Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Rab
I took my 'NESSIE' to the Lake this afternoon and had a great couple of hours fun. She had her photie taken dozens of times!
She was pestered by a Puffer but soon left it behind.

Click to view attachment
mlconnelly
Heather a friend of mine had a similar problem with B. Gas. It seems they will try every trick in the book not to pay back money. The money is legally yours and every company who has been over paid has a legal obligation to return that over-payment. Some times they just need to be reminded of the legalities of the situation and that 4 months is an unacceptable amount of time to wait for your own money. Good luck. Mary
norrie123
Hi Heather, its British Gas, the credit would fritter away in my bank and gets no interest

Bye for now, norrie
Rab
Hardly worth the bother Heather, with interest rates on current accounts so low - as Norrie suggests. Click to view attachment You could always blow it on a couple of fish suppers! laugh.gif
Heather
Rab, I don't like fish suppers. True, I never eat them.

RBS have stopped paying Interest on Current Accounts. So if I have quite a few pounds in my Current Account, I transfer it in my Interest paying Account.
angel

I've been outside this morning shoveling the snow from the back door round to the garage , also the front of the house to keep the steps and path
clear for the mailman and paper boy , meanwhile the snow plough
came down the road and now I am ploughed in again .
Well I'll just tackle that job later , who knows maybe by some miracle
it just might melt . smile.gif
Heather
Poor Angel, having to clear all that snow. Buy yourself a Snow Blower.

It's not too cold here today, but we get a few rain drops now and then.
angel

Hi heather , I do have a snow blower , thank goodness !

my son will be here tomorrow with his truck to take it for it's winter
servicing , its a bit much for me to get it into the boot of the car
cheers , Pat smile.gif

toerag
Just wanted to wish all our American Friends a very Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all enjoy your turkey.....and your black Friday shopping lol!!
bilbo.s
Just diagnosed this morning with an enlarged heart. Strange that nobody had remarked on my big-heartedness up until now. Been hiding my light under a bushel as usual. Modest to a fault !

Anyhow, after an ECG and X-ray, I have an appointment with the cardiologist on 10th December. How's that compared to UK ?

Never been superstitious, but 2013 is getting to me.
Heather
Bill, sorry to hear your bad news, but I'm sure your Cardiologist will be able to sort you out.

I'm not superstitious either, but 2013 has not been great for me health wise.

I was at the Hospital on Wednesday for tests and now I'm waiting for another Appointment for a neck & throat scan, a brain scan, ( no comments please) lol.
angel
Well Heather , after our snowstorm several days ago ,
the snow is still lying but we have had a beautiful
winter day , today , clear blue sky's and not very cold ,
actually quite pleasant .
Today is Black Friday " lots of great sale prices , I got a terrrific
deal on a new TV. about $90 dollars off of the regular price
also window blinds and " Paper towels " laugh.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to , wee Mags' and Ria . Cheers biggrin.gif Pat,
Heather
Angel, is that you treating yourself to some Christmas Present's with a new TV and blinds?
Is the old TV going into another room?

I hope you have stopped shovelling all that snow.

I hope all you American's had a Happy Thanksgiving.

My sister was busy cooking and baking for a family Thanksgiving dinner.
I have not had an email from her today, she is probably in recovery. laugh.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (toerag @ 29th Nov 2013, 07:04am) *
Just wanted to wish all our American Friends a very Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all enjoy your turkey.....and your black Friday shopping lol!!

Thank you toerag!
wellfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 29th Nov 2013, 11:55am) *
Just diagnosed this morning with an enlarged heart. Strange that nobody had remarked on my big-heartedness up until now. Been hiding my light under a bushel as usual. Modest to a fault !

Anyhow, after an ECG and X-ray, I have an appointment with the cardiologist on 10th December. How's that compared to UK ?

Never been superstitious, but 2013 is getting to me.

I'm sure you'll be OK, my younger brother found out about his enlarged heart after a chest x-ray for a cough......had surgery and all is well...good luck Bilbo.
Dave Grieve
Sorry to hear it Bill but Iam sure you will come through it OK thumbup.gif
bilbo.s
Thanks to all for the good wishes . smile.gif
ashfield
I wish you well as well Bill, ok well smile.gif
bilbo.s
Aye, awright, pal. Cheers !
norrie123
Hi Bilbo.s hope all will be OK for you

Bye for now, norrie
bilbo.s
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 30th Nov 2013, 04:05pm) *
Hi Bilbo.s hope all will be OK for you

Bye for now, norrie

Thanks, Norrie. I am having to reconsider my long-held belief about my immortality. rolleyes.gif
serabash
my thoughts are with you bilbo and hope the docs can sort it out for you. all the best.x
bilbo.s
Thanks Sera. I am sure I will get good medical attention here.
Heather
The weather is mild, but dreich here today.

I will have to get a move on and get into Town to start the Christmas shopping.

I have my Christmas Cards as I always buy them in the Chapel, so I will have to start writing them out, especially the one's for abroad.
angel

I just reheated some lasagna from yesterday for lunch today .

Heather , I no longer send as many christmas cards as I once did
most are now by email and Skype ,
I did on Saturday buy my younger son a new winter jacket
for christmas , but I do suspect that It will be returned .
HE HAS NO TASTE IN CLOTHES . laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Heather
Angel I was in the Town this morning and bought my husband a warm padded Winter jacket.

I tried to get the g'children's present's, but out of the ten items on their lists I could only get four of them. So I will have to resort to buying them from Amazon.

I have to laugh at the TV Advert, ' Glasgow loves Christmas'. I was right along Argyle Street and you could count on your one hand how many shops are decorated for Christmas, and no where did I see any Merry Christmas banners.
The hypocrisy of those shops sicken me. They forget that the people they want to buy their Christmas goods are those who do celebrate Christmas.

How times have changed. and getting worse every year. Well we must not offend certain Immigrants by mentioning the word Christmas. ohmy.gif
norrie123
Hi Heather, MERRY CHRISTMAS biggrin.gif

I am in no doubt that most folk have no problem with us celebrating Christmas, its the ones that presume they do have a problem, that are the problem

Bye for now, norrie
DavidT
I have to agree with Norrie. The fear of someone being offended is real. People taking actual offence at our religious feasts are few and far between. Fear is your enemy.
Betsy2009
Particularly as so many immigrants are Christian and/or celebrate Xmas too.
Heather
So why are our shops so bare of Christmas Decorations and why do we never hear any Christmas Songs/ Carols being played and no Merry/ Happy Christmas signs.

Think about the way our Town was Decorated up to a few years ago and Christmas Music being played every where we went.
bilbo.s
As everyone here is saying, Heather, the immigrants are not to blame. I know of many non-Christians, both in UK and here in Spain, who enjoy the celebrations. Even we atheists join in ! All the Moroccan kids here, ( and there are many) love the Christmas season. I have never heard of anyone being offended . The ones causing all the trouble are all the pc mob, who wrongly think that offence will be caused to minorities, or else, more sinisterly, darker forces determined to stir up hatred.
angel
QUOTE (DavidT @ 3rd Dec 2013, 04:11pm) *
I have to agree with Norrie. The fear of someone being offended is real. People taking actual offence at our religious feasts are few and far between. Fear is your enemy.

during this time of year , when I go shopping , it does'nt matter if I am being served by a
Christian , or not ?? , " also face covered and or head " I always say merry
Christmas and so far they have answer'd me in the same manner or with a polite nod
and a smile . smile.gif

ashfield
I'd love to know where all these shops are that don't have Christmas decorations up or are not playing Christmas music................I can't get away from it all laugh.gif

Seriously though, I do think some shops toned it down a bit at the weekend as a mark of respect.
Heather
Well Ash, if you had been down Argyle Street today you would have seen them.

What was the excuse last year?
Betsy2009
I've been to a Buddhist festival and Diwali a few times and people of various religions have joined me for Xmas so what's the difference?
Heather
What a terrible day. I got up this morning to the wind and rain battering off the windows.
When I went out about 9'30 I nearly got blown away.
My husband said it was the same during the night, but I never heard a thing.

The taxi driver I got home from the shop's told me that some debris was blown onto the glass roof in the Central Station and the roof shattered. People in the Station had to be cleared out.

Apparently there has been quite a few accidents with the strong wind.

We had some snow a short time ago, but it did not last long.
angel
good morning Heather , glad you got back home in one piece .

our weather is calm but with some rain , heavy clouds but
mild Temps .
Tomorrow , I will probably have to move out again , my kitchen is finally being renovated tomorrow , don't know how long that will last .
O" happy days , cheers Pat ,
Heather
Angel, at least your getting there and the house will soon be all sorted out.

So does that men a long shopping trip tomorrow or a visit to Lapland to see Santa. laugh.gif

This morning I posted off my Christmas cards for America, Australia, England and some for Glasgow.

I still have a lot more to write out, but I bought plenty Postage Stamps to save me waiting in a queue at the Post Office.
Heather
Angel, at least your getting there and the house will soon be all sorted out.

So does that mean a long shopping trip tomorrow or a visit to Lapland to see Santa. laugh.gif

This morning I posted off my Christmas cards for America, Australia, England and some for Glasgow.

I still have a lot more to write out, but I bought plenty Postage Stamps to save me waiting in a queue at the Post Office again.
Heather
OOPS

I thought I had double vision there. wub.gif
Heather
Angel, is your kitchen finished yet and are you pleased with it?

It's a cold wet miserable day today here in Glasgow.
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 5th Dec 2013, 05:21pm) *
OOPS

I thought I had double vision there. wub.gif

Heather , that's O.K , I did'nt hear you the first time biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 7th Dec 2013, 02:04pm) *
Angel, is your kitchen finished yet and are you pleased with it?

It's a cold wet miserable day today here in Glasgow.

Heather , it is a very lovely day here , temp around - 3 or 4 C'
beautiful blue sky's and wind very calm.

I am home today to survey yesterday's work done in my kitchen ,
the couple of cupboards that survived the fire and what was left of
the countertop , also sink and bottom cupboads are now gone ,
the trademen will come " I HOPE "
Monday to repair the damaged walls . and so on and so forth , anyway I have been told that I will have a fully functional kitchen by christmas , many thanks for asking Heather , God less . Pat .

angel

Monday to repair the damaged walls . and so on and so forth , anyway I have been told that I will have a fully functional kitchen by christmas , many thanks for asking Heather , God less . Pat .

Heather , I truly meant . " God Bless "

Heather
Angel, that's good news.

The SSVP in our Chapel have set up a Jesse Tree with anonymous tags on it to give some deserving person in the Parish a Christmas gift.

The tags just say, male/ female senior citizen. The tags have a number on the back, so the SSVP will have a list with the name and whom the number refers to.
We pick a tag and buy a gift, wrap it up and leave it under the tree with the tag on it and the SSVP will deliver the gifts at Christmas.

I think it is a lovely thing to do.
Elma
It is a lovely thing to do, Heather. Our food bank here put Christmas trees in some of our local stores and banks with tags that state 'Boy age ? or 'Girl age ?' ages from 2 to 18. People take the tag and bring an appropriate gift back to the store. Every gift is given away with the food basket for the family before Christmas.
At our church we have a toque and mitten tree, we gather these items and send them to the local transition house. We also have our Memory Tree, no gifts but on the decorated tree we put tags with the names of our loved ones who have passed on, the Minister dedicates the tree just before Christmas. Today I added the tags for my husband and son.
Heather
I spent the day in Town doing more Christmas shopping. Now I only have 2/3 presents to buy and I will get them next week.

The Town was busy and McDonalds where I usually go when in Town for a cheese burger and a cup of tea, was very busy.
angel
hi Heather , I had a very nice afternoon , although bitterly cold ,
brilliant sunshine but with the wind -13"cel.

I was at St. Patricks school this afternoon to see the christmas concert
done by the kindergarten and the grade 1s and 2 student 's ,
" 4 to 7 yr olds , " , it was such a treat , seeing and hearing these youngsters
singing the chrismas Carols and songs , also "signing " at the same time ,
it was just wonderful and no one gave a damn who sung off key
or as flat as a flounder , Ha Ha ! ,

A great time had by all and especially the children and ME . biggrin.gif
Heather
Angel I always enjoy the Children's Carol Service.

I usually go and see our Primary School Carol Service, but so far I have heard nothing about it. Maybe I missed it.

I still have three Christmas Presents to buy. I do not have a clue what to get our son. I asked the g'son but he was no wiser. I think I will just give him money.
Heather
I couldn't help laughing yesterday when I read in the Newspaper the SNP had let the School's down by allowing 23 children to each Classroom.
Apparently the number should be lower for children to be properly Educated.

In my School days there were at least 35 children in a class and it did us no harm, probably because there was more discipline in the School's in those days.
I know from experience some Teachers should never have been allowed in a Classroom, especially in Primary School, but there were some good kind Teachers, they were not all bullies and strap happy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.