Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moeshy
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Childrens' Comics/Games/Toys
big karen
Probably spelt it wrong but it was pronounced Mo-sh-ae...you dug three small holes in the tarmac out the back and you had to throw coins into the holes but you could also knock other coins away...can't remember exactly how it is played and so if anyone does can you let me know...jist so i can sleep the night..
Marion Niven Dougan
Welcome to the GG Karen. Sorry I can't help with the game. I do remember lots of them, not this one
Luceo
I remember the game but it is my recollection that it was played with marbles (bools?).

Luceo
maryhillgal
I also think it was played with marbles Karen but will check up for you.
hughmac
Karen's right. The gamblers played with coins, and the person who got his coin in all three holes first was the winner and collected all the pennies!
There was also a game where you threw your coins up against the wall and the winner was the nearest. And then there was tossing two coins up in the air and betting on they side they landed. Some of these were serious gambling games played by adult men.

I think us kids may have used ha'pennies or even farthings! (Go on, ask me, whit's a farthin'?)

Answer: a quarter of a penny, or half a ha'penny or in todays currency, about a tenth of 1p.!
weelew
Big Karen is exactly correct . Ther4e was three holes called moats and the object was to get your PENNY as in old money into the moats you threw your penny at the moats and if you hit someone elses then you lifted that penny and then you had another shot at the next moat up to the last moat .We used to play it after school in the lane between Garthamlock and Ruchazie ,everyone had there favourite penny whjch they would polish untill you could see your face in it.
hughmac
Hi Weelew,
Wis that the lane that ran by the water tanks? I lived in Binns Road, Garthamlock between 1955 and 1964, which was near there. My memories of 'moshie' however, were from the back courts of Bernard St., Bridgeton, before we moved to the 'far west'.
jimmyd
Moashey we played with pennies or bools you had the three holes ,and you tossed a coin or done the paper and scissors ,or some other method ,to see who went first Once you had managed to go up then down the holes sucessfully . you were then "dougie" and you could try to hit , the other guys penny or bool He could not get to you till he was dougie. I have seen the game go the length of a street, as you had to hold your bool , at shoulder height as you threw it, so if you missed , it would skid along for a few feet , and the other guy had to try and hit yours and so on.Great summers night game.
weelew*
QUOTE (hughmac @ 26th Oct 2008, 07:26pm) *
Hi Weelew,
Wis that the lane that ran by the water tanks? I lived in Binns Road, Garthamlock between 1955 and 1964, which was near there. My memories of 'moshie' however, were from the back courts of Bernard St., Bridgeton, before we moved to the 'far west'.

Thats the very same place ,i stayed in Ruchazie and went to garthamlock secondary school ,we had to walk up and down that lane every day ,thats where all the school fights were to .
mrssnuffy
Ma Mammy told me aboot Moeshy which was played wi Jawries (?) and that was back in the early 1900s. Wonder if kids today even know what marbles are?
Foxy52
Mrssnuffy, l just seen a bg of marbles at the local Wal-Mart the other day, l have seen them in some of the dollar stores too.
Foxy
mrssnuffy
Hi Foxy 52. Where did you live back home?
Foxy52
Hi mrssnuffy, l was born and raised on Keppochhill Road, number 419, next to Pinkston Road. I went to Keppochhill Primary then onto Possil Junior Secondary on Saracen Street. Now living about 20 miles north of Detroit, Michigan
What about you?
Foxy
mrssnuffy
Hi Foxy, lived at Paisley Road Toll, above the Old Toll Bar. Then moved to Castlemilk. Went to Shields Road, Scotland St., Windlaw and Strathbungo schools. Left in 1973 for work and now live a couple of miles outside of DC. My nickname all through school was Foxy and then later on it became Foxy Lady!!!!
Foxy52
Hi again, My oldest sister used to live in Fairfax Va. about 10years ago.
When l drove trucks l went there a lot, hated the D.C. traffic....
retired now, leave the driving to my youngest son. I have 2 step sisters, who went to school in Castlemilk, but l'm not sure which school, Their names are Mauren and Ann Fox, Maureen left school l think 66/67, and ann would be around73.
Foxy
mrssnuffy
Hi Foxy52, where in Fairfax? If you hated dc traffic then you'd do your nut in now. I swear it's taken years off my life. Nobody would speak to me when I first got into the office; gave me time to calm down and have a couple of coffees!!! Don't know your other sisters. I never knew any other Foxes, only family.
Foxy52
Hi again mrssnuffy, l got my places mixed up, she lived in Falls Church W.Va, but worked in Frederick, Maryland. She was director of admissions for ITT technical Colleges. She moved around a lot. She is retired now and living in Lewisburg Tenn.
I have to admit that when l was driving trucks the cities l hated most were.... Chicago, New York, and L.A. I miss the job though, but every now and then my son will let me drive for a day or two,Funny when you think about it, l bought the truck!!!!!!
Foxy
mrssnuffy
Hi Foxy, was in Detroit once in Jan. 1978 and I think DC at present is worse. Finally got driveway cleared but more snow tomorrow. Did you mean Falls Church, VA.? I used to live there also. It's amazing how may ex-pats are in the US and how you meet them. I was in Vegas a few years ago wityh my husband and we were watching the gondolas, chatting away when the man next to us said I know where you from. His wife was getting out of gondola and came over to tqlk to us. She had lived in Castlemilk, the next close to my then boyfriend. I've had quite a few interesting meetings. Small world.
Foxy52
Hello again, l just got off the phone with my sister, she told me that l had it wrong again! She used to live in Falling Waters W.Va. but she did travel to Frederick Maryland everyday for work. She told me that she lived about an hour and a half outside D.C.
I moved to Detroit in 1977, and that winter into 78 was the worst l can remember. We built the kids an igloo in the front yard in the January, it did'nt all completely melt away till the beginning of April.
I have come across many Scots in mine time here, like l said before l had a truck and would drive all over the 48.Mostly to auto plants, and that is where l met the most Scots. Then playing in a pipe band for almost all the time over here l met a lot there too, mostly spectators at the different Highland games
Foxy
mrssnuffy
Hi Foxy, glad you finally found out where your sister was living!!! Hope you had better luck when you were trucking (tee hee)!!! Do you play the pipes? And, do you go to any of the highland games around here? Funny thing for me was that most of the people I met who were in pipe bands were "wannabe" Scots. Dated a Drum Major for awhile. Looked great in his kilt. Ah, that's a far distant memory.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (mrssnuffy @ 18th Feb 2010, 01:00am) *
... Funny thing for me was that most of the people I met who were in pipe bands were "wannabe" Scots.

Over the Border here in Basel, Switzerland, the have each year a massive big Pipe Band day with hundreds of bands. I think they actually call it The Basler Tattoo. I went one time with a German mate and couldn't wait to get chatting with some o' the big bagpipe players who all looked about as Hielan' as you can get.
Wrong rolleyes.gif
Not a Jock among them.
They were Swiss, they were German, they were Austrian to a man.
Still, it's nice to know that we have that effect on people all over the world. biggrin.gif
Glad someone else remembers this game .....
Would love to know the history ?
Glesga Geek
I remember playing this game a lot in Primary school 30 + yeara ago !

we called it Moshie - I couldnt remember the exact rules - but I think it did vary like any game between pals. I googled it and came across this excellent description - but it does vary from the way we used to play it - but its close enough!
http://www.electricscotland.com/lifestyle/weekend9-3.htm

Also came across this amazing reference to Moshie or Hashie in the Glasgow Herald archives printed in 1946
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507...pg=2277,6020801

delmet
QUOTE (big karen @ 10th Oct 2007, 07:16pm) *
Probably spelt it wrong but it was pronounced Mo-sh-ae...you dug three small holes in the tarmac out the back and you had to throw coins into the holes but you could also knock other coins away...can't remember exactly how it is played and so if anyone does can you let me know...jist so i can sleep the night..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.