Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
Another nice day here today although not as hot as yesterday which was 26 degrees.

I got a laugh reading the newspaper today about a wee 6years old boy who is a Celtic fan and was upset because Neill Lennon left Celtic. But the wee boy recovered enough to write to Celtic saying he would be perfect for the role vacated by Neil Lennon.
The Celtic supremo wrote Peter Lawwell wrote back saying maybe one day he will be the Manager and sent him a Celtic top.

I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disbelieve.
I read that a man in Mossend Lanarkshire had a Council Official at his door to tell him to take the down wind chime's outside his house because they are too noisy and they received a complaint about them.
They are small and only cost 2-99. I know they make very little noise as I had the same kind until they got blown away.
Other neighbours are talking about getting the same one as a protest, as they have made complaints about anti-social behaviour from local louts yet nothing has been done about them.
Jupiter
Watching England.
clap.gif clap.gif biggrin.gif
norrie123
Hi Jupiter, cant see where England will get a goal, never mind a victory

Bye for now, norrie
norrie123
Hi Jupiter well well well,, good goal from Rooney

Bye for now, norrie
Jupiter
Just did Norrie, Rooney.
TeeHeeHee
Today's list of things to do:

1) Fetch 2 Long tables and 4 seats from the local drnks/beer supplier to add to the one I've got.
2) lay TV Aerial cable out to back garden ready for tomorrow's match with Ghana so my guests don't have an excuse to leave early biggrin.gif .
3) Mow already dried out lawn.
4) Switch on outside fridge.
5) Fill same with booze.
6) Buy enough meat for 20 People ... the 4 vegans are bringing their own BBQ requirements
7) Leave the rest of the party-preparations to Mary and her mates laugh.gif

Roll on the Longest Day clap.gif
gardenqueen
Been to doctor about joint pain, as expected, osteoathritis. Got some medication to take but will start it tomorrow as I am out for a meal with my friend this evening and don't want to risk it with wine.

Got my grandson today and we have been playing boules in the garden but have come indoors as neighbour are having an extension done and it is really noisy - it seems that every summer someone round here has something built, so annoying. I think I might have something done soon to get my own back. lol.

So, lunch soon then will have to think about tea for both my grandsons at 4.30 then I can think about getting ready to go out. A quiet weekend planned apart from going out for dinner again tomorrow then going to see a showing of the original Wicker Man in the old town. Summer solstice tomorrow and I like being out on the longest day of the year. Oh yes, and my son will bring my granddaughter round on Sunday to help plan our trip to Budapest trip. It will be strange going somewhere where I speak not one word of the language.
Heather
Today after doing the housework I have been getting ready for my day out to Dunoon tomorrow with the UCM.

I hope the weather stays nice and when I am on the Ferry I have to remember it's Dunoon I'm sailing to and not Ireland.
I could even close my eyes and imagine I am sailing up the Grand Canal in Venice. I wish. smile.gif
angel
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 20th Jun 2014, 10:38am) *

1) Fetch 2 Long tables and 4 seats from the local drnks/beer supplier to add to the one I've got.
2) lay TV Aerial cable out to back garden ready for tomorrow's match with Ghana so my guests don't have an excuse to leave early biggrin.gif .
5) Fill same with booze.
6) Buy enough meat for 20 People ... the 4 vegans are bringing their own BBQ requirements

Tee , I just know that you are a very good Multitasker .
Have a great weekend . lol
angel
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 20th Jun 2014, 10:38am) *

5) Fill same with booze.

Happy Birthday Tee . LOL
TeeHeeHee
Thanks Angel: 7 down 4 to go (decades that is) laugh.gif laugh.gif
mlconnelly
Off to see Eric Clapton tonight. I know some of you have been caught out by parking restrictions, any advice on disabled parking in the general area?
mlconnelly
My sister took me to see Eric Clapton tonight and I was really looking forward it. He very casually walked onto the stage, picked up his guitar and started playing, brilliant. Everyone was really enjoying themselves, singing and clapping along. Then 1 hour and 15 minutes later he walked off stage, taking the whole band with him. Came back on for 1 more song then walked off again with no explanation or apology. Expected better than this especially given the cost of the tickets. Mary angry.gif
gardenqueen
Not exactly value for money then, Mary. You would expect at least two hours of performance for your money. Mind you, he is getting on a bit, maybe not up to it any more. I do sometimes wonder if some of these people should hang their boots up but I suppose they want to carry on raking in the cash, like they need it!

We had a very different evening when we went to the Town Hall Arts Centre in The Old Town which is very atmospheric with its Norman church and some quaint shops. The area is used a lot for filming.

Anyway, we went to see The Wicker Man from way back in '74 I think. It is a shame but there were only 7 people there. It only cost 3 each.

I was prepared to be scared but I wasn't as I think our tolerance levels of horror etc. have developed over the years. I did enjoy it but don't think I would want to see it again.

We were going to go for a drink but came home instead and sat out watching the sun go down on the longest day of the year.

That's it now, half way through the year nearly. There will soon be Christmas stuff in the shops.
angel

Another beautiful day here , so we are going to take advantage of that
and spend the day by lake Erie and enjoy a nice walk-a-bout ,
then go out for dinner . biggrin.gif .
gardenqueen
Another lovely, sunny day here in Herts. I keep having to move to different parts of the garden where I have seating, to avoid getting sunburn. Not complaining though.
Heather
We had a nice day out at Dunoon on Saturday and the weather was nice and sunny. smile.gif

I saw notice's advertising Crazy Golf, Putting and so forth, but no one in the group was interested they were all too busy browsing the shops.

Although I enjoyed Dunoon, it is not a place I would go back to, especially as it took over two hours to get there.
angel

It's worth another read .
--------------------------

A POEM THAT MANY MAY RELATE TO:

I remember the cheese of my childhood,

And the bread that we cut with a knife,

When the children helped with the housework

And the men went to work not the wife.

The cheese never needed a fridge

And the bread was so crusty and hot,

The children were seldom unhappy

And the wife was content with her lot.

I remember the milk from the bottle,

With the yummy cream on the top,

Our dinner came hot from the oven,

And not from the fridge; in the shop.

The kids were a lot more contented,

They didn't need money for kicks,

Just a game with their mates in the road,

And sometimes the Saturday flicks.

I remember the shop on the corner,

Where a pen'orth of sweets was sold

Do you think I'm a bit too nostalgic?

Or is it....I'm just getting old?

I remember the 'loo' was the lav,

And the bogy man came in the night,

It wasn't the least bit funny

Going "out back" with no light.

The interesting items we perused,

From the newspapers cut into squares,

And hung on a peg in the loo,

It took little to keep us amused.

The clothes were boiled in the copper,

With plenty of rich foamy suds

But the ironing seemed never ending

As Mum pressed everyone's 'duds'.

I remember the slap on my backside,

And the taste of soap if I swore

Anorexia and diets weren't heard of

And we hadn't much choice what we wore.

Do you think that bruised our ego?

Or our initiative was destroyed?

We ate what was put on the table

And I think life was better enjoyed.
Heather
Aye Angel, there is a lot of truth in that poem.
Mind you, I never swore so I did not get my mouth washed out with soap. laugh.gif

I've had a lazy day, although I did put a washing on and hung it on the pulley.

Another nice dry day, and I think summer has arrived. smile.gif
jakka13
Hi Angel ,a wee laugh about mouths washed with soap .Having read your very true poem it brought to mind a wee story about my son as a wean (now in his mid fifties ).He had been to my Parents for lunch and they had given him a knife and fork .Later as we sat down to our evening meal I gave him a spoon .He was quite upset and declared loudly that he wanted a -----forkinknife ,.Well his Dad lifted him out of his chair took down his pants and smacked his bum.All this happened so fast that I couldn't explain that he was asking for a knife and fork laugh.gif
angel

Poor wee soul Jean , did the wean eat his dinner , biggrin.gif
Elma
I'm celebrating the birth of my first great grandson who was born yesterday. He weighed just on 8 lbs. and is called Logan. Can't wait to see him but as he is in Maple Ridge about 12 hours away I'll have to wait until August when we are down there.
angel

Congratulations Elma to mother and baby Logan ,
he was a very nice weight , I'm sure you
that you will be looking forward to August .
Now , More pressie's to buy . biggrin.gif
wellfield
Congrats to all Elma!......Love grandkids!....we're taking our6 year old to the pier just down the street ......thery're having a Pirate's thing going on..3 Pirate ships at the end of the pier!!
jakka13
Congratulations Elma on your first g-great grandson .We just celebrated our fifth early May .Yours is Logan and ours is Megan .
Heather
Congratulations Elma on your 1st g'grandson. smile.gif

Quite chilly here this weekend. Summer has gone away. sad.gif
gardenqueen
Spent the day getting over the family bbq we had here yesterday. Even though I wasn't actually cooking and got all the salads etc. from Costco (bless that place), I was running around after everyone and playing with the children to let their parents have a break. It had been pouring but we managed to sit outside to eat and for most of the evening. I bought some garden games like boules, quoits, footballs etc. which the children enjoyed. It was a late one and I didn't get much sleep before the children were up and about this morning but have managed to have a quiet day today so all is well.

I keep thinking about selling the gas bbq as we hardly use it but my husband says to hang onto it even if we only use it once a year.

ashfield
Congratulations Elma smile.gif

The condemned man ate a hearty breakfast........well, orange juice and cereal actually rolleyes.gif . This morning I'm off to the dentist to have a large molar extracted ohmy.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Elma @ 28th Jun 2014, 07:01pm) *
I'm celebrating the birth of my first great grandson who was born yesterday. He weighed just on 8 lbs. and is called Logan. Can't wait to see him but as he is in Maple Ridge about 12 hours away I'll have to wait until August when we are down there.

Congratulations, Elma, it is a great feeling. So sorry you will have to wait till August to see him though. When you do it will be magical. I had to wait a while to see my first grandchild as I lived down in Surrey then and I was pretty ill for a while round the time when she was born. I had to wait a few weeks till I felt it was safe to meet her, for her sake. I cried when I did get to hold her for the first time. We moved a couple of years later to be nearer them. She is now five and a half and I can't believe how time has passed. Her mum is now ten weeks pregnant having miscarried a couple of times in the last year, so we are all excited. The baby is due on Rabbie Burns day which is also my son's birthday!

Turns out, as well, that my daughter and her husband have decided to try for another baby too (they have an almost 3 year old son and a 5 year old son), so we will be kept busy for a while yet. Bring it on!!

ashfield
Ohya, ohya, ohya censored.png
Elma
What an exciting time for you Gardenqueen, I hope all goes well for these new babies and, of course, their mothers!

Thanks for all the good wishes, I have seen pictures of Logan on facebook already!
Java
Congratulations Elma wub.gif

Ah keep droppin' hints but none of mine are takin' me on attaw... huh.gif
Heather
A lovely day here today.

I went into Town this morning and it was really busy with the Schools and University's being out for the Summer Holiday's.

I bought buttons for some baby items I knitted and could not believe the price of some of them.
It worked out at 40pence each for a wee button. ohmy.gif
angel

well heather I have some shopping to do myself , although
it isn't buttons anymore , I'll leave that productive pastime up to you .
I am now looking for a new fridge , the one I have is OK ,
but I want one with more space, so I will check and see what is
in the stores tomorrow , we have had good weather but stifling hot .
so I am indoors with the airconditioning .
Grandson coming for dinner today , we are having fish so I'm looking forward to that . He has been on vacation these past two weeks in Las Vegas so he will have a lot to say . Cheers . biggrin.gif
gardenqueen
I find all craft things expensive these days, Heather. Ebay can be quite good but you don't get to see what you're buying. Even big shops like John Lewis don't carry the range they used to so I often have to go into local craft shops for things like buttons and it can certainly add to the cost of making something. Wool, felt, thread, fabric.......not to mention patterns, they are a luxury these days, not exactly encouraging people to make their own things.

Charity shops can be quite good for finding materials but only if you don't mind them being second hand.

I keep all my buttons from worn out garments and have a button tin - real proof, if ever it was needed, that I really am an oldie.
toerag
Congratulations Elma on your new great grandson, enjoy your visit with him in august!

Gardenquee keep those buttons, you never know when they will be needed.....my grand daughter, Hannah, had a special day at school recently, it was the 100th day of school for the year and they all had to bring in to class 100 of something, she was the only one that brought in 100 buttons!!!!
mlconnelly
Heather have you tried he wee shop at the corner of Ross St and London Rd for your buttons? I was in there a few months ago for some waterproof material and found it to be very reasonably priced. I think its called either Fabric Bazaar or Dance Bazaar and I think they also have a shop on Gallowgate too. Mary
Heather
GQ, I also have a button tin, but there were no buttons to match the baby garments I knitted.

The tin I use is the tin of sweets we got at School to mark the Queen' Coronation. 2/6/1953

Mary I have never heard of that shop or Ross Street. But the shop in the Gallowgate would be easier for me to get to. I will watch out for it the next time I get the bus in to town.

By the way Mary, have you bleach washed your dad's patio this year? wink.gif
wellfield
Getting ready for the 4th of July celebrations!...an all out show here for sure!!.....Every year the "Queen Mary" puts on a show stopping fireworks display!,,,probably the best in the country!....will watch it after we barbecue!......
gardenqueen
I didn't start school until 1956 so didn't get a tin but I am sure my sisters did and I can still visualise them being green in colour with gold design/pictures. I wonder what happened to ours.

I was given a Cath Kidston button tin which is very pretty. I wouldn't have bought one myself but my daughter treats me as she knows I like Cath Kidston designs.

Been so hot here today, I am already in bed, pretty tired out from minding my youngest grandson at his house. They have one of those inflatable Little Tikes swimming pool things with a slide that you have to climb up into. My heart was in my mouth every time he scaled the heights, lol.

He will be here for the day tomorrow so I will need a good night's sleep to get my energy back now.
mlconnelly
Not yet Heather, I've not had much time as Mums not been very well but I will get it done. Mary
gardenqueen
Oh dear, I have one poorly almost three year old here for the day. He was so full of beans yesterday too. That's kids for you, I suppose. He is just sitting on the sofa, hardly able to stay awake and not interested in all the toys I had set out for him.

I am sure he will be fine again tomorrow.

Still pretty hot here today so I think we will stay indoors, in the shade.
Dylan
Children are so resilient GQ.

I know we worry at the time but I bet that by tomorrow he will be bouncing about like a Jack-In-The_Box.

Chin up.
gardenqueen
You are right, Dylan. He lay on my bed, upstairs, watching a dvd of children's songs, just lying there, all quiet, till the song "My Bonnie lies over the Ocean" came on and he joined in singing, "Bring, back, bring back" a couple of times. I didn't even know he knew that song. Anyway, next thing, he is fast asleep and I just let him sleep for an hour or so, wakened him up and let him lie there till tea time when his mum and brother came to collect him. He was almost like a different child, ate his tea and went off home, nearly right as rain. Bless him.

They are, as you say, very resilient, thankfully.
Dylan
Told yi. biggrin.gif
Heather
I was out in the garden doing some weeding, taking out dead plants and moving plants about that are still growing, then the rain came pouring down on me. ohmy.gif
It's has stopped now and the sun is trying to shine, but I am having a wee rest while I consider if it is worth going back out. But I still have the garden tools to put away as I left them on the porch when I ran in from the rain.
Elma
Think I'll stay inside today, temps are going up to 33-34C so it will be cooler there. Tomatos are coming along nicely after a slow start, looking forward to picking and eating tongue.gif
angel

No tomatoes for me this year
just planting flowers in the containers .
gardenqueen
Been into town to have my hair done, quite pleased with it for a change. It was a sunny morning but became duller as the day went on. We had rain a few minutes ago but the sun is shining again. So changeable.

Waiting for a taxi now to take us to my sister in law's house for dinner. Short notice but very welcome as I am not in the mood to cook this evening.
Heather
I have had a lazy day today. Except for the usual quick tidy about the place I have done nothing else. Well I did make the dinner. laugh.gif

I spent age's trying to download some songs from ITunes on to my IPod, but no luck. I will have to get my g'son to show me how to do it.
I have done it before so I don't know what the problem is this time.
ITunes was quick enough to accept my money, so I want my money's worth. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.