Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blackcurrant Wine
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
toerag
Does anyone remember getting ginger & blackcurrant wine at Christmas? We used to have it every year, you used to get the essence at the co-op and then make the wine for "Santa" does anyone know if you can still get it? is the co-op still around?
bilbo.s
QUOTE (toerag @ 13th Dec 2008, 03:58pm) *
Does anyone remember getting ginger & blackcurrant wine at Christmas? We used to have it every year, you used to get the essence at the co-op and then make the wine for "Santa" does anyone know if you can still get it? is the co-op still around?

I remember the non-alcoholic ginger wine and blackcurrant cordial we used to have at Ne'erday. There were several brands but I seem to remember Rowat's who also made sauces.
toerag
thanks bilbo, that sounds like the one, it was just the kids that had it.... well also my mammie as she was a tee totaller!!
bilbo.s
The ginger cordial had a lovely cool, sweet taste in your mouth but, boy, when it went down your gullet- like vindaloo!

I took up whisky after that- seemed safer.
Melody
You've put me in the notion. laugh.gif There's another make called 'Yulade' or something like that.
Isobel
Oh I remember it well ,I loved it. If there was anywhere here I could get it I would buy it. If you hear of anywhere Anne let me know.
stuarty
it was blackcurrent cordial and a wasent allowed ginger wine as stones made it and did have an alcohol content in it
wellfield
I remember the blackcurrant wine when we were kids at New Year.
bilbo.s
Stuarty, The green ginger wine, like Stone's is alcoholic and you still get it- an ingredient of a whisky mac. The ginger cordial was non-alcoholic but I don't know if you can still buy it.
Elma
We always had ginger wine at New Year, I can still taste it. smile.gif All four of my grandparents and my mum and dad were teetotallers so that is all that we had. Although my grandpa owned a pub in Lochmaben he never touched the drink, the same as my uncle who took it over when grandpa died.
stuarty
you can get ginger ale non alcoholic as a drink that if a go out as its good for the digestive system will look for ginger cordial back in a wee min a found lables if that helps
stuarty
a got some more
lindamac
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 14th Dec 2008, 04:43am) *
Stuarty, The green ginger wine, like Stone's is alcoholic and you still get it- an ingredient of a whisky mac. The ginger cordial was non-alcoholic but I don't know if you can still buy it.

Hiya Bilbo yeah that Stones Green ginger wine is broadly available everywhere here in actual fact theres a stigma attached to it nowadays as many of the indiginous people drink it to get drunk on the cheap sad realy as it tastes realy good.
lindamac
QUOTE (stuarty @ 14th Dec 2008, 10:05am) *
you can get ginger ale non alcoholic as a drink that if a go out as its good for the digestive system will look for ginger cordial back in a wee min a found lables if that helps

Stuarty Ive just noticed theres a couple of Irn Brew labels there in your piccys I wonder if the Irn Bru we know is based upon these originals ?No wonder Irn bru is a pick me up for hangovers especialy if it has quinine & the orange jiuce in it full of vitamins Hmmmmm? I never new it to be spelt that other way Irn Brew I always thought it was Irn Bru just goes to show you that Bars perhaps bought the recipe over from elsewheres???
toerag
Melody the one you mentioned Yulade seems to be the most memorable, do you know if that came from the co-op?
wellfield
Loved American Cream Soda---funny when we were kids,we called all the drinks a "Bottle of Ginger"
RonD
Yes a boatle o' ginger wiz a rerr treat. Toerag, we hud the coop right across the street, an' ah remember both of them really it wiz furr us weans at Ne'er's eve. . The only time ah remember huvvin' it.
toerag
ron, have you seen it here in any of the shops you visit??
RonD
Not at all, Ann, do you remember the brand names of the people that made it, I could find out if they are still available. While not quite the same. a few years ago, the Liquor store had some Hutchison's ginger wine in temporarily, and we quite enjoyed, it was far superior to thie regularly stocked Stone's ginger wine. So when it was all sold we asked when they would be getting in more Hutchison's to which they never. We asked if they could order some to which they said they could but we had to buy it by the case of 12. We received OK and dedided that one bottle a month would a treat, yes it was so much so that it was gone in a month rolleyes.gif Now that you mention it we should order some more since its a nice warm up in the winter (if it lasts that long ) biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
This thread seems to be unravelling a bit.

Green ginger wine such as Stone's or Crabbie's is alcoholic(about 13.5%) and is available at licensed premises and added to whisky to make a Whisky Mac.

Ginger ale is clear & whisky- coloured ,made by Schweppes, Canada Dry etc and is normally used as a mixer with whisky, brandy etc.

Ginger beer is cloudy grey in colour and made by umpteen soft drinks companies- also non-alcoholic although you can make it yourself and it does ferment.

The drink I believe Toerag remembers was non-alcoholic and I can only remember the brand "Rowat's" who also made vinegar, sauces & pickles.

I believe the essence can be bought at the Co-op to make the last one.

The use of the word "ginger" to describe any kind of fizzy pop or skoosh is, I believe, peculiar to Glasgow area.

Here endeth the first lesson and you will hope the last. rolleyes.gif
gardenqueen
We never had alcohol in the house as mum didn't approve. Dad would occasionally go to Mallon's pub in Lambhill for a pint.

Yes, I remember the ginger wine and blackcurrant (did we call that wine too?). Unfortunately I can't remember the brand name but I know we go the essence of it from the Co-op. Mum would dilute it and heat it if I remember correctly. It could be served either hot or at room temperature. We would have that as a special treat with shortbread as we watched the Hogmanay programmes on the tv. This would be in the late 50's and into the 60s.

It was always considered a special treat and, if I remember correctly, was only sold at around that time of year.

GQ
gardenqueen
I found this link, which has some interesting questions and answers.

http://www.askyourneighbour.co.uk/site.php...16119&cid=9

GQ
bilbo.s
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 14th Dec 2008, 04:21pm) *
I found this link, which has some interesting questions and answers.

http://www.askyourneighbour.co.uk/site.php...16119&cid=9

GQ

Yes GQ' Saw that site today- seems to answer the question but I personally don't recall Yulade - maybe I'm too old or maybe it's that we never used the Co-op.
Melody
Try this wee link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daviddmuir/2153554644/
stuarty
QUOTE (lindamac @ 14th Dec 2008, 01:35am) *
Stuarty Ive just noticed theres a couple of Irn Brew labels there in your piccys I wonder if the Irn Bru we know is based upon these originals ?No wonder Irn bru is a pick me up for hangovers especialy if it has quinine & the orange jiuce in it full of vitamins Hmmmmm? I never new it to be spelt that other way Irn Brew I always thought it was Irn Bru just goes to show you that Bars perhaps bought the recipe over from elsewheres???

barrs call it irn bru as its trade name and a think am a bit young to remember blackcurrant wine as am only 51 and was only 3 at the end of the 50ies wub.gif
stuarty
billbo in glasgow they still call any fizzy drinks ginger them you say whit kind oh limeade for me oh yes laugh.gif
toerag
Garden Queen great wee site,
Melody, thats it exactly thanks a million will try to get some from the co-op cheers!
Melody
I'm going to get it too Toerag, you lot put me in the notion of it. laugh.gif
gardenqueen
Not at all the same thing but thought I would post this link as it is a lovely (non alcoholic) drink which can be taken hot or cold. A lovely alternative for mulled wine. I buy mine at the local farm shop where they do different varieties but the winter berries is very seasonal. You can add mulled wine spices to it if you want to or just as it is. I have also seen it used in dessert recipes.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I just thought about it and it really is nice.

http://www.bakersandlarners.co.uk/belvoir-...0cl-p-2392.html

GQ

John Linwood
YU-Lade ( Co-op ) ginger wine essence - Black currant flavour is still available at the Co-op in Broomlands St. Paisley. The Ginger flavour has sold out.
Note however, that the recipe did change last year in 2008, and it tasted disgusting. I took my 4 bottles of essence back for a refund. I was so disappointed.
Anyway, I did complain most vehemently to the Co-op so I hope that they have taken my word to heart and have maybe reinstated the original flavour.
PS. to tell the difference between the Old original recipe and the new :
Old recipe: Water; Acetic Acid: caramel; Isopropyl Alcohol; Natural Ginger flavouring; Capsicum Oleoresin; lemon oil.
"New" recipe: Water; Citric Acid; Colour-Ammonium caramel; Artificial Ginger flavouring; Capsicum oleoresin; Emulsifier Polyoxoethylene Sorbitan monopalmitate polysorbate 40; Lime flavouring- (probably artificial too ). It tastes rotten, but it might double-up as a chemistry set for your children if they are interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.