Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Wee Donner.
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2
Melody
Dae ye fancy a wee place tae go a wee walk say through town on your way to work, or out with your pals when you were wee?
Jist a wee place tae reminisce about your life in Glasgow. The streets, shops , the people ,your family and friends, the games you played. Joys and sorrows too, it's the one thing that we all share and will be familiar to us all. On ye go, ..... smile.gif
AmazingGrace
that sounds like a grand idea, Melody. I lived in 8 Ellangowan Road, Pollokshaws, just off Haggs Road for anyone who knows this side of Glasgow. My memories of this time were mostly happy as I had lots of friends, we would go out in the morning and play in the back green with two travelling rugs pegged to the washing line and pulled back and held down with bricks. This was our den. Collecting the empties to take round the corner to Mr Nicholson was the best bcoz he always gave us extra sweets in exchange for the empties.
My mum's door was always open as was most peoples and you just had to knock on the door and shout in and the kettle was on. It is such a shame we can't do that today. Growing up was happy then.

I remember the Brownies Halloween parties where we had to get dressed up and it took Mum ages to get me ready and then I had to walk all the way down, very carefully to Shawlands Cross Church for the annual "walk round in a circle so we can see all your costumes".

Anyway enough from me, what about everyone else

Grace wub.gif
Archie Millar
Aye Melody --when a wis wee Seterday efternoon we used tae catch the bus tae Cumberland St ,you could spend the whole efternoon browsing a' the shops there!
When a got older???
Ma favourite "dawner" wis doon Shawbridge St in the 'Shaws'--
A wid start at "the west" (Pollokshaws West) in The Coach an work ma way doon tae Mc Nivens hivin' wan in every "watering establishment" tae a got there--an then!!! ower tae the Burgh tae meet "Her"?? good times
Catherine
We'd roam fur hoors up the hills, they aye looked that close fae yer back windae, but try gettin tae them when yer wee legs wur even weeir laugh.gif
Takin turns tae carry the broon leather shoapin bag, wae pieces n jam, empty ginger boattle filled wae waater...ye thoat ye wur in the movies swiggin oot the boattle, it wis like gettin wan ower yer mum an dad cos we wurnae allowed tae drink oot a boattle. There wis always the edge of excitement incase ye banged intae the auld grumpy farmer Dobie, rumour hudit he shot ye if he caught ye...the fact the auld bas hud his gun wae him everytime ye sighted him made this true!
Every hedge ye fun wae a hole in it wis a den, we'd play in them for hoors, aw bent doon an kiddin oan.Yer knees wid be mockit goin back doon the hills fur yer dinner, starvin...somebudy aye greetin cos they'd either been stung wae jaggy nettles or sunburnt or both.
Ah still love the smell of fresh green grass, ye jist shut yer eyes an it aw comes back. Whit a laugh ye used tae get, we'd so much freedom when ye think of it.
davyab44
Aw Archie....ye broat back lots o' memories wi' yur menshunin' Shawbridge Street. Ah wis in a Glasgow Corporation home for boys after ma Mammy died. It wis ca'ed Auldhouse an' it wis oan Thornliebank Road.....Ah used tae go tae Sir Jake's at that time. Wan o' ma favourite things, since we weren't allowed to leave the grounds during the week, wis tae p

lay fitba' oan the cinder pitch we hid at the hame....Auldhouse meaning 'THE HOUSE BY THE BURN' used to be a monastry and funnily enough after 45 years I still remember the inscription above the old fireplace..................
" THE BODY FOR THE SOVL WAS FRAMD, THIS HOVSE THE BODY FOR, IN HEAVN FOR BOTH MY PLACE IS NAMED, IN BLISS MY GOD TADOR 1631 "....TADOR means I adore thee.....b'the wey that's no a personal remark Archie...........Ah like ye the same wey Ah like the rest o' ma faimly oan the boards.

davyab44
iancameron
QUOTE (Archie Millar @ 21st Mar 2004, 02:23 PM)
Aye Melody --when a wis wee Seterday efternoon we used tae catch the bus tae Cumberland St ,you could spend the whole efternoon browsing a' the shops there!
When a got older???
Ma favourite "dawner" wis doon Shawbridge St in the 'Shaws'--
A wid start at "the west" (Pollokshaws West) in The Coach an work ma way doon tae Mc Nivens hivin' wan in every "watering establishment" tae a got there--an then!!! ower tae the Burgh tae meet "Her"?? good times

A wee bit further Archie and you could have had one in the cabin bar rolleyes.gif
Scotty
Melody
Happy Days growing up in the Shaws the Baths then after to Hoggs the Bakers for our hot rolls my Mum and her Pals in the Steamie
The Cafe in Shawbridge St where we lived getting the Hot peas and Vinegar

Every one knew everyone else the doors were always open
and you called your elders Aunt Uncle

Thornlibank where my Grandad lived the Blue Bell Woods the Sunday School trips

Happy Happy Days

Joan Chester
Via the Shaws Barrhead
wub.gif
wee mags
for me it wis a wee walk doon the dale tae the Monkey park {nae idea why it was called that there wissnae any monkeys in it}with ma wee brother and sister in tow and oor pieces/n/jam and a bottle of water,and we would sit there watching the trains and the men would blow the horn and wave to them,nice memories I often wonder if they remember it ,then as I got older it was going to Kelvingrove Park to rollerskate and when you took the skates aff yir feet were stinging ,nane o the new fangled wans the wans we used were made with steel and the leather strap around yer feet cutting the circulation aff!!! biggrin.gif
ca,ppp,doremi
Heavens Catherine, Are you talking about the farmer that lives up the hill behind your Mums house? That's where I took the kids for a walk,and we went inside the farm to look at the cows. He came roaring out of the yard in his car, and I know he must have seen us,cause the wee dog came to greet us. At the time I thought to myself,cripes he hasn't much regard for the kids safety. Melody,so many memories,but mostly of like you,we hung curtains in the back court,and had a wee concert,with singers and dancers,and we charged a hapeeny to get in. Most saturday mornings,I would walk up town to buy the latest popular record,and some satin ribbons for my pigtails....Oh happy days.......
Catherine
Oh like crabbit faither like crabbit son then Rena....That's his son who has it now, though his wife is a nice woman. The auld faither used to have corn fields wherr Gerard an Sadie live now {aw those new houses as ye come intae the village} We'd get caught hidin an run like hell through the fields wae him swerrin an roarin behind us.
Really aw he hud tae dae wis be friendly an tell us tae skirt the field instead a runnin through it an ruinin the crops, we didnae know...we jist thoat we'd get shot if he caught us laugh.gif
The boys still remember that wee walk ye had wae them too pet.

Ye huvtae laugh though, that trainin as a commandoe then sure helps noo when ahm lookin efter ma boys.
Isobel
Amazing Grace, I used to work beside a girl who lived on Ellengowan street, her name was Cathy Sweeney I think she stayed with an aunt. She still lives there . Do you know her?
One of my favourite things to do was get on my bike with about nine or ten other kids and cycle through Hogganfield Loch ,then eat the picnic that we had all packed . A butter and jan piece and a cookie if you were lucky. We lived right beside the loch what fun we used to have.When you think about it I must have been about eleven or twelve then .Can you imagine letting your daughter do that today. Like you say Catherine we had so much freedom.Also used to love going to the Saturday morning matinee. Big treat every week.
Remember the song:
We come a long on a Saturday morning greeting everyboby with a smile .
We come along on a Saturday morning knowing that its well worth while
were members of the ABC.......can't remember the rest.
GREAT TIMES HAD BY ALL .God we were easy pleased really laugh.gif .
AmazingGrace
Isabel, don't tell everybody but you can just call me Grace wink.gif I was living in Ellangowan Road from when I was brought home from the hospital 22nd Feb 1955 to 1965. What was her aunt's name? So many names from those days the name sounds familiar.

Grace
jannymac
The childrens home you were talking about Davyab44 in Auldhouse, after it was closed and lying empty, I think that was the house me and my pals used to go in, we called it the "haunted house", then we would leave there and go up to the big hill behind it, before it became Hillpark school. Everyone would remember Pollokshaws baths and the hot rolls, and Sandra's cafe in Shawbridge Street. Then as I got a wee bit older we used to hang about the Brooklynn cafe in Minard Road and maybe walk through Queens Park.
AmazingGrace
Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh I remember the walks through Queens' Park with .......................................? wub.gif
jannymac
I think I know who you are talking about Grace, lol, Queens Park was one of the favourite haunts for the Shawlands Academy doggers, not that I was one, biggrin.gif
Archie Millar
A know the home your talkin' about--it wis on the road tae Thornliebank---hud a boy in oor class called James Cole-Reid
who lived there.

Ian a used the Cabin the Stag at the toons hoose--an' then doon Greenviews St.tae the Pollok bar an' across the road tae the Swan.
AmazingGrace
Ye do ye, young jannymac, I can't believe I actually blushed there when you said that, and who do you think it is then ph34r.gif I was never a Shawlands Academy dodger either. Maybe that could be classed as after school activities. If he reads this he will know who we are talking about too.

I told him about this site so he will have a laugh if he reads this.

My aunty margaret lives in greenview street and i used to wait at the corner by the swan for my dad and my granda getting off the bus after the Rangers match on a saturday afternoon.

Grace
ginny
i mind we used to play*ring,bang,scoosh* and hide under the hedges thinkin we couldnae be seen,and gettin a beltin when we got in and wonderin whit fer.I loved the Sunday outings,either visitin a relative fer Dinner or in the summer goin over tae Rouken Glen i loved that place.Goin tae the *Baths*wis brilliant,and we always got money fer a bag o chips efter,hmmm soaked in vinegar rolleyes.gif
thistle46
Nice memories everyone.
Remember playing in the triangle at Craigie Street and Prince Edward Street (across from Strathbungo). A bunch of us would play in the fallout shelter in the backcourt which was full of dust –swept it out to make a clubhouse – it was so dark (no windows)—came home filthy – mom knew where we had been!! Good times rolling down the hill and picking daisys at Queen's Park. Played a game on the stairs ( I think it was Mon. Tues. Wed..) flipped over the bannister and landed in the dunny - ended up in the Victoria with concussion!!
Catherine
laugh.gif Sorry Anne but ah burst oot the laughin at the end of yer post therr.
ginny
QUOTE (Catherine @ 22nd Mar 2004, 05:15 PM)
Sorry Anne but ah burst oot the laughin at the end of yer post therr.

i'm the next wan to say sorry biggrin.gif
thistle46
aye Catherine/Ginny - like ma brothers - got a lot of miles out of this - always thought there was something wrang wi yer brain!

biggrin.gif
Melody
Absolutely brilliant wee stories here, we sound a bit like the 'Bash Street kids' what a laugh thinking about all the simple fun we had when we were wee. I was talking to my girls about how my pal and I used to tumble over the bars, do you know I don't know how we never cracked our heads on the concrete underneath!!
I also have a memory of sliding down a concrete bannister and it always made holes in my pants. Oh and the wee tents we made with a blanket over chairs, our own wee world lay within. Sure it wis great when we were wee. Keep them coming......
wee mags
we used to sting ma mammys rope from the one drain pipe to the pole for the wash back to the other drainpipe and then we would get coats and wolla!!! the Glesga version of a hammock ha ha ha,then ma pals and me Ena Alice and Irene cleaning oot the air raid shelters ta hiv a concert,and us practising our songs ,and me hitting Alec Watson because he wanted to sing the song I had been practicing to sing awe week ,oh the muck ma mammy widnae let me in the house she would make me get right into the bathroom and take all my clothes of in there .then she wid put them out on the washline till the next day jist incase!! biggrin.gif
Gemini
oor time wis gaun tae Alexandra Park, we wid make a fishing pole ootta an auld stoaking and a pole and goe up there fishing wi oor jeely jaur in hand, or it was doon to Tollcross Park and go in and see aw the braw things in the musuem or jist go strolling through the gairdens sometimes we went up tae Hogganfield Loch or go tae Mulgie(ah know thats no the spelling jist cuttin' it short here) and of course lets not forget aw they grand games jist hinging oot in the street yi know chap door run away kick the can jump ropes rounders oh wis grand way back then no a motor in sight, jist men coming hame frae work oan their bikes.

Those were the days mah friends biggrin.gif wink wink tongue oot big smile
Scotty
Hi Janis Grace I remember the Park well Say no more
I only dogged School once me and Marlene Armsrong we nearly got caught by her Mum and me being a wee scardied cat never done it again but oh the fun we had

Skating at Crossmyloof going to the Cafe up the Mearns
and the good old Rouken Glen

Can anyone remember the name of the Cafe at the Jenny Lin
Smoky something I think
We also used to swing on a rope over the burn in Arden till we got caught

Great Topic so many happy memories

Joan Chester
wub.gif
andypisces
for me a wee donner wis doon tae the blythswood or the seamore picture halls or a wee bit longer walk tae the star. Anything further meant a caur . Sundays in the summer it wis long walk time and often that took us from queens cross right up through maryhill tae the killermont bridge then oan tae the rio picture hall and up over the swithback doon through anniesland and doon tae the cross. Then alang gt western road past binghams boat pond and maybe up over kelvindale and back tae maryhill or sometimes walk doon tae queen margaret drive and then hame that way. Goad jist talking aboot it makes me tired nooadays.A can tell ye it wis nice walkin alang wi tommy McCaw and his girlfriend, ruth broadley at the time and mine sheena west . We did that walk often. Some of you mentioned the back court concerts where we a' did a turn and charged admission and then took the money doon tae the daily record and goat a mention in the pat roller column . We usually donated oor money tae eastpark home for infirm children as it wis called then. Getting lifted o'er the turnstyles at firhill. Sorry tae see they dont allow that anymare. Life was fun in those days and you didnt need money tae huv fun. Jist as well cos we didnae huv any......andra
jannymac
Scotty, I thought the cafe at Jenny Linn was called considine's, its nicknamed could well have been smoky something or other. biggrin.gif
jannymac
Grace, I beleive your boyfriends initials were A.H. hope Im right, but think I am. wink.gif
AmazingGrace
Hmmmmmm!!! unsure.gif
betty2
Lots o happy memories here the donner's in the parks the donner's walkin hame fae the pictures wae a bag o chips in yir haun. later oan it wis a fella oan yir airm donnerin aboot lookin fur a back close fur a good winch wub.gif
Melody
Right...don't be shy give us the winchin' days...oh my we're back to the dunnies.....remember going to the dancin' in all the latest fashions, walkin' doon Buchanan Street takin' the arm of your latest date, the pictures or the dancin'? We never ate out in those days we wouldn't dream of it....ah mean ye'd jist had yer dinner laugh.gif Imagine wastin' good winchin time eatin'!! Oh to be young again, Sure it wis pure magic!
Scotty
Thanks Janis
It was Constines
I dont know where I got Smoky something from Old Age me thinks

We used to go Dancing at the Barrowland Oh what good times we had

If I could turn back Time probably still do the same again
By gum Grace you are a Dark Horse
Only kidding

great topic keep them coming

Joan Chester
Via the Shaws and Barrhead
wub.gif
betty2
Nae eatun oot then we hudnae the money fur it , nae taxi's either we wur lucky if we hud wur caur fare. But the magic o paradin wae a fella oan yir airm an those dunny's ahhhhmmmmm magic moments xxxxx

--------------------------------
betty2 dreamin oan wub.gif
Melody
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh wub.gif
anne
Hi to all, my Mum was so strict. I couldn't wear makeup or straight tight skirts, so I had to hide makeup all over the place and put my tight skirt on under a flouncy skirt, it was a laugh trying to get on the bus with tight skirt that nobody knew I had on and trying to put Panstick and black eyeliner on the bus was not fun either. I paid half fare going dancing and full fare on the way back. If I got a lumber home I had to get rid of him so I could get the makeup off before going into house. I got caught by my Dad in our close, there were 2 houses then close and 2 houses again. Our front door was stuck so Dad came out the back door and through the close to put the milk bottles on front step, never used our close again !!!!!

Anne Perth Aussieland cool.gif
davyab44
Hullawrerr jannymac
Aye, when ah wis back hame in '83 Auldhouse wis a' boardit up.... wis kinna sad tae see it like that....it wisnae sich a bad place tae be an' thae treatit us awright...bit time & tide as they say....but I still have fond memories of Pollockshaws an' cin relate tae the places ye mentioned. Dae ye ken whit's happened tae it noo?

davyab44
jannymac
posted some recent photographs davy, a lot of changes in Pollokshaws now.
betty2
Up sauchie an doon buchhie an then oan tae argyle
A wee donner roon here am sure wid raise a smile
Noo we'll head alang the gallowgate tae the barra's we'll go
Ah cin see yis aw smilin as we sway to.n.fro
How long since many o you visited these places
Is that a tear ah see oan some o yir faces
No a loat hus chinged in this part o the toon
There's plenty o pubs if yi feel like a sit doon
An remember wae back when yi took aw this fur granted
But it wis a better life abroad many of you wanted
So fur yis aw ah'll take this donner
And intae a pub i'll probably wauner
I'll raise ma gless an tae yis aw ah'll toast
In this coarner o glesca the memories are never loast rolleyes.gif

```````````````````````````````````````````````````
cheers
Teeny
Remember gaun tae Tiffany's dancin' alang Sauchiehall Street oan a Setturday night wi' ma pals.

They hid a wonderful big pooder room doonsterrs 'n balcony's upsterrs wherr ye'd sit doon wi' yer "catch".

Richmond Park wis a fav place tae go. Ye'd buy a loaf o' bried tae feed the ducks 'n swans and also catch baggy minnows. Ye'd hiv a wee ride oan the boats if ye were "in the money" 'n watch peepul sailin thur wee haun' made boats oan the pond.

Gaun tae the shows o'er the Glesga Green wis alweys a big hit every year. Remember the smells o' the hamburger caravans like it wis yesterday, an' awe the sounds of the generators working the rides, the scared lassies screamin' oan the dive bombers 'n the guys pushin' ye roon 'n roon oan the waltzers ...
jimmyd
Loved it Betty thanks hen!!
Ah the joys of youth,would I, could donner roon they places again.Still maybe the memories are more precious than the reality would be!!
Bet ye aw hid an Uncle that sang this at the parties. Gaun yersel there ,wan singer ,wan song !! biggrin.gif

Barefoot days, when we were just a kid
Barefoot days, O boy, th things we did
We'd go down to th shady brook
With a bent pin for a hook
We'd fish all day an' fish till night
But th darn ole fish refuse to bite
How we'd slide down some ole cellar door
Slide, an' slide, until our pants got tore
Have to go home an' stay in bed
Till Mother got busy with th needle an' thread
O boy, what joy, we had in barefoot days
Teeny
on yersel jimmy ... ye still oan the wunnerful Aussie wine therr LOL
betty2
Aw jimmy that wis great pour yirsel a drink an donner further doon memory lane an gie us the wan that really makes you think of home rolleyes.gif

CHEERS
jimmyd
Cannae really go there with that one Betty,too painful,hard enough coping with this,winchin and dancin stuff. biggrin.gif
buntyq
Melody, this is a great post. I remember my Mom and I going for a wee walk (must have been miles) out the Lambill Road, over the Canal, past the cemeteries, McBrearty's piggery, where you held your nose, past the colliers wee cottages, along Blackburn Road, so we could sneak some neeps, then on to the tram terminal in Maryhill. And we called that a wee walk! Once, while having to lie through an MRI I walked my way from Garnethill all the way up Garscube Road - stores and all - to my home in Possilpark. ohmy.gif
Isobel
ohmy.gif Jimmy that wee song brought a tear to my eyes . My dad used to sing that almost fifty years ago. Do you know the rest of it .?
Melody
Great to see you posting again Bunty, you always have great stories to tell, I sure missed you. You nearly made me cry there thinking of you in that horrible machine all alone, how marvelous that those thoughts and memories of your mum and those walks got you through. I walked it with you there.
Love from me.
betty2
Do you ever think just how many walks we have taken since our first steps I remember the walk i took on my first day at school, later on i walked in the may day processions, then there was those long summers when i walked round many of glasgows parks,. In my teens i walked home from the dancin wae a bag o chips an there wis also the lumbers we walkied then again it made the night last longer. Then came the day I walked up the aisle on my father's arm to become Mrs. Then the next few years I was back walking in the parks again this time pushin a pram, taking that first day at school walk with my children all four of them . Oh there was so many more walks i took fighting for a fairer wage and such back then i was active in the unionsNae wunner ma legs ur sair the day an ah've tae take taxis even when gawn tae the bingo But oh how i'd love tae dae aw they walks aw ower again biggrin.gif
Scotty
Hi Betty
How right you are how many walks did we all take I used to walk from Dykebar to Barrhead when I was doing my Training from Thornliebank to Shawlands and never bat a eye lid

The kids today wont walk the lenth of themselves mind you it was not realy a option for most of us

I still love my walks looking forword to a few when we go up to Balloch for a week after easter

Joan Chester
Via Shaws Barrhead
wub.gif
buntyq
Melody, an MRI can be a scary thing, especially if you dont like closed spaces. You certainly have to make sure that you make a good pit stop before the procedure because if you have to go they stop and start all over again. Its like having a house built over ones head. I had to concentrate and I knew that since I walked home from Garnethill every day, remembering all the places I passed would keep me occupied. Although so many of those old houses should have been torn down long ago, the Garscube Road area was certainly colorful and the walk home got me through the claustrophobia - that and listening to Celine Dion. Although I am not familiar with other places in Glasgow I love to read these memories.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.