Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
norrie123
Just saw my Range Cooker off on a van to its new owner
I was going to dump it but the kitchen surveyor told me about Gumtree, great site I had 5 replies and the first one bought it

Now what else have I got to sell biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 8th Nov 2013, 03:33pm) *
Hi Dave Grieve, crikey my power bills would sore if my house was like that, its bad enough as it is.
Loft is insulated, walls have Cavity Insulation,we also have Double Glazing and Central Heating

Bye for now, Norrie

My last house I insulated the loft but that was more to try and keep the heat down inside the house, it did Help in the winter but many a night my wife and I spent under a blanket watching TV biggrin.gif
jakka13
Hi Ronaldk.Just noticed your post amongst all the others bleatherin about coffee .Just wanted to welcome you to the boards .Spend some time searching around .I never did find anyone I knew but found lots of new friends to make up for the ones I lost .Cheers jakka
RonaldK
Hi Jakka 13 living here in NZ you just don't get really cold, unless you live in the south of the south island. So thought I would change the subject. Nice to be noticed and it's good to meet new people.
norrie123
Hi ronaldK, welcome to GG
I too joined several web sites including FB to find folk from way back, did find some from that time but more new friends were made
Enjoy the board

Bye for now, norrie
petunia
Going to Remembrance Day service in my town as I do every year, hail rain or shine (normally always rain) as it is today. Lest We Forget
possilboy
hi Norrie we have a site over called trade me I have made a few bob selling I got five thousand dollars for this ashtray which I bought for forty dollars twenty years ago an ossie bought it for his collection as it was wembly ware
norrie123
Hi possilboy, well that was a good deal
I still have a stereo on Gumtree but Im not getting any enquiries, guess it will have to go into the garage

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, where Jessie lives in New Jersey it is very warm and everyone and especially the shops have Air Conditioning. Of course it is cold in the Winter with lots of snow, but Tommy has some kind of snow thing that clears away the snow on the drive very quick.

Bill, It's in Italy you have to ask for an American coffee so you get it in a decent size cup and not in a cup the size of one in a children's tea set.

Cold wet and windy all morning, but now the sun is coming out, not that it makes much difference to the temperature.

I am hibernating and have not been out since Mass on Sunday. The weather is too cold for me as I am a hot house plant, so one of my bosses told me years ago if I complained the office was cold. biggrin.gif
norrie123
Hi Heather, well I hope Jessie and Tommy are taking advantage of the warm weather, it will be cold soon enough

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Aye Norrie, they will probably get snowed in, then out will come the Snow Blower.

Tommy grew up in the street where he and Jessie live and there are still some neighbours living there since he was young, they are now elderly, so Tommy goes along the street with the Snow Blower clearing all their drive's and side walks.
In America, the Householders are responsible for keeping the sidewalk ( pavement) in front of their house clear.
norrie123
Hi Heather, my aunt and uncle stayed in Elmira, New York State, I remember them telling me about clearing their driveway and pavement outside the house, they used a blower too
The thought occurred to me, where did the blown snow go biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, I think the snow is piled up in the gardens.
Heather
I had another lazy day. Right now we are watching Taggart, a programme we always enjoy.
norrie123
Hi heather, I should have guessed it wouldnt have been on the road biggrin.gif

Be for now, norrie
angel

Hi Heather , once again I have had a busy day .
The painters were here and started painting the ceilings
and tomorow they come back to give them another coat of paint .
The house looks like a bomb has hit it , coverings all over the floors
and a type of plastic covering , over all the furniture , I thought that
each room would be completed before going onto the next but
this is not the case , all ceilings , then all walls and trim , and as I am
having my living room wallpapered , that will be the last room to be
finished ,
also my new stove has been hooked up and if I ever get the hang of it ,
one of these days I might manage to cook a meal . press buttons for everything , ie . the oven , the broiler , the temps. , plus and minus , etc.
it's nearly as bad as the computer but the top burners ignite with the turn of the knobs , so thats good , I can always boil water . biggrin.gif

What ever happened to matches . tongue.gif

the weather here has turned a good bit colder with high winds
and just some light snow flurries , I hope that you guys are not
already shoveling , anyway , I took the car today and had the
snow tires installed , so thats it all ready for the winter .

also , I thought that I would mention about last Friday when I was getting my driving licence renewed , the woman who was serving me
said , " if I close my eyes I would swear that I was speaking with
MRS DOUBTFIRE . " yes.gif , now I'm not sure if that
is good or bad ,
Cheers , Pat

jakka13
I typed out a reply last night before I went to bed but I guess I forgot to click on add reply.
I had a good long bleather with Boots last night .She sends her love to all .
I had a busy day ,finally got the outdoor lights sorted out so I'll be able to turn them on once Santa arrives here in Toronto on Sunday . thumbup.gif .
We are trying to get a wee meet together for anyone in or around the Toronto area .We are trying for Nov 30th .It will be somewhere near Union Station as some of the members travel into the city by Go Train .If anyone out there would like to join in, reply here or PM me and I'll give details.Right now there's six of us.
norrie123
Hi Jakka13, enjoy your night out
Union Station, I was in Toronto a few years ago and had been hunting for a shop to buy whisky , wine and beer, I hunted all over and stumbled on to a shop in the station where I was able to buy what we wanted

Where do you hide your Liquer stores, under ground?

I liked Toronto, been twice

Bye for now, Norrie
Heather
Angel, by the time your house is finished it will be like a brand new house. So bear up, as in no time at all you will be sitting there like a Queen surveying her Kingdom. smile.gif

Norrie, I have also been in Toronto a few times to visit my cousin who used to live there. I remember being in a Station, I can't remember the name of it, but it had shops as well.
I was visiting my sister in New Jersey and we drove to Canada staying over at Niagara. I still have a sweater I bought there with Niagara on it. rolleyes.gif
norrie123
Hi Heather, it may well have been Union Station, it had shops in it and the very one I was searching for biggrin.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 14th Nov 2013, 01:50pm) *
Angel, by the time your house is finished it will be like a brand new house. So bear up, as in no time at all you will be sitting there like a Queen surveying her Kingdom. smile.gif

Norrie, I have also been in Toronto a few times to visit my cousin who used to live there. I remember being in a Station, I can't remember the name of it, but it had shops as well.
I was visiting my sister in New Jersey and we drove to Canada staying over at Niagara. I still have a sweater I bought there with Niagara on it. rolleyes.gif

Hi Angel,this should make you feel better regarding the work on your house......The place we're moving into is being completely gutted all the way to the wooden frame and the earth below...new walls/ceilings/rework all windows, window sash weights and doors/all new wiring/all new plumbing/all new restored cabinets/sinks/doors/antique door knobs/1920's era tiling in the bathroom,I could go on forever but the reason for this is it's being brought back to it's 1920's glory so everything in the house will be of that era,it's been fun shopping (mostly online) for all the stuff from that era,also the house is located in a historic area of town,half a block from the beach,we're supposed to move in Dec 2nd fingers crossed,thats the day the new owners of our old house move in so we have to move out by then.......hoping you're renovation is finished by now.
angel
Hi Campbell , that sounds just wonderful , I do hope everything goes
according to plan for you .
Now all you have to do is organize a housewarming with a 1920
theme , with all those guest - Flappers dancing up a storm .
Cheers laugh.gif
norrie123
Hi Wellfield, that sounds like a very big project, hope it goes well for you
I would get stressed out with a job that size, our new kitchen was enough for me biggrin.gif

Bye for now norrie
wellfield
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 15th Nov 2013, 02:55pm) *
Hi Wellfield, that sounds like a very big project, hope it goes well for you
I would get stressed out with a job that size, our new kitchen was enough for me biggrin.gif

Bye for now norrie

Hi Angel and Norrie.....it is quite a project but it's a pleasure working with wood etc after the large steelwork projects I've been involved in in my day...take care and thank you.
Heather
I was disgusted to read in the Newspapers today, that a group of Tory MPs want George Osborne to put VAT on food and children's clothing when he makes out his Budget for next year.

It did say that Cameron would be against it.

norrie123
Hi Heather, I stand to be corrected but this has always been on the cards, its an EU thing, as far as I am aware the UK may well be the only EU member that doesnt put vat on childrens clothing or food
Having said that, I was looking at a childrens clothing shop in Trongate the other day 75 for a chllds coat and when I say a child, I mean one that wont get the wear out of it, somebody is ripping the public for childrens clothing

Vat on food, its coming, welcome to the EU

Bye for now, norrie
bilbo.s
http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-...s/eu-vat-rates/

Current European VAT rates. The only EU requirement is that the Standard Rate must be at least 15%.
Other than that, individual member states can fix their own rates and exemptions.
DavidT
Doesn't VAT on food already exist? Remember pastygate or as I think it should have been called...bridiegate
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...avoid-levy.html
norrie123
Hi Bilbo.s, thanks for that link, looks like UK and Malta are the only ones who dont charge vat on food bought from supermarkets etc , the rest have one rate or reduced rates on food and other items
As I said its only a matter of time before Vat goes on food etc
Its one sure way of making us all pay tax or is it

Bye for now, norrie
Betsy2009
I remember a story from long, long ago about a little VAT that would be put on luxury goods (i.e. stuff you wanted but not needed) so you'd have a choice of whether to buy them or not.
Does anyone else remember that little story?
mlconnelly
Has anyone heard from Purplefan lately? He's probably busy packing for his move back to Glasgow but hearing the sad new about Wee Davy made me realise he hasn't posted for a wee while. Mary
Betsy2009
Oh, don't Mary! I too was wondering where Purple was. Perhaps he's moved and is too busy talking to other people at the moment and possibly trying to find work.
mlconnelly
I'm sure he's fine Betsy. If he's already moved he may not have broadband set up yet so I'm sure we'll hear from him soon. Mary yes.gif
Heather
I was really shocked to hear on the News last night and to read in the Newspapers today about three women living in London who were kept as slaves for 30 years.
A Malaysian woman 69 years old, an Irish woman 57 years old and a British woman 30 years old who has never seen the outside world.
It was the Irish woman who rang Freedom Charity Helpline, but it took a few calls before she revealed her story. She and the British woman met the Police who then rescued the Malaysian woman.

A foreign man & woman have been arrested.
I hope they get 30 years in Prison and everything they own sold and the money given to the three woman to help them get settled somewhere else and find some happiness in life.
DavidT
I was also wondering about Purplefan and it probably is that he's in the process of moving. Good luck to him.

Heather, that's a terrible story about the three women locked in a house for 30 years. I wish them well with their new found freedom. I heard the couple got bail. I hope they get the book thrown at them. I think the charity that rescued them do great work.
Betsy2009
Purple is fine. Just rushing back and forth between Manchester and Glasgow trying to get moved. Phew! He'll be back with us soon.
norrie123
I hope they have taken their passports from them
What an awful story, how can this have not come to light for 30 years
Heather
I always think that any immigrant into this Country, if found guilty of a crime should be Deported.
We have enough criminals of our own, we don't need to import any other's from another Country.
Dave Grieve
Wonderful start to the day I have driven a forklift with the mast to high through a roller door and wrecked it its Saturday morning and no chance to get any body out to fix it.

I really need to leave the forklift driving to the forklift drivers angry.gif
norrie123
Hi Dave, woops, thats handy, hope your insured

Bye for now, Norrie
Dave Grieve
Ashamed to say it but I completely forgot that Friday 22.11.13 the same day as Kennedy was shot is the same date that my daughter Linda was born and died this was in 1973 she lived for twelve hours not long but she has never left my heart.
This was ten years after Kennedy so tomorrow my wife and I will make a trip to her gravesite
Betsy2009
Oh Dave, my heart goes out to you.
Heather
Dave that is sad. The loss of a child must be a heartache that never goes away.

Very cold here today. I have radiators on all over the house.

That will please British Gas who sent us a Statement last week to let us know we are 99 in credit, so they reduced our monthly payments by 22.
It would have made more sense to refund the 99 and leave the monthly payment the same. We will probably be in debt by the time Winter is over then they will increase our payments again.
I know that because it has happened before.
mlconnelly
Heather, phone them up and tell them you want your money back and to leave your payments as they are. Mary
norrie123
Dave, sorry for your loss
norrie123
Hi Heather, earlier on this year I was 300 in the red for gas and electric, I have never been as much as that and am normally in credit, I paid off the debit and asked for my payments to be increased
That lasted a month and they reduced them, cant think why
Last gas bill I was 193 in credit and 28 in credit for electricity , wonder how long before I run up another large debit and have to pay it off

Doctors this morning, Sciatica, then off to Costco

Bye for now,norrie
Heather
Mary. I tried phoning British Gas and doing exactly as you said, but could not get to speak to an Advisor, I was continually told they were busy.
I have sent them an email and now waiting for their reply.
I pointed out to them that the 99 was our's not their's.

Norrie is that B. Gas your with? It sounds as I they are mucking your payments about.
angel

hi Heather and Norrie ,
Personally , I take those reductions , gas or hydro ,
better in your bank account than theirs . smile.gif
ashfield
I had a nice wee trip into town today when my Mrs A asked (told) me to accompany her on her shopping mission in Marks and Spencers. She said to let her know if I saw anything interesting, so I did...........the way out rolleyes.gif

Is it rump steak that works on a black eye laugh.gif
Heather
Asking for rump steak will get you another black eye. ohmy.gif

Angel it will take over four month's to recoup the 99. Meanwhile B.Gas have it in their Bank Acc. earning Interest for them. The 99 should be in my Bank Acc. earning Interest for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.