Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
angel
QUOTE (toerag @ 10th Apr 2015, 07:42pm) *
Beautiful babies Angel, they are so small for such a short time, Congratulations to all!!

Cheers toerag ,
how are you , I do hope that you are enjoying your retirement
Did you and John manage to take a winter break ,
" God ! we certainly needed one , that's for sure , " although I didn't go away ,
I guess I'm getting to the point now , that I can't be bothered . sad.gif
but maybe next year , who knows . Cheers Pat .

angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 11th Apr 2015, 04:06pm) *
The sun has been shining all day, but when I went out to cut down some dead branches off a climbing plant there was a cold wind that nearly blew me away.
Now there are hailstones pouring down.
Typical Scottish weather.

Hi heather, the weather today has been overcast but with some sun
peeking through now and again and with the forecast promising
better day's next week , I should be able to get out in the yard and do some
more work .
It's really a job I don't care for but I do get out there and keep the
place clean and tidy , A gardener sad.gif I'm not by any stretch of
the imagination.
I'm still waiting for the roof to be repaired from the winter damage
and also the bathroom . they have promised in about two weeks ,

I'm thinking it is screaming time again, it's about the only language
that's is understood by these insurance companies . angry.gif

I got a washing done today and also a good cleanup in the basement
so it been a good day , cheer's , Pat
Heather
Angel, that is a long time to wait for your Insurance Co. to settle up.

It's very dull today and a bit windy, but I had a walk around the block for a bit of exercise.

When I was typing this the doorbell went, I got up to go to the door, tripped over the Laptop cable and the Laptop landed on the floor.
As I am sitting on the couch watching a film the Laptop did not have far to fall, so no damage done.
angel

Hi heather , I did get some more spring cleanup
done in the yard this weekend , and also scraped
most of the paint off the back door and the side door
on the garage , I will paint them when the
spirit moves me tongue.gif

Yesterday Monday , was such a beautiful day , I changed
my plans and took the bus out to the village of Chippawa
There is a nice public park there that I like , it is situated
between the Niagara and Welland river's , the latter at
this point commonly known as the creek , where folks fish
and also boaters dock their boats for the summer ,,, easy access
to lake Erie . and during the hot summer day's all the younger
people dive off the bridge and also swing from the trees
into the water biggrin.gif of course ,
all this done when there are no cops around . "It is very dangerous
but lots of fun " . I enjoy watching them and also my the walk-a-bouts .

Glad there was no damage done to yourself or the laptop and hope you enjoyed your walk .

I am more comfortable with the laptop on a table not my lap . smile.gif
hope you have had a good day , cheers ,Pat .

angel

Wednesday , it's been another lovely day
and no cooking for me .
Once again we are going out for fish n chips ,
one of lifes' small pleasure's . smile.gif with my grandson .

Heather
Angel, it's a nice day here today and warm in the sun.

I cut and picked up some dead branches off a dead rose bush and now I have to dig it up.

I was at Stobhill Hospital this morning for Tests as my Doctor said I was very Anemic. So the tests are to find out the cause of the Anemia.
angel

Hi heather , it is also another lovely day here
so I will just play it by ear and see what happens .

I hope that you don't have to travel to far to
have those test's , maybe there is a local clinic that
will do the job for you .
I am taking a few days off just now so you take care
and I will post again later . Cheers , Pat

Heather
Angel, the Hospital I have been going to for the Tests is quite a distance, so we get a taxi there and back.

It costs us a total of 20.

jakka13
Well today I cried a lot .It's six months since I lost a bit of my heart .yes my love left me .It's been a struggle after having been together for 56 years .My great daughters decided to take me to Mexico with them on a vacation they had planned before they lost their Dad so we are off to Mexico early Wednesday morning for a week .Five star resort !. My grand daughter will join us as will my niece from Scotland who is linking up with us .We haven't seen her in almost eight years so that will do us all good .Tomorrow starts another count down .All the firsts are very hard .
Heather
Jakka, I hope you are having a good time in Mexico with your family.

Our other Laptop is acting up. The busy icon appears out of nowhere jumping all over the place then the screen goes black. We have to switch the Laptop off then on again just for the same thing to happen.
We have tried everything we can think of System Restore's and changing the Pointer, Dianostic scan, but nothing works.

Heather
Big excitement this morning
I got a letter from the Civil Service telling me that my Civil Service Pension is to be increased by 71pence a month. smile.gif

Before I could start to wonder what I was going to spend all that money on, I read further down and found that my increase would only be 51 pence as my Income Tax has been increased by 20 pence. sad.gif

How the Tax Office worked that out is beyond me, as that is about 30% off the 71 pence.
wombat
rolleyes.gif in four weeks you can buy a mars bar smile.gif
Elma
I was in our newly opened local British Fish and Chip Shop (the only one in town) tonight and couldn't believe my eyes, they are selling deep fried Mars bars huh.gif at a cost of $3.00, that's approximately 1 pound 60 in sterling. I have never seen a deep fried Mars bar so wasn't able to ask about it, the English owner wasn't there only the Canadian staff!!
Betsy2009
I watched a chef programme the other night and one of the puddings included a thin pastry shaped into a tube, filled with chocolate then deep fried. How is that different to a deep fried Mars bar? It's getting everywhere.
petunia
I liked my mars bars without batter thank you very much
Heather
I have never seen or tasted a deep fried mars bar. I don't fancy any chocolate bar deep fried.
I prefer my chocolate as it comes.
angel

I enjoy a Mars Bar that's been in the fridge
and then sliced .
Heather
Angel I have never tried that as I prefer soft chocolate's.

Like Petunia, I don't think I would like a mars bar wrapped in batter. wub.gif

We had some rain a wee while ago.
Although it was sunny when I was out this morning, there was a cold wind that chilled me right through.
angel
actually Heather , a Mars bar is a favorite of mine
but I also enjoy Black baby liquorice candies .

Weatherwise we really have had a lousy week
but this coming week does look more promising . smile.gif
Betsy2009
What are 'black baby liquorice candies'?
Gallusbisom
Mars bars put in the 'fridge and then sliced, yummy. Wish I could have one now. lol
Heather
GB, are there no shops in your area who sell British goodies?

It's a right cold day today.
I had intended to go to Parkhead, but the cold changed my mind.

One of my bosses told me years ago that I was a hot house plant, when I complaind about the Office being cold. laugh.gif
Heather
I can't believe it. We are near the end of April and the snow is coming down thick and fast. ohmy.gif
angel
good morning Heather ,it looks like the sun might just come
out later today after the rain and cool temps.

Heather , we can buy Mars bars here , no problem ! Mars and their
products are international , it's a small world , they even sell
cat food biggrin.gif and umpteen other products , I'm thinking maybe
I'll buy a Mars bar for my cat . cheers tongue.gif Pat , Have a good Day .
Gallusbisom
Heather,
I am very lucky, I have the But n' Ben within a 20 min. drive, I have Markham fine foods about a 5 min. drive and I (joy of joys) am now able to walk a couple of blocks to get Empire biscuites etc. at The Village Grocer.

When in Atlanta, I have a short drive to the British Shop, and I usually stock up there when we go to Blue Ridge. lol

Needless to say, I am recognised in all of them, since I usually buy out whatever stock they have of Empire biscuites, my kids inhale them, I swear. smile.gif

Mars bars are readily available in all stores and I do buy them (a lot) but they seem to be a wee bit better when you buy them at a store that sells Scottish food. smile.gif

In Dallas we used to go to the British store in Grapevine and clean them out too. Pies, scones, bridies. All of it.

I guess I should have put the "now" in capitals, I really did mean now, as in right now. smile.gif

Ron'd will know most of the stores above, well maybe not the ones in Grapevine or Norcross.
angel

Hi Gallus , we now have a British store in the Plaza at the top of
our St. I do shop there but mostly for meat products , and sometimes
Eccles cakes . if they have them , but failing that I can get them in the
bakery department in the supermarket . smile.gif

Heather
So all you Canadians still like the British goodies. clap.gif

The snow is back on again and still coming down thick and fast.

We were warned about this weather, but I thought it would be up North that would get it, I did not expect us to get snowed in when we are almost into the month of May. wub.gif
Gallusbisom
Great stuff. It is so nice to have a nearby source of the necessities. smile.gif Whenever we are in Niagra-on the Lake, we visit the Brit. shop there, HRH cannot resist tablet. Well-------------in all honesty none of us can. lol
angel
well Gallus between your Mars Bars , empire biscuits
and tablet , you've got good taste .

I have just been watching the lunchtime news and the latest on Nepal
is just unbelievable , The death TOLL SO FAR IS 4,000 with 7,000
injured and it will be a lot more as the weeks go on , true devastation .
Somehow to me , it seems that what we read and what we concern ourselves with , seems so trivial . compared to these horrors that go on in
this world .
Heather
Aye your right Angel, compared to what has happened in Nepal, there is no comparison with the weather we are having.

A dreadful loss of life in Nepal.
Betsy2009
Some of the people in Nepal could have been having a similar conversation about their favourite sweets or where they have to go to get them and how cold the weather was - then disaster strikes. You just never know when your time is up, do you?
annie laurie
Agree with you Angel,
So much suffering in this world, to-day
And to think the MLA and all the Big Wigs in Parliament are ripping the country off by so called spending the seem to think they are entilied to
i am tired listening to this court case About Duffy and the Rest of them

Anyway back to the British Stores we did have one here , but it did not last long Prices were very high so closed now
I love the British Sweets etc etc but some of the prices were rediculous high

There is some good British Shops in Vancouver, so if i ever have the craving I just ask some of my friends when they are visiting to buy me some
Right now i am counting the Calories and watching the Colestral [spellimg ]
Joy of getting older right ? cant have all the goodies we love ohmy.gif laugh.gif thumbup.gif
Gallusbisom
The tragedy in Nepal is just unfolding. The Ghurkas were with us "British" so very, very many times. I think it is time for us to step up to the plate and do what, and send what we can to the survivors. They are a proud and courageous people. Tanzang Norguey was pivotal in the conquest of Everest.
angel

yes Annie ,I am already bored with it , it's nothing but a pack of lies
and Duffy will get away with all of it , although to save face ,
he might have to pay with a slap on the wrist and keep in mind
he is only the beginning , a lot more of those senators are being
charged , I can only hope that the government will finally
clean house and get rid of those crooks in the senate , actually
do away with it .

regarding the British stores Annie , I do a little shopping in
them but in all honesty I am quite happy with the Canadian products .

I'm not getting older Annie ..... I am mellow.gif

Annie how is you husband these days , has his medical condition
improved at all , I hope so , cheers pat .
angel
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 27th Apr 2015, 05:52pm) *
Some of the people in Nepal could have been having a similar conversation about their favourite sweets or where they have to go to get them and how cold the weather was - then disaster strikes. You just never know when your time is up, do you?

that is so true , last week I was having coffee with a friend
whom I had not been in contact for awhile , she told me
that her husband had gone out to the yard where he would
putter around and take his second cup of coffee as was normal
with him. and about 40min. later , the door was just about
hammered in by the mailman , He found her husband lying
dead by the front door . We just never know but what a shock for her .

angel
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 27th Apr 2015, 08:05pm) *
The tragedy in Nepal is just unfolding. The Ghurkas were with us "British" so very, very many times. I think it is time for us to step up to the plate and do what, and send what we can to the survivors. They are a proud and courageous people. Tanzang Norguey was pivotal in the conquest of Everest.

I heard today that medical supplies are /have been sent
and also medical help and I believe volunteers and maybe
military personnel .

Heather
The weather here just get's worse.

When I was out this morning it was really cold. Now we have had hailstones battering down just as I had to go out again because I forgot to get bisto and I had to go round to the corner shop and got soaked and almost blown away.
I had to change into dry trouser's when I got home.

When I was in the butcher shop this morning, the guy in there said we are to get more snow today. ohmy.gif
angel

today the roofing crew finally came and
began the work on the roof , that
was at 20 after 7am and they are
still hard at it and now this afternoon
the guy came
to fix the damage in the bathroom ,
so at this time it is a very noisy house .

gallus gave me an idea yesterday
so meanwhile I baked empire biscuits .

Sorry you are getting such lousy weather
Heather but there is always the chance
that it will be beautiful tomorrow .
Cheers , Pat
annie laurie
Hello Angel

Thanks for asking about my Husband very thoughtful of You,

I am sure everything will look lovely after all the alterarions are finished

To-day the temp., was suppose to go to 23c but sure did not feel like it,
Will be nice once things warm up and stay warm for a while anyway cool.gif biggrin.gif

Are you still planning a trip to Scotland this Year, ?
I was home last Year for 3 weeks, [1st in 12 yrs ]
Enjoyed every minute of it and the weather was surprising lovely and warm
The Day we arrived in Edinburgh wa 26c could not believe it
Did not spend much time in Glw as my relations live in ST>Andrew's but manage 2 days to visit a cousin in Giffnock
Like yourself i have been away to long now have lost the taste i guess for some things but enjoyed the food when I was home especially the Rolls every morning and the Cakes & Sweets I gained 5 lbs I kid you not as i had sweets everyday such wonderful varieties could not resist them
MY Huband is still in Care facility not much change can do everything except Walk as the body is Paralysed, left side leg and arm could be worse, I count my blessings harder on him I am sure
I have adjusted you would say to living alone,[sometimes][ been 5 yrs now cant believe how quickly the time and yrs have slipped by wish i was going back again to Scotland this year will have to try and save more Air Miles it sure did help in the price of the Fares
i have to take 3 flights almost 24hr travelling counting the difference in the 8 hr you loose

Hello Heather,
Cant believe Snow in April in Scotland,
I honestly cant remember having snow to often when I was growing up in Glw,
I guess this is what they are calling Global Warming right ?
Changing all over the world
MY heart goes out to the peopple of Nepal, lets hope the [Mon Sone spelling] rains dont come as they have predicted
cheers
Will try and post a little bit more often,
The time change is the problem sometimes,
Hello Melody Java, and the rest of you Good People who have kept this Board going
cheers oxo thumbup.gif
petunia
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Apr 2015, 03:59pm) *
The weather here just get's worse.

When I was out this morning it was really cold. Now we have had hailstones battering down just as I had to go out again because I forgot to get bisto and I had to go round to the corner shop and got soaked and almost blown away.
I had to change into dry trouser's when I got home.

When I was in the butcher shop this morning, the guy in there said we are to get more snow today. ohmy.gif

Join the club, here is eastern Canada we are getting the same it was like the middle of winter yesterday
snow, wet snow and very cold and the wind would cut you in two, snow still on the ground, no Spring
this year I think, out walking the dogs with rain jacket and pants on top of other jacket and jeans and
rain went right through them 37F today and damp

Heather
Petunia, sure the weather is a joke for this time of year.

It has been raining most of the day here and my husband said it was very cold when he was out this morning.
Having worked in the Shipyards for many years, he does not feel the cold the way I do, so when he says it is cold, for me that means very very cold.

According to the weather forecast, we will continue to get this bad weather for another month.

We have the radiators turned on full blast as it seems to take age's for the house to heat up.

If I could get my husband on a plane, I would be off to sunny Spain for a few weeks.
zascot
It`s the opposite here Heather, supposed to have cooled down but it was 29C yesterday and will be the same today. We obviously don`t get as cold as you but our winters are dry with blue skys every day and no rain but the temps can get to 0 deg c overnight but during the day its still around 18-20 c. Well I`m off to sit outside for a bit and read my book then shopping as my wife had an op on her foot and I`m now the goffer.
Heather
Aye it's ok for some folk to sit in the sun.

The temp here today is 12c.

When I went out shopping today it was sunny. When I came out of the Supermarket there was a cold wind blowing and I was glad to get home.
angel

Heather , we started off with beautiful sunshine this morning
but it has now clouded over , temp. about 12"Cel. no rain in
the forecast but the temp will go up to 20"C.

The roof is finally finished but it will be another
week before the bathroom is done .

I have some errands to run this morning
so I will get on with that and hopefully
I will get the top coat of paint on the doors .
anyway , you have a good weekend .

angel

Annie about my plans for Scotland in the Autumn ,
they are beginning to look a bit shaky at this time ,
but I am forever hopeful that it will be sometime
this year ,
There is also a possibility that I might travel with
them on their vacation , I have done that before
and had great times , anyway we will just see what
turns up . ..... you know , " the best laid plans "
have a good weekend .

angel

In my prime my height was 5'9"
but during a medical appointment
last week, I now find that in my dotage
I have shrunk to 5'7"and a half ,
now if only I could shrink in width . mellow.gif
angel

My grand daughter skype'd me this morning
to show me my new G.grandchildren , , they
are coming along just fine and " well! what can I say,
they are just so beautiful biggrin.gif anyway I sang them
some wee Glesga street songs and they did listen laugh.gif
and now they are sound asleep . " my day is made " yes.gif

Heather
Angel, I'm sure your g'children enjoyed the Glesga street songs, that is if they could understand your Glesga accent.
lol
When my g'daughter's were young, I used to teach them how to play doublers and sang all the songs we used to sing when we played
One of the favourite's they used to laugh at was, ' My father's a King my mother's a Queen' Do you remember that one?
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 3rd May 2015, 06:40pm) *
Angel, I'm sure your g'children enjoyed the Glesga street songs, that is if they could understand your Glesga accent.
lol
When my g'daughter's were young, I used to teach them how to play doublers and sang all the songs we used to sing when we played
One of the favourite's they used to laugh at was, ' My father's a King my mother's a Queen' Do you remember that one?

No heather I don't ,

it sounds to posh for me lol
although when I sang those little songs I would
remember and sing one after the other .

today was .. ma maws' a corker , Who shaved the barber'
Ma maw say's av tae go wae ma faithers' dinnero .
I boat a wee fiddle fur 9pence and it was Irish too .
Skinny malinkie long legs, and a few others .. O' Paddie on the railway,
When in the past while out driving , I would sing those songs to my
other grand kids and there mother said that they were a bad
influence on her children laugh.gif laugh.gif needless to say I kept singing
and the kids loved it . cheers
Heather
Angel not too posh at all. LOL

My father's a King my mother's a Queen, I'm a little Princess and your a dirty wee thing.
It's not because your dirty it's not because your clean, but because you have the whooping cough and measles in between.
My mother said if I play with you she'll put me over her knee and this is what she will do.
She will give me, I 2 3 a leary, 4 5 6 aleary, 7 8 9 aleary, 10 aleary jimbo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.