Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firhill Park Boxing
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Sport & Leisure
possilboy
can anybody tell me the last boxing match at firhill my father talked about it when i was young i think the fighter came from possil it was for world champ he said fighters gloves where full of blood at the end i cant mind of name back in fifties cheers jw
Elma
Was it Peter Keenan you were thinking of, John? My dad used to go to Firhill and other venues to boxing matches. He was a very mild mannered man but really enjoyed watching boxing and used to get up in the middle of the night to listen to boxing matches with Joe Louis and others from the US.
I don't know when the last match was at Firhill but I'm sure someone will be able to help.
possilboy
thanks elma flam and hudgey let me know through the possilpark sight it was peter keenan he was a pal of my late fathers i just couldnt remember name cheers jw
Eddie McGeough
Hi Possilboy,

My Uncle fought in the last open air fight in Scotland which was 19th June 1960 at Firhill.

I have a photo of him knocking Chima John Agwu ( Nigerean ) to the canvas and it has pride of place in our home.

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.