Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Georges Cross
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > Images Chit Chat
cowcaddens kid
Hi just been looking at a old tram photo of junction of St Georges Rd, with New city road and Great western road corners in picture , At new city road it was Wood and Selbys store and D M Hoey.
other corners Masseys at junction of maryhill road,
My question is what was the other big shop on great western road at Georges road , i remember this area in late 1950, early 60s before the motorway went through taking a lot of this bit away, tram picture was on National tram museum site at Crich . Anyone help or remember -its one of those niggling ones at the back of my mind

I hope you can help. http://www.tramway.co.uk/photos/73/7290.jpg

Thanks for listening Gee
Heather
Hi Cowcaddens Kid meet another Cowcaddens kid.
I was raised in Sawfield Place just across from North Woodside Road, and moved to Barlanark while I was still at school.
Moved to Shamrock Street at the George's Cross end when I got married and lived there for 5 years, late 50s early 60s and we had to move because of the new Motorway.

We used to go to Hoey's for our School Uniforms.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name of the shop you are asking about. The only one I can recall is the Co-op and that wasn't at the Cross. The only other and I think that was at Charing Cross, was Stuart & Stuart the furniture shop.
stuarty
was it no dallas,es and it was very expensive or was that in charing cross as a got a spanish doll for 29shillings and11pennies that was mega bucks then
Elma
I still have the bookcase that I chose from Wood and Selbys as the wedding gift that I got from the teaching staff at Stow College on Shamrock Street, where I worked. As I say I still have it, brought it with me together with a lot of furniture when we emigrated to Canada, This bookcase has been in daily use now for 49 years!

My friend and I used to walk along Shamrock Street and down St. Georges Road to Woodlands Road where we would get our buses home, she on the #10 to Knightswood and me on the 10A to Scotstoun.

I remember there was a bank at the corner of New City Road, Maryhill Road and St. Georges Road, my (then) fiance and I opened a joint account there to save up before we got married. He worked in the office of R.S.McColls in Maryhill at the time.
murn
Did you try the Mitchell Library, has lots of images of stores, you can search the district or street if that fails try subject

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc....php?a=district
cowcaddens kid
Thanks everybody- esp. Murn -i had a rare time on mitchel site,got a couple of shots but they show Hoeys -still I have seen a lot of interesting pictures.
take good care of yourselves
Cowcaddens kid
Dimairt
Cowcaddens Kid,
Wood and Selby's had premises on both sides of St George's Rd at the Cross as you can see from the attached pics.

Le durachd,

Eddy
Dimairt
Sorry about that last post, here's the other pic.

Le durachd,

Eddy
cowcaddens kid
Hi thanks for the answers and the photos are excellent (are they your own) sorry it took me so long to reply been bogged down a bit then lost my log in details , you have solved my question and i can relax again -it was always nagging at back of my mind.

Gee
*James*
Opposite Wood and selby on st georges road amd great western road in the mid to late sixties was a tv. electrical and record shop which was part of the clydesdale chain. My brother and I bought our first album/LP from there in Jan 1967 or 8. We were the last family to leave that end of Shamrock street in May 1968
DaneyMc
QUOTE (*James* @ 5th Mar 2010, 09:15pm) *
Opposite Wood and selby on st georges road amd great western road in the mid to late sixties was a tv. electrical and record shop which was part of the clydesdale chain. My brother and I bought our first album/LP from there in Jan 1967 or 8. We were the last family to leave that end of Shamrock street in May 1968

I also like you bought stuff from that shop, a 3 inch Reel to Reel tape recorder in 1966 which I still have, thanks to my Uncle that kept it whilst I was away inthe Navy. It still works perfectly and would be interested to hear if anyone has similar stuff that still works from that shop.
It's a FERGUSON ....MADE IN BRITAIN.....beat that Japan.

Have a nice day everyone...Mac
Jupiter
In the picture taken from the roof if you look along you can see a new type building which was a Woolworths shop.The building is still there and by this you get an idea of the line of New City Road.
*jim*
QUOTE (DaneyMc @ 17th Mar 2010, 12:13pm) *
I also like you bought stuff from that shop, a 3 inch Reel to Reel tape recorder in 1966 which I still have, thanks to my Uncle that kept it whilst I was away inthe Navy. It still works perfectly and would be interested to hear if anyone has similar stuff that still works from that shop.
It's a FERGUSON ....MADE IN BRITAIN.....beat that Japan.

Have a nice day everyone...Mac

The Shop IIRC was Machell's - a quality Radio TV retailer.

jim
edwardo
hi Cowcaddens boy
My mother worked in wood and selbys in the 50s another shop I remember was mClays the record shop in new city road I bought my first record from there it was hit the road jack by ray charles I also usud to go to the snooker hall in st georges road not the one above masseys
I also remember the cambridge picture house on new city road and forresters the bike shop next door
Thanks for putting all these photos online! really enjoyed looking through them.

I moved to St Georges cross a few years ago and love to see how things used to be. have recently been told what i know as china town used to be a circus!

I have recently been in a shop in the Buchanan Galleries that sells the work of John Boyd. Must have been 60 different paintings showing Glasgow back in the tram days. definitely worth a look.
QUOTE (*jim* @ 29th Jun 2010, 10:08pm) *
The Shop IIRC was Machell's - a quality Radio TV retailer.

jim

......yes, Machells-used to be sent up on the 18 tram from Rutherglen, around the mid 1950's, with 5.00 to spend on Long Playing record albums, for my Aunt Jane Pearson...the place seemed to me to be a treasure trove of musical goodies, many of which survived until fairly recently, whe I had a big clear out....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.