Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
gardenqueen
The sun is shining again so I am going to go out and buy some potatoes to plant in containers. I got lots of free seeds in a gardening magazine so might even have a go at starting some of those off today too. I wouldn't be surprised if we still have some bad weather ahead of us before winter is out so I will keep everything in the lean-to until I can be sure.

Hope the weather is pleasant where you are today.
norrie123
Hi Ashfield, I do get that test, I was thinking of other tests

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
Just come back from Sunday lunch out at a local pizza restaurant. We had a deal - 13.75 for a (limited) 3 course lunch and had a bottle of Pinot at extra cost. It cost us around 50. What amazed me were the number of families eating there including one family with two parents and six children ranging from new born to around seven years old. All very well behaved, I must say, but how they could afford it is beyond me. Lots of young families there. It is good to know that there is still money around, despite what we are led to believe. I refuse to believe that these people could afford to eat out on benefits so things must be on the up, round here anyway.

All the restaurants appeared to be equally busy.
Jupiter
Had an amusing episode at the Turkish barbers at Partick Cross today.There was one man in the chair and there seemed to be a bit of dialogue between him and the barber about his cut.Eventually the barber says to him, Are you hairdresser, sir?
I nearly fell out the chair when the man replied, Im a surgeon, I know about anatomy, just get it finished.He got out the chair, paid and stormed out.My turn no prob, quick buzz, then the ears nose and eyebrows done, ears done with a flaming stick, all for a fiver.Next up was a constable, in off the beat for a number one.Im a surgeon, love it.Btw its a very good hairdressers.
Heather
Jup, maybe he was a tree surgeon and that is how he knew about trimming things. laugh.gif

Still raining, so nothing new.

Had a busy day washing down some doors then relaxed with doing some knitting. I have started knitting a baby hat. smile.gif
All the baby items I have knitted are in white and lemon. I won't use blue or pink until I know the sex of the baby.
Jupiter
Heather,he was actually given a really smart haircut.
norrie123
Still no word from purplefan, has anybody heard from him?

Bye for now, norrie
Dylan
" maybe he was a tree surgeon and that is how he knew about trimming things."

Heather, mibbee he felt threatened as Barbers were the original Surgeons ,hence the Red&White Poles ?
angel

just got back from the doc . I'm fit as a fiddle biggrin.gif
and the temp. today has gone up to -10 , with a bitterly
cold wind ,but that's a big improvement over the past few days,
just now heavy snow flurries , maybe spring will spring soon .
cheers , Pat
gardenqueen
Glad to hear you are fit, Pat. I got the results of my (routine) bowel cancer screening and it was ok so I can relax for a while. It is always stressful awaiting results.

Heather, I bet the baby things look lovely. I am just remembering those cute little boy hats (helmets?) people used to knit.

I have been looking after my grandson at their house so been up to my elbows in Lego all day. Also, he has just started to be potty trained so that was fun and games!

Been looking forward to going out for a meal this evening to a new place in town. We were meant to go last week but ended up elsewhere. Got a call on my way home which I couldn't answer but a message has been left to say that they are now closed this evening. No reason apart from being closed! So I won't be booking there again.

There is another place we want to try this evening, a Moroccan restaurant and I am now waiting for it to open to see if we can get ourselves booked in there. You know what it is like, you are geared up to go out and you have to do it! Fingers crossed!
Jupiter
Great news Gardenqueen and Angel.Im delighted its all good.
rolleyes.gif
gardenqueen
Thanks, Jupiter. It's always good to get clear tests.

We managed to get into our Moroccan restaurant and it was great. Lovely food, lovely staff and good to know that they are expanding to the premises upstairs where they are going to also have a Bedouin tent as there is a garden. They already have belly dancing apparently and the shisha pipe. Quite a novelty in this part of Hertfordshire though quite the norm on the Edgware Road and other parts of London. The pipe thing doesn't appeal to me but I have done some belly dancing when I was in the WI!!!
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 27th Feb 2014, 09:59am) *
Still no word from purplefan, has anybody heard from him?

Bye for now, norrie

Maybe now that he's living the dream in Glesga he dosen't have time for the board at the moment
Dylan
"I have done some belly dancing when I was in the WI!!! "

Tell us more GQ ?

smile.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Dylan @ 28th Feb 2014, 08:11am) *
"I have done some belly dancing when I was in the WI!!! "

Tell us more GQ ?

smile.gif

LOL, fortunately there are no photos, Dylan.

Seriously though, the WI can be quite surprising, depending upon which branch you join.

We used to have "speakers" come in to talk about various things, some boring, some not so. My favourites were the "hands on" type of guest speaker. We were taught the basics of belly dancing and some of us went on to join classes. It is great exercise.

My daughter's WI is young and trendy, very much hands on and with regular 50s and Burlesque evenings. It is in St Albans and I have been along to a few of their meetings - great fun!
Dylan
"Seriously though, the WI can be quite surprising, depending upon which branch you join."

I know GQ, I seen Calendar Girls .!

Was that your Branch .??

biggrin.gif

gardenqueen
It was in Redhill, Surrey, Dylan, I lived there till three and a half years ago. I think it has gone from strength to strength. For some reason, such organisations seem to be very popular again. I think it is to do with the renewed interest in baking and sewing although that is not necessarily what they do there.
Dylan
OK, more power to your elbow GQ smile.gif
gardenqueen
Today has been a bit wasted, to be honest. The sun has been shining and I have been wanting to get out and about but have been stuck at home.

I recently put a set of dining room chairs on Freecycle. They are in good condition but I no longer need them. I got a few timewasters replying but nobody actually turned up when they said they would. I tried the charity shops but they won't take them unless they have a fire safety label on the fabric seat part. The alternative was to take them to the local tip but when I saw someone on Freecycle asking for a dining table and chairs, I emailed her and said I had 6 chairs and a drop leaf table if she wanted to phone me. She did this yesterday and we arranged that she and her partner would come round today, around lunch time. I cleaned the chairs up and took them from the lean-to into the house, ready to be viewed and taken away. I didn't bring the heavy table in, just in case. Anyway, no show again, no phone call, no text.

When I think back to when I started up in my first home, I would have been right in there but I suspect people don't want second hand, even when they ask for it!!

I really don't want to dump the chairs, it is such a waste but I can't store them for much longer so a trip to the tip is inevitable.
norrie123
Hi gardenqueen, thats a shame, hope you find a home for the stuff and dont have to dump it

Bye for now, norrie
mlconnelly
GH, have you tried facebay or gumtree. My niece uses both to get rid of stuff and you can narrow them down to your local area. Is there a shop locally that you could maybe put a note in their window. I hate the idea of throwing away perfectly good furniture. Good luck. Mary
gardenqueen
Norrie, Mary, I will do my best not to dump the furniture. I tried Ebay, Mary but no watchers never mind buyers! I have asked around family and friends (usually a good bet but not this time). They are, honestly, in not too bad condition. Last year I bought the gate-legged table and 6 chairs which were made by Ducal because they were stronger and more the style I wanted, than the ones I am no longer needing. I sanded the chairs down and painted them to match my existing dining table and they look great. I would quite like to do the same with the table and chairs but it is a lot of work when I don't actually need them. I don't want to sell them, done up or otherwise, just give them away. I would rarely need 12 dining chairs, maybe at Christmas but I can't store them just for once a year.

I will look into the other sites you mention, Mary.
Heather
GQ, you should check out if there are any Second Hand Furniture Shops in you area.

Try the phone book to check them.

You could also try the Salvation Army or the St. Vincent De Paul.
gardenqueen
Heather, not sure about whether second hand furniture shops would require them but definitely the charity shops won't take them without the fire label. I had this problem with a sofa a few years ago. I suppose you can understand that. I can't remember exactly what the regulations are, I would imagine that antiques shops wouldn't have to conform to that so maybe privately owned second hand furniture shops might not have to either.

I think some of the problem in finding takers is that a lot of houses don't have dining rooms any more and people don't have anywhere to put a dining table and chairs. Even with the drop leaf, the table (and chairs) take up a good bit of room.

I have asked my daughter (again) to put the feelers out too. I suggested to my husband that we leave one out by our gate with a notice saying that there are 5 more for free, just ring the doorbell but he won't let me do that. He thinks it might set a precedent and that folk might start putting all sorts of stuff outside their houses, lol. Anyway, most of the houses in this road are small, Victorian terraces, so they wouldn't have room.
Heather
GQ, I know what you mean by trying to get rid of a sofa.

I had the same problem with a Lounge suite a few years ago. I had to get the Cleansing Dept. to take it away and it was in good condition.
The same problem as you, it had no fire label on it.

No doubt the people who hunt the dump sites got the use of it.
gardenqueen
Well, you would like to think somebody got the benefit, Heather. We were at the local tip just after Christmas. I sat in the car while my husband was getting rid of some cardboard boxes etc. I couldn't believe what I saw people just putting in the skips, which I know are just taken away and crushed. When we were moving house we had to put our belongings into storage for a few months as we were staying with my daughter. My husband reckoned it would be cheaper to get rid of things rather than pay for storage (a decision I have often regretted when looking for something I knew I once had). We took lots to the charity shops, books, dvds, crockery, glasses etc. They wouldn't take electrical stuff sto we took it to the tip and asked the guys there if we could leave it to one side in case anyone could use it. They were not interested in recycling at that level, they just cut the plugs off and chucked the goods into the skips. I suppose it is recycled at some stage but I would always rather somebody had the use of something.

It is certainly changed days.
RonD
We are fortunate here in Ontario in that we have Restore a charity shop for furniture, appliances and fixtures. The resell them and raise funds for Habitat for Humanity.
Elma
We are lucky here, at our Garbage Dump there is a large shed where you can leave stuff you don't want so that anyone can come and just take it home. There is a fast turnover and it's amazing what some people leave there and it's all free.
boots
That sounds like a great idea E thumbup.gif lma, I'm going to pass it on to my city councillor.
gardenqueen
QUOTE (RonD @ 1st Mar 2014, 11:28pm) *
We are fortunate here in Ontario in that we have Restore a charity shop for furniture, appliances and fixtures. The resell them and raise funds for Habitat for Humanity.

We do have charity shops for furniture, RonD, but there are regulations as to what they accept, e.g. the fire labels on anything with fabric, e.g. chairs, sofas, beds. Also, some charity shops actually charge to come and collect stuff and I think that puts people off a bit.

Our local charity furniture shop charges pretty high prices too. I have seen people walk out, amazed at the prices. I wouldn't expect them to be very cheap but, given the fact that the stuff is donated, it would be nice if it was priced within the reach of people who need it.
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Elma @ 2nd Mar 2014, 03:53am) *
We are lucky here, at our Garbage Dump there is a large shed where you can leave stuff you don't want so that anyone can come and just take it home. There is a fast turnover and it's amazing what some people leave there and it's all free.

Elma, some of our recycling depots (dumps) do have an area but these are sometimes "owned" by charities who have the same criteria of what they will accept, i.e. the fire safety labels.
norrie123
Hi gardenqueen, I can reccomend Gumtree as well got rid of a large cooker
There are some sites on Face Book where folk advertise stuff they want to give away or sell for that matter

Bye for now, norrie
gardenqueen
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 2nd Mar 2014, 10:04am) *
Hi gardenqueen, I can reccomend Gumtree as well got rid of a large cooker
There are some sites on Face Book where folk advertise stuff they want to give away or sell for that matter

Bye for now, norrie

Thanks, Norrie, will take a look.

Meanwhile, my daughter in law has just phoned to see if I can look after my granddaughter for a couple of hours. All my plans for the day are gladly on hold......

But while she is here, I will see if she or her friends would like some lovely chairs, no pressure, lol.
mlconnelly
I've noticed on Facebook that some people are "liking" something call Free Stuff which appears to very local. My friend has used Free Stuff Drumchapel and thinks its great. Mary
Jupiter
Ive used Gumtree a few times. I advertised my record collection,over 250 albums in Freebies and was inundated with would be takers. I would advise against leaving a phone number.
As for today,just in from a visit to Seaworld at Loch Lomond Shores.Dreich doesnt describe it yet it was extremely busy.I was as drookit as the turtle.
Nice to see the place getting a wee turn though,coaches etc.
Going down Stockiemuir Rd towards Drymen the view over toward Ben Lomond and the other snow capped hill can only be described as magnificent.It doesnt matter the time or season it always breathtaking.
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 1st Mar 2014, 08:07pm) *
GQ, you should check out if there are any Second Hand Furniture Shops in you area.

Try the phone book to check them.

You could also try the Salvation Army or the St. Vincent De Paul.

Hi Heather , two good choices , for getting rid of big furniture ,
although I do give the edge to the Salvation army .
Here you can give them a call and someone will come to your home
check out what you have and it's condition, then . if everything is OK
they will probably be back in a week and pick up your furniture ,
this service does not cost a been to yourself , and then it goes to
their stores and is sold , It is good knowing the money they get , goes
into their organisation and not used for profit but to help those who
need their help.

We can call our garbage pickup at least two days before pickup day ,
however if it is household furniture , couches arm chairs and the likes
then it is your responsibility to get that stuff out and onto the sidewalk
to be taken away but they will not take T,V,s computers , fridges etc.,
anything else is your responsibility .

Heather
Shrove Tuesday, better know as Pancake Tuesday.

I've made my Pancakes and had a couple with a cup of tea.

I can't believe we are into Lent tomorrow.

The Pioneer Total Abstinence Association are promoting a 'Short-term Pledge for Lent'.
I think I will sign up for, it as I rarely drink alcohol it will be no hardship.

Any others willing to take the Pledge for Lent. wink.gif
gardenqueen
Can't drink hardly anything these days, Heather, due to a variety of health issues.

Just made two batches of pancakes, one English and one Scottish. I ate a few of the Scottish ones and my husband polished off the rest.

Mind you, he is very fit and gets away with whatever he eats, unlike myself.

Making the pancakes took me back to when I used to stand with my mum who would make them. I always got fascinated by the little bubbles that appeared before she turned them.

If there were any left, we would take them to school for our play piece. That was before the days of the food police mind you. Not sure schools would allow it these days as they provide the children with fruit at break times.
Heather
GQ, Scottish & English Pancakes, that's a new one on me.

What is the difference?
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Heather @ 4th Mar 2014, 09:18pm) *
GQ, Scottish & English Pancakes, that's a new one on me.

What is the difference?

Maybe it was just in my house, Heather, but mum used to make maybe 3 or 4 pancakes to a pan whereas my mother in law (Swiss) used to make one large pancake (like a crepe) and this seems to be what most people in Engand have. The difference also is that the Scottish ones I make are with self-raising flour and sugar in the recipe whereas the other ones use plain flour with no sugar, thus the common addition of sugar and lemon juice when served.

Also, the ones I had in Scotland were a thicker batter and therefore the pancakes were thick too. I think they are known as Scotch pancakes and available to buy in some shops in packets.
angel
abcd ef
jakka13
I think the difference is ours were smaller and thicker .English pancakes were more like Crumpets.Don't really know ,just what I remember .
Dave Grieve
My wife and I still argue about it, I call what I make pancakes but she calls them Crepes with sugar and lemon juice , she makes what she calls pancakes, no sugar and I call them crumpets wink.gif
bilbo.s
Oh dear, Dave. You must come from Newton Mearns. In Scotland a pancake is approx 1cm thick and about 8cm in diameter and you eat them with butter or jam. An English pancake is more like a French crepe. Scottish crumpets are a thinner and bigger version of Scots pancakes and are usually spread with jam and rolled up to eat. In England a crumpet is something else again and can mean different things in different areas and can be called different names like " pikelet" - usually toasted and spread with butter.

I have not been in US but I believe their pancakes are more similar to Scottish ones. My mother was a dab hand at pancakes and we loved whwn she made a batch - she had a job keeping up with us eating them. She also made what she called a creashy (sic) pancake ( I suppose it meant " greasy"), where the normal batter was poured into the frying pan until full and fried each side. This was great either sweet and savoury - I once made one for breakfast covered in curried baked beans! Deeeeeeeelishus !
Elma
Interesting conversation yes.gif What you call pancakes in Glasgow we called drop scones in Dumfriesshire. They are sweet like Glasgow pancakes and my grandsons love them!
We had our Pancake Supper for Shrove Tuesday at our Church this week, the men cook everything. It was delicious as usual, we had bacon, sausages and scrambled egg with our pancakes and maple syrup. thumbup.gif
mlconnelly
I think American pancakes are made with buttermilk. Mary laugh.gif
gardenqueen
Well, they all taste too good anyway.

Talking of buttermilk, I have made two soda bread loaves today, using buttermilk. Not too bad, even if I say so myself.

I have been looking after my grandson today (two and a half years old). The weather was fine so we went out to the shed I loosely call my summerhouse and sorted out some toys then had a drink and a biscuit at the table and chairs in there. He has only recently started talking and said, "Grandma, I like it in here". Mind you, he likes anywhere there is a drink and biscuit involved.

We went indoors and I made a fabric bunny with him which he has happily taken home now.

Sitting down to dinner in a minute.
angel

nice that you had a lovely day with your young grandson , GQ .
In my family I no longer have young grandchildren , the youngest now coming up on 15yrs of age . my , how time fly's mellow.gif

Yesterday I bought a small chicken and made stock with it and today I
made a pot of chicken veg. soup with noodles plus the chicken meat
so this will be or supper tonight , small Italian crusty rolls and baked rice for dessert ,
and lunch was scotch pies with beans / peas. cheers , Pat

Heather
I love the Pancakes you get in America with the sachets of syrup you pour over the pancakes. The pancakes are as light a sponge and the syrup just seeps right into them

When I am over in America visiting my sister, a visit to the Reo Diner for pancake is a must.

I also like when out for a meal, the waitress comes over and refills your cup of tea/coffee at no extra charge.
You can also get a doggie bag to take home the leftovers of the meal you enjoyed, but too full up to finish.
bilbo.s
Heather, My wife is not a big eater and quite often requests a doggie bag here in Spain. Exactly one week ago we were in an Indian restaurant in Kent Road, just across from the Mitchell Library and we came away with a bag full of pakoras, samosas and onion bhajis, as the platter served as starters was enormous.

One American custom which I can commend ! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.