Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
RonD
Jimmyd posted recently on the Karaoke (spelling?) thread.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (RonD @ 23rd Nov 2014, 12:32pm) *
My German brother in law had an annual event on Boxing Day called a speck fry, where you held slices of bacon over the fire in a drum. I never attended one but it was only well attended by the neighbours apparently. Maybe you know more about this Tomi?

Hi Ron, Speck is like (smoked)Bacon ... only it's about 1/2" to 1" thick rolleyes.gif
Our local Christmas markets are slowly being set up now which means that the stalls are being put in place for the time being: It's still a bit too early yet.
Glühwein is a must. Although I like my wine chilled I do look forward to a glowing hot wine at Christmas to ward off the winter chill. tongue.gif
TeeHeeHee
Yesterday the Boss at the Hotel came over to Show me the English bank notes he got Prior to his trip to Manchester to watch with his son as Man.U. get tanked by Bayern. He pulled a tenner from his wad and said, "Here,Tomi. One for you to have."
I thought that was a nice wee gesture on his part but, being a Scot, politely refused and told him he might regret having given me an English tenner when he and his son are still drowning their sorrows at the Airport and find that they are 6 quid short on their last order before going to the gate and wishing he'd hung on to that tenner. laugh.gif

Anyway, I know Bayern will tank Man.U. wink.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 25th Nov 2014, 05:52pm) *
... Anyway, I know Bayern will tank Man.U. wink.gif

I know of at least two happy Germans who'll be heading for home today ... Mind you, I should have taken the Chef's tenner and put it on Chelsea tanking Schalke 04 tongue.gif

bilbo.s
Tomi ! Mair Coke in the Bacardi ! I've been trawling all over the net for the result of Man U. v Bayern, only to find eventually that it was Man. CITY who were playing ! tongue.gif
gardenqueen
Spending the day catching up on chores like changing the water filter, ironing, washing and putting away a lot of clutter to make way for more (Christmas) clutter this weekend. My granddaughter will be 6 on Monday and we always make the house festive for her when she comes round. Getting rid of a lot of stuff we don't use or intend to use, to the charity shops.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Nov 2014, 10:17am) *
Tomi ! Mair Coke in the Bacardi ! I've been trawling all over the net for the result of Man U. v Bayern, only to find eventually that it was Man. CITY who were playing ! tongue.gif

But I like it 50/50 Bill laugh.gif
... and I heard this morning that a German Radio Station was giving a 3:2 result for Manchester (whichever - never liked United anyway tongue.gif )
Heather
Tonight I'm off with the UCM to the Verona Father's in Carmyle for a Retreat.

We have been there before and it's not too hard on the old knee's. wink.gif

Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Heather @ 26th Nov 2014, 03:01pm) *

Best sight I had coming here was seeing all the pews had padded kneeling boards laugh.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 26th Nov 2014, 01:52pm) *
But I like it 50/50 Bill laugh.gif
... and I heard this morning that a German Radio Station was giving a 3:2 result for Manchester (whichever - never liked United anyway tongue.gif )

Eh? unsure.gif
TeeHeeHee
Bacardi, Bill: 50/50 with Coke tongue.gif
Man.City 3:2 Bayern Munchen rolleyes.gif
(On the German Teletext I read Bayern 2: Manchester 1 last night unsure.gif )
norrie123
Hi TeeHee Hee, it was 2-1 to Bayern with about 10? minutes left, I could not see Man Cty winning the match but what do I know

Bye for now, norrie
irrie
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 26th Nov 2014, 03:22pm) *
Hi TeeHee Hee, it was 2-1 to Bayern with about 10? minutes left, I could not see Man Cty winning the match but what do I know

Bye for now, norrie

Very unlike Bayern to gift their opponents 2 goals right at the end..
TeeHeeHee
PHEW ... Thanks guys laugh.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Heather @ 26th Nov 2014, 01:01pm) *

I remember, when I was at secondary school, we used to go for retreats but I can't remember where they would have been. A group of us girls would go together, on the bus and spend the day talking with the nuns, praying a bit and then, best of all, would get our tea before setting off home.

We all looked forward to going. Some people went for the weekend but we just went for the day. Happier days, for sure. Nice to look back on.
angel
I remember in primary school going on a retreat
to Carfin , on two occasions both by train , from
Partick , run by our parish .
the train ride if I remember took maybe about 25mins.
and on both occasions a lovely Sunday afternoon. biggrin.gif
wellfield
Preparing for Thanksgiving Day (thursday) ....a big day here in the USA!....waiting for my Grandson to help me get the Christmas tree down from the rafters (fake)..also,it 82 degrees (F) here in California,gorgeous day.
TeeHeeHee
So, Wellfield, while you're gettin' slapped intae your Turkey at home in California with 82°F, I'll be gettin slapped intae a tin a paint ootside doon at the Hotel in the SW of Germany at 3°C if A'm lucky.
Some People have a lot tae be thankful for tongue.gif
Enjoy your Thanksgiving ... and your Turkey wink.gif
ashfield
Well I'm shivering today sad.gif The old CH is kapoot and it will be tomorrow before we can get someone to have a look at it. As tomorrow is Friday, I'm taking a guess that the required part needed to fix it (there always is a part needed) will have to be ordered, it will be Monday at the earliest before it's working again.

For the last two summers I've toyed with the idea of getting a wood burning stove installed, this has finally made my mind up to get one next year yes.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 26th Nov 2014, 05:33pm) *
So, Wellfield, while you're gettin' slapped intae your Turkey at home in California with 82°F, I'll be gettin slapped intae a tin a paint ootside doon at the Hotel in the SW of Germany at 3°C if A'm lucky.
Some People have a lot tae be thankful for tongue.gif
Enjoy your Thanksgiving ... and your Turkey wink.gif
Ha' Ha'...Thank ye' Lad!
norrie123
Hi Ashfield, I hope your not in a Smokeless Zone or have they been done away with
Hope your CH is fixed sooner rather than later?

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
We had a wood burning stove in our last house and used to burn logs. There didn't seem to be any restrictions there (Surrey) and chimney sweeps were doing good business in the area. Here in Hertfordshire there also seems to be a trend to have woodburners put into houses, a few Victorian terraces in our street have put them in. I prefer to see chimney smoke that all that stuff churned out by boilers when the heating is on. I would love another one but ours is a 50s or 60s house and it wouldn't really suit.
Heather
The Retreat went very well and the Priest whom we have had before is very socialable.
He is a Missionary from Sunderland and kept referring to us as 'bonnie lassies'. laugh.gif

No kneeling at all and we did have our tea, cake and biscuits before we went home.

I wonder if any of you get a lot of junk mail and leaflets stuck through your letter boxes. I am sick to the teeth of them and you can't even buy a news paper without junk inside them.

We get a lot pf plastic bags put through the letter box asking for them to be filled clothes. If I filled every one we get, I would have no clothes left.
ashfield
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 27th Nov 2014, 06:53pm) *
Hi Ashfield, I hope your not in a Smokeless Zone or have they been done away with
Hope your CH is fixed sooner rather than later?

Bye for now, norrie

Norrie, as far as I know the smokeless zones still exist. An article I read on woodburning stoves suggested that most installers are aware which areas can't use them. It just seems like a good back up for the few hard winters we get, not to mention the times when the CH is on the blink rolleyes.gif

jakka13
One of the best things about my wee cottage is the wood burner .Safe ,low cost and warmed the place up a treat when we would first go up and just before we left when the TEMPS fell .Next best thing to a big open fire ,but safer .
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Heather @ 27th Nov 2014, 10:04pm) *
The Retreat went very well and the Priest whom we have had before is very socialable.
He is a Missionary from Sunderland and kept referring to us as 'bonnie lassies'. laugh.gif

No kneeling at all and we did have our tea, cake and biscuits before we went home.

I wonder if any of you get a lot of junk mail and leaflets stuck through your letter boxes. I am sick to the teeth of them and you can't even buy a news paper without junk inside them.

We get a lot pf plastic bags put through the letter box asking for them to be filled clothes. If I filled every one we get, I would have no clothes left.

Hi Heather our local priest is one of those that you are happy to go and listen to, a real cheery sort of fellow that very rarely gets serious and is probably the most popular priest I have ever come across even with the kids who are always taking about what Father Tony said last week.

We have the same problem with junk mail this side as you are talking about and now the Sunday newspapers have come out with to me the ultimate in junk mail so far.
The front page is a pull out mock up of the front page with the top half showing the days banner headlines and half a story, then when you turn to page 2 its all adverts with the front page, page 2, the inside back page and the back page all adverts only then do you come to the real newspaper.
I wouldn't mind if I could throw it into the fireplace but we don't have one.

Heather
Dave, we don't have a fireplace either.
Where I live, the house's were built in the in the early 80s with Central Heating only.

We don't even have a chimney for Santa to come down. sad.gif
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 26th Nov 2014, 05:55pm) *
PHEW ... Thanks guys laugh.gif

I took all that to mean that the 3:2 result I'd heard was wrong ... What do I know Norrie laugh.gif

Still, the Chef brought me a bottle of Ballantines back, which he gave me this morning, so even in the face of defeat ... tongue.gif

Wellfield, Long time since I've been called Lad ... helluva Long time in fact laugh.gif
gardenqueen
I've been very busy today and will be tomorrow.

Started the day with a trip to the supermarket - boring stuff.

Spent late morning and up until now wrapping my grandchildren's Christmas presents to put under the tree and/or take to the family Christmas gathering. I know it seems early but I am determined to be on top of things this year as I usually go down with some virus or another before Christmas. I have even written out my Christmas cards ready to post although there will need to be a quick review of those to remove any I decide not to send (well, you never know, lol).

Have had an oven cleaning company in this afternoon to remove the disgusting grime from my oven. I do try to keep it clean but never seem to manage to. He reckons that once a year to have it cleaned is about right so that seems good value at around £1 a week.

Cooking a simple meal this evening (spag bol) as I will be overdoing the rich food later in the week, no doubt, when I have my friend staying. Yummy, looking forward to that already.
Betsy2009
So who's going skating ...

http://www.glasgowloveschristmas.com/glasg...es/default.aspx
Betsy2009
Live nearer Edinburgh?

http://www.edinburghschristmas.com/whats-on/ice-rink1
Heather
I have not started my Christmas shopping yet.

I don't have a clue what to buy my Husband as he enough clothes to last a lifetime.
He said not to get him anything as he can't think of anything he wants. wub.gif

The g'son was round today and forget to bring the list for him and his sister's Christmas presents.
I alway get a list from them so I can buy something they would like to have.
gardenqueen
I have more or less finished mine now, apart from the secret santa gift that all the adults in the family do. It is so hard to think of something I would like, how things have changed over the years! I used to get so excited about getting presents but not really now.

I buy my grandchildren's presents all year and put them in the loft, lots of bargains as and when I find them. As they get older it will be different, I expect, but now they are just happy to rip the wrapping off. I was really grateful that I had listed them on my Christmas app as, otherwise, I would have forgotten what I bought.

Just had a lovely parcel delivered from John Lewis with the baby (boy) clothes I bought online for the little one due next month. Of course I won't be handing them over before he is born. Got some lovely things, reminded me of when I was shopping for my own son, 37 years ago.
Heather
We got our first Christmas Card a few days ago. I have not started to write our's yet.

I'm still getting those scam emails said to be from BT, and today I had one from the Halifax asking me to verify my details. We have never banked with Halifax.
Those scammers must think we are all daft. angry.gif
jakka13
For me right now the worst thing is the cards coming in addressed to Mr and Mrs .I just cry .I sat down this morning with a pile of cards and my address book but just couldn't write on any of them .If your reading this and you usually get a card from me then I'm sure you will understand .To everyone I have an e-mail address for I won't forget you .It might be a bit easier to send e-cards this year .
gardenqueen
It must be awful to receive cards addressed to Mr & Mrs when that is no longer.

I notice now that, every year, on every page in my address book, there is someone who is no longer with us. So sad.
gardenqueen
I was out at my friend's house this evening and we booked, online, to see Justin Hayward (ex The Moody Blues) next July. I am usually quite dubious about going to see the "oldies" but I am now looking forward to seeing him in St Albans.
Elma
Don't worry about sending cards this year Jean, we all know how you feel. But rest assured, you will still get one from me especially for you. wub.gif
Heather
Jakka, it will be a sad Christmas for you and Annewan.

I'm sure your families will rally round and see you both through this sad time.

It was snowing and sleeting quite heavy this morning and it is very cold outside.

We have received more Christmas cards and I have just started to write mine and will post them during the week.
Heather
I spent the day in town doing my Christmas shopping. Now I only have two items to buy.

We read all the time ' Glasgow loves Christmas'.
Well it's time someone told the shops that as Argyle Street is a joke and no shops were decorated the way they used to be, and nowhere did I see any Happy Christmas signs. angry.gif

I remember the days when the town was lit up for Christmas everyone took the children out to see it. It was a pleasure to see all the happy smiling face's and Christmas songs and Carol's blaring out everywhere.
gardenqueen
I think more and more of the smaller towns and villages are making more of Christmas than they used to. There are a lot of local events going on here and near here.

Like in Glasgow, by the sounds of it, the lights in London are nothing like they once were. Years ago we would drive into and through London just for the evening, to see the lights. Not these days though.

At our local market yesterday, there was some nice displays and I was almost tempted to buy some unusual gifts from one stall, run by a young woman, until I noticed that, on her blackboard, she had written "Happy Crimbo to everyone". I moved on to another stall. That is even worse, in my opinion, than "Happy Xmas" which I can't stand either.
Heather
GQ. I don't like Happy Xmas either.

Happy Crimbo is a new that I have just heard recently.

Right along Argyle Street there are a lot of stalls selling all different items and the usual fast food.

I just went into McDonalds for my usual cup of tea and a cheese burger.
cathy52
I hate when people say happy xmas ,merry xmas and a happy new year,the next thing will be merry new year. Really drives me mad clap.gif
gardenqueen
Mind you, this makes interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
Betsy2009
I don't care how people say it or spell it as long as it's said with a smile. It's the thought that counts.
Heather
I have had a busy day.

I washed the venetian blinds in the kitchen, then the window frame's, then I washed the window's.

I often wonder why the Company who built these house's had to make the windows so big.
The window's in our sitting room, kitchen and utilty rooms are 6ft long.

I took everything out the cupboards under the sink, washed the shelves and got rid of rubbish that seems to gather there.

Then I took the cooker oven apart. Although I wipe the cooker after cooking a meal, it is surprising how the the runners still manage to get all greasy.

Now I am having a rest and a cup of tea. smile.gif

Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Heather @ 10th Dec 2014, 06:56pm) *
I have had a busy day.

I washed the venetian blinds in the kitchen, then the window frame's, then I washed the window's.

I often wonder why the Company who built these house's had to make the windows so big.
The window's in our sitting room, kitchen and utilty rooms are 6ft long.

I took everything out the cupboards under the sink, washed the shelves and got rid of rubbish that seems to gather there.

Then I took the cooker oven apart. Although I wipe the cooker after cooking a meal, it is surprising how the the runners still manage to get all greasy.

Now I am having a rest and a cup of tea. smile.gif

Enjoy your rest and wee cup of tea Heather, and the reason the windows are so big? well its to let all that sunshine in thumbup.gif
gardenqueen
I like big windows, it is what I look for whenever I have bought a house over the years. Light is really important to me, it really affects my mood.

OK, the cleaning (inside) can be a nightmare but worth it, in my opinion.

Dylan
Our front Lounge window is 8ft X 6 ft.

We love it.

Widow cleaner outside, me inside !.
angel

No cleaning windows for me today .
just clearing away the snow from them
caused by the wind drifts .
Window cleaner is me biggrin.gif inside and out ,
for outside , I use a hose with an attachment
that holds the cleaning fluid and it reaches the
upstairs windows , it does a good job .

I've been busy these last few days ,Christmas ,
medical appointments Etc. Etc. and as usual
lousy computer , although
this morning , I finally found out from the server
that the router is causing some of the problems .
Well ! I'll just have to deal with that smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.