Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rugby World Cup France,2007
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Discussions > Sport & Leisure
rossmckenzie
1st match of what will hopefully be an awesome 6 weeks. France v Argentina...stunning start to this amazing competition as France(my choice as probable winners) went down 12-17 to Argentina in the Stadt in Paris tonight. I was left gasping as France threw it away. Argentina were superb tonight and I have a friend who lives in Buenos Aires...man she will be celebrating tonight.
Can’t wait to see how this weekend plays out as everyone gets under way and Scotland meet Portugal on Sunday?
My heart supports Frank Hadden and Scotland but realistically I think maybe South Africa will surprise a few people as this competition powers on.
I have a ticket for Scotland’s Nz game at Murrayfield and it will be awesome and courtesy of Ryan Air I have a trip to Paris in October...no game tickets yet but hey you never know!.....

http://www.stv.tv/content/sport/Rugby/
Elma
We see so little of rugby here Ross, so thanks for your comments. I'll be surfing the channels to try and find more info.

Great to see you back, by the way smile.gif
rossmckenzie
Canada are in pool B Elma...ok Aus and Wales...wow tough competition but I thought Canadian TV would cover their games especially out west where most of your players come from...

The link I gave covers live games and repeats so if you can't get a connection let me know and I will find a link somewhere,

Can't imagine not getting total coverage of live games.

Been an awsome summer but its cool to be home as well.
rossmckenzie
Ist full day and a great lunchtime start with NZ playing Italy....ok no match but it was a great game.76-14 for NZ.Me,well a was supporting Italy.A have 2 kiwi cousins in Europe this month for RWC...not seen them yet cos they are in France and won't arrive in Scotland until next week.My mum is like aw thats good you can all go to Murrayfield together....eeehhh don't think so am not even gonna travel through on the same train.
Was a great game though and if this is how the next 6 weeks go a will be well happy.
Nz/Italy just finished and the Aussies are on against Japan...am a big Aussie fan so this will be good...then we get England against America.......my mum is like are you lads going to get your bums off the couches at all today..........nah,don't think so! and the sun is shining like mad outside and we have the blinds all closed.
NZ game all I could hear was a Mariachi band playing,now the Aussies are on and am amazed at how many guys I have seen in kilts..............whats that all about and I can hear the bagpipes..we must have a few Scots Aussies in the crowd.....go Aussies!
mitchell
Scotland were rather fortunate to scrape home with an 18-16 win against Italy in difficult conditions.
To be quite honest! I thought that Scotland would have been well used to playing it.
Paul Kelly
The Rugby World Cup has finally come to life. I enjoyed yesterday's Wales v Fiji and Scotland v Italy matches. I think Scotland and Fiji both deserved to go through to the quarter finals. I am also looking forward to today's Ireland v Argentina match. I am sure Scotland must be hoping for an Argentina victory so as to avoid playing France in the quarter finals. The Scots must fancy their chances of making it to the semi finals if they have to play Argentina in the quarter finals. The England team also seems to be improving as the tournament progresses though I can't see them getting past Australia in the quarter finals. I think New Zealand and South Africa will make it to the final and that the All Blacks will be crowned World Champions. I can't see the All Blacks slipping up again this time as they have done in previous World Cups. I will probably have to eat my words next month.
Scots Kiwi Lass
Hi Paul

Sorry to say it - you will have to eat your words! Once again, our much loved All Blacks didn't come to the party against France. We are all gobsmacked here and pretty speechless really, there has been such a huge effort, not to mention millions of dollars, put into this World Cup and we all had such high hopes of the ABs. Mind you, once it gets past the pool matches, it is down to either of the two teams playing on the day and this time France carried it off. NZ is in mourning and already the inquests have started.

I was in Scotland when the ABs played Scotland at Murrayfield and went to the game with my daughter. We had a great seat and a terrific view of all the tries. Although it was pretty one-sided, I enjoyed the game itself but ...... where was the pre-match entertainment? I expected at least a couple of pipe bands. Maybe it was because France was running the show?? It was great to see so many guys in kilts and there were many different accents in the crowd.

When I bought my programme, I was delighted to be given a Scottish flag, though when it comes to rugby I am all for NZ.

Sorry to see Scotland go out today in the quarter-finals too, along with Fiji. I would like to see Argentina get to the final but with the way it is going, it is anybody's guess which two teams will go through.

Roll on 2011, when we will be hosting the Cup in New Zealand. All the best.
rossmckenzie
Scotland may be home but I have really enjoyed RWC2007 and am pretty sure England,South Africa, Argentina and France will provide a great end to the competition.
A couple of pictures of the RWC in Paris....I think NZ must have spent a fortune on this piece of advertising.
Paul Kelly
Hi Scots Kiwi Lass.

The All Blacks choked again! I felt sorry for coach Graham Henry and captain Richie McCaw having to give TV interviews as soon as the game finished. They were completely gobsmacked, especially McCaw. I didn't know the next World Cup is being held in New Zealand. No excuses next time then! I am sure the All Blacks will be pre-tournament favourites in 2011 as in all previous World Cups.

I agree Ross. Last weekends matches were fantastic, despite Scotland losing. I stay about 30 minutes drive from the South African border and I get a lot of South African TV. The South Africans believe they've got the World Cup in the bag now that the All Blacks are out.

I think the English might beat the French in the semi-final. The English and French teams know each other very well. As I mentioned in my previous post, the English seem to be getting stronger as the tournament progresses. They appear to be peaking at just the right time. The English pack was awesome against the Wallabies, especially the front 5. Andrew Sheridan is a man mountain. They also have a very special player in Jonny Wilkinson. I must confess I want the English to beat 'Les Bleus' and then the Springboks in the final. However, the South Africans must be considered the favourites to lift the World Cup, and I think the French would probably give the Springboks a better game in the final than the English. I haven't even mentioned Argentina. The way the World Cup has gone so far I am sure there are a few more surprises in store.

Paul
No. 10 Girl
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 8th Oct 2007, 08:53 AM) *
Hi Paul

Sorry to say it - you will have to eat your words! Once again, our much loved All Blacks didn't come to the party against France. We are all gobsmacked here and pretty speechless really, there has been such a huge effort, not to mention millions of dollars, put into this World Cup and we all had such high hopes of the ABs. Mind you, once it gets past the pool matches, it is down to either of the two teams playing on the day and this time France carried it off. NZ is in mourning and already the inquests have started.

I was in Scotland when the ABs played Scotland at Murrayfield and went to the game with my daughter. We had a great seat and a terrific view of all the tries. Although it was pretty one-sided, I enjoyed the game itself but ...... where was the pre-match entertainment? I expected at least a couple of pipe bands. Maybe it was because France was running the show?? It was great to see so many guys in kilts and there were many different accents in the crowd.

When I bought my programme, I was delighted to be given a Scottish flag, though when it comes to rugby I am all for NZ.

Sorry to see Scotland go out today in the quarter-finals too, along with Fiji. I would like to see Argentina get to the final but with the way it is going, it is anybody's guess which two teams will go through.

Roll on 2011, when we will be hosting the Cup in New Zealand. All the best.

Just heard this joke on the radio this morning " All Blacks have designed a Bra plenty of support but no cups !!! Please don't take offence thought it might make you smile biggrin.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
No.10 Girl - no offence taken, it was quite funny in a way.

However, the All Blacks compete each year with South Africa and Australia for the Tri Nations Cup, also as part of this series, the Bledisloe Cup is contested between Australia and NZ. The All Blacks have held both these cups for the last 2 or 3 years, so the trophy cupboard is not completely bare!

We are still proud of our ABs, who have given us heaps of occasions to be proud of them since the last World Cup. The bulk of the players are due to arrive at Christchurch airport at about now and I have just heard on the radio that the airport is full to capacity with fans waiting to welcome them. We are not just 'fair weather' fans and it is nice to see them given such a welcome home.

Cheers,
No. 10 Girl
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 9th Oct 2007, 10:28 PM) *
No.10 Girl - no offence taken, it was quite funny in a way.

However, the All Blacks compete each year with South Africa and Australia for the Tri Nations Cup, also as part of this series, the Bledisloe Cup is contested between Australia and NZ. The All Blacks have held both these cups for the last 2 or 3 years, so the trophy cupboard is not completely bare!

We are still proud of our ABs, who have given us heaps of occasions to be proud of them since the last World Cup. The bulk of the players are due to arrive at Christchurch airport at about now and I have just heard on the radio that the airport is full to capacity with fans waiting to welcome them. We are not just 'fair weather' fans and it is nice to see them given such a welcome home.

Cheers,

Can you imagine the doom and gloom in this Scots/Welsh household I think our trophy cupboard might be empty for awhile yet! Good job we have the ABs to show us how it's done!! As Billy Connolly said "We have the only national team that do a lap of disgrace!" laugh.gif
rossmckenzie
Good job we have the ABs to show us how it's done!!.....

Aw man a loved that quote as my kiwi cousins eventually decided to go home...headlines this week in the UK after All black Doug Howlett was arrested in London for vandalising cars in London.Man if a Scotland team member had done this a would have been horrified and disgusted.
Scotland played the game and represented us with pride...ok we went home in the Q4's but we left with pride knowing we had done what we could....I think our guys behaved with great style and behaved brillaintly...never expected to win just wanted to do their best and enjoy the competition....they did and gave great joy to their fans.
Scots Kiwi Lass
Sorry Ross, I have to take exception. It was not the ABs who damaged two cars - it was Doug Howlett! I can't speak for the British Press as I live in NZ. but the coverage of his act of vandalism has been sensationalised over here. We heard stories of his room being trashed (denied by the hotel itself) and a bar tab of $30,000+ (later found to include accommodation for several team members and others).

I am not condoning what Howlett did - it was a crazy act by a guy not generally known for this type of behaviour. I only wish that everyone could get it into perspective and don't load it all on to the All Blacks team, please. Our guys play with as pride and passion as any Scot, South African or whatever, perhaps more and we are proud to have them represent New Zealand.

BTW, we welcomed several of our ABs back into Christchurch last week and they were blown away with the welcome. We know we will have another four years of high class rugby from them before the next World Cup - how many other countries can claim this?

Regards,
rossmckenzie
Did I say it was the All Blacks....it was simply Doug Howlett BUT he was part of the Kiwi team and his behaviour was dreadful so it reflects on all kiwi's....you glorify a kiwi victory so accept bad behaviour when kiwis behave like that.
It matters little to me how they behave although am related to kiwis I don't see myself responsible for their behaviour in Scotland....am astounded sometimes how my cousins behave when they are here in Scotland...they mump 24/7 about neds and stuff then they go out and do stuff which horrifies me.They do this when they are free loading off my mum and dad...not paying a penny for digs,using everything we have like internet and calls and enouraging m8's to come over...this week my mum and dad saw sense and ordered then home.
rossmckenzie
Tonight’s England v France game could be the best game of the cup.....man am split in two over who to support. A would like England to win but I really like Les Blues as well. Been amazed at the reports of all the English fans flooding into Paris for tonight’s game....Aussies and Kiwi’s who had bought semi tickets in advance are over in Paris trying to sell match tickets...yesterday on e bay tickets were £1200...man who would pay that!!! Even if Scotland had got this far I don’t know anybody that would pay that.
I got to France for the last two weekends...probably the most amazing weekends of my life and a know if Scotland had got to the semi’s I would have been in Paris just maybe not in the Stadt if tickets were that price but I would have been strutting the streets of Paris in my kilt and watching it in a bar in Montmartre or at the Pigalle but its October school week and am off to Spain with my family this afternoon so a will be watching it in a local Irish bar tonight, sitting outside watching on a huge screen.....
Think am gonna support England.....tomorrow is even worse...RSA v Argentina....since day one a favoured South Africa to win but a have a really good Argentinean m8 so a dunno who to support.No natter it will be a great weekend and a great final next weekend.....been an awsome month for rugby
rossmckenzie
Tonights final should be awsome......been away all week so missed most of the hype about an England back to back win.
From day one of the competition I thought South Africa looked strong and really never expected England to reach the finals...Tonight my support is for England....would support any of the home teams in a world cup final so I wish the English guys well and if they take it for the 2nd time I will applaud them.
Been a totally brilliant and emotional 6 weeks....the next one In NZ IN 2011 will not match up for me.Not saying it will not be well organised but to see the games here in Europe the times will be really bad..it was the same with the Olympics in Sydney and there is no way I will be able to hop over for the weekend the way I did this year...Ach well maybe 2015 will be in Europe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.