Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 21st Jul 2015, 03:06pm) *
Aye Angel, no wonder she laughed after she got over the shock.

Have you been away, as I have not seen you on the Board for a while.

No Heather I have not been away , just other stuff
going on in my life .

I have been looking in but there isn't anything that is
of interest to me anymore on these boards , it seems
to be the same old stuff time and again , so I search for
subjects that contain more of an international outlook
to get an idea of what goes on in other countries ,especially
what goes on in a country and how that can affect others .

So that's my story for not posting as often anymore .
and I'm sticking to it . Cheers , biggrin.gif Pat.

wellfield
I agree with 'Angel' about the board being of little interest any more,too many cynical posts.I pop in almost every day,but seems like I pop right out again.I do like the 'Possilpark' patter though!....chuckle
norrie123
All the boards that I am on, are very quiet, I blame Face Book and Twitter , I still post photo's but don't get a lot of response
I do get response on FB but that's over in a day or so FB is like a big roll of toilet paper, no structure to it
Are we seeing the end of Message Boards?

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
I don't do Face Book or Twitter as I always hear too much about the bitching on those sites.
norrie123
Hi Heather, the same folk that bitch on FB, bitch on message boards, its in their nature to bitch biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
angel

all the heavy humidity has gone and we have had lovely
weather these past couple of days , fresh air , blue skies
comfortable temp. with wide open window's and saved a fortune on hydro .

I heard on the news about a lonely marijuana plant growing on
a round-about out in B.C , but the police have said that it is
perfectly legal if no one is watering it . laugh.gif

well that's all folks , I"ll now get on with my daily chores and get supper
ready , grandson comes tonight for dinner , Cheers Pat .
zascot
So what are you making Angel, Marijuana stew biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (zascot @ 23rd Jul 2015, 12:26pm) *
So what are you making Angel, Marijuana stew biggrin.gif

Naw ! no me Zascot, , mince n totties

Ive' been told it's just as good . laugh.gif
zascot
Enjoy.
wellfield
A wonderful lunch today at "Ye' Olde Ship" a real authentic old style Pub close to where I live,I had a foaming pint of 'Bellhaven' ....Fish & Chips,an order of Mushy Peas,order of Pickled Onions,followed by a Rhubarb Crumple buried in Custard!....
wellfield
Ooops'...meant to say 'crumble'.....the fish was 'Icelandic Cod'
Elma
Mmmm sound good Wellfield, except for the mushy peas, I'd give them a miss, don't like my peas squashed tongue.gif
norrie123
We seem to get Mushy Peas in the UK, whatever happened to the peas we used to get, dried peas in vinegar

Bye for now, norrie
Betsy2009
Does anyone remember pease pudding? I just remember my gran making it and it was a sort of greeny grey lump on the plate.
bilbo.s
Aye, it was bowfin' ! ( is that an Aberdeen word?)
Heather
Elma, I don't like mushy peas either, I prefer garden peas.

I love Rhubarb Crumble and I make it with nice fresh rhubarb that grow's in the garden, but so far this year the rhubarb has not grown, it must have died off.
angel

I prefer Marrowfat peas that have not been boiled into mulch

also Heather I don't make a Rhubarb crumble but I will make a
Rhubarb Strawberry pie , sometimes served warm with ice cream .

Campbell , I too would have enjoyed your meal , without the muchy
peas , lol
wellfield
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 25th Jul 2015, 01:24am) *
Does anyone remember pease pudding? I just remember my gran making it and it was a sort of greeny grey lump on the plate.
Betsy,I think that was called 'Peas Brose'.....my Dad used to make it.
Betsy2009
That's the one, Wellfield. Do you have any idea what it was?
wellfield
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 25th Jul 2015, 11:44am) *
That's the one, Wellfield. Do you have any idea what it was?
Peas-flour-salt-pepper-butter,then mix.....it says some people use cream or milk,some add viegar
Betsy2009
Thank you.
Still didn't like it.
ashfield
When I was wee, mid 50s-ish, we were down in Sunderland visiting family friends. A large van came round the estate ( housing. Not country home tongue.gif ) selling steak pies and some horrible lumpy stuff, which I was told was pease pudding. I like peas but no way was that muck passing my lips huh.gif
zascot
I prefer quick Peas. I go for one every morning. biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
Peasebrose we called it. A brose by any other name would smell as foul !
Betsy2009
Did anyone else have to clean their plate before they could leave the table? Or, even better, what you left was served up again at the next meal?
angel

I don't recall leftovers when I was a child , we ate the food that
was put down to us , but when my mother made a pot of soup
we would have the extra soup the next day .

Heather
Yes Betsy, we had to finish our meal. With a big family, our parent's would not allow food to be wasted.

After finishing our meal we were not allowed to just get up and walk away, we had to ask,' please may I leave the table' then one of our parent's would tell us, 'you are excused'.
angel

I had a nice Sunday morning , I met up with a few friends
after their church service's , and as I had been to Mass
last night I was the designated driver and the four of us
went for breakfast and this , we now call our ecumenical
coffee . They are such a nice bunch , there are actually two more
but they couldn't make it ,anyway good talk not a bad meal and very
witty conversation . I'm looking once more to the next time when
we meet up .
Our lovely comfortable weather has left us and now we are back
into the muggies ! and it will be lasting at least most of the
week , thank God for the Air Conditioning in the house .
Heather
Angel, you are lucky with your weather, all we are getting is rain, rain and more rain with a wee bit of sunshine in between.
It is raining right now. sad.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 26th Jul 2015, 09:04am) *
Did anyone else have to clean their plate before they could leave the table? Or, even better, what you left was served up again at the next meal?

No, never. I was never forced to eat anything I didn't like but encouraged to try things first before rejecting them. For me it was no meat, poultry, fish or salads so feeding me was easy tongue.gif
tottie ann
OMG do I remember peasebrose it was disgusting the colour and the smell I used to boak when my mother served it up and was told to eat it as IT was good for me how can something that makes you sick be good for you
bilbo.s
QUOTE (tottie ann @ 27th Jul 2015, 11:46am) *
OMG do I remember peasebrose it was disgusting the colour and the smell I used to boak when my mother served it up and was told to eat it as IT was good for me how can something that makes you sick be good for you

The only brose worth supping is Atholl Brose !
Heather
Although we were always encouraged to eat everything that was on our plate, we were never forced to eat anything we did not like.
One of my brother's and I did not like mince, so mum always made us something different.

I would never eat anything with onion's in it as I don't and never have liked onion's.
kiltie2
the rain's no takin' time tae come doon whaur ah um! so stuck in the hoos thinkin' a could be soartin' loads o' stuff out fur the bucket the morra, ye know that clutter ye think wull come in handy wan day an' it disnae! noo ah cannae be botherd so I'll jist talk sit here an tae yoos:)
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 27th Jul 2015, 04:11pm) *
Although we were always encouraged to eat everything that was on our plate, we were never forced to eat anything we did not like.
One of my brother's and I did not like mince, so mum always made us something different.

I would never eat anything with onion's in it as I don't and never have liked onion's.

Must save you a lot of work, considering the amount of recipes starting with, " chop one onion and fry gently until transparent".
Heather
Bill I hate the smell of onion's especially frying one's.

I remember my son tried to get me to taste fried onion's as I had made them for him and his dad who told him it was a waste of his time trying to get me to eat onion's.
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 27th Jul 2015, 02:11pm) *

Heather ,
I on the other hand could not imagine life without onions biggrin.gif and today for lunch I will be having Marrowfat peas with onions and bacon , thumbup.gif

I remember Gemini saying onetime that she would even put them in her tea . laugh.gif
izzyg
Todays no a bad day here fir a scots living in Canada, It"s a sweltering 98 here...you can make burnt rolls on the pavement
lol. just gonna hing ott by the pool and enjoy the weather ..before you know it we will have four feet of bloody snow.....I would gladly trade here in summer for hame anyday!!!! cool.gif
angel

One of my brother's called yesterday from Glasgow , just for a little
" how are you doing type conversation " , it is always so nice when
they call , Anyway he was telling me that they have the heating on
in their house .

The heat here has been so uncomfortable , the actual temp.
has been in the mid /high 30s but with the humidity it reaches 40 C.+

So izzyq you just enjoy your pool and I'll stay in the Air conditioning biggrin.gif
I am having company this and next week from N.L and they too have
had on the heating over the weekend .

I'm waiting for the plumber to arrive , there is a water leek in the
basement that is coming from the upstairs bath when I drain the water
away.
I was out this morning before 6am and went to the all night Super-
Market for a few items and now I'm back in the house and that's me for
the rest of the day . keeping out of the heat . smile.gif

petunia
I live in the Maritimes and we have had very few hot days over 80 maybe 3 or 4 been rainy and cold at times the parade on the weekend was nearly a wash out but went anyway, just back from walking the dogs and quite muggy out 72 degrees, suppose to get rain, no really????? good for the farmers.
I don't like the hot hot weather anyway so it suits me if only the sun would shine to get to the beach or just be able to sit outside but then you get eaten alive with mosquitoes.
Enjoy your summer everyone at least its no snowin.
angel

well that's the plumber gone , no water dripping in the basement
but I am $300.00 poorer .
Heather
Oh poor Angel, my husband would have done it for half the price. smile.gif

When he was younger and any of the family needed a Plumber or Gas Fitter, he always did the work for them and refused any payment.
norrie123
Angel, did your house insurance not cover water leaks?
Glad its fixed, any damage?

Bye for now, norrie
angel
[quote name='norrie123' date='28th Jul 2015, 06:59pm' post='3702498']
Angel, did your house insurance not cover water leaks?
Glad its fixed, any damage?

Bye for now, Norrie

Yes Norrie , it does , but the $300 was a bit less
than the deductible . , I think when the insurance
says water damage , they mean < laugh.gif Tornado destruction ,

but no damage done , Cheers .
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Jul 2015, 06:54pm) *
Oh poor Angel, my husband would have done it for half the price. smile.gif

When he was younger and any of the family needed a Plumber or Gas Fitter, he always did the work for them and refused any payment.

I know Heather ! but were is he when he is needed . EH , biggrin.gif
Heather
Angel, he is too old for all the heavy work, just put's on new washer's when the taps are dripping.
He is no longer eligible to do gas work, if he did and was found out he could be charged and end up in jail.lol

I have been very busy today cleaning the wall units in the kitchen, and of course washing everything before putting them back.
I still have the floor units to do, but that will be another day.

wellfield
Heather
Ah, go on Teddy, give us the Highland Fling. laugh.gif
wellfield
Today I'm trying to figure how to shrink my pics to post on the boards (seems this one was successful).....I put my wee Scottish Teddy Bear out to keep my wife company when I go to the Pub...chuckle......I went down to our local pier today,they're having sailing events for the 'World Games' special Olympics here in Long Beach,California,they have participants with special needs from all over the World....the events take place all over the Los Angeles area!
angel

Nice photo Campbell , although , I thought that you
were her Teddy Bear , rolleyes.gif
You have a good day now , cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.