Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vermaccelli Carmel Cake
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Food and Drink
stuarty
a was just jogging memories of this cake oh we loved it a think we only got it once every term at end so we would go back for more scool meals remembering how good the last pudding was oh boy and do i remember laugh.gif
murn
mmmm! and a wee drop of custard
marydee
You know that the caramel in this cake is made by steaming condensed milk in the tin for hours and hours 'till it turns lovely sticky and brown well I was in Tesco last week and they are selling tins of caramel ready made by Carnation of evaporated milk fame. I bought a tin but hav'nt tried it yet will report how good or bad it is when I do.
penny dainty
Well how on earth did I miss this topic , caramel cake! Oh my all time favourite from dinner school. okay yes another of my favourites, I have a few laugh.gif Anyway marydee the caramel in a tin is just like the boil in a tin stuff , it became unsafe to boil it in the tin as apparently the tins could explode , and as much as I love caramelised condensed milk , it is not so appealing when it is red hot and sticking to your face.The tinned variety as I said is good , it is especially nice straight from the can via a teaspoon into ones gob.Oh heaven!

Sweet tooth .....ME! .......NEVER! rolleyes.gif
murn
no fer, ah jist got that carmel cake out of my mind and there it is back again sad.gif
penny dainty
hee! hee! hee! that's my evil laugh murn
maryhillgal
Ma mooth is watering PD. Gonna no dae that?
penny dainty
well ! I just got back from the shops and do you know what I found, chocolate caramel topping, right beside the caramel top and fill ,didnt buy it , but that's not to say I wont .Watch this space laugh.gif
maryhillgal
Och go on PD buy it. Send me some when it's ready, please!!
stuarty
when bob and i were up the barra's the day they cake guy was selling 2pakets of choccy verrmiccelli caramel cake kust like a used to make in the school meals we never bought any as we had other food on our mind as in seafood shop magic pure magic tongue.gif
celtic-chic67
Has anyone got the recipe for vermaccelli carmel cake
as It'a my daughters 5th birthday on halloween & I am
having a party for her.I think that would go down a treat
with the little horrors laugh.gif
Heather
Carmel Cake was one of the few things I liked in Dinner School. I have not tasted it in years. sad.gif
stuarty
I do bake blind a shotcrust pastry base then the school meals way in englad was 1lb of brown sugar 1/2 lb marg or butter cook of in double boiler then add 1/4 pint of milk heated up then add to mixture then slowley add 1/4 lb of flour and that should thicken mixture then keep stirring in double boiler untill smooth and the sugar has disolved then add to cooked pastry base then when cooled add either chocolate melted or vermacelli ok

or if you want an easier version pierce can of condenced milk and simmer in boiled water half way up the can do not get water in can or it wont work properly then add to pastry mix happy cooking and baking wub.gif
celtic-chic67
smile.gif thanks for the recipe stuarty I will have a bash at it
and i'll let you know if the wee horros liked it laugh.gif
Isobel
Ma favourite but the square was always so small
stuarty
you can buy it now in the shops they call it chocolate covered carmal shortcake and wee tricia got some when a went to see her but a was no in a choccy day that day and so a never had a bit but a bet its nice anyway wub.gif
celtic-chic67
well i made carmel cake last night for my daughters birthday party
it took me 3 hours to make and nobody touched it.
for the base i used digestive biscuits crushed with butter to bind it
together.the carmel turned out great but when i put it on top of the
base it all broke up.so it was a disaster.
my wee nephew said it looked as if someone had just thrown up
cheeky wee beggar laugh.gif laugh.gif
Heather
Trust kids to make you feel worse, they say what they are thinking. laugh.gif

I would have ate the crumbs Celtchic. I'm sure they would have tasted just as nice as a whole slice. smile.gif
celtic-chic67
thanks heather,I tried it and it was lovely I think it was the appearance
that put the weans off,come to think of it, it did look like the dogs
dinner. laugh.gif laugh.gif
Heather at MOT
I'm going to try that recipe! Sounds good! Definitely low calorie too! Wayhey!

Heather
annepat
Does anyone have a recipe for the old school spaghetti pie, have told my family all about it , but I think they think I'm off my head as they have never heard of it. Caramel cake and spaghetti pie, these made going to school worthwhile
No. 10 Girl
Oh! Annepat I remember it well tell your lot your no daft! I tried to make it myself once. I put shortcrust pastry in a 7in round tin, put some sliced ham on the bottom. then a tin of Spag.mixed with a beaten egg then sprinkled it with grated cheese. Then baked it for app. 35mins. It's as near as you'll get. Go to the Tearoom page 44 Java posted a link to Scottish recipes I'm no clever enough to do it here for you. You'll find some great recipes in it tongue.gif
annepat
Thanks No. 10
halfpint
[quote name='Isobel' date='23rd Oct 2007, 10:29 PM' post='164006']
Ma favourite but the square was always so small
[/quote OH WELL I GOT TO ADMIT MY PART IN SMALL PORTIONS ,AS EX ASSISTANT COOK IN SHOOLMEALS laugh.gif
stuarty
hello halfpint i was a school cook for 14years head cook for 11 of them ans in england it was called butterscotch tart wub.gif
shell
spaghetti pie from school dinners,

the recipe is made with puff pastry rolled out quite thinly, line a shallow baking tray with the pastry,
pour on one tin of heinz spaghetti the cover with grated cheese, pop in the oven for about twenty minutes then enjoy, I make this all the time and the kids cant get enough ( a wee tip, make two at a time because everyone always wants extras)
penny dainty
Who wants mine , used to hate the stuff and the bacon and egg pie they had at dinner school too , eeyuk! Caramel cake was brill as was the marshmallow slice and the dumpling and custard yummy.
stuarty
carnation milk people make the condenced caramel
Don C.
QUOTE (CELTCHIC67 @ 23rd Oct 2007, 10:05am) *
Has anyone got the recipe for vermaccelli carmel cake
as It'a my daughters 5th birthday on halloween & I am
having a party for her.I think that would go down a treat
with the little horrors laugh.gif

Don C.
It is called Millionaires Shortcake ( GOOGLE IT ) and there you have The Recipe. YEEE HAAA
Marie Hart
QUOTE (annepat @ 14th Nov 2007, 08:24am) *
Does anyone have a recipe for the old school spaghetti pie, have told my family all about it , but I think they think I'm off my head as they have never heard of it. Caramel cake and spaghetti pie, these made going to school worthwhile

Annepat, I am also looking for the same recipe, I know it was a shortcrust pastry base, then I'm sure there was a mix of beaten egg & cheese with the tinned spaghetti on top, but cannot get anyone to confirm. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.