Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
Dylan I was going to ask you what a shuman bean was, then the penny dropped. laugh.gif

They don't have shuman beings on switchboards these days, only robots. yes.gif
gardenqueen
Mugdock Bank, that took me back a bit, DavidT. When I was a teenager, if I had a friend or boyfriend with a car, we used to drive there on a summer evening. Also, the Duckbay (?) Marina. We were lucky to have such places not too far away from us.

Quick catch up on what I've been up to. Went up to Clapham Common on Sunday to have lunch with relatives. A beautiful, sunny day and people were sitting outdoors in the pubs and restaurants but we knew we should make the most while it lasted.

Yesterday my Headteacher friend (it's half term) drove us to Xscape in Milton Keynes where we watched the crowds on the dry ski slope, had coffee then went to see a random film - Cuban Fury which we did not enjoy at all. Afterwards we had a nice pasta in Ask restaurant and came home.

Today I will be looking after my three grandchildren and the two boys will be staying overnight. 5 year old Lilia will be here again tomorrow morning and I will be having them all again on Thursday. I'm nervous as tonight will be the first time I have had both boys (four and a half and two and a half) to stay the night without their parents staying too. I am going round the house and their room checking for hazards everywhere.

Funny how I could teach and look after a class of schoolchildren and think nothing of it but get nervous having two little ones stay the night, lol.

It is dull and wet here so will probably be stuck indoors with the children. We have a shed which is converted into a summerhouse/playroom which I may have to resort to for a change of scene for them but the garden is mucky although the room is dry inside.

Have a great day, everyone.
mlconnelly
Good luck Gardenqueen. I had my friends 3 grandkids staying with me a couple of weeks ago. The 2 boys, 12 and 7, have stayed several times over the years but it was a 1st for their sister who's 18 months. My solution is to let them trash the place and then tidied up before they go to bed, then start the whole thing again next day until they go home. Then you sit back with something large and strong and relax. Mary laugh.gif
gardenqueen
Mary, I do exactly that, a big mess at the moment, every toy in the house out but they are having fun anyway. All three tucking into spag bol right now, so you can imagine the mess but that's ok. Will have to pass on the glass of something strong though as I have had a headache since the weekend - sinuses, so will make do with a cup of Horlicks this time round.

I am hoping I have exhausted them enough to ensure a good night's sleep as I hate my sleep being disturbed.
lubbock
Anyone know the name of a film seen it a few years ago on telly It's about two girls cycling in france and one goes missing, it was quite tense and the possible suspect may have been a cop? ..cheers
bilbo.s
"And Soon the Darkness" (1970) with Pamela Franklin & Michele Dotrice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065398/?ref_=nm_knf_i2
lubbock
Now wer'e talking thanking you...I'll see if it's available on dvd..
bilbo.s
QUOTE (lubbock @ 18th Feb 2014, 08:29pm) *
Now wer'e talking thanking you...I'll see if it's available on dvd..

5.61 on Play.com. Mind you get the right one, as there's anurra wan wi' same title.
Heather
Lubbock, try Amazon, there is a good chance they will have it if it's on DVD.

I finished knitting a baby sweater today and now have it almost stitched together.

Mary, GQ, I have a utility room and when the g'children were young we kept their toys in there.
They called it the playroom, although they seldom played in there, their toys were scattered all over the sitting room.

Now when they come round they bring their latest gadgets, and sit and play with them or talk to their friends, we hardly get a word out of them. wub.gif
Changed days.
gardenqueen
Knitting for a baby, how lovely..... I might try that again one day if there is a need, fingers crossed. Hand knitted outfits are so much nicer than some of the things you see today. Bring back too, the little flannette gowns babies used to wear for the first six or so weeks.

Well, the pair of them are in their beds (one in a travel cot that is always up in the little room). They played me up about going to bed, every excuse under the sun, lol. "I can't find my precious teddy" etc. etc.

They don't know I am sitting in the room next door listening to their antics but they seem to be settling down now - one hour past their normal bedtime.

But, so far, so good.

Going to watch The Great British Sewing Bee now.
Heather
Now GQ, you really did not expect them to go to bed and fall asleep right away, did you. laugh.gif

I'm knitting for a friend of mine who is going to be a gran for the first time. She is not a knitter.

Yes I remember the baby gowns, they were so handy and easy to wash.

That is the second wee sweater I have knitted, I also knitted a wee fancy jacket.

I gave away all my baby patterns a long time ago, so I don't have much choice. The other patterns I still have are for toddlers.

I have an Aran pattern for a pram blanket so I might knit that next as it really is nice, but a lot of work.
gardenqueen
Heather, no, I suppose I didn't really think they would go down easily and I got off quite lightly, considering. Little one fell asleep first, across the travel cot so will no doubt be moving around later. The older one was lying there talking to himself, counting, 21, 20......, it was funny, I don't know what he was counting, maybe sheep?

It is a great skill you have to be able to do complicated knitting. I can knit but nothing fancy. I would love to learn to crochet as I love those granny square blankets. I bought one the other day at the Hospice shop for 8.50. All that work (they have a craft group that knits for them) for that price.

One day I will learn to crochet.

By the way, I think you can buy older style knitting patterns on Ebay if you wanted to.
Heather
GQ, knitting Aran is easy, just follow the pattern.

I'm not good with the crochet either. I just do the plain ordinary kind we did as children.

I use up the odd wool I'm left with and either knit mitts or crochet the big square's. When the g'daughters were young they took them for blankets for their dolls prams.

My mother in law was great at the crochet, she made lovely fancy baby jackets and never used a pattern. wub.gif
mlconnelly
On the train last year going down to Kent, the girl sitting next to me showed me how to crochet a hyperbolic ball. I love travelling by train, you never know who you'll meet. GQ my friends daughter is learning to crochet by watching youtube. Mary biggrin.gif
gardenqueen
Mary, what's a hyperbolic ball and should I have one? LOL.

Great that you did learn to crochet. I have just ordered a step by step guide from The Works as well as a Broons guide to gardening - the mind boggles - but I won't combine both hobbies just yet.

You tube is great. I saved myself a plumber's fee by learning how to plumb in my washing machine.
TeeHeeHee
New fence erected; single handed, 6 months ago ... and very happy biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Middle of the night after last Thursday's storm ... and not at all happy sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Quick solution tongue.gif

Click to view attachment

So, now you know what I'm doing today ... now that the rain's stopped (rolleyes)

mlconnelly
GQ, its hard to explain but you've probably seen one on a babys hat, something similar to a pompom in shape but ruffled instead of the normal fringe effect of a pompom. I'll dig mines out and post a photo. Mary
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 19th Feb 2014, 11:17am) *
... I'll dig mines out and post a photo. Mary

Gold or coal? laugh.gif

Sorry Mary, couldn't resist ... and had to get in before Bilbo tongue.gif
bilbo.s
[quote name='TeeHeeHee' date='19th Feb 2014, 02:56pm' post='3655137']
Gold or coal? laugh.gif

[/quote
Tomi,

I have not been following this thread (?) about knitting and crochet, although I was a dab-hand at the former until attaining an age when it drew askance looks and hurtfully disparaging remarks, forcing me to put away my trusty needles for ever.
bilbo.s
[quote name='TeeHeeHee' date='19th Feb 2014, 02:56pm' post='3655137']
Gold or coal? laugh.gif

[/quote
Tomi,

I have not been following this thread (?) about knitting and crochet, although I was a dab-hand at the former until attaining an age when it drew askance looks and hurtfully disparaging remarks, forcing me to put away my trusty needles for ever, in favour of more manly pursuits such as boozing.

BTW there appears to be a young man on another thread, much in need of your professional therapy, although I fear a lobotomy may be the only answer. laugh.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 19th Feb 2014, 10:17am) *
GQ, its hard to explain but you've probably seen one on a babys hat, something similar to a pompom in shape but ruffled instead of the normal fringe effect of a pompom. I'll dig mines out and post a photo. Mary

I think I know what you mean, Mary, but a photo would be nice though don't go to any trouble.

gardenqueen
Just returned from a very quick trip to town where I had to deliver my granddaughter to her other granny. Totally exhausted from lack of sleep last night (from 3am till I got up at 7am) through having a bad migraine and a four year old with a nightmare. All three children this morning for breakfast through to lunch. Got them all again tomorrow but at least my head feels better.

So, my quick trip into town found me looking for Cadbury's creme eggs (my passion), drawing out money I owed my other half, paying in a cheque I got unexpectedly from Premium Bonds (25), picked up an online order from M&S of t-shirts and pyjamas as presents for the little ones and a (much reduced) Darth Vader outfit from Argos. Oh yes, and I had to post my two yearly bowel cancer screening test.

All this took less than an hour and now I will rest for the rest of the day so I am up for tomorrow's hectic day with the children.

Can't even risk a drink in case it makes my head bad again.

Hope you are all having a good one. I can't help but thinking that at least I know my day has to be better than that of the poor person who has to check those samples, bless them, lol.
angel

Tee , that's very nice fencing , a shame it came down
but maybe you should cement in the posts come the spring when the ground will be softer . wub.gif Pat .
angel
I see that you are having a rough time GQ,
but it will pass , Take it easy .

I've spent a little time today , trying to
get the hang of a laptop that I have recently
aquired from my son sad.gif but I will have to spend
a little more time with it .
My grandson will be here tonight for supper ,
so I'm hoping he can help me . smile.gif Pat.
angel

Good morning Mary hope you are having a good day biggrin.gif Pat
norrie123
Hi Tee Hee Hee, no luck angry.gif
Still, as long as nothing else was damaged

Bye for now, norrie
mlconnelly
Tee, even your bad jokes make me smile as intended tongue.gif. Sorry to see what happened to your fence.

GQ, had a bit of an clear out and now can't find anything so here's a photo instead. Mary

Click to view attachment
gardenqueen
That's really lovely, Mary. I used to have an evening shawl (knitted) which had ruffles and it reminds me of that. Thanks again.
gardenqueen
QUOTE (angel @ 19th Feb 2014, 03:03pm) *
I see that you are having a rough time GQ,
but it will pass , Take it easy .

I've spent a little time today , trying to
get the hang of a laptop that I have recently
aquired from my son sad.gif but I will have to spend
a little more time with it .
My grandson will be here tonight for supper ,
so I'm hoping he can help me . smile.gif Pat.

Pat, I am feeling a lot better now, thanks. I really wanted to eat a lot today for some reason so ended up having a Cornish pastie for lunch and have just had chilli and ginger fishcakes for tea and somehow my headache is fading by the minute.

I hope you soon get the hang of your laptop and that you enjoy having your grandson there for supper.
Jupiter
Having a quiet wee day happy in the news that I just got the all clear after a wee health scare.Raising a glass of orangeade to the NHS staff who carried out the tests(not the most pleasant I may add) but here I am hoping I can pick a few nags that are winners to complete a great day. biggrin.gif
Can I also urge any of our male posters in Scotland to take advantage of the screening tests that are on offer.

It could make a difference.
ashfield
Glad you got good news Jupiter smile.gif .

As for screening, I do take advantage of whatever is offered (which is not gey much huh.gif )
gardenqueen
Enjoying watching my grandchildren having tea and biscuits.

They will be going home later this afternoon and we get the day off tomorrow but I have enjoyed having them for the past few days.

Tried to put a photo on here from Photobucket but can't get the hang of the privacy settings so have taken it off for the moment.
norrie123
Hi jupiter, glad to hear your good news
I have not been offered any screening, should I have been offered it?

Bye for now, Norrie
Jupiter
Norrie if you are over 55 your surgery Well Man clinic will give you details of whats available
Jupiter
Norrie if you are over 55 your surgery Well Man clinic will give you details of whats available
Heather
Another wet windy day here today.

I did the shopping then spent the rest of the day reading Susan Boyle life story.

I read it a while ago, but I have not been to the Library for a while, so have been re-reading all my books.

I did intend going to the Wool Shop in the Gallowgate, but the bad weather put me off. It was so windy and me being a wee slim person I could have got blown away, so I got a taxi to the Supermarket and back.
ashfield
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 20th Feb 2014, 06:40pm) *
Hi jupiter, glad to hear your good news
I have not been offered any screening, should I have been offered it?

Bye for now, Norrie

Norrie, at Jupiter says, all men 55 and over should be getting a two yearly screen for bowel cancer. If you''re not on it you should speak to your Doctors practice about it.
gardenqueen
Lovely, sunny day here in Hertfordshire. After a busy week, I am going to chill out for a few days, getting the house sorted, washing etc. Hoping to get it outside to dry for the first time this year.

Have a good one, everybody.
Heather
GQ. you are very lucky to have sunshine. It is wet, windy and cold here in Glasgow.

So no change in our weather. I have never known so much rain as we have had this Winter. Roll on the Spring.
bilbo.s
Heather, Dae Sumfin! We fly into Prestwick Wednesday an' a cannae find ma liberty bodice or ma galoshes. sad.gif
Heather
Bill, I can't give you a liberty bodice, but I can loan you my thermal vest, long thermal pants and garden wellies. laugh.gif
gardenqueen
QUOTE (Heather @ 21st Feb 2014, 02:38pm) *
GQ. you are very lucky to have sunshine. It is wet, windy and cold here in Glasgow.

So no change in our weather. I have never known so much rain as we have had this Winter. Roll on the Spring.

I know we are lucky, Heather, I saw the weather map for Britain on tv. It has been really sunny all day but cold and very windy. I have just taken in my washing - changed all the beds and now it is all dry and smells lovely. Funny, my daughter in law always uses the tumble dryer to dry hers as she hates the smell of washing that has been dried outdoors. I can't believe that, it is one of life's pleasures and free! The smell takes me right back to when I was young and used to fetch in my mum's washing from the line. There is nothing like climbing into bed with fresh smelling sheets, in my opinion. I hate using the tumble dryer. Not to mention the expense.

I hope the weather improves where you are. Looks like a mixed bag here and in Glasgow for the weekend, a bit of sun on Saturday before (yet) more rain on Sunday. How long will it be before we have a hose pipe ban here in the South East?

Heather
GQ, when I bought the Washing Machine we have now, I deliberately bought one without a Tumble Dryer. I hang the clothes to dry on the pulley we have in the utility room. Saves me a some money on Electricity Bills.
When the weather is nice I open the back door to let the fresh air in. smile.gif

Canny Scot that I am. laugh.gif
gardenqueen
Heather, I use clothes horses, backs of chairs, anywhere that I can hang stuff rather than use the tumbler. I find it often dries overnight that way. Tumble dryers knock the life out of fabrics. I would love to have a pulley in my utility room but the previous owners put in some sort of fancy light thing that takes up a lot of space. It used to be the kitchen before they built the kitchen extension so I have to walk through it to get to my kitchen so I like to keep it tidy and a pulley would help.

They call them Sheila Maid's these days and people hang dried herbs or pots and pans on them, lol. I would use mine for washing but meanwhile I have to add it to the list of things to be done (saved for).
bilbo.s
We had a pulley over the bath back in Scotland, but it took forever to dry things, as the house was so cold in winter.

It is so great here. Even in winter I can hang out a washing on the terrace and it is dry in a few hours. I once did 3 washes in one day- mind you that was in summer. Also, we have never used an iron in over 6 years - clothes dry crease-free. I used to hate winter in Scotland, as we ended up drying clothes on hangers by the fireside.
TeeHeeHee
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 19th Feb 2014, 05:35pm) *
Hi Tee Hee Hee, no luck ...
Still, as long as nothing else was damaged

Bye for now, norrie

Norrie, compared to all that the poor residents south of the border down in Rab's area and beyond are havin' to contend with, a fence being blown down seems somehow trivial. The only real damage was to my conscience; I should have renewed the superstructure when I replaced the old fence with the new but decided against to save time and effort rolleyes.gif
That's what happens when you try to save time when the sun shines ... up to yer eyes in it when the wind blows tongue.gif
I told Mary I'd strip it down again this summer and do it right.
She says I should wait till next summer when the fence'll need a new coat of varnish.
Good idea hen ... if the storm doesn't get it again. laugh.gif
Heather
GQ / Bill we have a radiator in the utility room so clothes are dry by the next day. It is also off the dining room and we leave the door open to let the heat through so we don't always need the radiator on.

We also have a clothes horse which is handy if I wash a lot of clothes, especially when the bedding gets washed.

GQ, why not get an Electrician to move the light.

When we were first married we had a room & kitchen with a long hall. My husband took the hall ceiling light down and put in wall lights, so the pulley was moved from the kitchen to the hall.
gardenqueen
Heather, we also have a radiator but, for some reason, that part of the house doesn't get very warm. The kitchen extension has a vaulted ceiling with velux windows and relies upon the small radiator in the former kitchen to heat the whole area.

The trouble is, we have a lot of things that need to be done so have to give priority to some things more than others.

We have several lists and wish lists but now that we are both retired, we have to take our time and get things done, slowly. The trouble is, meanwhile, the list gets longer. We will get there in the end. Unfortunately, my husband isn't into diy. There are several electrical jobs that need doing so maybe moving the light could be done at the same time.

We will get there, eventually.
Heather
GQ, my husband was a Plumber & Gas fitter. He served his apprenticeship with a Housing Co. then worked in the Shipyards and got a lot of advice from the Electricians and Joiners.

He was very good at DIY and did a lot of work in any house we lived in, but now he is not able, getting too old.

When we moved to this house 27 years ago, he ripped the kitchen out and re-fitted it himself.
When we got it re-fitted again, a couple of years ago, it choked him to have to pay for it. sad.gif

He is no longer Corgi qualified, so can't do any gas work.
gardenqueen
Heather, I can imagine your husband's frustration at no longer being able to do such things for himself.

My husband has no interest in anything like that and would, if I let him, get someone in to change a light bulb, wire a plug and such like. I will usually have a go at things myself, if I can. I recently painted my bedroom rather than get a decorator in but I think now, at 62, it won't be happening again as I suffer from dizziness through an ear problem.

He is very good at getting someone in, I must say, and always looks in Which Magazine for local recommended tradesmen. My trouble is that I am impatient and just want to get jobs done quickly. We have been in this house for 3 years and have had a lot done but there is always more to be done. In the old (working) days, we would just have increased the mortgage to pay for work but now that is paid off, we wouldn't let ourselves get into debt so either have to save for jobs to be done or use savings which we are reluctant to do, just in case.

Property prices here are on the up again and it is important to have things done to a high standard. We don't intend to move for a while yet but will, eventually have to downsize as the garden is too big for us really.

When we do move, we will have to start all over again with renovations probably unless we are lucky enough to find something exactly to our taste. I like period properties rather than new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.