Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
gardenqueen
I think I must be crazy but I am going for a day trip to Brighton today, by train, with my friend. The weather forecast is heavy rain but, such is life.

A quick look at the sea then lunch here: http://www.terreaterre.co.uk/

Betsy2009
Enjoy yourself GQ. A little bit of weather won't spoil your day.
I'd have problems with the lunch at that place though. Are you allowed to have three puddings? Very difficult to choose just one!
angel

a beautiful day outside , brilliant blue sky with
extreme cold temps , but no snow today for a change .
This morning it was -27C , the wind chill factor was -35C
and it's much the same all over the north eastern part
of this continent , with more to come .
I will be at home this day and will spend time getting my
boxes filled with clothing article's Etc. for the Salvation army and also a nice pork chop casserole being done in the oven .
Well thats' my day!

GQ , I hope that you had an enjoyable day out with you friend .

jakka13
I'm like you Angel .Hunkering down inside ,wishing it would warm up .I'm emptying out my bathroom as I've a refit starting on Thursday .Must be mad HA HA .I'm sure I'll love it once its done . thumbup.gif
angel
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 16th Feb 2015, 02:57pm) *
I'm like you Angel .Hunkering down inside ,wishing it would warm up .I'm emptying out my bathroom as I've a refit starting on Thursday .Must be mad HA HA .I'm sure I'll love it once its done . thumbup.gif

Jean , nothing mad about it , just get on with life ,
I know it's very difficult to do
after losing the other half of you
but you can do it .

I am sure that you will be pleased with the work they do .
My D.I.L. had that job done with her bathroom ,She was delighted .
Elma
Spending the day at home today catching up as I was in Lethbridge at the weekend at the University of Lethbridge latest play . My grandson was in this one, he has been in almost every play since his first year at U of L.

Another beautiful day here, sunshine and blue sky, all the snow is disappearing as it is so warm, not all of Canada is in deep freeze right now. Here in BC the temps are way above normal around 10C. Many of the ski hills have had to close as there is not enough snow, ours is still open but not so good!
gardenqueen
Thanks, angel and Betsy.

Back home now. Have had a great time although the journey to and from St Albans was a bit slower than I would have liked. We arrived there at 12.30 and walked straight to the restaurant as we had a booking. We settled on the set lunch and a small carafe of white wine. The portions were large and we were unable to finish the main course or the dessert (the nosey parkin). We could easily have shared one of the meals between the two of us. It was pretty expensive for a mid week lunch, with the tip, but worth it anyway.

It was pouring with rain when we left the restaurant but we went for a walk along the seafront, very bracing! Felt rejeuvenated, lol. We did "the lanes" then sheltered in an arcade changing 2.50 each, enjoyed the machines, lost the lot and left. As the rain wasn't getting any better, we took an earlier train home than we intended. My friend is a head teacher in London and works hard so we usually try to have a bit of a day out during the holidays, like today.

Good for body and soul, if not the waistline.
petunia
Digging our from under 7-8 feet of snow in my driveway after the 4th blizzards in 7 days or less, need to dig the car out to go stock up as more coming
gardenqueen
I couldn't cope with that level of snow, petunia.

It has been a lovely, Spring-like day here today, sunny and a little bit warm. Pity it wasn't like that in Brighton yesterday.

I had one of my neighbours pop in to see me this morning, just for a chat. Food shopping in the local supermarket after that then my daughter in law came round with the new baby in the afternoon.

Tomorrow I am meeting up with a new "friend" for coffee in M&S then, on Thursday I have booked to take my grandsons (3 and 5) to a Frozen Sing-along. I must be a glutton for punishment, lol. I don't even like the film let alone sit in a cinema watching it and listening to lots of young children belting out the tunes. No, I am actually looking forward to seeing them all enjoying themselves.
Heather
GQ, buy ear plugs, then watch the children's faces. Smile when they smile and laugh when the laugh. laugh.gif

I was back at the Doctor yesterday as I can't get rid of this Chest Infection and I was croaking when I spoke.

The Doctor said the constant coughing was hurting my voice box and she gave me steroids to help and today I can speak a bit better. I also was given more antibiotics, so hopefully they will help.

I was also told to go Shettleston Health Centre for a Chest Xray. So this morning I got a taxi to the Health Centre only to be told the Xray machine was not working and Baillieston Health Centre were notified about it last week. wub.gif

I had to go to the Royal Infirmary, so that meant a bus into Argyle Street then a long walk up High Street as there are very few buses go up the High Street.
But at least when I got there I was attended to right away. I will get the results in 2/3 weeks.

The annoying thing about it was that I could have got to the Royal in a taxi quicker than going to Shettleston as I live just a minute from the Edinburgh Road, then it's a straight run to the Royal.

gardenqueen
I might go for that ear plugs idea, Heather, lol.

I really hope you are feeling better soon. I have known/heard of so many people, including my son, who have suffered similar symptoms this winter. He was given antibiotics and steroids too and he is, thankfully, feeling a lot better now.

How frustrating about the fiasco, especially when you are not feeling too well. It is worthwhile complaining so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Taxis don't come cheap. Anyway, I am glad you were seen promptly and hope your results are good and that they come quickly.

Take care of yourself.
Heather
GQ, I think I should claim travel expenses from my Doctor. wink.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 16th Feb 2015, 11:11am) *
Thanks, angel and Betsy.

Back home now. Have had a great time although the journey to and from St Albans was a bit slower than I would have liked. We arrived there at 12.30 and walked straight to the restaurant as we had a booking. We settled on the set lunch and a small carafe of white wine. The portions were large and we were unable to finish the main course or the dessert (the nosey parkin). We could easily have shared one of the meals between the two of us. It was pretty expensive for a mid week lunch, with the tip, but worth it anyway.

It was pouring with rain when we left the restaurant but we went for a walk along the seafront, very bracing! Felt rejeuvenated, lol. We did "the lanes" then sheltered in an arcade changing 2.50 each, enjoyed the machines, lost the lot and left. As the rain wasn't getting any better, we took an earlier train home than we intended. My friend is a head teacher in London and works hard so we usually try to have a bit of a day out during the holidays, like today.

Good for body and soul, if not the waistline.

Sounded lovely!!.....been to Brighton many times! interesting place.
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Heather @ 17th Feb 2015, 08:58pm) *
GQ, I think I should claim travel expenses from my Doctor. wink.gif

I wish you luck with that one, Heather. biggrin.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (wellfield @ 17th Feb 2015, 09:42pm) *
Sounded lovely!!.....been to Brighton many times! interesting place.

It is a lovely place, wellfield. When we moved to Surrey, it was one of the places we considered buying in but settled for Redhill instead. I think if we had bought in Brighton, we would probably not have moved back to Hertfordshire so I would have missed out on seeing as much of my family. Mind you, I bet they would have visited Brighton often enough.
Heather
Being Pancake Tuesday, I made Pancakes today and they are nice and tasty especially spread with some honey. smile.gif

Ash Wednesday tomorrow, so I have to be up and out nice and early as our Morning Service is at 9'30.
Heather
It was quite mild when I was out this morning.

The Chapel was packed with it being Ash Wednesday.

I had a good look at our garden when I came home and it is a mess. I have never seen the garden look so bad with dead flowers and grass growing everywhere.
At this time of year I would usually be out sorting the garden, but with this Chest Infection I can't risk it.

It looks worse because I dug out a lot of over grown plants at the end of the year, so I will have to wait until I am fit enough to get out there.
Heather
What a day, the weather is terrible.

I went out to empty the bin and nearly got blown away. ohmy.gif
jakka13
Just as well you don't live here Heather .Minus 38 degrees on the weekend with the wind chill .We have been below freezing for the last 28 days .Haven't been able to get to the cottage because of the weather but there must be about five feet of snow on top of my Daffs and lilys angry.gif
zascot
30 deg C here today jakka and the pool water is at 29. Sitting here in shorts and t shirt having breakfast in the sun cool3.gif biggrin.gif
Elma
You will have to move to BC, Jakka, temp here today was 6 degrees. Although we had more snow over the weekend the temp was down today from 9C with blue sky and sunshine biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 24th Feb 2015, 03:38am) *
Just as well you don't live here Heather .Minus 38 degrees on the weekend with the wind chill .We have been below freezing for the last 28 days .Haven't been able to get to the cottage because of the weather but there must be about five feet of snow on top of my Daffs and lilys angry.gif

well Jakka at this time just before 11am the
air temp. has gone up to -14 but with the wind factor it
feels much colder , however the weather channel says ,
come Monday the temp. will rise to -1Cel. , Roll on March
maybe then all the snow will begin to melt and yes.gif
we can wear our wellies.
gardenqueen
The British climate, much as we moan, is the right one for me. I can't stand extremes of heat or cold. Over the years I have been to plenty of hot countries on holiday and then wondered what on earth I am doing there as I am so uncomfortable. Snow is for ski slopes and Christmas as far as I am concerned.
Really, I am well placed here in Hertfordshire, we get a bit of everything and rarely extremes. Spring is springing here but it can still be very crisp outside. The sun is trying to shine, without much success at the moment, but generally we tend to get a bit of sun most days.

Anyway, today. In a minute, my husband and I are going to a neighbour for coffee. They were here a couple of weeks ago before they went down to their place in France, so I am sure there will be lots of pics to look at. Later on, I have my daughter in law bringing over the new baby and also my six year old granddaughter for tea with us.

Tomorrow and Friday - looking after my grandson. I won't know what to do with myself when he starts school in September. That is, until January when I will be looking after the new baby for one day a week.
RonD
Not a sign of Spring here GQ, sub zero temps all Feb., one of the coldest on record. It definitely fits in the ¨nerves frayed¨ dept.
bilbo.s
Up to26C here yesterday. Not bad for February. Haven't used the portable gas heater for 3 days now.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 25th Feb 2015, 11:53am) *
The British climate, much as we moan, is the right one for me. I can't stand extremes of heat or cold.

Hi GQ, I have heard people say that Joburg has the best climate in the world, whether that's true or not I don't know. We sit about five and a half thousand feet up and in summer it can go into the mid 30c's but without the humidity they get down at the coast so its not an unbearable heat. Winter all two months of it can get down to 10c but that's extremely cold for this place.
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 26th Feb 2015, 11:48am) *
Hi GQ, I have heard people say that Joburg has the best climate in the world, whether that's true or not I don't know. We sit about five and a half thousand feet up and in summer it can go into the mid 30c's but without the humidity they get down at the coast so its not an unbearable heat. Winter all two months of it can get down to 10c but that's extremely cold for this place.

That sounds quite tolerable, DG, I've never been though and unlikely to now. I almost did in the late 60s, early 70s, to find work but my mum wasn't too keen so I came to London instead.
gardenqueen
It's about 4 degrees outside right now (around 8.30pm), so not too bad.

I am upstairs, in my room, windows open doing what I like to do every Thursday evening, i.e. listening to bell ringing practise at the church in The Old Town. It is a sound that I love, so cheerful.

When I grew up, in Glasgow, we lived opposite a church but the "bells" were more like chimes, a recording of chimes at that. I didn't enjoy listening to those at all and couldn't wait for them to end. But I just love the sound of these bells, in our local, Norman church.

Small things, eh? I am seriously considering joining the bellringers. I don't care which religious denomination the church is, lol.
jakka13
When I first moved into this Condo ,almost 40 years ago we had a lovely little church across the street .(still there ).At noon and Seven pm the clarion bells would play hymns .BEAUTIFUL!!!!.A few years ago this stopped !!!!! I went into the church office to ask why there were no more bells .I was told the system was down .On more requests for information I was told complaints had been made about Christian hymns /Christmas Carols being played that they had stopped .This little Church recently advertised on their notice board ." PANCAKE & SAMOSA TUESDAY "What has happenedto our Christian
jakka13
Wouldn't let me continue ,Beliefs ?????
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 26th Feb 2015, 08:00pm) *
That sounds quite tolerable, DG, I've never been though and unlikely to now. I almost did in the late 60s, early 70s, to find work but my mum wasn't too keen so I came to London instead.

In those days, the jobs available were unbelievable, you would have people starting in the morning and by lunch time they would be gone for a better offer, standing in the bars you would be getting job offers galore, now, this week it was announced the unemployment rate has dropped to 25 percent
Dave Grieve
Double post
bilbo.s
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 27th Feb 2015, 05:38am) *
When I first moved into this Condo ,almost 40 years ago we had a lovely little church across the street .(still there ).At noon and Seven pm the clarion bells would play hymns .BEAUTIFUL!!!!.A few years ago this stopped !!!!! I went into the church office to ask why there were no more bells .I was told the system was down .On more requests for information I was told complaints had been made about Christian hymns /Christmas Carols being played that they had stopped .This little Church recently advertised on their notice board ." PANCAKE & SAMOSA TUESDAY "What has happenedto our Christian

Do Christians not believe in samosas ?
Betsy2009
Samosas are nicer than pancakes. Yum!
ashfield
Aye, I eat them religiously tongue.gif
Betsy2009
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 27th Feb 2015, 04:38am) *

Sorry Jakka! Didn't mean to make fun of your post. I just love samosas!

I used to live in a village near a church which regularly played the bells - quite loudly. I liked it but they did chime on the hour with tunes playing every 3 hours from about 8 in the morning till about 8 in the evening. A bit much, especially if you were trying to get a baby to go to sleep or were doing shift work. Perhaps that was the reason that people complained? Not so much 'Christian' more 'noise'?
Dave Grieve
I used to live about half a mile away from an Afrikaans Dutch Reformed Church and the noise of those bells on a Sunday was enough to waken the dead, after a while the noise stopped so I would imagine the people living underneath them complained enough for them to tone them down.
gardenqueen
You get a lot of people moving to lovely little villages and then complaining about the noise of the church bells. I can never understand that. They know the deal, as it has probably been for centuries, when they buy. I expect they also want supermarkets and the like to replace the village shops.

I am addicted to the sound of the proper ringing of bells. We have them practise on a Thursday evening, then again on Sundays and for weddings. Delightful, in my opinion.

The sun has been shining all day today and it feels quite mild. Started off frosty though and I had to de-ice my car so that I could move it to make room for my daughter dropping off my grandson. He has been playing happily all day, with Duplo, cars and the like. No tv today, no computer. He asked to make cakes so we made some with red noses for him to take home this evening. We then went out to play in the garden and "shed" where he, again, happily played for a couple of hours with his toys while we listened to nursery rhymes on Spotify. It has been a delightful day. I just can't imagine that he will be starting school in September, he is still only three and a half.
Betsy2009
"You get a lot of people moving to lovely little villages and then complaining about the noise of the church bells. I can never understand that. They know the deal, as it has probably been for centuries, when they buy. I expect they also want supermarkets and the like to replace the village shops."

Hello GQ.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very few churches who do ring their bells these days, apart from weddings and suchlike. I did like the bell ringing but could understand people not being keen if they live very close to a church and are not expecting it.

As for the shops, at least it's usually easier to park in a village than in, say, Glasgow or even walk to the shop so that helps the shops too. Thank goodness. I love village life.
angel

I have company staying over for the next week
so that will keep me on my toes.

I am looking forward to their visit but I hope that they
will be prepared to shovel lots of snow . yes.gif
wombat
rolleyes.gif 6 am and a balmy 30 deg here
so ah'm sittin here havin a beer thumbup.gif
angel

It's a Balmy -14 here
and I'll have a glass of wine
tonight with supper . tongue.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
It's a big day ahead for me - mind you some folk may say it would be boring for them!

From early afternoon I will be glued to the TV, watching New Zealand hosting Australia in a Cricket World Cup pool game in Auckland. There's nothing like it and as the forecast temperature here in Christchurch is 28 degrees, I won't need to feel guilty about not gardening!

Add to that, my local Super 15 rugby team, the Crusaders are playing the Chiefs tonight. I will probably record the game as the cricket will coincide with it. Ah, what a great treat in store. Go the Black Caps of New Zealand!!
Elma
Wouldn't be boring for me, I love cricket - and rugby biggrin.gif
We don't get cricket here so it would be a pleasure to be able to watch it. Some is played in Vancouver but I'm 12 hours away from there so it's not a possibility.
Heather
I never knew any women who liked Cricket. wink.gif

I have had a week of doing nothing, as I'm still trying to get rid of my Chest Infection.
I have never know an Infection to last so long.
My husband wanted to call the Doctor in yesterday but I said 'no' now I think I should have let him.

It is still cold and wet here. Roll on the Spring.

Angel, that will be a busy week for you with your visitor's.
Elma
Heather, I have been watching cricket ever since I was at school. The boys at our school played cricket in the summer together with rowing, the girls played tennis, so I got used to cheering the teams on and developed a liking for the sport. It also helped that I had one boyfriend who was a cricket 'nut' who played for West of Scotland and then my husband also played the game. biggrin.gif
Scots Kiwi Lass
This was a fantastic game but low-scoring. New Zealand should have easily won but the Aussies, as ever, were formidable and fought back. NZ won by the skin of their teeth. Great entertainment - I loved every minute.

Unfortunately, my rugby team lost heavily but you can't have everything. It was still a great day.
Heather
So Kiwi & Elma you are both into sports, good for you.

The only sport's I was involved in was Swimming and Netball.

As a school girl I won a couple of Swimming Certificate's swimming in the Inter School Gala's.

I was also in the School Netball Team and many years later, l did a Youth Leader's Course in Netball, and taught Netball in a Youth Club for 14 years.

My team were in a league, so I got plenty of excercise running up and down a Netball Court, Umpiring Netball matches.
Heather
It's bad enough to hear on the new's that a 16years old girl is missing in Bristol, but to hear today that the Police have now found body parts in a house the were directed to.

What a terrible thing to happen to a young girl.
I was in tears listening to the New's and knowing the terrible heartache her family will have to live with.

What is happening in this Country when just about every day some one is getting murdered.
angel

Lunchtime here , with a sweltering temp. of 2'C
warmest it's been all winter . with promises
that it will get warmer . smile.gif this week .
Time to discard the winter clothing .

I'm off to the Doc. this afternoon , hopefully
this will be my last visit to a cardiologist .

My company left on Saturday it was just
a wonderful time with them. so now I am looking
forward to the springtime and that all the snow that is
around will be melted by then. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.