Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Am I
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127
rossmckenzie
A don't post much these days....way too busy with other stuff but I look in now and again and am interested in Glasgow things.....how the city is changing and anything about our past.
This weekend we went someplace that in many ways defines this city....my own family have connections to it...a lot of families in the city will have connections to it......It was a beautiful weekend and the city looked amazing .....can you guess where I am.
Thomas
Looks like the River Clyde on route to Erskine, with Renfrew on the one side, Clydebank on the other heading towards the Erskine Bridge.
rossmckenzie
The top of the restored Titan at the old John Brown yard.awesome!
rossmckenzie
I think the term is bunnets and bowlers.....Queen Mary workers in 1934
rossmckenzie
I think these were the "gaffers"
rossmckenzie
These were the original crane builders 102 years ago.....look at the wee guy in the middle he looks to be about 12.
rossmckenzie
The originL slipway for all three Queens...or what is left of it and the River Cart
rossmckenzie
The new Clydebank.....2 of the best m8's a guy could have are from here and I have a lot of time for the place.
rossmckenzie
The new Clydebank College and waterfront development.
rossmckenzie
The crane drivers cabin....he had to climb up here every morning and take his "pieces"with him because he never came down until the day ended...he actually had to drop in through a hole in the roof....a never liked to ask what happened when he need to go to the toilet....I was warned not to have anything in my pocket in case it fell out....your so high up you could kill someone below...........
big al
superb images Ross - some height up as well - great shots of the river and erskine Bridge - love the one of the college - looks so elegant there now
Elma
Great pictures as always Ross smile.gif
annie laurie
Thanks Ross enjoyed seeing all the Pictures,
Makes for a interesting change,
Cheers
stratson
Superb pictures Ross, thank you. My grandfather was a craneman, when I see the cranes I think of him. He died seven years before my birth.

You are an excellent photographer young man. biggrin.gif
stuarty
thanks for the oic they were great and a have never been to that part of the city a live the meetings of the rivers wub.gif
betty2
Great pics. Ross I,m sure Hubert if he,s lookin in will appreciate seeing his old home town
Isobel
Ross the pictures are fantastic.Not only are you a very good photographer your shots are also so interesting. Especially to us in far of lands. Always great to see the things that are taking place in dear old Scotland. Many thanks
GG
Great photos Ross, thanks for posting!

The Titan Crane is definitely on my must-visit list, hopefully soon.

GG.
jock
Great photos Ross. I see the Queen Mary frequently in Long Beach, California. Still looks good.

Thanks
wee mags
another nice post Ross thanks for the photos
rossmckenzie
Am really pleased you were all interested in the Titan pictures.I found it interesting,great views and a bit of history as well.It was a cool summers day at the top but I wondered what it must have been like in mid winter ,icy and a freezing cold wind coming up river....tough place to work.
For any locals that might be interested here is the advertising hand out...tells you when its open and how much it costs.
Rab-oldname
Ross: Many thanks for those pictures. I have used the John Browns slipway pic for my desktop. My Dad was a dock craneman most of his working life and all of it on the Clyde, but don't think the Titan was one of them. He did work on a 'Samson' though.I grew up in Renfrew, and the banks of the River Cart were my playground. You can clearly see the spires of Renfrew Town Hall and the Parish Church. There used to be a small lighthouse at the eastern side of the Cart entrance and there was a footpath from Renfrew Ferry all the way along the Clyde and up to Inchinnan Bridge on the Cart, where we walked every Sunday in the summer and did a lot of 'winchin' in the '50s. I pushed my son in his pram across those fields to see the QE2 launch!. Lovely memories.
rossmckenzie
Great post Rab,so much information about the river as well.There are still a few cranes on the river,like the one at Finnieston,am not sure if thats a Samson and in Scotstoun and Port Glasgow'
I have a few pictures taken near Renfrew which I will post but I don't think you will recognise very much.
Before I do that though I wonder if anyone recognises this part of the river,taken yesterday.....its really historic
Elma
Is that Dumbarton Castle, Ross?
rossmckenzie
Will try fast reply and see if it posts...am having mega problems with my laptop this morning.Yeh Elma its Dumbarton if this works I will come back on and tell you about it
rossmckenzie
Lol it worked....it is Dumbarton Castle Elma......never ,ever been here before.My wee bro is learning to drive and last Sunday I took him out on the Great Western Rd and then down the A82,we ended up in Dumbarton and went down this wee road and wow the Castle was in front of us...had my Dads camera with me and the river was stunning but the battery was flat in the camera...was so gutted that I waited until yesterday and went back on my own.nada the tide was out lol so the river did not look so good.....the castle is amazing though..Mary,Queen of Scots lived here before going to France in the 16th C...See Scotland...I just love it.
rossmckenzie
Rab this is Renfrew 2008......you might recognise the tower
rossmckenzie
This might be of more interest to you Rab.....same spot but lookin at the river...the mighty T45'S being built on the river....its still a working river
wee mags
Ross thanks for posting the photos .I had to laugh at you taking your younger brother for driving lessons it seems like you had just learned to drive biggrin.gif
rossmckenzie
Lol ano Stefano was 17 this month...he hates it when we call him Stefano...but its better than Steffie which is what we call him when we really want to annoy him......man he s a
rubbish driver...needs his shades all the time and is always looking at women that are way too old for him.....keep your eyes on the road boy is all I say.
I think am not a bad driver...not had a prang yet.....my g/f man she scares me,she is like a harpie behind the wheel....she has a wee Corsa and its been pranged so many times its a joke...she cannot park it without hitting something...reverse parking she aint got a scoobie what that means.....when my mum and dad know she is coming over they put their cars in the garage
Rab-oldname
Ross. Thanks for that pic which shows the elegant Town Hall tower. Reverting back to the Cart/Clyde photo, its hard to imagine now that Renfrew had three thriving shipyards when I left in 1960, Simons, Lobnitz (the dredgers which dug the Panama Canal were made here) and Hendersons and were located directly, side by side, downriver from Renfrew Ferry, right up to the edge of the Blythswood estate - which is now Renfrew Golf Club, and which you can see through the trees. What a great place to play when we were young.
rossmckenzie
We live in every corner of the world which is brilliant...most of us have a connection to Scotland and for me its easy to post something Scottish and ask if you know where I am.
When I posted the Titan pictures I was well amazed at the response.Just wondered if you post something or someplace you have been would we recognise it......ok nothing obvious like the Eiffel Tower but something that is topical or really interesting......this is probably a hard one if you don't live in Euro 2008... thats a hefty clue by the way...can you guess where it is and what they are celebrating this week
wee mags
Ross you could call him STEVARINO biggrin.gif glad all is well with you and the family
Isobel
That could be down town Toronto , The place is just full of scocer fans,but im guessing it Austria .Car is left hand drive.Big game today Spain and Italy.
Heather
Terrific picture's Ross. smile.gif

I've lived in Glasgow all my days but i'm not much of a townie, so did not recognise where the picture's were taken, except for Dumbarton Castle, I did guess right about that.
stuarty
a loved the pic where mary queen of scot's lived and the beach looks so inviting wub.gif thanks
rossmckenzie
Sorry been away....it was the Italians celebrating in Vienna after a victory in Euro 2008.Was a brilliant tournament this year.Love the way the European countries celebrate a victory....driving through town,horns blaring and waving flags.

Here is another Glasgow picture..any idea where....its pretty easy actually!
Elma
What a beautiful picture Ross. I am so ignorant of Glasgow places now, have been in Canada 41 years, although I have been back quite a few times. Come on someone, tell us where it is.
wellfield
Is it near Townhead.
annie laurie
Renfrew {Somewhere} lovely picture
cooper
Hi Ross,was the photo taken at the back of the Provands Lordship /ie the oldest house in Glasgow/
stuarty
is it leading to the bridge over the clyde at the same place near the shows go in glasgowgreen
rossmckenzie
Cooper is right its the back of Provands Lordship and the entrance to the St Ninian's Garden.

View from the front.
rossmckenzie
Here is another one...anyone know where this is in Glasgow and what it is a reminder of.
wellfield
QUOTE (cooper @ 3rd Jul 2008, 02:39 AM) *
Hi Ross,was the photo taken at the back of the Provands Lordship /ie the oldest house in Glasgow/
Och' can ah no get a wee sweetie,ah said toonhead.
rossmckenzie
Haha ok ,one tube of smarties on its way! I was not sure if if that area was called Townhead..I don't really know what the areas around there are called, its all just the city centre to me.
wellfield
Hi Ross,thanks for the smarties--actually its a bit up from the city centre--it's where the old High St met Castle St going towards the Royal Infirmary.
Tennscot
It is Townhead. I lived right be hind there next to Townhead Baths. Morrin Square which is now part of the Uni. Campus. Welly you should have Known that.!!! I forgive ye Bro.,
wellfield
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 5th Jul 2008, 05:49 PM) *
It is Townhead. I lived right be hind there next to Townhead Baths. Morrin Square which is now part of the Uni. Campus. Welly you should have Known that.!!! I forgive ye Bro.,
Hey Brother,I did come up with Townhead--I'll share my smarties with you.
rossmckenzie
It was only a fun size packet of smarties so don't go getting your hopes up.

Still no idea about the last picture? here is another clue.I had to trim the picture for this one because the building in the background is a giveaway clue as to its location.
60 years ago is another clue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.