Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do You Know About Glasgow Tigers
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
Just Watching
It seems everyone has heard of Glasgow Tigers - but few people I speak to know where they are now, or anything else about them. They ride from March to October (season just ended) at Ashfield Stadium in Possil but struggle to get more than 700 to a meeting. As a sport it's fantastic - short, exciting races with crashes adding drama, but few people go along. Have you ever been? If not, why not? If you used to go but don't now, why did you stop? If Ashfield closes, is there anywhere near you that might be suitable (not as daft a question as it seems - Mount Vernon dog track might just turn out to be an option, but few would know where it is.)
Tennscot
Tigers ... We were just talking about them the other night.....Memories. We were talking about Ken Le Breton being a great rider. I think ,that had to be back in the 50s . the other question .... I`m too far away. I was at the Nashville Raceway Nascar Races. a few weeks ago. I was a guest of Rockwell Systems Race team. Had a great time met drivers ,got to sit in the race Car. In the Garage area seeing all the Electronics Etc., The gave us a Scanner & Headphones to listen to Pit talking to Drivers during the Race. Lunch Dinner & Booze. Had to go light on the latter. All in all a great race day. On Ashfield I can still smell and taste the cinders.
Elma
I used to go to the White city with my Dad to the dirt track races. My Dad loved motor bikes, he had one when he was young and he used to go over to the Isle of Man for the TT races. A bit off topic here, I don't think I was ever at Ashfield and I can't even remember any of the riders' names but I loved the excitement and of course, the crashes!! ohmy.gif laugh.gif
championi26
Memories...Iused to go when they were at Hampden to watch Bobby Beaton Charlie Monk etc
penny dainty
Now is this coincidence or what?I had my box of old Tigers programmes in my hand just on friday night , I was in a drawer looking for something else and I came accross them .I have them from way back in 1970 when the Tigers used to race at hampden on a Friday night, Oh I adored them , never missed a meeting in 4 years, except when weather intervened.I remember the Mac millian bros , The Beaton Bros , Templeton Bros, man they liked to keep it in families didnt they.Used to sit beside the pits and got to know a lot of the riders as we chatted to then as they waited to go out onto the track for their races.I remember speaking to the poor Ill fated Sven Kassa just before he went out for his last race which claimed his life at hampden , oh it was an awful night, as I remember it was one of the last meetings they had at Hampden before they moved it away to CoatbridgeI have many happier memories as well though , it was a great time.
stuarty
I USED TO GO ON A FRIDAY NIGHT IN 1970 UNTIL ONE OF THEM HIT THE WALL AND GOT KILLED AND THAT IS WHEN THEY USED TO RACE AT HAMPDEN STAIDIUM WHEN THE BRUNSWICK BOWLING ALLEY WAS THERE sorry am in capitals wub.gifa just read yore post penny dainty a was there that night a got my dates wrong as my brothers used to work as mechanics in the bowling alley but that might have been even earlier a never went back after the guy died as it was so horrible
No. 10 Girl
I used to go when Charlie Monk Rode for them, that would be around 1967 to 69. Used to love the smell of the tyres on the track. smile.gif
hudggy
I used to go to see the racing at Ashfield when I was a boy in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The greatest of all the racer was the Australian Ken Le Breton remember meeting him and getting a signed photo from him seemed to have lost it at sometime in the past. I never went to Hampden but if they are still racing at Ashfield I may give it a look.

Hudggy
Scots Kiwi Lass
This topic brought back so many memories. In my childhood years in the fifties, we often went as a family to watch the Ashfield Giants, also occasionally to White City where the Tigers were then based. We loved the speedway races - the smell, the noise, the excitement. When the Giants raced in Edinburgh (was their team the Monarchs?) we had to be content to listen on the radio. I switched my interest to football at the age of 14 and I believe the speedway in Scotland folded up around then (late 50's) but not sure about that as the memory is a bit hazy here.

Funnily enough, my son Dean (born and bred in New Zealand) got involved in speedway bikes at the age of 13 in Christchurch. He was taught by the all-time great Ronnie Moore and progressed up till he won the inaugural Under-21 NZ Championship at the age of 16. He went to England for a couple of years but found it hard to get into clubs there. He eventually gave it all up at the age of 22. I was actually relieved as I had always been anxious about him getting injured. Dean was also coached a bit by Ivan Mauger, who started racing competitively around the age of 16. There is still a speedway track in Christchurch but it is also combined with car racing - sprint and midget cars. There is occasionally a fatal accident in usually, often involving sidecar bikes.

Thanks for the memories.
No. 10 Girl
That's correct Kiwi Lass it was the Edinburgh Monarchs, it was speedways version of Rangers v Celtic biggrin.gif
norrie123
Glasgow Tigers, been supporting them since 1964.
A pal of mine said to me that season, fancy going to the speedawy, you will like it, I said I was a Giants supporter in the 50s,.
I was very young but if you came from that neck of the woods you were a Giant supporter.
I dont remember seeing any racing but when Tigers moved there a few seasons ago It was de ja vu.
White City, Hampden, Coatbridge two tracks in Blantyre the ill fated venture to Workington in Cumbria, Shawfield and now Ashfield Possilpark.
The rider killed at Hampden was Sven Kassa, I have seen worse crashes and riders walked away from them, this one Sven hit his head on the fence at the first bend, so simple but the stadium went quiet, it was as if we all knew it was bad.
Favourite riders, Charlie Monk, Jimmy McMillan, Steve Lawson, Robert Nagy, and now Shane Parker.
Ther are others who have done a splendid job riding for Tigers and some who were pretty poor.
I have loads of programmes from the 40s till now.
My wife says I should sell them as they are just laying in the celler.
When we moved last year I got rid of all my speedway magazines 1964 to 2006, nobody wanted to buy them but I found a good home for them.
Maybe one day soon I will sell the programmes.

I hope I havnt bored you with this post.
Bye for now, norrie
andypisces
Used to go to ashfield every week or so. Back in the good old days of Merv Wilson, "daddy" grant and of course the great ken le breton" the white ghost". Loved being at the corners and the cinders spraying up into the fans.We all wore balaclavas and it was great fun.
My dad in his young days had tried out for the white city but had a bad leg break and that put paid to that....andypisces
just watchin
Thanks for all your memories. My son is a big Shane Parker fan - Shane is Australian, lives in England but is a total pro and you could believe he has Glasgow in his heart. He has done a lot of work with the Determined to Succeed team, designed to help Glasgow kids make the most of their erntrepreneureal (can't be right) spirit. He also works hard for Speedway in general. Whenever there is anything going on he can be relied upon to be there. Pity about his injury - hope he recovers for next year.

There is a rumour/story going around that Ashfield have sold most of the ground around the stadium/track for houses. Obviously it won't be long until the residents of these new homes complain about the noise & mess, and the Tigers are looking for a new den. Keep an eye on the websites for news - the unofficial one tends to be kept more up to date. See www.glasgowspeedway.com and www.glasgowspeedway.co.uk
eileen steele 55
i used to go on a friday to watchem and if they lost my dad would give me xtra pocket money. they were great that was in the late sixties
eileen steele 55
i used to go on a friday to watchem and if they lost my dad would give me xtra pocket money. they were great that was in the late sixties
penny dainty
I only learned recently that George Hunter formerly of the monarchs then the Tigers died in the late 90's from cancer, he was one of my favourite riders, very sad indeed , he was not an old man when he died.
norrie123
We at Tigers loved to boo George when he rode for Monarchs rolleyes.gif.
He was a good rider right enough.
Yes he was not that old when he died.
There are still a few riders from those days alive and kicking.
Bye for now, Norrie
*john*
I remember speedway at the White City in the 60's. In particular April 9th 1965 - Heat 3 of the Glasgow vs Swindon match and the first time I had seen up close a World Champion in any sport. I wasn't the only one iinterested in seeing Barry Briggs race around White City. I still remember my hero, Charlie Monk, coming out onto the centre green, a tall unsmiling figure standing on the grass at the first bend and watching Briggs every move for the four laps.
Later I was to witness what was possibly the best race I have ever seen - Heat 9 and it was Barry Briggs in White vs. Charlie Monk in Red. A wheel to wheel battle for four laps: Monk on the inside battling to keep his mentor, Briggs, behind him, Wheel to wheel all the way with Briggs blasting past Monk on the outside of the final bend only for Monk to re-take the lead coming out of the last bend and win by inches. Was it fast? The track record was equalled. I think I remember that Charlie even went round for a lap of honour (after some persuasion). The World Champion may have been visiting, but Monk still got his maximum. What memories.
hubert
In 1949/50 a neighbour took his son and I to see the Glasgow Tigers at White City, an Australian I believe he was Junior Bainbridge great rider and fearless, was a favourite!
Now that wisnae yesterday!
Dunvegan
Click to view attachmentMy uncle Dan McKean was a speedway fanatic. I believe he was a track rider at some time,but apparently the only time he ever took me to the White City i screamed and howled so much he had to take me home.
norrie123
HI Dunvegan, there was a rider called Dudley Mckean, any relation
Bye for now, norrie
Dunvegan
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 2nd Jul 2011, 07:33am) *
HI Dunvegan, there was a rider called Dudley Mckean, any relation
Bye for now, norrie

Naw mate, the family was split along religious lines but no one of that name is familiar to me.
norrie123
Hi Dunvegan, I tried to get some info on Dudley McKean best, I could get was he rode for Edinburgh and was from Australia

Bye for now, norrie
JohnTRobertson
I ran a youth football team in the 80's and 90's and a great young player from Erskine played for us. His name was Stuart Dickson - he owns the Glasgow Tigers nowadays, I believe.

He was a right determined footballer so I'd imagine he'll no be the kinda guy that any of his riders should mess about.

huh.gif
norrie123
Hi JohnTRobertson, as so you do know Stewart biggrin.gif

He has been known to rip into riders who are not up to scratch, works most times

Bye for now, norrie

Crewsy Fixer
All I remember of Glasgow Tigers is going along to The Albion Rovers football ground in Coatbridge, I think it was a Friday night first race 7 30.

Machines never really got my attention. I liked the wee Albion Rovers ground though. I went to football matches there too. V Alloa
mitchell
Norrie, I have just read that the Aussie Josh Grajczonek is out for the rest of the season with a broken bone in his thigh.
norrie123
Hi Mitchell, that accident happened weeks ago, Josh was hoping for a quick recovery, its not going to happen, so he is going back to OZ, pity as he was flying
Looks like instead of this being his last season at Tigers before moving up to the Elite League, he will return next season for Tigers and try again for the elite league
Sounds good to me
Tigers have signed a young OZ rider, Richard Sweetman, not as good as Josh but he is improving every week

Bye for now, norrie
Crewsy Fixer
QUOTE (Just Watching @ 3rd Nov 2007, 03:07am) *
If Ashfield closes, is there anywhere near you that might be suitable (not as daft a question as it seems - Mount Vernon dog track might just turn out to be an option, but few would know where it is.)

Could the Commonwealth Games Velodrome be used for Speedway after the Games? Converted of course
kenb
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 4th Nov 2007, 05:17am) *
Now is this coincidence or what?I had my box of old Tigers programmes in my hand just on friday night , I was in a drawer looking for something else and I came accross them .I have them from way back in 1970 when the Tigers used to race at hampden on a Friday night, Oh I adored them , never missed a meeting in 4 years, except when weather intervened.I remember the Mac millian bros , The Beaton Bros , Templeton Bros, man they liked to keep it in families didnt they.Used to sit beside the pits and got to know a lot of the riders as we chatted to then as they waited to go out onto the track for their races.I remember speaking to the poor Ill fated Sven Kassa just before he went out for his last race which claimed his life at hampden , oh it was an awful night, as I remember it was one of the last meetings they had at Hampden before they moved it away to CoatbridgeI have many happier memories as well though , it was a great time.

tigers i sponsored jim beatons testimonial night at blantyre and shawn morans team of world all stars against the tigers and jim and was taken round the track on the back of jims bike two up it was brill and speedway is brll jim beaton was diffrent class i still have theprogram with me to this day memories kenbooth
norrie123
Glasgow Tigers have won the Premier league for the first time in 19 year, last time was 1994 when they done a league and cup double, same as 1993
We lost in the Cup Final to Newport
We finished the season at home unbeaten and won nine away fixtures
Now for next year but we wont have the same riders, as some were on loan from other teams
Bye for now, norrie
Doug1
i remember going to the white city with my dad to see the tigers. We lived nearby and would walk up to the stadium. I was very young at the time so i reckon it would be around the late fifties to the early 60s I dont remember very much other than it being very noisy and exciting and i remember the smell of the fuel the bikes used. After the races were completed dad would take me down to where all the bikes were and you could see them close up and talk to the riders. The only name that seems to stand out was Tommy Miller. I think we stopped going when the white city was knocked down to make way for new roads being built......fond memories now when i look back