Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
jakka13
Well for over a week I have been trying to repel a Chip monk who has made it's way into my utility room .So far every effort has failed .I finally set a live trap tonight which lets me catch and release .I really don't want to hurt the wee soul .
Wish me luck ,ha ha .This wee bugger seems to be smarter than me laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 11th Sep 2014, 03:27am) *
Well for over a week I have been trying to repel a Chip monk who has made it's way into my utility room .So far every effort has failed .I finally set a live trap tonight which lets me catch and release .I really don't want to hurt the wee soul .
Wish me luck ,ha ha .This wee bugger seems to be smarter than me laugh.gif

hi Jakka, Story in the local newspaper this week about a family that called in the rat catchers because they suspected rats in their roof, when the rat catcher inspected the evidence he suspected something else so did what you are doing and set up a live trap instead of setting poison, result one surprised Mongoose, it was taken quite far away before being released as they are territorial and would have probably have returned to the house otherwise.
Nice ending.
ashfield
Huh, all I'm getting right now is the annual influx of big spiders ohmy.gif .

I try to catch and evict them, in my neighbours garden of course laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Sep 2014, 09:22am) *
Huh, all I'm getting right now is the annual influx of big spiders ohmy.gif .

I try to catch and evict them, in my neighbours garden of course laugh.gif

Dont know what you mean by 'big' ashfield but here we have a spider we call the Rain spider that only appears in the rainy season, at the size of the palm of my hand I dont try to catch it and throw it next door. ohmy.gif
Betsy2009
Well that sent a shiver down my spine!
Aaaaargh!
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 11th Sep 2014, 10:25am) *
Well that sent a shiver down my spine!
Aaaaargh!

Click to view attachment
There you go Betsy, just for you believe it or not their really harmless and only come in at night looking for other creepy crawlies that have been attracted by the light. thumbup.gif
ashfield
I tried to get a photo of ours but they keep running away, mibbe they are just shy tongue.gif

It's the large garden variety we get coming in at this time of the year, around 3 to 5cm across. According to the BBC they come in to mate with similar like minded spiders. We don't mind them but they still get eveicted when caught yes.gif
Heather
What a carry on today.
I was cooking stew and forgot all about it as I was busy doing a Crossword. The stew got burned to the pot and was like charcoal. ohmy.gif
I don't know how I never smelled it beginning to burn.
I was going to throw the pot out, but after a lot of hard work I managed to clean it.

The house is still smelling even though I have had a scented candle burning all afternoon. unsure.gif
I did open the back door, but flies were coming in. They must like the smell of burned stew.

I was at the Hairdresser this morning and got my hair cropped, again, as it grows so quick and is very thick. I keep thinking I should let it grow as I had less bother with long hair than I have with short hair.
bilbo.s
Some days are diamonds..............
Heather
And some are days you should just have stayed in bed. sad.gif
CAT
Och Heather nothing worse than the smell of burnt stew. Not only the smell but it just reminds of the dinner that never was.

My hair is like your very thick and grows really fast. I've been growing mine for the last 2 years, only getting it thinned and trimmed now fed up with it as still haven't made up my mind what to do with it. I was only thinking yesterday time for the chop.
Heather
Cat, I could still smell the burned stew this morning.
I had the back door open all morning as it was quite chily and I hoped the cold would keep the flies away.

I did all the usual Friday house cleaning today. Now I am on here waiting for the 2nd part of Corrie, then I will do some knitting whilst watching TV.
Dave Grieve
Och Heather I do that all the time I call it cooking biggrin.gif my wife reckons I do it on purpose to escape my turn laugh.gif
Heather
Aye typical man. laugh.gif

The sun is splitting the heavens today and it is very warm outside.
Sure the weather all week has been really good. Long may it continue.

Heather
It's a bit chilly here today and was raining early this morning.

The Newspapers today are showing a picture of that cowardly hood covered man who beheaded those three men, the latest being a Scottish man.

I can't read about it anymore as I find it very upsetting.

It must be really dreadful for the families of those men and I feel heart sorry for them
CAT
Heather I whole heartedly agree with you, makes you sick to the pit of your stomach.

Today I'm in a rather good mood don't know why, I just felt it come over me about 10 o'clock, I sure hope it stays. biggrin.gif
Heather
I had a good laugh at a letter that was in the Daily Rocord today.
This is what it said.

Will we still have an Army after the YES vote? Of course we will- the Salvation Army. Mess with Scotland and you will be skelped with a tambourine. laugh.gif
CAT
QUOTE (Heather @ 17th Sep 2014, 08:27pm) *
I had a good laugh at a letter that was in the Daily Rocord today.
This is what it said.

Will we still have an Army after the YES vote? Of course we will- the Salvation Army. Mess with Scotland and you will be skelped with a tambourine. laugh.gif

Nice one Heather laugh.gif laugh.gif
Heather
Not long to go now until the Election is decided.

I was told a while ago that Scottish History was no longer taught in our Schools.
Yesterday when the family were round, the g'children said it is still taught in their School.
It was nice to know.

Dave Grieve
QUOTE (Heather @ 18th Sep 2014, 09:58pm) *

I was told a while ago that Scottish History was no longer taught in our Schools.
Yesterday when the family were round, the g'children said it is still taught in their School.
It was nice to know.

Just as well Heather, cos thats all Scotland is now, 55 percent of the voters consigned it into history
bilbo.s
Dave, At least we have two consolations - we had nothing to do with the vote, and we are well out of it. sad.gif
ashfield
Sadly I think you are both correct. I foresee it being difficult to convince anyone in the world we are now anything more than a region. Not that I would wish harm to anyone, I do hope none our citizens choke when singing "Flower of Scotland" at Murrayfield when the Rugby Internationals are on.
Dave Grieve
I think I am going to try and stay alive, we only release our Crime statistics once a year and they came out yesterday showing 17,000 murders last year, that works out at 46 murders every day and since there are expected to be 17,000 road fatalities this year I have my work cut out for me. wink.gif
Dimairt
QUOTE (Heather @ 18th Sep 2014, 08:58pm) *

It was nice to know.

Hi Heather,
Scottish history and literature were always taught in our schools but it was only recently that they were introduced as compulsory questions in the exams i.e . pupils must answer a question on Scottish history and literature.
Prior to this, many schools didn't include Scottish history or literature in the classrooms because they knew that they wouldn't feature in the exams - exam result are crucial to schools these days with the annual publication of league tables.
As far as I'm aware , we were the only country in the world not to have our own history and literature taught in our schools. It's worth noting too that their introduction to the exam system was opposed by the Labour Party because they saw it as "back-door nationalism."
A country's history and literature don't belong to any one party though.

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS - Delighted to note that schools across the country are working on projects on the Great War. "Lest we forget."
Heather
Eddy, one of my g'daughter's who is due to leave School next year and go on to University, is still making her mind up about being an Accountant or a History Teacher.

It was a bit rainy this morning, but now the sun is shining. smile.gif
RonD
Ash, it is really annoying when media here in North America refer to Queen Elizabeth as the Queen of England.
dugald_old
QUOTE (Heather @ 20th Sep 2014, 02:49pm) *
Eddy, one of my g'daughter's who is due to leave School next year and go on to University, is still making her mind up about being an Accountant or a History Teacher.

Heather, advise your granddaughter to pursue her interest in Accountancy. It's very difficult to find an empty seat in a History lecture theatre... now this must tell you something. Worth noting too, that History teachers in Canada very frequently finish up driving taxis. It may of course be different in Scotland, but not according to what I have heard. There is a surplus of History teachers here. This of course is based on the assumption that the History is not being taken as part of preparation to become a lawyer.
ashfield
I've got a hobby, it's called my house huh.gif Two years ago, the cast iron gutter at the front of my house developed a leak. I dug out the dirt, cleaned off the rust, dried it out and repaired with a two part plastic cement. We had a lot of rain yesterday and my cast iron gutter leaked sad.gif

So the "wonder stuff" turned out to be a waste of money and I spent the day doing the repair all over again (using silicone this time). Some hobby eh laugh.gif
norrie123
Hi ashfield, its a never ending job, still it wasn't raining today

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
We had a terrific hailstorm on Friday night and all the trees were battered by it and my wife's herb garden was almost destroyed

The first photo shows the hail lying outside the back door while the others show the leaves lying all over the place, we don't have gutters so there's no chance of a blockage overflow and luckily it was all small stones so there's no more damage to the car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
norrie123
Hi Dave, and here was me thinking you got good weather in SA
No damage , that's good, pity about the Herbs but they can be replaced easily

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
You would be surprised Norrie at the rain we get here, that is when its not a drought year, our street drains are not the kind you know in Glasgow with the stank type cover on them but are a 'slot type at the side of the pavement about four or five inches high and perhaps over a yard long so that the torrential rain can drain away as quickly as possible, it still dosen't help at times and often you will see cars with a bow wave plowing through the rain water.

Rain good, Hailstones bad yes.gif
Heather
It's a long time since I saw a bad fall of hailstones.

Another dry day here and I can't believe the nice weather we have been getting, especially for this time of year.
RonD
The weather was very good last week when we were there. I told my wife we didn´t see a drop for 11 days ...of rain that is!
norrie123
Dave, you don't get the rain that we get, miserable, constant, drizzly??

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 23rd Sep 2014, 01:01am) *
Dave, you don't get the rain that we get, miserable, constant, drizzly??

Bye for now, norrie

Touche laugh.gif
norrie123
Hi dave, that didn't come across the way I meant it, I should have asked is your rain always heavy, hence the big grills?

Bye for now, norrie
ashfield
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 23rd Sep 2014, 09:41am) *
Hi dave, that didn't come across the way I meant it, I should have asked is your rain always heavy, hence the big grills?

Bye for now, norrie

Norrie, if my weekend papers are to believed, big grills are causing problems in South Africa, but not the kind you're thinking of. They were suggesting that the next potential crisis there is obesity, caused by the popularity of "fast foods" like burgers and pizza. I'm sure Dave will fill us in.
Betsy2009
I wonder if those big grills are like the American ones where there is always something nasty down there just waiting to drag you into their dark world.

Must stop watching horror films.
Must stop watching horror films.
Dave Grieve
Sorry Norrie I never took notice of the question marks, we have torrential rain here during the rainy season that's starting now and will last until perhaps April, May when it stops raining for five or six months but when it comes down it comes down with perhaps four to six inches in one day.
This is what a typical storm water drain looks like minus the 'pets'
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (ashfield @ 23rd Sep 2014, 11:06am) *
Norrie, if my weekend papers are to believed, big grills are causing problems in South Africa, but not the kind you're thinking of. They were suggesting that the next potential crisis there is obesity, caused by the popularity of "fast foods" like burgers and pizza. I'm sure Dave will fill us in.

As long as I don't fill you 'up' biggrin.gif

your local papers have only half the story I think as there are two kinds of obesity here the one your papers talking about is probably the 'white' problem were we don't really exercise enough and everybody travels by car even a short distance mainly for security reasons. there are also too many restaurants and fast food places available with I would think within five minutes drive of where I live at least thirty to forty outlets and that's a guess there could be more.
The other obesity problem is the 'black' problem were its in their culture to be respected for being fat in fact the fatter you are the better as its a sign of prosperity among black people.
Now before the usual suspects jump on top of my head, do a little investigating and you will find that I am not telling any pork pies laugh.gif
Next time you see a photo of our President and his many wives, have a good look, he dosen't go for the slim woman whatsoever.
ashfield
Dave, the issue was raised in relation to the Black population and, as you say, it was described by some as an attribute. The concern raised was about the cost of longer term health issues for SA. The article had some photos attached and a few were gross. They also said there was an active campaign to introduce exercise and diet plans to those affected.
Dave Grieve
Political talk, probably to pretend to WHO that they are doing something, nothing will ever be done its the culture of the people and they will not change, the only hope they have for change is the young black woman who to try and keep up with fashion do seem to be making an effort to exercise and slim down, however they are the city dwellers the rural folk are steeped in tradition and wont change.

This was taken at a wedding last week with our El Presidente in the middle with the leopard skin on
Click to view attachment

The happy couple in traditional garb
Click to view attachment

The happy couple in civvies
Click to view attachment

The role models that the majority of black people aspire to be like.
Heather
Today I went to the B&Q and bought a lot of spring bulbs so now I have to get out into the garden and dig up all the overgrown plants and split them up and re-plant them, then I can plant the new bulbs

Last year I dug up the spring bulbs that were in the garden and they are somewhere in the shed, when I find them I will plant them in the back garden.

Tonight is UCM night, so I am having a quiet afternoon.
norrie123
Hi Dave, what type of animals are the pets?
Bye for now, Norrie
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 23rd Sep 2014, 03:18pm) *
Hi Dave, what type of animals are the pets?
Bye for now, Norrie

Norrie I am guessing, the photo was taken in Natal although the drains here in Joburg are the same and to me they look like Cane Rats, a cane rat is not the same as the Norwegian Rat despite the name but are herbivore and live predominantly in the Sugar Cane fields in Natal, they are considered a delicacy and some of the restaurants down there have them on the menu.
I have been told they can grow to the same size as a small dog, its one of the reasons Pythons like to live in the cane fields also.
Heather
I was at the Doctor's today for my annual check up. Apparently I am still alive and in good health. laugh.gif

Right now I have been relegated to the dining room as my husband is watching the Celtic Match.
Celtic have just won 3-0. thumbup.gif
norrie123
Hi Dave, I don't think I could eat anything called a rat biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 24th Sep 2014, 10:23pm) *
Hi Dave, I don't think I could eat anything called a rat biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie

That makes two of us, but a local labourer in one of the companies I worked for here used to catch and eat them, even after he was violently sick one time with food poisoning it never stopped him
Dave Grieve
The proper name for cane rats 'Thryonomys', so if you see roast, grilled or fried Thryonomys on the menu you know what you are getting laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.