that allows them to make decisions and spout such tripe, and get away with it........is really our own fault.
And like fleas on a dog, it is very, very difficult to get rid of them......!
joycewilson
Very true Fourbytwo we allow it.. x
murn
everyone should have a big street party at New Year and do the Hokey Cokey tongue.gif (although I always thought it was called Hokey Pokey)
joycewilson
Lol Murn I Also Thought it Was Called That Lol x Hows You? x
murn
me's fine Joyce wink.gif Whit will they ban next 'Ring around the roses' huh.gif

Most childrens songs and games have a darker side, they are sung for 100s of years then some idiot with too much time on their hands decides to make an issue of it.
stratson
Do you remember forming a line singing, I.I.I. A CONGA, Boogie woogie conga, oh, I,I,conga_________and so on, it was great fun. laugh.gif
brian432
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/f...icle5375697.ece

Heather
I was not aware of what the original words or movements in Hokey Cokey meant.
But I wonder why the Rangers fans have dug it up after all these years and for all the wrong reasons.

Murn, as far as I know. ' Ring of Roses' refers to the black plague a few centuries ago. The words ' we all fall down' refers to the person dying.

Fourbytwo, what on earth are you talking about????
What cretins are you referring to and who voted for them????????????
murn
this was the article that I read wink.gif

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...86908-20989183/

There is a suggestion that 'Ring around the roses' was in fact an excuse for Protestants being able to dance after the Church put a ban on it. I tend to believe it did came from the plague but there are others who think not.

As far as I can make out it was an American who wrote Hokey Pokey

Larry LaPrise, who wrote the song Hokey Pokey, died in 1996 at age 83. It was extremely difficult to put him in the casket. They put his right leg in and they pulled his right leg out .....well, you know the rest. laugh.gif

I think religion should keep their noses out of this
Mhoira
Ijust think it is totally disgusting, a whole load of crap . my opinion
brian432
QUOTE (Mhoira @ 26th Dec 2008, 10:41pm) *
Ijust think it is totally disgusting, a whole load of crap . my opinion

I agree. I find it sad that there are cranks on EVERY side of the religious fence, who can find offence in anything, no matter how deep they have to dig.
tamhickey
I have never heard such tripe in my life. How naive were the guys at the Catholic church who brought this up? This song is recognised as a fun spirited one where everyone from every and no denomination would simply have a laugh at a party. If there are religeous connotations attatched to it then they must be centuries old, and surely life's too short to hold grievances over simple things like this.
I say this as someone who was educated at Catholic schools and who believes that there are people out there who try to divide us all, regardless of religeous persuasion, simply because it may be beneficial to those who start it.
Nowadays, I have no religeon and have absolutely no regrets about it. Don't get me wrong, those of you who are religeous are entitled to take a different standpoint from me, but I think when really stupid things like this come up, we are all entitled to ask the question "who is being used?"
tombro
Tamhickey, you are so spot on !

To think the 'Hokey Pokey' is anything but a kids dance is to kow-tow to those minority outfits who seem to want to control our world these days and, while the authorities we elect continue suck-up to such minorities to preserve their own delicate balances of power, we will always have to put up with such crap !

It's Hogmanay next Thursday and I can't think of a better way to stick it up these wankers !

Let's 'Hokey-Pokey' all night and well into the new year !

Tombro wink.gif
stratson
Wouldn't that be loads of fun Tombro>>>>>if omly! laugh.gif
joycewilson
Lol Stratson.... biggrin.gif Hows You Hope You had A Nice Christmas xxxxx
stratson
Hi Joyce>>>>Xmas was good Thank you, hope yours was too biggrin.gif
joycewilson
Had A Brill Time Stratson Thanks....x
murn
did yee shake it all about laugh.gif wink.gif
glasgow lass
now thats what its all about tongue.gif
stratson
Yeh>>>>Shakin' that ass! laugh.gif
angel
left foot in,,Left foot out. biggrin.gif
joycewilson
and ya shake it all about you do the HOKEY COKEY and you................ tongue.gif
angel
turn around, thats what it,s all about. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
stratson
Yup, that's what it,s all about, ain't life wonderful! biggrin.gif
Boydy
QUOTE (joycewilson @ 25th Dec 2008, 03:39am) *
I really think its a sad day when something like this gets brought into all this religion stuff just shows some folk have nothing else to do with their time x

I can sum up in one word "Crazy"

penny dainty
I danced to the Hokey Cokey at the sunday school christmas party every year, it was always a favourite at weddings as well, jings I'm singing it now ,you put yer whole self in and you shake it all about, wohoo , wobbly bits an aw laugh.gif honestly who dreams up this nonsense, leave the hokey cokey alone.
Scots Kiwi Lass
Like so many others, the Hokey Cokey was sung regularly in my childhood and on occasions since then, even in New Zealand.

After reading all these comments, I am curious about how this recent controversy started. Can anyone oblige?
stratson
Go to post 10 of this topic, click on the line smile.gif and you will read the story. Hope this helps.
Scots Kiwi Lass
Thanks Stratson - I have read it all now and having a bit of a chuckle. On a day when we've had nothing but bad news here (a house fire causing the death of four children and critically injuring their parents), several boating and swimming deaths, increased road deaths over the Christmas period, to say nothing of the dreadful situation in Gaza, it is time we had some light-hearted stories to cheer us up.

I am going to teach my granddaughter the Hokey Cokey soon. I am sure she will love it for what it is - a cheerful party song!
joycewilson
It's getting a bit silly now.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle5375699.ece

Do the Hokey Cokey and you end up in the pokey
Church and politicians fear mockery of Catholic Mass in Puritan song may be hijacked by bigots

YOU put your right leg in . . . It’s a dance-floor favourite at family gatherings and a good indicator of when elderly aunts have had enough sherry.

But, as the party season gets into full swing, the Catholic church and politicians in Scotland have warned that singing the Hokey Cokey could get you arrested because it contains a sinister, sectarian message. They claim the ditty was composed by Puritans during the 18th century to mock the language and actions used by priests at Latin Mass and could be hijacked by bigots.

Supporters of Rangers football club have been banned from singing sectarian songs at the club’s ground but discussions are taking place on fan websites about singing the Hokey Cokey at matches. Politicians have urged the police to arrest anyone caught singing the song in a sectarian context under legislation on incitement to religious hatred.

“This song does have quite disturbing origins. It was devised as an attack on, and a parody of, the Catholic Mass,” said Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic church in Scotland. “If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use.”

SNP MSP Michael Matheson said: “It is important that the police and football clubs are aware of the sinister background to this song, and take the appropriate action against individuals and groups who use it at matches or in other situations to taunt Catholics.”

The church says the title derives from “hocus-pocus”. The phrase is said to ridicule the words used by priests in the Eucharist, “hoc est enim corpus meum”, or “this is my body”.

--------------------

MMJ
I've just read what this is all about...What a lot of rubbish! Surely there must be more things to worry these small minded folk than this..... and I mean Catholic and Protestant alike.

we teach the English and Maori versions to our wee kids at school (I work in a Catholic school) here in NZ too.... where the English version is often referred to as the Hokey Pokey.
Now... I wonder what sinister and evil connotations those words might have....

Mind you - It'll take on a new and enhanced meaning from now on - liturgical dance. hahaha

joycewilson
Lol MMJ .....think we will all see it diff now rolleyes.gif
weelew
Never heard so much utter rubbish in my life .I am not a catholic ,but i have been to funerals many times in chapels where the mass has been said .At no time if i ever heard them saying or singing anything like the words of the Hokey Cokey or even anything that could be iterpreted as such.Even the dictionary refutes the fact that it has anything to do with Hoc est enim corpus.

Read the link below and make your own mind up .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokey_Cokey
angel
O I,ve long since made up my mind weelew and I,ll dance the hokey cokey no matter what the Roman church says about it or any other one for that matter. the only problem now is that those wackos out there will
use it to stir up more bigoted trouble. so put your left foot wherever you like. laugh.gif laugh.gif Cheers
Heather
It all relates to when the Mass was said in Latin known as the Tridentine Mass.
The Mass changed to being said in English around about the 1960s.

The Missal had the Latin along side the English version so it was easy to follow, especially as we were taught it in School.

It took me a while to get used to the English version as I preferred the Latin and still like when we sing Latin Hymns. The Salve Regina and the Benedictus being among my favourite's, we sing them quite often in our Chapel.
I don't think too many of us would remember much of the Latin Mass now.

I have also sung and danced to the Hokey Cokey and as recent as 4 months ago at a dance in our Parish Hall and did not know there was another version.

If the Rangers fans did not mean any offence, why are they now raking it up and encouraging others to sing it at football matches????????????

MMJ
You know, after Church last SUnday morning we were standing in a largish group outside enjoying the sunshine. There were among us Scottish (moi), kiwi, Indian, Chinese, Samoan and Australian folk. (That's not unusual in any random group of people here in NZ.)
By coincidence, one of them said "we look as if we're about to do the Hokey Pokey (as it's called here). After laughing at the comment, I told them about this discussion and I honestly wish I hadn't,opened my big mouth. They all looked at me as if I was crazy... well, not me personally
but you could see they were thinking "What a weird place Scotland must be."

and I'm reminded again - that our ridiculous "religious" hang-ups are not a global phenomenon and we Scots need to "get over it" as the saying goes. We really make twits of ourselves with outdated bigotries...

True religious practice, regardless what flavour or denomination it follows, encourages respect and makes peace.

jimmyd
Ach!!!! it's jist a load o hocus pocus !!! laugh.gif biggrin.gif
Elma
This subject has hit our local newspaper today from Canwest News Service.

In a letter published Tuesday in the Financial Times newspaper, Jimmy Kennedy Jr. has written that the version of the Hokey Cokey, created by his late father Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy, the renowned Teddy Bears Picnic lyricist who died in 1984 "was founded on a traditional Canadian song and is the one copyrighted and played and danced to all over the world, and still earns royalties. Kennedy Jr. then quoted his father's own recollections about how the future children's classic emerged from a 1942 gathering at a London nightclub where Canadian soldiers stationed in Britain were enjoying a riotous party. "They were having a hilarious time singing and playing games, one of which they said was a Canadian children's game called the Cokey Cokey. I thought to myself wouldn't that be fun as a dance to cheer people up so when I got back to my hotel I wrote a chorus based on the feet and hand movements the Canadians had used with a few adaptations, a few days later I wrote additional lyrics to it but kept the title, Cokey Cokey." Kennedy Jr. said his father told him "the unusual title was to do with drugs taken by the miners in Canada to cheer themselves up in the harsh environment where they were prospecting. And Kennedy Jr. said his father even wrote a message about the song's unsavoury Canadian genesis on the back of the sheet music: "The word 'Cokey' means a dope-fiend.
So is this the true inspiration for the Hokey Cokey, a traditional Canadian folk tune sung by miners in the early 20th century as a drug anthem celebrating the therapeutic powers of cocaine?
Mhoira
If you can go on to you tube and type in hokey cokey and there is a wee video of 3 guys outside Ibrox and other areas 1 playing the bagpipes 1 a side drum and the other a big drum and they are fab ,if I could have I would have put a link but not very good at things like that !!!
joycewilson
Mhoira...Yeah i saw that its hokey cokey at Ibrox on you tube is quite funny really....my sons in a play called Singin Im No A Billy Hes A Tim and they plan to add the Hokey Cokey to that too... wub.gif
Elma
According to the son of the writer it has nothing at all to do with religion, it was an old Canadian song about drugs.
joycewilson
Yeah saw that Elma..... so safe to sing it then lol rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.