Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
gardenqueen
Finally managed to find a taker for the 6 dining chairs I needed to give away. Tried Freecycle again in the end and had lots of interest.

It was funny, I was working in the garden and my husband locked me out when he went to the shops. The lady arrived to collect the chairs and I had to go round the side gate (where I never normally venture) and apologise. Anyway, we were nattering away and I said I also had a drop leaf table in one of the outdoor storage places we have. She was keen to take that too. Result!

My husband turned up and she took the chairs and came back for the table so I am really pleased now that has made some more space for me to fill up with something else, lol.

Glorious weather here, will be having a cuppa in the garden when I have finished my gardening.

At last!!
Elma
So pleased your were able to give away your table and chairs. Now they will have pride of place in someone else's dining room. thumbup.gif
Elma
Today is the World Day of Prayer and it is our Church's turn to host the other churches in Kimberley. The service this year was written by the people of Egypt so the service revolves round that theme. This is world wide so this sould be celebrated in all of your towns......hint...hint tongue.gif
angel

Glorious weather here, will be having a cuppa in the garden when I have finished my gardening.

At last!!

We too have a glorious day here , our temp . has now risen to
the plus side 3' Celsius , it is sweltering biggrin.gif
beautiful sunshine of which I have already taken advantage and gone walking , but it is still a bit to early to get out in the yard , to much snow and
ice . smile.gif smile.gif
gardenqueen
Thanks, Elma, I was sorry to see the table go in some ways but I already have a dining table so it is good to know that someone is getting the use of it. The girl is setting up home so I have taken her number and maybe I might be able to give her a few more things soon.

Angel, it is all relative, I suppose. It's meant to be 17 degrees here on Sunday and I can't wait.

Can't be too complacent though as we have had snow in April before now. I hope your weather continues to be on the up.

Tennscot
Just made a Gallon of New Orleans Sea Food Gumbo (Basic) Divided into 4 serving. to be frozen and
[/indent] seafood added when reheating[indent]
also bought fresh Florida large shrimp , crab meat and frozen Norwegian Cod and Haddock fillets' Added some to first lot of Gumbo,, MMMMM!! Great Bowl of Good Coonass !! cooking wub.gif
gardenqueen
Mouth watering here, Tennscot, I would love that.

Another nice day here in Hertfordshire, so different from recent weather. Popped into town to my favourite TKMax and picked up a few bargains. Did some housework and some work in the garden to tidy up because someone is coming to give us an estimate for gardening tomorrow and I don't want it to look like a lost cause.

Got the family coming for lunch tomorrow and have just made a lovely, if fattening, lemon drizzle cake with poppy seeds. Made one last week and thought they would enjoy it after the roast beef.

Got a chilli con carne cooking for us right now and looking forward to a quiet evening in front of the tv. It is gone 6pm and it is still light. Wonderful.

Have a good evening, all.
wellfield
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 7th Mar 2014, 06:28pm) *
Just made a Gallon of New Orleans Sea Food Gumbo (Basic) Divided into 4 serving. to be frozen and
[/indent] seafood added when reheating[indent]
also bought fresh Florida large shrimp , crab meat and frozen Norwegian Cod and Haddock fillets' Added some to first lot of Gumbo,, MMMMM!! Great Bowl of Good Coonass !! cooking wub.gif
Hi Brother...now that sounds good!.....my son Steve and his wife are going to New Orleans with 4 other couples next weekend!!...Lots of good food!...(we're babysitting for the week)
ashfield
Today I'm thinking of going down to the supermarket with a pot of black paint and a wee brush to change the special parking area signs that read "blue badge parking only" and "mother and child only".

I want to add "lazy fat bandits who won't walk 10 yards" and "people who think they are too important, or their car is too big or too expensive to use regular parking spaces" to reflect the reality of what happens angry.gif

Oh aye, ah wouldnae write "bandits" laugh.gif
gardenqueen
LOL, Ashfield, I know what you mean.

We have restricted parking around here because we have a hospital (that charges for parking) nearby, so we have to have parking permits for our own cars. Luckily, ours is the only house in the road that has its own offstreet parking on the drive and we have a white line in front of our drive to stop people blocking our access (it costs around 1000 for the council to do that for us). Anyway, we still get people who park there even though they can see our car is sitting on the drive. Grrrr!
norrie123
Hi Gardenqueen, grrrrrrrrrr right enough, I dont understand folk who park over or partly over a driveway, why? they must realise they are causing an obstruction
Of course, some folk wont walk the length of themselves

Bye for now, norrie
TeeHeeHee
... sittin' in nursing a helluva toothache today while Mary and co. are off down town to watch the Fasnacht Carnival where the Black Forest witches are friendly ... but naughty tongue.gif
Click to view attachment
gardenqueen
Feel like we have "stolen" a summer's day today. After lunch we all went into the garden and it was (in my husband's words, not mine) a bit too hot to sit in the sun! Still sunny now and even if it was a one off, we have enjoyed it very much. The grandchildren were playing so happily, gettin on well with each other, no fighting at all. It's amazing what a bit of sunshine can do. The neighbours were all taking the opportunity to enjoy/work in their gardens too.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 6th Mar 2014, 02:24pm) *
Oh dear, Dave. You must come from Newton Mearns. In Scotland a pancake is approx 1cm thick and about 8cm in diameter and you eat them with butter or jam.

Newton Mearns !! Bilbo, Newton Mearns!! is that somewhere exotic like Casablanca or Timbuctou

Have a wee gander at the page I found in the BROONS But an Ben Cookbook it distinctly describes MY pancakes to a T, if its good enough for the Broons well theres nae arguin aboot it, so there laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bilbo.s
What is described there is English pancakes, which some Scots may well make on Shrove Tuesday. Scotch pancakes are as I describe them, and are readily available in the shops, for those who do not care to make their own. I think you must have been on the batter ! laugh.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Mar 2014, 04:54pm) *
What is described there is English pancakes, which some Scots may well make on Shrove Tuesday. Scotch pancakes are as I describe them, and are readily available in the shops, for those who do not care to make their own. I think you must have been on the batter ! laugh.gif

Jings man are you contradicting Maw Broon???? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Heather
What a stushi over a Pancake, watch it or I will batter the pair of you. laugh.gif

Quite mild here today and if I could get rid of this everlasting cold, I could be out in the garden cleaning up dead plants lying all over the borders as well as weeds and grass growing in the wrong place's.

I have never seen my garden so untidy at this time of year. sad.gif
wellfield
.....took this pic on my morning walk today!
wellfield
I'm so fortunate to be able to see our own "Queen Mary" every day here in Long Beach,CA
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wellfield @ 10th Mar 2014, 09:22pm) *
I'm so fortunate to be able to see our own "Queen Mary" every day here in Long Beach,CA

Ah cannae see it, Wellfield. unsure.gif laugh.gif

Strangely enough I saw it in a Clint Eastwood movie the other night, but there wis nae sign o' you.

Och, jist saw the previous post ! blush.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 10th Mar 2014, 04:02pm) *
Jings man are you contradicting Maw Broon???? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Aye ! Ahm Oor Wullie efter a' ! laugh.gif
wellfield
Hi bilbo's...check post #8818....cannie miss it...well it wis' sittin' there this mornin' so it wis'
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wellfield @ 10th Mar 2014, 09:30pm) *
Hi bilbo's...check post #8818....cannie miss it...well it wis' sittin' there this mornin' so it wis'

OK. See my amended post. biggrin.gif
norrie123
Hi wellfield, I feel sorry for you struggling in all that sun, send some over to us biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
ashfield
Norrie, open yir curtains laugh.gif
Heather
What a surprise today, the sun was actually shining.

This is the first day since way before Christmas that it was not raining.
norrie123
Hi ashfield, its ok, I was just wanting a wee bit heat with what sun we had, well today I was in the garden, took the hedge trimmer to some bushes then sat in the sun and relaxed, could Spring have sprung or will Winter come back and bite us on the bum biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, it will bite you that hard you won't be able to sit for a week. ohmy.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 11th Mar 2014, 01:18pm) *
What a surprise today, the sun was actually shining.

This is the first day since way before Christmas that it was not raining.
The opposite here!,we had 3 days of rain last week,first time i'ts rained for months and months.
angel

The opposite here!,we had 3 days of rain last week,first time i'ts rained for months and months.

Campbell ,we have had a couple of spring like days and today the temp.
was 12'C and very calm , however snow for tomorrow .
gardenqueen
It looks nice out there and I have nothing really planned except to pick my granddaughter up for school at 3.15 and bring her back for tea.

Went to my Women's Club last night where we were entertained by the owner of our local auction house, Stephen Hearn. He appears regularly on all the antique shows on tv but I didn't realise just how funny he can be. He kept us in stitches for an hour and fifteen minutes talking about how he came to be an auctioneer. A lovely man.

Meanwhile, my thoughts for the day must turn to the fact that Mary Berry apparently serves cheese before pudding when entertaining. Is she right? I can see that being the subject of conversation at many tables this week. LOL.

I could eat cheese all day long and don't much like pudding anyway.
ashfield
GQ, serving cheese before dessert is pretty much a French tradition and we have been doing it for the last 40 odd years (on those occasions when we're having the full Monty with friends or family of course). It just makes sense, savoury before sweet yes.gif
bilbo.s
Moi aussi, Ash - and of course it also avoids two changes of wine ! yes.gif
gardenqueen
Ashfield, I have a friend from Glasgow who also does that. It does make sense really. But when do you serve the port?

Takes me back to the early 70s, when I first came to London, lots of "dinner parties" when we were young, playing at being grown ups in our new houses. We would dress up (the girls anyway) in long dresses (very Abigail's Party), down a few Dubonets or Cinzanos before tucking into prawn cocktail, moussaka followed by, of course, black forest gateau, all washed down by Bull's Blood or Blue Nun. After that, out came the Jacobs crackers and cheese and a bottle of port, the top of which was never put back on. All accompanied to the sounds of Tubular Bells.

Afterwards, out came the guitars and we would all sing Dylan songs or Simon and Garfunkel, sitting on the big floor cushions that stood in for proper sofas in those days.

ashfield
That sounds just like our parties right now laugh.gif

As for the other thing..............Port only seems to work with blue cheese so I stick with red wine, we always have some if our guests want it though.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (ashfield @ 12th Mar 2014, 10:17am) *
That sounds just like our parties right now laugh.gif

As for the other thing..............Port only seems to work with blue cheese so I stick with red wine, we always have some if our guests want it though.

I prefer Port on its own- I find it too sweet with cheese. Mind you, we drink red wine with everything, including fish. Cava for the smoked salmon though.
ashfield
Yep, agree about Port. We also have White Port which is great chilled, or drunk the way some Portugese do, mixed in a tall glass with Tonic and ice. We don't much stick the "rules" with wine either, we tend to drink whatever we fancy, although that's mostly red.
gardenqueen
To be honest, ashfield, it probably would be mine right now given half a chance. Due to various health issue, mostly concerning my digestive system, I have to be careful and alcohol doesn't have the appeal it once did have.

I like a nice glass of white, maybe Pinot, in the summer, especially. Whenever I do indulge, I have to pay the price for days afterwards so have to drink with caution these days, sadly. One by one, life's pleasures................oh for those days when I could eat and drink what I liked with no consequences. Mind you, maybe my digestive problems are as a result of those days!
RonD
Rarely drink wine as it hits me too fast even one glass, and I gave up spirits eons ago. I'm afraid a I'm just a old beer fella then not too many. However, ( and there is always one !) I do buy a bottle of port in December and sip it slowly until the New year. The reason to remember and honour my Mum who never drank all her days but liked a small glass of port on New Year. I have heard that one can enjoy walnuts with a glass of port, makes sense the bitter with the sweet. I will have try it next December.
DavidT
I've got a free day. No appointments, work up to date, shopping done. What's going on. It's usually raining when I get a free day, but the sun has got his hat on. I'm off to the park to smell the flowers. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah...
bilbo.s
I am busy fitting a security gate at the top of our stairs for the impending visit of my granddaughter Annika in 6 weeks time. This will be her first visit to Spain, although she has been to & fro between Denmark and Scotland, and has also been to Germany and Crete.
Heather
I was reading in the Newspaper today that the Police last night announced an official probe into an alleged outbreak of sunshine. laugh.gif
Officers went online to reveal the sudden change in climate was the subject of a Police Inquiry, as Scots basked in the brightest day of the year.

This was put on Twitter by Police in North Ayrshire. smile.gif
DavidT
Hi Heather, I went to Pollok Park and as usual it was full of cops kidding on they were working laugh.gif Maybe they were investigating this outbreak of sunshine right enough.
Anyhow I got some photographic evidence of the sudden spring-like weather....
Click to view attachment
boots
DavidT, what a delightful picture, thank you for posting. I hope you gave a copy to the police to help with their investigation. biggrin.gif
Heather, do you know if that investigation has gone international? There's evidence of the same thing happening here with mixed results I'm afraid. rolleyes.gif
jakka13
I had what you might call a Scottish day .I made three dozen TOTTIE Scones .Then I painted three small Scottish Flags which I fly on the van .The ones I buy only last a week or two but if I make them myself I give them a better finish and they last for a couple of months .
It is my anniversary tomorrow .Yes I got married on a Friday the 13th .Done ok 55 years .
Thanks for the picture David ,it's been blowing a blizzard since before I got up this morning and very cold -27.
ashfield
Congratulations on your anniversary Jakka, hope you have a great day biggrin.gif . I would love to have shared the wonderful display of Crocuses Mrs A planted in pots, but our squirrels have had them all. They dig them up and eat the bulbs. Now they are snapping off the Narcissi as they hunt for, now non-existant, Crocus angry.gif

Today I'm not painting, not fixing, not humphing, I'm doing nothing but having a day off............apart from getting some shopping.

After that I'm putting my feet up..........maybe laugh.gif
Heather
David, the sun has been found guilty of Sunshine over Scotland. laugh.gif

I have some miniature flowers in the garden blooming away.

The tubs at the front door have miniature daffodils in them.

Ross told me years ago that his mum put netting over the tubs to keep the squirrels from eating the bulbs. It works.
boots
I hope you're having better weather for your big day Jakka and belated best wishes for your anniversary. Our temperatures dropped down again as quickly as they came up but the sun stayed with us. Mind you, the Peg usually gets a lot of sun all winter long even when it's very cold.
Sorry about your flowers Ash but they went to a good cause - those poor, starving wee squirrels. Say, maybe you could pick up some flowers when you're out shopping tongue.gif
gardenqueen
Spent yesterday at my daughter's house, looking after my grandson. Stayed the night but got very little sleep as he has a terrible cough. It was lovely though to have both the boys pile in to see me this morning. My daughter and her husband are like zombies this morning due to lack of a good night's sleep. Still, they are off to Chamonix this evening for a long weekend of skiing at her dad's place there so, hopefully they will come back refreshed. They are not staying with me this weekend but are staying with their grandad and his partner. I wish them luck in the sleeping department!
Heather
Jakka, congratulations on your 55th Wedding Anniversary.

Another dry day here today.

I did the housework and some ironing, now I am having a rest and a wee cup of tea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.