Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
Thank you GQ, I will try the Philly some time.

I was in town today, the first time since December and what a day I picked. It started out with sunshine then rain and a very cold wind that almost blew me off my feet then more rain.

I bought a new Freezer as the one we have has been giving us problems flooding all over the kitchen floor. As we have had it a long time, we decided to buy a new one.
I bought it in Curry's and they charged me 22 for next day delivery, free delivery was in 14 days.

I was also in M&S and Debenhams looking for a couple of light weight sweaters now the Spring is here, but the choice's were terrible.
I did get a nice pale green one in BHS, but did not like the other colours they had.
I did mean to get a new brolly and forgot all about it.

I went upstairs in the St. Enoch Centre were the food stalls are, McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kings and a few others and the place was packed with families as it is the School Holidays.
I had my usual tea and cheese burger and managed to find a seat to rest my old weary legs.
I was so tired I got a taxi home. ohmy.gif
carmella
I read somewhere if a recipe called for cream cheese, to use the full fat version as anything else just didn't taste the same, or even mix the same.

I've copied Heather's cheesecake down, and I'm going to give it a bash at the weekend - will let you know how it all turns out.

You sound as if you had a great day in the city Heather, you know I used to go up and down all the time, now I've not been to Glasgow for a long time, and my back hurts so I know I'd not be able to walk far - mind you it hurts because I've put a lot of weight on because i stopped smoking on 15th March last year, it's nae wunner, but the weight will have to come off because I can't stand it.
jakka13
Carmella ,I am so happy to hear another member has quit the habit .Congratulations ,stay strong .Lots of situations will tempt you but just don't give in .I was like a pencil most of my life but since I quit look more like a big eraser laugh.gif
jakka13
Tried to add to the previous post but it wouldn't let me .My husband was so chuffed that I quit (he never smoked )
jakka13
had to carry on that he celebrates every Friday and pats me on the back .Every Friday 13th Feb .I get a card and a gift in way of thanks .and this has gone on for the last 27 years .I have other health issues but I know my lungs are in better shape .Cheers to you for giving up .
Heather
I had a bit of an accident yesterday.
I hung up a small washing on the pulley and when pulling it up the rope snagged on something. I looked up to see what the problem was just as the pulley came crashing down on my head and also hit the cheek bone just below my eye.
I still have a sore head as well as a lump, but I'm surprised I do not have a black eye.

My husband thought the pulley had broken away from the ceiling, but it didn't so he said I must have loosened my grip when I looked up.

One of my friends said I should go to the Hospital and get my head xrayed.

I'm not sure how to take that. wub.gif
norrie123
Hi Heather, I am sure your not the first person to have been crowned by a Pulley
Hope your on the mend

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
I hope you are ok Heather. I don't have a pulley but was considering getting one a while back. Perhaps I'll stick with the clothes horse.

I had my two grandsons stay the night last night - little monkeys, they were really tired but played me up something rotten when they were meant to be asleep. Still, they slept, eventually and went through till 6am, not too bad for a two and four year old.

They are running round the dining table chasing each other right now. Shortly they will be joined by my five year old granddaughter. They see a lot of each other and will soon be running me ragged, finding new ways to exhaust me. Bless them.

So, not doing a lot today except enjoying playing with /feeding them etc. Come 6pm though, it will be a curry and a couple of glasses of chilled white then off for an early night.

Dull here just now but I am hopeful that we will be able to have a picnic in the garden like we did yesterday lunchtime.

Have a great day, everyone.
wellfield
Hope you're O.K. Heather
Well' its a busy week here in Long Beach,CA...at one end of our block is the Long Beach Grand Prix racing through the streets and along the shoreline by the 'Queen Mary" and at the other end is the 50th Anniversary of the Congressional Cup yacht race! right close to the shore...this is America's oldest yacht race,so our dear old Queen Mary never has a dull moment in her retirement!...perfect weather for both events in the 80's (F)
norrie123
I had a tour around The Necropolis behind the Glasgow Cathedral, been here before but there is always something new to see

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
Norrie, it is really interesting there. I went there in November when I was up in Glasgow and I particularly wanted to see the Bridge of Sighs which I had read about in various books set in Glasgow. It is good just to take a moment or two thinking back to how it would have been in the past.

A funny story though, a good few years ago I went there with my daughter who was studying for her G.C.S.E. in Art and she wanted to take some photos in the Necropolis for her project. She was 16 and into that sort of thing. We wandered around and she took some moody photos, acting all brave etc. when a bat flew out of a crypt we were investigating. She nearly fainted and was really scared. We don't let her forget that one.

She did take some good photos and got a good grade in her exam, luckily.
Heather
It's another cold, wet, very windy day here and it would blow the head off you.

Well it blew my hat off coming out of Mass this morning and my son who was given me a lift home, just stood there laughing at me running after my hat. ohmy.gif

GQ, I have never been to the Glasgow Bridge of Sighs, but the name reminds me of Venice, a place I really love going to.
I just love sailing up and down the Grand Canal and getting off at all the wee Islands and going round all the Markets there.

Going to St. Mark's Square in the evening and listening to the Bands that play there.
gardenqueen
Heather, your son didn't video it, did he? LOL. Probably best left to the imagination.

Thankfully, the weather here has been much better as I have had the family to lunch and for the afternoon - all 14 of us. The weather has been great and the four children were able to enjoy the garden and the Easter Egg Hunt I prepared for them. I know it's not Easter yet but they only get together when my sister is down from Glasgow a couple of times a year.

So, all in all, a great day. The men all went off to the pub to watch Liverpool play so we ladies got a bit of time to ourselves too.

I am tired out now and will have an early night to watch The Crimson Fields at 9pm. I didn't enjoy it much last week (the first) but will give it another go.

I miss Call the Midwife and Mr Selfridge on a Sunday night.

Forgot to mention that I too would like to go to Venice. Right now we are planning for a visit to Hungary in July - Budapest for a few days then, maybe off to Lake Balaton for a break.
Anne1
Had a quiet pleasant Sunday, sorted thru mail and made a few phone calls and caught up with a couple of friends smile.gif smile.gif
bilbo.s
Lovely day here. Went down to the beach for chocolate and churros and a chinwag with fellow expats.

Watched "Sunshine on Leith" tonight - it improved as it went on, same idea as "Mamma Mia" I guess. Never saw Embra looking so good ! smile.gif

Quiet, peaceful night on the boards for a wee change. It'll never last !....12.22 - I was right! sad.gif
ashfield
What fun today wacko.gif

One half of our old apple tree has had it so the gardener dispatched the labourer to cut it down. Aye, that's right, my wife sent me out to so it laugh.gif . I would love to report it was a piece of cake, but it wasn't, no fancy chain saws for me, oh no. Anyway, it's done and I now know more than I did before I started. Firstly I am no tree surgeon and secondly, my days of climbing trees are well and truly over yes.gif
norrie123
Hi Ashfield, well at least you got a nice day for working in the garden, I had intended doing some work but read in the sun, there is always tomorrow rolleyes.gif

Bye for now, norrie
ashfield
Hi Norrie, funny that, I planned to read in the sun but ended up gardening huh.gif

The weather was good though, same today but no gardening for me.......or anything that requires even a modest amount of physical effort. I'm knackered today laugh.gif
angel

It's a miserable day here , rain that has turned to snow,
temp is 1'C , it has plummeted down from 22'C in a matter of a few hours , so I will stay indoors today and get some household chores done.
Heather
Shame on you GQ, laughing at me running after my hat, your as bad as my son and him just out of Mass.
What made it so funny is that the hat is round and when it blew off it rolled along the road like a wee wheel with me running after it. laugh.gif

Lovely day here today, and I am trying to coax myself into cutting the grass in the front garden, but I'm feeling very lazy. rolleyes.gif
gardenqueen
Sorry, I'm still laughing, Heather. The idea of it spinning like a wheel doesn't help either!

Weather quite nice here too but can't really sit outside as we had the decking painted yesterday and it pongs of varnish.

I have my granddaughter here for the afternoon and we are both tucking into tea and hot cross buns.

They are very nice, from Aldi, by far the best of the supermarket ones but why do none of them taste as nice as they used to when we were young? The cross bit used to be more crunchy and they were more spicey.
Heather
GQ, I think the hot cross buns are not as nice as they used to be and as you say, the cross not so crunchy.

Well I went out and cut the grass in the front garden.

I decided to cut the grass in the back garden also, and I came a cropper.

When I was turning the mower around I backed into a rambling rose bush, I turned to see where it was and I turned right into it and the thorns stuck right into my neck. I had to pick a couple of thorns out and I now have five wee cuts in the front of my neck. ohmy.gif

I have had a garden nearly all my life and I have never had that happen to me before.
I went right into the shed and got the secateurs and cut the darned bush down.

I'm beginning to give my husband nightmares. wub.gif

Just call my Calamity Jane.
gardenqueen
Yes, gardens can be dangerous places! I have allergies to things like ivy and am forever hurting myself on bramble type things that seem to grow everywhere.

My granddaughter has gone home now and I am online trying to compare the costs of booking our own flights and hotels to the price the travel agent has given us. I just can't understand why he wants to charge us so much more.
jakka13
Well ladies ,I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up a wee bit so I can get up to the cottage and get my garden started .More snow here today.
Carmella my dear ,I hope you are staying strong .I remember one Friday coming home from work to find the word "CONGRATULATIONS" spelled out on my kitchen counter in cut up bacon I had prepared for making Pizza that night .He had forgotten to buy me a card !!!.
Heather
Today I went to the Hairdresser and got my hair cropped short.

I was trying to let it grow, but it was at that stage when it becomes a nuisance.

The rest of the day I watched TV and did some knitting.
gardenqueen
I am really frustrated as it has been a waste of a lovely, sunny day today. When I woke up I felt really dizzy and sick so had to stay in bed for the morning. I am feeling slightly better now but still not right, in fact I have just pulled out of a family meal out this evening. My husband will have to go on his own. One of the family who was here on Sunday was sick all day Monday but fine the next day. I was worried it was something she ate here but everyone else was fine so it must be one of those 24 hour bugs.

I am hoping to be well tomorrow to look after my grandsons but have told my daughter to have someone on standby just in case.

I will have an early night.
norrie123
I met up with 8 other Glescapals in the Peoples Palace for a wee get together and lunch
We were all strangers when we joined the web site, now we are friends

Bye for now, norrie
wellfield
Norrie'...ah' wis' a friend when ah' met ma' wife,now we're strangers!
norrie123
Hi wellfield, hee hee, good one

Busy day in the garden, 10-30 till 17-00, apart from lunch in the garden and a wee nap biggrin.gif
Car washed as well

Time for a wee dram and a pint

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
I know I should be out doing some gardening, but I am having a lazy day and watching repeats of Call the Midwife on Channel 807.

I got a lovely bouquet of flowers in a vase delivered to me this morning from my sister in the USA. There was a box of chocolates with it and I am enjoying eating them at the moment.
norrie123
Another day in the garden, off to friends for dinner soon

Bye for now, norrie
Anne1
Heather thank you for my lovely Easter Card smile.gif
Heather
Your welcome. smile.gif
Anne1
Morning everyone hope you all have a Holy & Happy Easter

gardenqueen
Happy Easter, everyone.

Not got any plans for today which is just as well due to the dull, possibly wet weather.

Just going to spend the day catching up on chores, maybe a bit of craft work if I feel in the mood.

Lunch will be a simple pasta with pesto sauce with salad.
norrie123
Wee bit of loading photos, some garden work then off to see Glasgow Tigers at Ashfield
Sunny today so it wont be rained off this week

Bye for now, norrie
wellfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 19th Apr 2014, 07:56am) *
I know I should be out doing some gardening, but I am having a lazy day and watching repeats of Call the Midwife on Channel 807.

I got a lovely bouquet of flowers in a vase delivered to me this morning from my sister in the USA. There was a box of chocolates with it and I am enjoying eating them at the moment.

Ah' see you got my flowers Heather!!....enjoy!....chuckle
wellfield
Going with my son and his family to an Easter party with all their friends kids!....a wee bit noisy during the egg hunt I'll bet!...will be 80 degrees(F) here today,nice breeze......Happy Easter to All!
angel

Campbell , hope you have a nice time

I just saw some video's of baby Prince George
in NewZealand and Australia
They can make him King any day . biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Tam C
Hi all my van is all packed to the gunnels driving to Greece tomorrow .Happy Easter Tam C
norrie123
Hi Tam C, enjoy Greece
Bye for now, norrie
wellfield
QUOTE (angel @ 20th Apr 2014, 09:59am) *
Campbell , hope you have a nice time

I just saw some video's of baby Prince George
in NewZealand and Australia
They can make him King any day . biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
A hefty and healthy Lad indeed!
Heather
Wellfield, see what you have done, you have let the cat out the bag, now I will be the talk of the steamy. laugh.gif

I hope you all had a lovely blessed Easter.
wellfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 21st Apr 2014, 04:02am) *
Wellfield, see what you have done, you have let the cat out the bag, now I will be the talk of the steamy. laugh.gif

I hope you all had a lovely blessed Easter.
Ha' Ha'.....had a lovely easter!.....went to an Easter party....watched all the little kids search for 250 plastic eggs,the lady said she was up all night putting wee novelties in each of them...the kids were in their glory!
Heather
I'm off to the UCM tonight.

It's our Hospitality night, so other UCM's will be joining us and a good time will be had by all. smile.gif
gardenqueen
Off to my Women's Club this evening when we will be having a talk about schools today - not really up my street as an ex-teacher.

Miserable weather here today so I have not done much except a bit of ironing, watching some crochet tutorials on YouTube and generally playing on my chromebook.

It is quiet outside as all the children went back to school today.

Hopefully the weather will improve here as we go away (to the Kent coast) two weeks today and I am looking forward to a nice break.

Heather
GQ, the weather has turned nasty here and it is pouring rain at the moment.

I was in the town this morning as I had a request from the USA to go to the Celtic shop and buy a Celtic dog collar with, ' You'll Never walk Alone' on it. laugh.gif
I also bought my sister' 8yrs old g'son a Celtic top and a wooly hat to match. rolleyes.gif
Heather
GQ, the weather has turned nasty here and it is pouring rain at the moment.

I was in the town this morning as I had a request from the USA to go to the Celtic shop and buy a Celtic dog collar with, ' You'll Never walk Alone' on it. laugh.gif

I also bought my sister' 8yrs old g'son a Celtic top and a wooly hat to match. rolleyes.gif
gardenqueen
Shame about the weather, Heather but I expect it was good while it lasted. Typical April weather here just now, the sun shining one minute then pouring down the next. It's not cold at night though and I left my plants outside for the first time. Can't relax about that though as we could still get snow, I suppose. I know we have had it late April before.

I'm smiling at the idea of the doggy in his collar...I bet it will get some comments.
norrie123
Hi Heather, whats your sister thinking of, a Celtic dog collar for her dog, poor wee thing biggrin.gif
No doubt she will send me a photo biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.