Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alex Salmond - How Dare You?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Other Discussions
maryhillgal
A word to Alex Salmond. I will never again vote for you. You did not have the decency to send a representative from the Scottish Government to the Remembrance Day Parade at the Cenotaph in London. It was down to a Welsh representative of Plyd Cymru [sorry if spelling is wrong] to lay a wreath on behalf of the Welsh and the Scots. Am I mistaken or were no Scots wounded, died or went missing in action in any of the wars? You are a disgrace to Scotland and I am sorry I gave you my vote.
Rab-oldname
I was surprised not to see him at the Cenotaph today. Wonder why? Why no rep from Scotland at all? Very, very disappointing. mad.gif
maryhillgal
Rab - it makes me feel very ashamed. Look at all the good work done by Erskine Hospital for the war wounded etc and Mr Salmond chooses to ignore the one day a year to honour the war dead.
maryhillgal
P.S. Have just heard on the news that Alex Salmond was at a service in Edinburgh today. That still should not have stopped him from sending a representative to London.
Heather
Yes it was shown on the news that Alec Salmond was at the Remembrance Service in Edinburgh and attended the Service in St.Giles.

I don't see what the big deal is about not going to London.

Surely as a Scot it was right for Alec Salmond to be at a Service in Scotland.

Did any of the Scottish Political Parties attend the Cenotaph in London??????
Rab-oldname
Pity that David Dimbleby didnt explain Salmonds absence at Whitehall Cenotaph then - the BBC must have known as he made a comment about the Welsh Minister laying a wreath in respect of both countries. No-one objects to Salmond being in Edinburgh, but it would have been nice if they had explained. Canny be in 2 places at once! Even so, surely a deputy could have attended the Cenotaph and laid a wreath from the people of Scotland at the main event - not a 'shared' one with the Taffys. Westminster is, after all, the resting place of the unknown warrior.

For those who missed it, here is a link - [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fh5dr"]
All political parties attended. Having no representation from the SNP was a disgrace. This service is broadcast throughout the world and it actually shows disrespect to our political system - SNP MPs sit in Parliament and more importantly for those who died.
bilbo.s
wacko.gif
Jupiter
Mr Salmond paid his respects.
Melody
Here he is in his rightful place today.

Click to view attachment
DavidT
Last year the Scottish Government laid a wreath on behalf of the Welsh. Don't just take my word for it. Nicola Sturgeon was asked about Scotland's absence on Twitter. This was her reply,

" Nicola Sturgeon Verified ‏@NicolaSturgeon

@raymondtcbrown we lay a wreath jointly with Plaid Cymru. One year they lay it, the next we do. They did it today. Been that way for yrs. "
Heather
I don't know what the big deal is about no Scots Politicians at Whitehall Cenotaph. They may well have been at a Cenotaph in the area they were Elected to serve.

Once again, Alec Salmond was in Edinburgh and Nicola Sturgeon in George Square paying their respects on Remembrance Sunday.
serabash
I think it has been explained why Alex Salmond wasn't in London but did pay respect to the war dead in Edinburgh and Nicola Sturgeon did the same in Glasgow. Folk just love to find fault, would it not be better to find fault with the political party that sent our men to Afghanistan and the political party that is keeping them there.?
farrochie
QUOTE (maryhillgal @ 9th Nov 2008, 06:40pm) *
A word to Alex Salmond. I will never again vote for you. You did not have the decency to send a representative from the Scottish Government to the Remembrance Day Parade at the Cenotaph in London. It was down to a Welsh representative of Plyd Cymru [sorry if spelling is wrong] to lay a wreath on behalf of the Welsh and the Scots. Am I mistaken or were no Scots wounded, died or went missing in action in any of the wars? You are a disgrace to Scotland and I am sorry I gave you my vote.

maryhillgal.

I have just been looking for the protocols for this day, but have not managed to find them. However, I think you'll find that attendance is by invitation, like all main ceremonial events, and I doubt if any politician would turn down such an invitation. Equally, you can imagine the embarrassment if a political leader turned up uninvited. It is not for a leader to send a representative uninvited.

So the agreement seems to be that the smaller parties alternate, by agreement, their representation at the London event.
farrochie
"The service at the Cenotaph is framed to ensure that no-one is forgotten. The wreath laid by The Queen and the other tributes placed on the Cenotaph are dedicated to all who have suffered or died in war. Members of the Cabinet, Opposition Party leaders, former Prime Ministers and certain other Ministers and the Mayor of London are invited to attend the ceremony, along with representatives of the Armed Forces, Merchant Air and Navy and Fishing Fleets, and members of faith communities. High Commissioners from Commonwealth countries also attend the ceremony and lay wreaths at the Cenotaph."
Dave Burnell
Every single Commonwealth nation was represented, including Northern Island, Wales and, this year for the first time Ireland. Except Scotland. The idea that the Scottish government would not be invited is frankly ridiculous. Was the Scottish government seriously unable to find a SINGLE representative to attend the National service of remembrance.

Like the OP, I too went with Alex earlier this year - on the basis of this alone, they have just lost another vote in the future. It was simply disrespectful.
Dylan
Are you saying Scotland were not invited ?

The Welsh Rep. laid Wreath for " SNP "
john.mcn
Is this going to pop up every year, is there any reason whatsoever that anyone from the SG should go down to London when they have a ceremony in Edinburgh.
Dylan
I agree, no.
Samjohn
The absence of a Scottish government representative at the Cenotaph was an act of unadulterated petulance... shame on those responsible!

Dugald.
john.mcn
QUOTE (Samjohn @ 10th Nov 2014, 12:26am) *
The absence of a Scottish government representative at the Cenotaph was an act of unadulterated petulance... shame on those responsible!

Dugald.

That will be the UK government then eh..

Political parties send representatives, the SNP while in control of the SG are classed as a minority in Westminster and together with Plaid Cymru are not allowed to lay a wreath each, so they do alternative years and lay a joint one.

Now if you think that Scotland should be represented then that 'honour' should really fall upon the Scottish secretary, in this case Alistair Carmichael, who was at the service at Edinburgh's St Giles Cathedral along with Alex Salmond.
JAGZ1876
You would think that some people would read earlier posts before typing they're faux anger.
Dylan
QUOTE (Samjohn @ 10th Nov 2014, 12:26am) *

Dugald.

Samjohn /Dugald ?
mairead
Should our own first minister then not pay respects to tthe fallen in our Capital City at our Cenotaph. Must even that go south to be done in London.? No doubt had he gone to London he'd have been called for not being in Edinburgh.
Pro rata, more Scots fell in these wars so if Salmond shows his respect in Scotland and not in England and loses votes as a result, then what in the name of the wee man was the referendum all about. Duh
Samjohn
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 10th Nov 2014, 02:49am) *
That will be the UK government then eh..

Political parties send representatives, the SNP while in control of the SG are classed as a minority in Westminster and together with Plaid Cymru are not allowed to lay a wreath each, so they do alternative years and lay a joint one.

The fact of the matter is John, the guy who posted the "unadulterated petulance" accusation didn't know what he was talking about! He claimed it was 'petulant' because he thought the absence was childlishly spiteful in view of the big loss in the referendum. He was unaware that the sharing with Plaid Cymru was the normal procedure. You are correct and he was wrong, and he thanks you for the explanation.

On the same subject John, he thinks it's not a good idea having different factions doing their own thing so to speak, when they all served in the same national forces being remembered by the Queen at the national Cenotaph.
Samjohn
QUOTE (Dylan @ 10th Nov 2014, 09:36am) *
Samjohn /Dugald ?

Dylan, each of 'Samjohn/Dugald' is the other.
Dylan
Cheers Samdug biggrin.gif
JAGZ1876
QUOTE (Samjohn @ 10th Nov 2014, 12:51pm) *
when they all served in the same national forces being remembered by the Queen at the national Cenotaph.

Far too much nationalism there for Dylan's liking. laugh.gif
mairead
I was enjoying the parade until, (and it may only be because I am a fervent nationalist that little things scream out at me) I heard first the pipers playing 'The Skye Boat Song' and thought. MMM that represents an English victory over the Scots, then came 'The Flooer's o' the Forest. mmm again, a victory for the English over the Scots, but when they played 'There'll always be an England and England shall be free, If England means as much to you as England means to me', that was a bit too much for me. They still don't seem to know that England is NOT the UK, just one quarter of it
Kemedian
The Scottish Shadow Minister for Defence and MP for Moray who attended the Cenotaph last year displays this picture on the front of his website.

Click to view attachment
john.mcn
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 10th Nov 2014, 09:33pm) *
The Scottish Shadow Minister for Defence and MP for Moray who attended the Cenotaph last year displays this picture on the front of his website.

Your point?

http://www.angusrobertson.org/index.php
Kemedian
I'm not making one, just adding some more information.

Stop looking for an argument.wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.