Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welltrees House Rutherglen Scotland
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Family History
the brauns
Hello, I'm looking for any information on a house in Rutherglen, 15 Cathcart Road, called Welltrees House. I know it existed in 1942 and perhaps a bit later. Anyone remember it or have pictures?
penny dainty
Hello Brauns , are you sure it was on Cathcart Road?'Cause to my memory Rutherglen is a long way from Cathcart Road.I could be wrong , there might even be two , but I don't think so. huh.gif
the brauns
Hello Penny, I have two old newspaper articles about my POW father from 1942 stating that he lived at "Welltrees" 15 Cathcart Rd, Rutherglen. That's about all I know other than my older cousins remember my grandparents being caretakers or gardeners there and actually visiting the house.
I have written to the Rutherglen Reformer but they don't know about it.
penny dainty
I have a friend who lives here in Australia who is originally from Rutherglen , I will e mail him and ask if he has heard of it, he would be in his mid 70's I would reckon.
stuarty
cathcart road is not in rutherglen as my sister in law lives there and my brother lives in rutherglen a know that the rehabilitation palses is in the old materiaty at the back of overton park and the tame of the units are limetrees or rowantrees so a dont think its existed in rutherglen am writing in the dark as am to lazy to get up and put the light on laugh.gif
the brauns
Penny, that would be great if you would check with your friend in Australia.

Stuarty, I tried to attach the news article from 1942 stating 15 Cathcart Rd, Rutherglen. Was it ever considered to be part of Rutherglen? I hope the attachment comes through.

Click to view attachmentd.
Elma
Is it possible that Cathcart Road in Rutherglen has been either renamed or even demolished?
the brauns
I received a letter today from the Mitchell (Culture and Sport Glasgow) stating that property at 15-33 Cathcart Rd was demolished in 1957 by the Burgh of Rutherglen. I guess it is recorded in the Rutherglen Dean of Guild indexes. I had enquired by mail a few weeks ago and just received the reply today. So I know there was something at 15 Cathcart Rd. The Mitchell indexes show a house at 15 Cathcart Rd but it is not named. The proprietor was Holmes Ltd. and the tenant was indeed my grandfather. I would LOVE to have a picture of this building. I have a small picture of me with my two cousins sitting on our grandparents laps in front of a building with huge bricks. I'm thinking this might be #15 Cathcart Rd. If it was indeed a large building, someone may remember it.
the brauns
I forgot to mention in the post above, only the front of the house and the doorway are visible in the photo I have.
penny dainty
Well it appears Cathcart Road is indeed in Rutherglen , David my mate remembers it well , his sister works for the Reformer and he is going to Email her and ask if there is anything in the archive about Well field House.I'll let you know if he comes through with anything.
Heather
Yes there is a Cathcart Road in Rutherglen. It was two minutes from where we lived in Kings Park and I used to go to a Garden Centre in that Road.
the brauns
There is a lovely young woman at the Reformer who has been searching the archives for me. She has sent loads of information! I really appreciate her help.
stuarty
QUOTE (the brauns @ 22nd Jul 2008, 12:57 AM) *
I received a letter today from the Mitchell (Culture and Sport Glasgow) stating that property at 15-33 Cathcart Rd was demolished in 1957 by the Burgh of Rutherglen. I guess it is recorded in the Rutherglen Dean of Guild indexes. I had enquired by mail a few weeks ago and just received the reply today. So I know there was something at 15 Cathcart Rd. The Mitchell indexes show a house at 15 Cathcart Rd but it is not named. The proprietor was Holmes Ltd. and the tenant was indeed my grandfather. I would LOVE to have a picture of this building. I have a small picture of me with my two cousins sitting on our grandparents laps in front of a building with huge bricks. I'm thinking this might be #15 Cathcart Rd. If it was indeed a large building, someone may remember it.
a was born in 57 so a knew it wisny in my time but thanks for showing me that it did exist
the brauns
Here's a picture taken in 1948 showing the front of the house. At least, what I believe is the house. Otherwise, I'm not sure where this was taken. Stuarty, looks like I'm a bit older than you, I'm the baby in the picture. Thanks for checking anyway.

Click to view attachment
penny dainty
Aw What a lovely old photo, good luck with your search Brauns.
the brauns
Thanks Penny, I don't have too many of my grandparents. My parents immigrated to America three years later. My grandparents came to see us a few times but I wish I could have stayed in Glasgow and seen them more often.
I have stumbled across this entry about Welltrees Road and am blown away. My mother's cousin was John Mulhinch and his mother Alice Maclaine was my granny's sister. The photo shown was I believe of Alice, Willie and their children John, Margaret, and Alice. I am stunned but I must tell you that I have the Maclaine Genealogy report going back quite some way. Please contact me on

marion.quillan@btinternet.com and I will send it to you.

My sister has Aunt Alice's bookcase and I visited her daughter Alice in Melbourne, Australia in 1964 and saw her again in Scotland around 1988.

Marion Fleming
Margie Vogel
Hi. Not sure if this forum is till open but I stumbled across the picture in google pics when looking for the house my father was born in - Wellfield House, Duns. The picture of the man in the photo has an uncanny resemblance to my father and grandfather.
Glesga Geek
There is a Cathcart Road in Cambuslang according to Googlemaps, it still exists today with a mix of old and new houses, including tennements.
the brauns
QUOTE (Margie Vogel @ 26th Aug 2011, 09:10am) *
Hi. Not sure if this forum is till open but I stumbled across the picture in google pics when looking for the house my father was born in - Wellfield House, Duns. The picture of the man in the photo has an uncanny resemblance to my father and grandfather.

I hope that Margie Vogel is still on the GGBoards. Is there a picture you could send of your father and grandfather. Sorry after all these years, I've just found this. My grandpa was one of 13 children.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.