Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
gardenqueen
Weather has been wet and wild here in Herts. Hard to believe they are forecasting an "Indian summer" type weekend!

Stayed at home and caught up with chores, lots of ironing, unpacked and checked our new bathroom delivery, made some craft items to send to a very kind lady on the Martin Lewis site who sent me a lot of things to help with my crafts (unbelievable kindness from someone I have never met), read my new house magazine and relaxed for a while and now have a roast chicken dinner in the oven.

Quite nice to have days like this, I think.
angel

We ended with rain showers to day but it is quite warm .
I got washing done and put in the dryer and in between the loads
and the rain showers I did get some more yard cleanup done around
the borders .
I too had chicken today G.Q. it was a hot chicken sandwich
with gravy for lunch and this evening I am going out to a family
thanksgiving dinner so I'm looking forward to that .
Hope that you have lots of days like you have had today.

gardenqueen
Thanks, angel, I hope I do too.

Your lunch sounds interesting but I also envy you going for a Thanksgiving dinner. I love looking at pictures of Thanksgiving (American probably) on Pinterest.

Do you do all that too?

I am big on Christmas and when I see Thanksgiving, it makes me feel that it is soon on its way. I am like a child, making gifts and decorations, lol.

I hope you enjoy your dinner, you must tell us what you have to eat.

I have been knitting (experimenting as I am not following a pattern) a cushion for the bedroom in white cotton. I saw one in Marks and Spencer and thought I would try and copy it, doing a bit of stash busting at the same time. My craft room is overflowing with stuff I need to use up.
angel

Here G.Q is a little bit of history regarding Canadian Thanksgiving. smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)

gardenqueen
Thanks for that link, angel, it was very interesting.

Here, in England, the Harvest Festival tends to be something celebrated in churches or in schools. The children are encouraged to bring in items of food to be distributed to the needy. As far as I know, people don't usually do anything special in their homes, no special meal or anything.

It is interesting to read about how things are done in other countries.
Dave Grieve
Going to a place today I try to avoid a police station to report a car accident I was involved in last night.
I left the office as normal using the usual roads home when two vehicles in front of me a large truck slows down and indicates he is turning right the car in front of me slows down and on come his brake lights, I slow down and brake also, what seems like minutes later I am hit from behind, we both pull over to the side and getting out of my car I see that my back bumper is hanging down on the left hand side, then I turn my attention to the other driver and my heart sinks because I know what is coming, a youngster about 17 years old with his mother as a passenger who looks about 30 driving an old Dawoo that looks at least 25 years old all he can do is apologise and apologise all the time telling me how he couldent do anything to avoid me because the cars got no brakes, at first I thought he is telling me that the brakes failed but no he means the cars got no brakes and he uses the gears and hand brake to slow down wacko.gif

I ask him for his licence and got back what I was expecting there is no licence not even a learners his mother has no licence either, so then the silly question do you have any car insurance another apology no car insurance. what can I do its just part of the chance you take driving on the roads in sunny SA.
Now as I say I need to report the accident and hope that my insurance will pay for the damage but knowing my luck the insurance excess will be more than the cost of the repairs and that means I will end up paying for the repairs myself.
Betsy2009
Good luck with your insurance Dave but I'm glad you weren't hurt in the accident.
What was the mother doing allowing him to drive? I hope the police charge them.
gardenqueen
Glad you were not hurt, Dave.

In England, you get hit with larger premiums even if the accident isn't your fault and even if you don't make a claim, as far as I know. Always seems odd to me.

Good luck anyway.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 14th Oct 2014, 09:48am) *
Good luck with your insurance Dave but I'm glad you weren't hurt in the accident.
What was the mother doing allowing him to drive? I hope the police charge them.

Only reason I will report it is to get a case number for my insurance otherwise I wouldn't bother, nothing will be done to the youngster, as there was no deaths the cops are not interested, as I have posted elsewhere here its estimated about 50 percent of drivers on the roads here don't have a license including many in the government who have been stopped at road blocks and apart from being a story in the newspaper nothing gets done.
norrie123
Hi dave, well it could have been a lot worse
A worry right enough
Bad enough no tax , insurance or licence but a car with no brakes
Dare say the boy would get a slap on the wrist in the UK
Hope your insurance company deals with the problem and you not out of pocket

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
Cars here only go through the roadworthy when a new owner registers the car in his name, what I mean is if you buy the car new it will go through its roadworthy test and no matter how long you own it never again.
even if you were to buy a car second hand 3,5,7 years old it goes through the roadworthy to register it in your name and never again. All you have to do is pay for the yearly license.

The lack of a drivers license is not a problem either depending on how affluent you look you could probably get away with a bribe of about in your money under 3pounds.

Different world Norrie different rules, different thoughts on whats right and whats wrong, that's why the Ebola epidemic has carried on to the extent it has.
angel
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 14th Oct 2014, 08:33am) *
Glad you were not hurt, Dave.

In England, you get hit with larger premiums even if the accident isn't your fault and even if you don't make a claim, as far as I know. Always seems odd to me.

Good luck anyway.

G.Q. It's the same here , but I suppose the insurance Companies go along with
the premise that it takes at least two drivers to cause an accident , makes no
difference , right or wrong .
I never had a road accident in my life although I did have one in my
own driveway many years ago . knocked over the large garbage bin that
was there , and I killed it . sad.gif
angel
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 13th Oct 2014, 08:16pm) *
Thanks, angel, I hope I do too.

Your lunch sounds interesting but I also envy you going for a Thanksgiving dinner. I love looking at pictures of Thanksgiving (American probably) on Pinterest.

Do you do all that too?

I am big on Christmas and when I see Thanksgiving, it makes me feel that it is soon on its way. I am like a child, making gifts and decorations, lol.

I hope you enjoy your dinner, you must tell us what you have to eat.

I have been knitting (experimenting as I am not following a pattern) a cushion for the bedroom in white cotton. I saw one in Marks and Spencer and thought I would try and copy it, doing a bit of stash busting at the same time. My craft room is overflowing with stuff I need to use up.

angel

G.Q. unfortunately , I am not artistcally inclined , I just hav'nt a clue sad.gif
it's not the craft store for me , tis the hardware store , just give me
a paint brush and wallpaper , and I'm fine , although I am slowing down
a bit these days . biggrin.gif .

Last nights' dinner was a treat .

We had Turkey n stuffing ,creamed mashed potatoes loads of
gravy also cranberry sauce , baked butternut squash , glazed carrots
Brussel sprouts .

Pumkin Pie served with cream whipped dessert topping
also Apple pie , with the same topping or ice,cream
even processed cheese slices , the whole meal was delicious
and of course a few glasses of wine . and great company . thumbup.gif

norrie123
As you, say Dave, a different world and rules, dare say if UK only had MOTs when a car changed hands, some folk would be driving death traps

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
Your meal sounds delicious, angel. If I hadn't just eaten, it would be making me hungry, lol. It's great to enjoy a meal and a few drinks in good company, whatever the reason.

I used to enjoy decorating but, like yourself, I have eased off a bit now. These days I tend to go for neutral wall colours and have a seasonal revamp - thus the tartan duvet set I just bought. I never throw anything away, I either give it to my daughter or daughter in law or hang onto it to ring the changes when I feel like it. My tastes don't really change that much so I always like what I have bought.

Truth is though, I could easily be tempted to do a revamp on a weekly basis, there is that much nice stuff around. I don't do it, of course, but could get carried away.
Heather
I had quite a busy day today.

I put on a washing and took a washing off the pulley. I then ironed that lot then hung up the other washing.
Then I went out and did some more digging in the garden getting some more of those ever spreading plants out.
Oh boy, was my poor old back aching. sad.gif
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 14th Oct 2014, 07:42pm) *

I put on a washing and took a washing off the pulley. I then ironed that lot then hung up the other washing.
Then I went out and did some more digging in the garden getting some more of those ever spreading plants out.

Oh dear ! ain't life a bitch Heather, but it probably keeps us fit no matter
if it kills us . but you did have a productive day and that's important . yes.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Heather @ 14th Oct 2014, 09:42pm) *

You sound like my wife Heather, she will kill herself to finish everything today, I used to be very sympathetic towards her when she complained about sore backs but not anymore, if somethings not finished today so what, its not the end of the world
gardenqueen
I am intending to get out into the garden to tidy up, bring in the sun canopy, put away the garden furniture etc. It is looking dull and dreary out there so I am putting it off till later, lol. Got to wait in for a delivery of sheets etc. - I looked at the parcel tracking and it gave a window of 07.30 today to 21.00 tomorrow! I will be out tomorrow so am really hoping it comes today.
Heather
Ah Dave, I'm not as fussy as I used to be, and today I am doing nothing.
Mum always told us 'don't put off until tomorrow what can be done today'. ohmy.gif

I have spent this morning stitching together the aran sweater I have just finished knitting.
I should be out in the garden doing more digging, but I can't be bothered.

Tomorrow when I do the shopping I will buy a couple of bags of compost as the border needs more earth because of all the plants I have dug out although I shook off as much earth as possible.
I have to get all the border's sorted as I have a load of new spring bulbs to plant.sad.gif
wellfield
My wife and I went Ballroom Dancing today.....it was in a local parks & recreation centre,and held twice a week (12 noon to 2:30 pm) here where we live in Long Beach,CA (you can just leave a small donation)....lovely to think this still goes on,must have been a couple of hundered plus there,big hall,18 piece big band!....all retired band musicians....Slow/Slow/Quick-Quick/Slow!
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 14th Oct 2014, 11:30am) *
Cars here only go through the roadworthy when a new owner registers the car in his Name ...
Different world Norrie different rules, different thoughts on whats right and whats wrong...

You can say that again Dave.
I took an older Ford Taunus for it's bi-annual road test (TüV) out here and it failed because of a small oil leak somewhere around the engine. My Boss at that time, who also had a small Subaru Showroom told me I should have made sure the engine well was clean before I took the car in for it's test so I did that and took it back. Failed again as the guy spotted an oil droplet. Cleaned it again using Trichloroethylene. Failed! Asked the Boss if he knew where I could steam-clean the engine and he told me to bring it into the Workshop on wednesday when a TüV inspector makes in-house inspections before his cars are sold.
Passed it's TüV test with a small Annotation "Slight oil leak on Motor" on the certificate.
Lesson learned ... Never go to the TüV test centre (that was 25 years ago and I've stuck to that since it cost back then about 20 quid a test and about 40 quid today) tongue.gif
gardenqueen
Today will be spent taking my husband to a private hospital for a CT scan. Not sure why the NHS are using a private hospital but, hey, ho! It is possibly cheaper than building a new one or something.

I will just be glad for him to have the tests as he has not been well for a couple of months or more.

I hate driving and it is an awkward place to get to, so wish me luck.
Dave Grieve
I know of a cheaper way than that Tommi, a friend of mine here back in the 70's would only drive Opel Kapitans and one night having a couple in our local he told us why.
When the current model became to expensive to fix he would go looking for one the exact same model and colour, take the plates off the old car, fit them on the new one and carry on driving as if it was the original vehicle, he said he couldn't be bothered taking time of work to go to the roadworthy, in those day the traffic cops were only interested in hiding behind bushes with a radar gun and the chances of you being stopped and everything checked were none existent.
If memory serves he had three of them before they became too scarce tongue.gif

Meant to say he came from Paisley a Glasgow boy would never do anything so devious biggrin.gif
TeeHeeHee
laugh.gif laugh.gif
angel
[ :)quote name='Heather' date='12th Oct 2014, 12:19pm' post='3684822']
Wow Angel, congratulations on the expected twins. Very clever of you. laugh.gif

[/quote]

G.Q. and Heather , if I may . Today I was talking with my D.I.L , who will be the grandmother
of my G.grandchildren , Ha Ha ... and now I have become full of nostalgia ! , thinking of the time I saw my first grandchild ,who will now be this coming spring the mother of twins.

I saw my first grandchild when she was about 3month's old , she was born in Germany
and I thought at that time , there never was a more beautiful grandchild than she .
and so happy that "my husband ,her grandfather and I " had made the trip to see the baby and her parents " her dad being our son .
Also during that time we , all of us , travelled to Scotland to
let both sides of our families see this wonderful creation " our first grandchild" ha ha .

I know that it is just a moment in time but to me it is such a wonderful memory .
Cheers yes.gif

RonD
I am shifting a massive rock garden in the yard. It´s been there for 50 years but I decided its time it went. the original gentleman in this house had it as showpiece but it is a lot of work. I cleaned it out in 1999 and had it beautiful again but the next year it was rainy and the mosquitoes were vicious and it grew up with weeds again and I didn´t have the energy to redo it again. so slowly I am leveling wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow load. I´m feeling muscles that I forgotten I had.
Betsy2009
Mind your back, RonD
Heather
I know the feeling Ron about heavy work. I had that problem digging out all those overgrown plants.

I could not get the Compost yesterday as Morrisons were out of it, so it means a trip to B&Q.

Tonight we are off to our Parish Hall for a concert from the Hamilton Operatic & Drama Club.
They are doing ' Songs From The Shows'. We are looking forward to it, especially with it being local and no distance to travel.

norrie123
Hi RonD, I wont let my wife see your post, we have a rockery but the stones in it are too large for a barrow and I am not going to attempt to lift them
I plant flowers that grow and spread themselves , it just need a tidy up at the end of the growing season

Bye for now, norrie
ashfield
You're a brave man Ron, I couldn't do that in our garden..........we do have a small rockery but we don't have a wheelbarrow biggrin.gif
RonD
The rocks are just field stones and not too big to handle and the timing is right as my neighbour wants them to build some decorative piles as a fence. I have been finding some that are relatively flat and help boost up my own ¨stane dyke¨ This stone wall ahs been knocked down a few times by cars and it wasn´t put back the way I had built it but with the extra props its looking good. A recent development has come up in that I am secretary for our community association and was in charge of getting some gravel for our private roads. The excavator will becoming back in the Spring to clean out our ditches, so I may just incorporate the removal of the garden then. Also the fill is needed to smooth the median on one of the roads, so it is a win win situation funny how things come together.
jakka13
On Oct 18th I lost the love of my life . angry.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 20th Oct 2014, 06:56am) *

I am really really sorry to hear this Jakka I know it comes to all of us at some time but when it does it can hurt so so much, hopefully you have family and friends that can comfort you and help to fill the waking hours.
norrie123
Sorry for your loss, I have no idea how your feeling as I have not had to go through that experience, I keep hoping that I go first, no fun getting old
Norrie
Gallusbisom
Our hearts are with you. Like Norrie I would prefer to be first. We are all here for you, just let us know what we can do.
Melody
So sorry to read such sad news Jakka, I'm so sorry. My deepest sympathy to you at this time.
Elma
What a shock Jakka. I am so sorry to hear your news, I know how lonely and bereft you can feel, even in the midst of family and friends. Know that we are thinking of you and I will be in touch very soon, I presume you are back in your winter home.
Heather
Jakka, sorry to hear about your loss. My sympathy to your and your family.
Take care.
angel

Hi jean , I am so sorry to hear of your husbands' death .
my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family .

wellfield
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 19th Oct 2014, 09:56pm) *
So sad to hear of your loss......my condolences to you my Glasgow Boards friend.
RonD
Jean, so very sorry to hear of your loss. I can´t imagine how it is to feel the loss of someone who has been in and a part of your life for so many years. My sincere condolences.
TeeHeeHee
My sincere condolences Jakka. The one part of life that I have great difficulty in contemplating. I hope you find the required strength among your family and close friends.
ashfield
Jakka, so sorry to hear of your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
CAT
Prayers and sincere thoughts are with you Jakka.
Dave Grieve
Decided not going to wash the car again, last week there was a sandstorm in Joburg so Sunday I took the car for a wash, last night we had the first real thunderstorm of the summer rains and now this morning the car is covered in red dust brought down by the rain wink.gif

last weeks sandstorm

Click to view attachment
TeeHeeHee
Dave, I'm sat here deciding ... or trying to ... whether or not I should go to work today. Wednesday is the Ruhetag for the Hotel and the one day where I can really get tore in to all the big Jobs but looking out of the window here is Kind of putting me off ... all cold and wet after last night's storm.
I had to bring my Scottish flag in from the balcony as I thought it might get ripped to shreds and Mary was afraid the pole would come through the window. I, reluctantly, eventually went out only after one of our bigger Oleander plant pots was blown onto it's side but only after I went for a jacket, cap and shoes. When I was finished Mary reminded me of another time when a storm threw my plants off the balcony one year and I rushed out bare footed and in my Boxers to bring them back and, with the rain lashing off me, splinted the damaged plants with small canes, string and tape before putting them in a Corner of the balcony and surrounding them with the plastic stools and table.
Och Mary, my wee plants were female and needed looking after. tongue.gif wink.gif
angel
I have been watching the breaking news from Ottawa . Parliament
of Canada buldings;
A soldier has been shot through the chest at the war memorial
but No results yet as to his condition from the hospital
the shooter did get into the parliament building and many shots have been fired , there is a report that he has been aprehended but it's not
been verified as yet . two days ago another home grown terrorist
mowed down a group of shoulders in a parking lot , one was killed and another injured . the terrorist was then chased in his auto by the police and shot dead .
wellfield
Just goes to show!.....a country as liberal as Canada is experiencing this!!....Why do the people who perform such deeds leave their own miserable homes in third world countries to come to the western world countries with established religions and ways of life,end up doing this!!......As much as I was against "Bush and his his phony war" that helped start the fire that fueled the whole thing in the first place...As an ex-soldier,I'm all for using total force on these "primal" human beings.... these people and their religion (hate that word) are a creeping cancer on life as we know it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.