Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
Well that's my washing machine fixed again.
It was the pump that was broken with coins that were left in trouser pockets.
I of course blamed my husband, but he told the engineer that it could not be his money as I go through his pockets. ohmy.gif

Pure cheek.
norrie123
Hi Heather, no luck
Claire washed my denims yeasterday, did you check the pocket I asked there were coins in the pockets, alas Claire didn't check the pockets but luckily all was well, coins were still in the pocket money laundering biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
angel

today . my grandson usually comes for dinner
but as he has other plans for the mother's day
weekend , he has asked me out for dinner tonight ,
so no cooking for me this day
but I would bet that our meal will be fish n chips . biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

norrie123
Hi Angel ,my favourite meal, a Special Fish Supper
Enjoy your meal

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, If us wives are expected to check our husbands trouser pockets before putting them in the washing machine, then I think it only fair we keep any money we find in the pockets. tongue.gif laugh.gif

Enjoy your night out Angel.
norrie123
Hi Heather, two chances, slim and none biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, the next time I see Claire, I will tell her about you and your threats then you will get grounded. laugh.gif
angel
Heather and Norrie
when i was doing my family's washing '
I checked all their pockets which meant no returns ,
so they soon learned to checked their own and now ,
these days , I check my pockets before washing
and I sometimes get the nicest surprises biggrin.gif

I had to go to the Post Office this morning to pick up some mail,
I decided to walk and left the car in the driveway .
It had been raining quite a bit through the night but as it seemed
to have cleared , so on I walked.
The temp. was just about 49'C. so I thought , nice for walking ,
anyway it turned out to be extremely humid , so on my return
I kept thinking will ever make it , the air was so oppressive ,
a walk that would take me there and back , maybe about 25mins .
actually took me nearly 1hr. I was so glad to get home .
Anyway , I have decided that the problem is this aging business and
of course , I aint so fit anymore , I have to get back to swimming biggrin.gif

Steady as she goes , Cheers , Pat
ps , the fish and chip supper was delicious , yes.gif
norrie123
Hi angel, keep walking, one bit at a time, it gets easer
Glad you enjoyed your fish tea

Heather, well I will need to make sure you and Claire never meet biggrin.gif
Funny thing I got my money back without asking biggrin.gif
angel

well norrie , I had to take my car to the mechanic this morning
so as he could put a new part on it , something to do with the fuel system , and I walked back home , I will be walking again to get
my car as it is now fixed , but not before I walk to the bank to get the money to pay the man , biggrin.gif

Heather it has been a lovely day here , Temp. got to 28'C
but it is now clouding over and looks like rain , anyway
it is still warm , cheers Pat .
Heather
Angel, it was raining this morning, but now the sun is beaming down.

Were are off out tonight to a Dinner Dance at Celtic Park with my niece and her husband.
A Celtic Supporters Bus will pick us up just around the corner from our house and bring us home again. smile.gif
angel

Heather I do hope that you have a great time ,
you mind and behave yourself coming home
on that bus , you don't want to walk , I'm sure laugh.gif

a number of years ago my husband and I had dinner
in the restaurant at Celtic Park ,
spent a fortune buying in the store , and one of the attendant's took
our grandson to see the park , because he was visiting from Canada
it was a very nice time . smile.gif Pat.
norrie123
Hi Heather enjoy your night, will Jessie be envious? biggrin.gif

Hi Angel, cars are great pity they need money spent on them from time to time
mines will be taken away a week on Monday for a wee bit of work, nothing major but is better to get it done

Bye for now, norrie
ashfield
My car will have to be towed to the "doctors" sad.gif

We went to the "Cirque du Solail" at the Hydro yesterday, made a night of it with a meal in town. The show was fantastic, might have a night out again in a couple of years laugh.gif
RonD
I'm late this year, the minivan is getting the snow tires removed and summer tires put on Wednesday.
Heather
Angel, no chance of me walking home, not after two glasses of wine.

Norrie, the first time Tommy was here we took him and Jessie to a meal at Parkhead and a Tour of the Stadium.

It was a good night organised by my niece and her husband who also had their two sons with their girlfriends and another niece and cousin and some of their friends. All in there were 20 of us with 10 to a table, and we all enjoyed the meal.
The Hall was packed to the doors.

There were five Celtic legends there and the only names I remember were, Bertie Auld, George McCluskey and Joe Miller.
Bertie had to leave early as he had another Function to go to, but the others went round the table's chatting, posing for photo's and giving autographs.
The Eurpoean cup was on display for anyone who wanted a photo taken with it.

The night was due to finish at 12-30 but we and a niece left about 11'0'clock and waited over half an hour for a taxi home.
Heather
Norrie, here is a picture of Jessie' g'son that will cheer you up. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
norrie123
Hi Heather, Jessie sent me that shot, why am I not cheerful biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, sure your always cheerful, but I just thought it would make you really happy seeing that nice green & white strip. wink.gif

I having a wee rest as I have cut the front lawn, strimmed the edges and even strimmed all the weeds growing up the side of the house and driveway.
Now I have to finish brushing up all the debris as you would think some one had thrown a ton of confetti over the drive, but it is the blossom from the trees that over hang our driveway.

My poor back is aching from all that hard work. It's a true saying, ' Old age does not come alone'. sad.gif
Avril
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 4th May 2014, 11:02am) *
Hi Heather, crikey your right, how could I forget meeting Jessie ,Tommy and a member of glescapals too

Hi Gardenqueen, I knew a few Georges in those days , mind you as far as I know I was the only Norrie McNamee from Milton biggrin.gif now I am curious, I seldom hear of anyone from Milton that I knew.
George Cook?????

Bye for now, norrie

I remember George Cook, he went to Miltonbank Primary, he was a couple of years older than me.
gardenqueen
Sitting here, getting ready for our journey back from Whitstable, in Kent. Have had a really lovely time although the weather has been a bit mixed. The highlight was at the weekend when my daughter, son in law and two little grandsons came to stay. I don't think there is actually any better sight than two little boys with their bucket and spades playing on the beach and discovering all sorts of things, scrambling in and out of boats, walking along walls etc. I really missed them when they left on Sunday evening.

Plenty of things to do and see here for us too, mostly involving eating and drinking but we did go to Canterbury and took a trip to Herne Bay yesterday. Much prefer Whitstable where there are a great selection of independent restaurants and shops. There seems to be a real 50s revival theme going on here which suited my daughter who found a dress shop and spent a week's wages on a dress!!

Yes, London prices here, not least in house prices, but we will definitely be back.

By the way, why does the sun always shine when you are getting ready to come home from a holiday?

Should be an easy journey home, train to Victoria then a greenline bus to our house, almost.
Heather
GQ, that's good you enjoyed your holiday.
As for the sun, it comes and goes and I wonder what kind of summer we are going to get this year.

I'm not long in from cutting the back lawn and doing some weeding.

Tonight I am off to the UCM for a chat, tea and biscuits. smile.gif
norrie123
Hi Gardenqueen , glad you enjoyed your wee break

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
Thanks, Heather and Norrie. It is always good to get back though I am missing the cottage we stayed in. A terraced cottage there costs near enough what a detached house here costs. Mind you, anywhere near the sea is popular, I suppose.

Hope you enjoy your meeting, Heather. I don't think our church has one of those groups. I used to be in the Legion when I was a teenager, both in Lambhill and in Possil. You don't see much of that here either.
angel

Hi GQ , you have brought back some nice memories for me
about whitstable and that area . .My husband and I visited his sister
and her family a couple of times who lived close by to whitstable .
I remember taking lovely walk's along the shoreline into Whitstable
and pushing my baby grand- nephew in his pram biggrin.gif , also Canterbury
and the Cathedral , walking down to the train station from their house
and boarding the Go train into London , and Herne Bay had a terriffic
maket place , where I bought a gorgeous white Candlewick bedspread
also several other items on those visits , also a nice little pub there
where we would have lunch and have a game of darts with my
S.I.L and her husband , they were a wonderful couple . yes.gif
So GQ, thanks for the memories . cheers , Pat .

ps . I started this post earlier today but the hydro men came to the door
and of course I had to deal with that , problems with their hydro cables
on my lot , anyway , I think it has now been resolved after nearly 3
years thumbup.gif

gardenqueen
Glad to have brought back good memories for you, Pat. It is a lovely place and I hope it stays that way as I can see us going back a good few times.

Glad too that you got your hydro problems sorted out.

I have spent my day catching up on chores around the house, took a walk into town just for the exercise then spent a couple of hours planting out a new bed in my garden. The sun was shining but I had my wellies on due to the fact that I know visiting cats have made it their toilet! I am hoping that the plants will put them off trying.

After that I cooked a chicken curry then got down to some relaxing crochet.

The weather here is predicted to be pretty warm at the weekend which will be nice.
Elma
Went into our neighbouring town this afternoon , had a few chores to do there, then bought some plants at good prices (thank you Canadian Tire biggrin.gif ) I didn't get them all put into the pots for my deck yet as I still have to buy some more potting soil, but I think I'm all ready to go when I get it. My daughter brought me two huge pot plants for Mother's Day and I have some geraniums from last year so I have a good start! It has been so nice and warm this week, temps around 25-26C
Heather
I gave our Patio another wash over with bleach to clean it up.

I also did some hoeing as I bought a lot of summer plants to put in the garden, but I will have to take out some spring bulbs as they have spread all over the place.

Tomorrow night we are off to a party to celebrate the 95th birthday of my Aunt, the last of my mum's sibling still alive.
angel

thats a grand age Heather , I hope that all of you have a nice time .
wellfield
Went to a 12th memorial service for Longshoremen (dockers)who have lost their lives on the docks over the years...my younger brother was the name reader and bell toller...met and talked with the bagpiper at the service,he played in the soundtrack of 'Braveheart'...told me of a new T.V. series he is doing the music for "Outlanders' filmed in Scotland.
wee mags
wellfield i was thinking of you and your famiiy with all the wild fires in Californi a
wellfield
QUOTE (wee mags @ 16th May 2014, 12:13pm) *
wellfield i was thinking of you and your famiiy with all the wild fires in Californi a

Thanks Mags,we live by the beach now so we're OK....but it's been in the 100 degree mark all week..I have a brother who lives in that fire zone (San Marcus) but he's allright too.
gardenqueen
Good morning, all. Bright and sunny here in Hertfordshire. I am hoping for a day working in the garden and I am off out to buy some plants.

My daughter and her husband are having their annual F.A. cup bbq in their garden and I was helping in their garden yesterday so I am aching all over from that.

The only potential cloud on the horizon is that the neighbours a few doors along are beginning to build their extension and were practising the pneumatic drilling last night (would you believe?), probably in preparation to treating us to lots of noise this weekend and beyond. He is a self-employed builder so I suppose he needs to do it at the weekends but I would really rather he didn't. It is not so bad for us as we are at home all week to enjoy the garden, but I know one or two of the immediate neighbours were planning bbqs this weekend so it is doubtful they will be able to sit outdoors for long.

Wherever you look at the moment, people are putting up scaffolding/building extensions etc. I think it might be due to the lack of properties to buy on the market. Every day we are getting leaflets put through the door encouraging us to sell our house.

Anyway, off to look at some recipes as I am getting bored with the same old, same old. Mind you, we will probably end up buying what is of special offer in the supermarket.
angel
hi GQ ...I do hope that your weekend is not as noisy as you participate

We have much the same thing here , Real estate agent's tryin to make a buck or two by selling your home . and also folks adding addition's to their house because that is less expensive than buying another . I guess all of this is what makes the world go round .
I am still in the first house that we ever bought , I have never believed in paying mortgages , " forever , " ....I see life as to short for that , and I wanted our own money , to live a life, "which I think we did " plus a few added addition's to the house . ha ha .

Also G.Q I never buy groceries on special offer , unless it is part of what
I would normally buy.
Cheers smile.gif
Jupiter
Had a great evening in Milngavie Town Hall enjoying the show by Rab Noakes and Barbara Dickson.Most entertaining.
angel
QUOTE (angel @ 17th May 2014, 03:58pm) *
hi GQ ...I do hope that your weekend is not as noisy as you participate

We have much the same thing here , Real estate agent's tryin to make a buck or two by selling your home . and also folks adding addition's to their house because that is less expensive than buying another . I guess all of this is what makes the world go round .
I am still in the first house that we ever bought , I have never believed in paying mortgages , " forever , " ....I see life as to short for that , and I wanted our own money , to live a life, "which I think we did " plus a few added addition's to the house . ha ha .

Also G.Q I never buy groceries on special offer , unless it is part of what
I would normally buy.
Cheers smile.gif

hello again GQ . ooops I made a mistake on the first line of my reply to you ,
it should have read .....

I do hope that your weekend in not as noisy as you have anticipated smile.gif

gardenqueen
QUOTE (angel @ 18th May 2014, 05:57am) *
hello again GQ . ooops I made a mistake on the first line of my reply to you ,
it should have read .....

I do hope that your weekend in not as noisy as you have anticipated smile.gif

LOL, I did spot that, Pat but realised what you meant.

I suppose I have moved house quite a few times over my lifetime. From the house I was born in and lived in till I was 19 in Milton, to London, where I stayed in various flats till I met my first husband. We were lucky to be able to buy our first house soon after we got married. We got a "cheap" interest rate from The Greater London Council. It was 9 and a half per cent but it was cheap then, apparently.

From there we moved to Hertfordshire, to a bungalow. Afterwards I bought a house on my own with the children, subsequently met my second husband and we lived there until the children left home. We moved to Surrey with his work and bought a lovely, Edwardian detached house which I loved although I wasn't that happy with the location, especially once my grandchildren came along back in Hertfordshire. I used to travel back to look after the children for two days a week. One day we just decided to pay off the mortgage, take early retirement and move back to Hertfordshire. We were able to buy our present house outright so no debts, a reasonable pension each and a very acceptable lifestyle. We are the lucky ones, I realise. Occasionally I think about moving to the seaside but the reality is that this is where my family are now and, unless they move, the only real reason to move from this house will be to somewhere smaller with a much smaller garden.

Back to the noise level, yesterday was pretty noisy with the workmen who worked from 8am till 6pm. Much of that time I was outdoors working in the garden anyway so not trying to relax. Thinking about it, I suppose it will be built quicker if they work weekends but will have to wait and see on that one. Right now I am wondering if they will work today (Sunday). Yesterday evening the people next door had a bbq and sat out with their friends till quite late but I just went to bed, put the fan on to drown out any noise and I was fine.

Planning to go out now and give the garden a soaking as it was too dry to do any digging yesterday. Apparently it is going to be another lovely day today.
Heather
We had a really good time at the party on Friday night. smile.gif

I danced the legs off myself as did the rest of the females.
Sure it's funny how the men just sit there, lazy lot. Except for one guy, the son of one of my cousins, he was up dancing with us all time and giving us all a laugh with his antics. What made it so funny is he is very tall. I thought he was 7ft, but he said 'not quite'.

I did some weeding in the garden today and realised some plants will have to be split as they are growing all over the place leaving very little space for annuals. I will leave them for the summer as a lot of them are ready to bloom then split them at the end of the season.
So there won't be many annuals going in this year.
angel
hi GQ , when I married we lived in three places in Scotland
but when we came to Canada , it was two . , rented one side
of a duplex and then we bought the house I am in how .

This has been a holiday weekend here , the first of the summer
weekend's but the weather has not been very good .
I was at a family barbecue yesterday , the best day weatherwise
and we had a lovely time , we had hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken
and other dishes that we made and brought with us .

heather glad you had a good time at the celebration
Maybe I will get serious with this yard of mine if we get better weather
and I come out of the doldrums .

Hello Norrie , How is you ? smile.gif
gardenqueen
Sounds like you had a great time, Heather.

I forget what plants I put in each year and sometimes get a pleasant surprise when something pops up, full of colour. Today I went into our local Asda to buy some compost. I took a look at their plants and was amazed to see how badly they had been looked after, they were dry and withered. I managed to find some reasonable petunias and French marigolds but the rest were awful.

Feel that we are getting somewhere with the garden at last. Although my husband doesn't enjoy gardening, he has been really good at doing some of the digging for me leaving me to plant out the new things as I get them.

Pat, glad you enjoyed the bbq. I hope your weather improves. It has been too hot today for my liking. I'm really regretting booking a week in Hungary in July, I just pray that there won't be a heatwave whilst there. I should stop and think more before booking something like that. I am easily talked into stuff though, lol. It would be better to visit Hungary in September or October.

The weather here won't last all week as I think we are due some rain and I won't complain. I just like a nice mix of sunny and rainy days.
angel

GQ , I have just remembered ,

the seeds that you planted in your hot house
How are they doing ..... Pat smile.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (angel @ 19th May 2014, 09:41pm) *
GQ , I have just remembered ,

the seeds that you planted in your hot house
How are they doing ..... Pat smile.gif

My herbs seeds worked out well, Pat. I planted a lot of plug plants (flowers) and they have worked out well, fuschias etc.

No luck with the onions though, I think they need to be planted in the ground but I tried them in pots.

The potatoes look like they will give us a reasonable crop, just waiting for the plants to flower before digging them up.

One of the reasons that I am reluctant to plant veg outdoors is that the people next door have 3 cats. They had four but one got run over. Yesterday the girl told me that they have now lost another one who escaped when they were taking it to a cattery, never to be seen again. Expensive cats too! So now there are only two to worry about which is better for us - but not them, sadly.

My daughter just phoned and wants to meet me in St Albans in an hour or so to buy bits and pieces for my grandson's 5th birthday party this weekend. I can use my bus pass rather than drive and be there in half an hour or so, no parking problems, have a mooch around the shops, have a bit of lunch and back home ready to go to my Women's Club this evening. I have to pay for the Windsor trip we are all taking on 3rd June which should be nice.
norrie123
Hi, Angel I am fine and dandy

Bye for now, norrie
lizeeloo
Hi there....was cleaning out some old files and found this drawing of some of the older GG members..can't remember who the artist was.....thought you might like to see it again.

cheers

Heather
This morning I got 24 Perennial Plants I had ordered and can't plant them in the garden because of all the spreading plants growing all over the place.
The new plants have no names on them, so I do not have a clue which is which. rolleyes.gif

I have old plants in flower pots so I tipped them put and put them in the back garden.
Tomorrow I will have to buy a couple of bags of Compost and put the new plants in the pots until I make space in the front garden.

A few day ago I read in the Newspaper that a Red Cross Team went into a Kidsplay Childcare in Kirkintilloch to teach the children potentially vital skills during a pilot scheme.
The children were all very interested and enjoyed it.
One parent said her son was excited about the First Aid Course and he has been practising first aid at home, teaching his family on the living room floor. laugh.gif

I think it is an excellent idea.
annie laurie
Hi lizeeloo,

Remember this picture i also still have mind,

It was Victoria in Perth WA that did them,

I dont see myself in this one so she must have done a few of them,

Cheers
ox
lizeeloo
QUOTE (annie laurie @ 21st May 2014, 10:37am) *
Hi lizeeloo,

I dont see myself in this one so she must have done a few of them,

Cheers
ox

Oh but I thought that was you under the name Annie next to jakka ????.....
pumps100

Click to view attachment
Lovely day in a warm and sunny Glasgow. Felt very shameful and a wee bit teary when we visited the Necropolis and Cathedral as never visited before. From there to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Glasgow Boys highlight particularly Sir James Guthrie's 'Funeral in the Highlands'. The funeral of a child. Very moving.

Great day.

Ian
gardenqueen
I was a bit annoyed to find that the slugs/snails have feasted on my French Marigolds. Not a lot I can do really as I don't want to get slug pellets.

On a lighter note, I have been invited to join my daughter, son in law and the boys in La Rochelle for a week at the end of July/beginning of August. We will just have returned from Hungary on the 25th July so my husband doesn't want to travel again so soon. I am now trying to book a flight or I might even go down by Eurostar to Paris then take the train to La Rochelle. Exciting. And then I remember I don't much like the sun but not to worry.
annie laurie
Just checked the picture out again Lizziloo,

You are correct, that was me,

have to get my specs tested or change, laugh.gif cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.