Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
I wonder how I got that double Post. wub.gif

I'm not long home from the UCM and had a good night.

We had a guy singing a lot of the popular songs from the 50/60/70's.

He was a good singer and of course we were all up, Line Dancing, also doing The Alley Cat and The Slosh. My poor legs are aching.

Norrie, you ain't heard nothing yet. What other kind of collar would you put on a puppy called Tully. laugh.gif
I also bought the dog Lead to match the collar.

My niece who lives near me has a dog called Paddy and my late brother had a dog called Timmy.
wellfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 22nd Apr 2014, 08:13am) *
GQ, the weather has turned nasty here and it is pouring rain at the moment.

I was in the town this morning as I had a request from the USA to go to the Celtic shop and buy a Celtic dog collar with, ' You'll Never walk Alone' on it. laugh.gif

I also bought my sister' 8yrs old g'son a Celtic top and a wooly hat to match. rolleyes.gif

CELTIC!!!!!!!! ya' wee bugger ye'.....ah' want' ma' flowers back!...and intae' the bargain yul'' gie' that wee wean a scratchy heid' wi' that wooly hat!!!!....lol
Heather
Ah Wellfield, I come from a family of Celtic supporters.

My sister in the USA used to go to the Celtic matches ever week with our Dad and my brothers, she was going from she was young right up until she Emigrated. yes.gif

My husband and his five brothers also went every week, he no longer goes, but the young one's in the family have carried on the tradition. thumbup.gif

I wouldn't worry about the wooly hat, I'm sure it will be worn with pride along with the Celtic top I bought him. smile.gif
wellfield
Just kidding dear'......actually I've seen Celtic play over here in Los Angeles more times than I've seen most other teams play...we even had a visit from Stevie Chalmers when he was over...he lived beside us up in Balornock!......Ah' guess her wee dug' will never be a stray wi' that collar oan' eh'."You'll Never Walk Alone"
Heather
Aye, I knew you were. laugh.gif
wellfield
Have to set the alarm clock Fri/Sat/Sun/.....my wife is having a garage/yard sale...some really nice stuff as we have just downsized to a smaller home....hate to part with it but room is now the priority.....I'll help her set it up.
Heather
Wellfield, how did the Yard sale go?

A mild day here today, but I'm staying home.
I'm ordering some garden plants tomorrow, so when they come I will be kept busy.
gardenqueen
I have been growing plants for a while in my "greenhouse" - a lean-to with see through roof. They have grown well but now I am trying to get them used to being outdoors in preparation for being put into the ground/containers etc. During the day it is quite mild here and a good mix of April showers and sun but then I have to remember to put them all back into shelter for the night.

Just been watching Country File and they reckon it is going to get a good bit colder round here at the end of the week. Trouble is, I have to leave them outdoors when I go away for my break soon. I can't ask anyone to go through the ritual for me of putting the plants in and out every night.

Plants are so expensive that I don't want to lose them.

angel

Hi GQ , I think if I was in your position and there was no threat of frost
in your area .
I would take the chance and put the plants in the ground with mulch and see how they manage .
gardenqueen
I am tempted to do that, angel, but then I think of the old saying "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" and, even here in S.E. England, it has been known that we have frost in May.

I expect I will end up doing just that though as I have nobody to water them for me and it will probably rain while I am away!

Yesterday, I took some really strong looking plants outdoors for the afternoon. They wilted and I thought I had lost them - it was a bit chilly. I put them back in the greenhouse immediately and when I checked today, they seemed a bit better. It must have been a shock to the system, they were not ready to face the world, lol.
Heather
GQ, if you do that again, I will report you to the Cruelty to Garden Plants. laugh.gif

It's dry but cold outside so I will stay home and have a lazy day, knitting and reading. smile.gif

I'm reading 'This Turbulent Priest'. It's the life story of Cardinal Thomas Winning.
A Scottish Priest I had a lot of admiration for.
gardenqueen
LOL, Heather, I'll keep that in mind, just in case.

Your book sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it.

I've just come back from a shopping trip in Berkhamsted, which is a market town near here. It's a bit posh (see today's Daily Mail online for account of how they don't want Lidl to open there) but I like to browse the charity shops there (also a bit expensive!!) then a quick trip to Waitrose where I get a free pot of tea or a coffee and a free newspaper with my shopping. By the time we had grabbed all the offers, I'm really not sure how they made any profit out of us today.

I wanted to get out in the garden (to apologise to my plants really) but it is threatening rain so I will stay indoors and do a bit of crochet - I have only been doing it for three weeks but I am addicted. Just granny squares at the moment, very appropriate.

Going back to the charity shops, I do love to find a bargain but I'm getting a bit fed up with some of the prices they charge, e.g. £5.49 for a Tesco t-shirt. You can buy new for that. I am not tight but feel that they would sell more stuff if they set more realistic prices. Mind you, the one in Berko probably doesn't want to encourage the riff raff, lol.
Heather
Well I was not as lazy as I said I would be. I cut and edged the grass in the front lawn. So now I need a rest.
I remember the days I could spend hours working in the garden, but the old bones are now feeling the strain.

My husband cut the back lawn, so I just have the weeding to do. Some day soon. biggrin.gif
webb823
2 weeks holiday into the 2day....2days of painting wife pops her head out the back door jim could you paint round the top of the garage aye ok says I Finished the painting wife in the bath shouts down have you finished aye says I could you paint the front window ledge ...only 12more days until back at work t get a break
gardenqueen
QUOTE (webb823 @ 29th Apr 2014, 04:35pm) *
2 weeks holiday into the 2day....2days of painting wife pops her head out the back door jim could you paint round the top of the garage aye ok says I Finished the painting wife in the bath shouts down have you finished aye says I could you paint the front window ledge ...only 12more days until back at work t get a break

Oh, I could do with you round here, webb823. Isn't that what holidays are for? LOL.

Well, today I tore myself away from my crochet and into the garden. The sun was out so I felt inspired and cut some things back from the bottom of the back garden. I pruned back some forsythia and ivy and I found a nice little patio I didn't even know I had. The paving spaces have earth, not pointing, so I am going to plant some thyme and camomile in the spaces. I have moved an old metal table and chairs I re-painted last year onto the new space. Was feeling quite pleased with myself but then I got really dizzy, still am really, I think I should stick to crochet. I have a balance issue to do with my ears, so annoying.

It is really sunny out there now but apparently it will be cold on the weekend evenings/nights.
norrie123
Hi webb823, remember your only as good as your last job

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
That is if the wife agrees, it was a good job. laugh.gif

I decided to clean up the back patio today.
I usually buy the cheap bleach as it cleans the flagstones up nicely, but today I bough the expensive kind and it is rubbish, it is so thick it was like trying to spread gel over the stones.
I bought two bottles, but only used one, so on Thursday I will buy a cheap bottle and mix it with the expensive stuff and hope it cleans up better that the one I used today.

I also did an ironing today then had a rest and did some knitting while watching a video of,' Schindler's List'.
gardenqueen
Heather, be careful. I don't know much about science but I had a bad experience years ago when I mixed bleach with another cleaner. OK, it wasn't another bleach, so you will probably be ok, and it is outdoors, but I will never forget passing out on the kitchen floor when I tried to get my kitchen floor sparkling clean. To this day I can't stand the smell of bleach.

Heather
GQ, that sounds really frightening.

I always clean the flagstones with cheap bleach every Spring and they come up nice, but the dearer bleach has left the flagstones all streaky. sad.gif

The only thing to come up clean was the mop I used, it's almost white.
gardenqueen
It was scary at the time and I've just remembered it was Flash powder I had already put into the bucket and added bleach. Not a good idea so now I am really wary of most cleaning products and use a lot of white vinegar to clean, e.g. the stainless steel sink. Obviously that wouldn't work on large areas or things like patios. We have a huge area of decking that wraps around the back of the house. It was there when we bought the house and I am not that keen as it gets slimy in the winter. We got someone in to clean it and he used something called Swarfega decking cleaner. I didn't like the smell of that at all - I could smell it in the house for a couple of weeks afterwards, but it certainly did a good job on the decking. He worked so hard, for hours on end and only charged £80 plus the materials. Round here that is very, very cheap so he will be getting that job again at the end of summer and again in the Spring.

Bleach does do a good job on paving, I know, but I can't take the smell, even of the lemon scented ones. Blasting it with a power washer works well too but you need to watch you don't wash away the pointing.

My mum used lots of Detol, even in our baths!! I bought some recently but we both found the smell a bit overpowering. I think my nose is getting more sensitive with age, lol.
Heather
After all the rain we have had the last few days. my Patio is looking better. I still have some of it to do, but it is too cold today even though the rain has stopped.

We get a few dry days with some sun, then we are back to the cold and rain.

I have been knitting all afternoon and now I am having a break from stitching the baby jacket with a hood together.

gardenqueen
Been raining non-stop today here. I know the garden needs it but I am at my daughter's house and couldn't get my grandson out all day it was so heavy. There is only so much Lego building I can do and I have a good imagination!

We spent some time looking at video of him on my phone, just six months ago he couldn't/wouldn't speak and now he chatters constantly.

gardenqueen
Warm and sunny outside after a pretty cold night. Thankfully I got all my plants indoors before they got too cold.

Slowly but surely trying to deal with different areas of the garden and today I have been clearing an area that has been taken over by weeds and ivy. I have now decided that the only way to keep on top of this blessed garden is to get someone in to put some shingle down on top of weed membrane as we really are not coping at all with it. The house is not huge but the garden is definitely too big for us to cope with. Ideal for when the grandchildren are here and nice to sit in but too much like hard work I am the sort of peron who likes to sit in the garden and read books about gardening, lol.

Just stopped for a cup of tea. Does anyone else find it as difficult to drink a cuppa without, at least, a biscuit or two? When I first came to England, I found it strange that when someone invited you in for a cup of tea, that's exactly what they meant. No cake, no biscuits, just tea. huh.gif

Old habits die hard, for sure, I am longing for a ring doughnut to go with my tea but am trying to just drink the tea as going out for dinner later.
norrie123
Hi Gardenqueen, a cup of tea or coffee is too wet without a biscuit or four biggrin.gif

Try bark, it might be cheaper and does the job on my bits that I only walk on
having said that you do have to keep topping it up , hmm, perhaps the chuckies are better

I like to lounge about the garden in the sun also but after the work is done

Bye for now, norrie
jakka13
What I'm doing today is going out for lunch with seven other GG members.
Nice restaurant ,great company and going out for dinner tonight with my son. Two meals out ,no cooking or kitchen .BLISS.
Heather
Jakka, I hope you all have a good time.

I have done nothing today except knit and watch TV. Getting lazy in my old age. rolleyes.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 3rd May 2014, 03:17pm) *
Hi Gardenqueen, a cup of tea or coffee is too wet without a biscuit or four biggrin.gif

Try bark, it might be cheaper and does the job on my bits that I only walk on
having said that you do have to keep topping it up , hmm, perhaps the chuckies are better

I like to lounge about the garden in the sun also but after the work is done

Bye for now, norrie

I didn't have a biscuit in the end and I am now starving. I saw my husband sneak a bag of kettle crisps and a chocolate bar not so long ago so I guess he is hungry too.

We have some bark in some areas of the garden but, like you say, you have to keep topping it up. We have 3 cats living next door so I think we need to get the big stones so it doesn't look like cat litter.

The sun is still shining.

I keep meaning to ask you, Norrie, did you have a friend who lived in Torogay St? It's just that I remember someone with your name who was friends with my friend's brother.
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Heather @ 3rd May 2014, 05:19pm) *
Jakka, I hope you all have a good time.

I have done nothing today except knit and watch TV. Getting lazy in my old age. rolleyes.gif

I have days/times like that, Heather, when I just want to chill and do something like knitting or my new found "skill", crochet. Last night I sat and knitted a cotton dishcloth to go with the crochet ones I have been doing. Very therapeutic and, actually, lovely to use. I tried one as a face cloth and it is so soft. I bought a job lot of white cotton yarn from Ebay so I can see me making loads of these for family too. Nice and easy, no thinking required. I can knit more complicated things but this will suit me for the moment.
norrie123
Hi Gardenqueen, its possible, what is his name?

Jakka enjoy your night, I have been to many nights with folk who I have met on web sites, one was in Toronto,one in Wales, and one in Sydney, not to mention the ones we have had in Glasgow

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, you forgot about America. laugh.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 3rd May 2014, 05:49pm) *
Hi Gardenqueen, its possible, what is his name?

Jakka enjoy your night, I have been to many nights with folk who I have met on web sites, one was in Toronto,one in Wales, and one in Sydney, not to mention the ones we have had in Glasgow

Bye for now, norrie

It was George, Norrie. He was a bit older than my friend and me and, somehow, motorbikes seem to ring a bell.
jakka13
Well I had a lovely day catching up with dear friends .We all share the good Glasgow Humour .There's nothing like being with "yer ain folk".
Left earlier than I wanted to because I had arranged to go out for a meal with my family .I think we all enjoyed ourselves .Wish I could have stayed longer .Next time I won't let anyone elses plans take me away from good friends .
norrie123
Hi Heather, crikey your right, how could I forget meeting Jessie ,Tommy and a member of glescapals too

Hi Gardenqueen, I knew a few Georges in those days , mind you as far as I know I was the only Norrie McNamee from Milton biggrin.gif now I am curious, I seldom hear of anyone from Milton that I knew.
George Cook?????

Bye for now, norrie
Jupiter
Having a day out at Hamilton Park Races.I can concentrate on the cuddies and my wife can get some culinary tips from TV chef James Martin who is putting on a show.Might even manage one of his recipes on Whats for dinner today.
Heather
Jup, if you win at the cuddies, then you can take your wife out to dinner. yes.gif
angel
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 4th May 2014, 01:30am) *
Well I had a lovely day catching up with dear friends .We all share the good Glasgow Humour .There's nothing like being with "yer ain folk".
Left earlier than I wanted to because I had arranged to go out for a meal with my family .I think we all enjoyed ourselves .Wish I could have stayed longer .Next time I won't let anyone elses plans take me away from good friends .

Jakka . It was lovely seeing you again , I enjoyed the afternoon very much
and listening to all the little stories and especially the cat getting pawned
and the oven door being removed , hilarious ! biggrin.gif
it was also so nice seeing Helen and Maureen once more
also Anne and John , the last time I saw them was at wee Mag's in Connecticut .
thank you for your delicious homemade chocolates ,
when I got off the train coming home , I took a wrong turn and missed my
bus connection , I then had to wait nearly two hrs for another .
it was nearly 10pm when I got home , I consoled myself by eating those
delicious chocolates .
Any way it was a lovely afternoon , Good chat , good laughs , good people ,
nice luncheon with a couple of glasses of wine , Perfect day yes.gif

norrie123
Glad you all had a good time, thats the upside of Message Boards, long may they continue

Bye for now, norrie
Jupiter
Heather,sadly left my shirt at Hamilton.My wife was gracious enough to settle for a carry in curry as opposed to the Shish Mahal,where I quite fancied a boona.Incidentally James Martin was very entertaining,seems a nice guy.He made something I havent seen or tasted since my honeymoon in Nice in the 70s- a pan bagnet,very tasty.
bilbo.s
I haven't had a proper pan bagnat since 1979 in Aix-en-Provence. We ate ours at a bus stop on the Cours Mirabeau, while staying at a campsite there, awaiting repairs to my CitroŽn DS23 Pallas.
lizeeloo
Angel....sorry to hear you missed your bus. unsure.gif

If I had know I would have picked you up and we could have topped up with another glass of wine
....maybe next year eh thumbup.gif
angel
QUOTE (lizeeloo @ 4th May 2014, 08:59pm) *
Angel....sorry to hear you missed your bus. unsure.gif

If I had know I would have picked you up and we could have topped up with another glass of wine
....maybe next year eh thumbup.gif

Hi Maureen , I thank you for your reply .
I was very pleased to meet others who had made the same mistake as myself . so ,
that did'nt make me feel so bad .
However , if you would like to have a glass of wine between Burlington and Niagara
I would be delighted , so maybe you could let me know what would work for you
and who knows , maybe the others ,
thanks again . pm me if you feel inclined .
Cheers , Pat .

jakka13
Hi Pat ,finally sitting down after a busy day with the family .I was sorry you missed your bus .Poor soul stranded for two hours .We'll try and make things better next time .
I just had so much to do before the wee meet with the dock floating and all the other stuff that gets done before we leave for the summer and with ChookieBun going on holiday and not getting back till the end of April it didn't leave much of a window to organize stuff .
These boards are driving me nuts right now I can't see what I've written .Anyway I think we all enjoyed ourselves ,so good night friends .I've a very busy week ahead .Cheers Jakka
angel
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 5th May 2014, 01:29am) *
Hi Pat ,finally sitting down after a busy day with the family .I was sorry you missed your bus .Poor soul stranded for two hours .We'll try and make things better next time .
I just had so much to do before the wee meet with the dock floating and all the other stuff that gets done before we leave for the summer and with ChookieBun going on holiday and not getting back till the end of April it didn't leave much of a window to organize stuff .
These boards are driving me nuts right now I can't see what I've written .Anyway I think we all enjoyed ourselves ,so good night friends .I've a very busy week ahead .Cheers Jakka

Jean , we had a very nice time , and it is not your fault that I lost my
sense of direction . because of all the constructon that is taking place
at Union Station and also Burlington , it's absolutley mind boggling which
direction to take and it's a wonder that we ever reached our destination .
however I did meet a few others who had the same problems as I ,

I do hope that all goes well for you getting to the cottage and also that
you and Al have a terriffic summer there , so take care and God bless . Pat smile.gif

toerag
Click to view attachmentThanks everyone for a great time together, we sure did have some laughs!!!! Great food, great company! glad you all made it home ok as I did....I had a driver, we both enjoyed the chocolates you make Jakka, thank you!!
Chookie
Thx for posting Toerag! Was a great afternoon. As always, enjoyed the lot of you. My jaws are still sore from a' the laughing...but who's the soor prune in the front? Cannae be
me surely? That Lizeeloo must've been pinchin' me!

rolleyes.gif
angel

I think it's a nice happy photo
and I can see that your trying
hard to smile chookie , Bless your wee heart !
and toerag thanks for posting it . .
norrie123
Good photo, Glasgow folk meeting all over the world
The lady sitting down looks familar to me, Scottish Friends web site?

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Great photo girls, and you are all looking lovely. smile.gif

I can't believe my washing machine has broken down again.
It was repaired on the 19th March, and the Engineer will be back out tomorrow,
Fortunately after the last repair I was given a 90 day Warranty, so it should not cost me anything unless it needs a new part.
lizeeloo
QUOTE (Chookie @ 5th May 2014, 02:01pm) *
Thx for posting Toerag! Was a great afternoon. As always, enjoyed the lot of you. My jaws are still sore from a' the laughing...but who's the soor prune in the front? Cannae be
me surely? That Lizeeloo must've been pinchin' me!

rolleyes.gif

No, No... no pinchin' no soor prune...thats jist your 'wummin in charge' look......we had quite a bit of vino by that time rolleyes.gif
jakka13
Thanks for posting the picture Toerag .Helen you were just trying to get a bit of Coconut oot yer teeth laugh.gif .I just keep getting memories of some of the daft stuff we laughed at .
I wondered why we all keep referring to back hame ????.I've lived in Canada for more years than I lived in Scotland .Dae, ye think it's because all these ex-pats left a wee bit of their herts behind ???I love my life here but I think I left more than a wee bit behind . sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.