Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
ashfield
Mrs A is taking me to see Peter Gabriel at the Glasgow Hydro tonight. We've gone to his last two concerts at the SECC and both of them were excellent. I am a big fan of his music so I'm looking forward to a great show smile.gif
Purplefan
I have a dose of man flue. sad.gif
So; little as possible.
DavidT
Hope you feel better soon purple.
Ashfield, have a good time at PG concert.
I'm admiring all the autumn colours today, much like witshisname was recently. I've just noticed all the grass on the spare ground has been cut. We must be getting a royal visit or something laugh.gif
Heather
Aye PF, us women know all about 'man flu'. Sneeze once and you have a cold, sneeze a second time and you have the flu. wink.gif

Well you guys would have had a good laugh at me the other day.
I decided to wash the cushion covers and when I took one cover off, the pad underneath was burst and the next thing I knew I was covered in tiny white feathers. I had on a red aran sweater and the feathers were sticking all over me and the floor.
It took a hoover, brush and carpet sweeper to get rid of most of them, but today I am still finding wee feathers here and there. ohmy.gif
norrie123
Hi Heather, time for new cushions, come along to our house, Claire is getting rid of some, colours clash biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, that's us women, we can't have colours clashing.

I have quite a lot of cushions because it is hard nowadays to buy cushion covers. The shops prefer to sell cushions and covers as one item. It really annoys me.

I was going to make some new cushion covers last month, but for some reason my sewing machine is not working. I have had this Singer Sewing Machine for years and never had any bother, but I don't know where in Glasgow a Singer Shop is to have the machine repaired.

Now it is new cushions pads I need. One's without feathers. laugh.gif
mlconnelly
Heather my sewing machine isn't working either so if you find a mechanic will you let me know. There used to be one in the Savoy Centre, the man was so rude and arrogant I walked out. That one has since closed, I wonder why!!! I bought some really nice material at the Forge Market, nice choice of materials and colours as well as good prices. Mary
Heather
Mary, a friend told me there is a Sewing Machine Mechanic in the Forge Market. I have not got around to checking it out as I rarely go down there as it's only opened a few days at the weekend.
I need to give myself a push.

Maybe it's your guy from the Savoy Centre. laugh.gif

We should meet up and check him out together.
mlconnelly
Good idea Heather. biggrin.gif Mary
ashfield
Yoday I'm letting my hearing get back to normal after the concert last night huh.gif Really enjoyed it, with Peter Gabriel on stage for a full two hours, and what a fantastic venue the new Hydro is! One gripe, why do some folk need to shovel drink down their throats at events like this? After a session at one of the many bars, there were guys wandering about, looking for their seats with a pint of lager in each hand. The end result was we were up and down constantly to let folk out to visit the, ahem, facilities.

Me, I stuck to sugar ally water tongue.gif
Purplefan
Reading Alex ferguson autobiography.
I am feeling a bit better david T and Heather thanks for asking.
Heather
PF, behave yourself. laugh.gif
norrie123
First time on PC today, new kitchen is now finished, wee bits of grout to scrape off when dry
Time to relax

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Well done Norrie. laugh.gif

I have not done much today, but I will be making a pot of Minestrone Soup later on. Right now I am watching a film on TV.
Purplefan
well done Norrie.
I might be calling on your services when i move in January. laugh.gif

Jumping up and down with my knickers in the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnb0Fn1_iDc biggrin.gif
norrie123
Pc has been in dock since Saturday, just got it back this afternoon
Still we odds and sods to do in kitchen, got a new stereo and a sound bar on Sunday
Sound bar is great, managed to install it myself biggrin.gif
Denon racking system had to go, got myself a cd, ipod
and dab radio, set up , sounds ok

Gumtree for the Denon

Taking photos for one of my contacts this morning and was in Whitevale High rise , level 29 taking photos with another web group , great views of Glasgow
Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Except for the usual tidying up the house, taking down a washing and putting it away, then hanging up another washing, I have done nothing else.

I did intend to go down the Gallowgate to get more aran wool to knit a couple of children's sweaters, but it was cold and pouring rain, so I stayed home.
peter.howden
Dear Diary;28/10/2013.

The weather man confused me the other morning when describing the fortune of the meteorological conditions he remarked, ‘it’s been wet for the past few days but this will change with following showers’? Is there dry rain about that the phenomenon of the computer cyberspace has created, but more important………. is this me breaking my non grumpy treaty with myself only agreed last week. Everybody makes mistakes however we can see others so clearly when our own we seldom refer too.

I was fortunate to attend a training event last week with the title of ‘Mental health awareness’ a title which has the power to be sceptical about. It was really an introduction for an optional further full, more in depth two day exercises. Contacting Glasgow’s well known ‘Share’ organization I made arrangements to try out this first starter. My reasons for attending this particular subject was to represent Calvay Housing Association but also personal, to learn.

Rebecca and I have a niece, now middle aged, who has had what I thought a condition of mental illness all her life, and I do have, and had friends suffering and coping with this constant mysterious condition. Throughout my life my own observations have seen society locking such distressed souls away with any excuse, sometimes with shame, in special units because they were not deemed normal. This now is seen as having conceivably good intentions but disaster results.

There is now a nationwide theme called ‘Care in the community’ yet people still treat sufferers completely different that of any other physical illness. Shouting at people who show strange symptoms is a common conception of communication appears to be the norm along with total ignoring the individual and asking their companion ‘doe he take sugar’. Perhaps I’m being over harsh with Britain’s population for I have also witnessed concern and wanting in the community for individuals who fall in this group.

The starter was a three hour session which was laid out simply with a simple diagram showing four conclusions between Poor/Positive mental health’s. What really surprised me were lots of what was said and concluded, I knew already, yet like an unfinished jigsaw I had never joined them up. We are so timid of the relatively unknown we will seize on anything to explain, for I always assumed, probably via books and films and headlines from the media ,that Schizophrenia was having a split personality, which is totally untrue for it is a condition where thoughts and perceptions are disordered.

Something’s came to light on a personal field when I recognized such symptoms for Post Traumatic disorder, Psychological and behavioural effects when we all experienced in one form or other after our daughter Toni’s untimely and most unwanted death. Perhaps this awareness alone was the information which can aid me selfishly to adapt to the future.

The last piece of information coming from the discussions was………. there is no such thing as normal. I had always thought this, though almost certainly in a different light, yet this common cognizance discussed around an open table, I believe breathed life into my own sub consciousness. Sometimes you can go through life knowing the correct path or answer but ignore it for the most unknown reason.

Now I am more than keen to attend the second and third schedule and on a personal level, aware now not to be scared because I’m not normal ……………….for we are all individuals.

When I came out of hospital around five years old, having Cerebral Palsy the authorities placed me in a special school down at the bottom of Calder Street, Govanhill, which in the short time I was there I cannot remember any of the teachers or what I was taught, except this boy with crutches persisted in tripping me up with them. . My mother fought like blazes to have me placed in an ordinary school. I was sent to a high class psychologist who would determine if I was mentally stable and suitable. After some word and physical tests he showed me a picture of three Indians attacking one cowboy who had a gun

The shrink analyst asked which dirty Indian the innocent cowboy should shoot. I chose the nearest one to him who was threating his scalp with a tomahawk. On this answer I was given a place in the primary school adjacent to the Clyde side where now stands the proud international court of justice. On reflection of my answer I now could be judge as a racist, a thug murder, a land stealer and a bigot

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
peter.howden

Food for thought

‘No one but a blockhead ever wrote except for money!’ was a whimsy, throw away quote from Dr Samuel Johnston, who may have had tall stature in the dictionary of England but who, as a bairn had the misfortune not only to contract ‘kings evil’ medically termed Scrofula; but far more importantly………was not born a Scot. So with this in mind I am rather fearful to tell of the long forgotten formidable pageant time immemorial tradition

It is well kent within the rough coastlines of Scotland and all the Isles that porridge is not only a staple diet but a necessary in; Sowans, Haggis, Mealy Pudding, Skirlie, Coboc, Bannocks not to mention Gruel and Brose as well. Those and other variations display the versatility of wheat depending on whether grinded as course, Pin or fine. Dr Johnston also quoted about the grain; ‘a grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people. Later on…… Sir Walter Scott, retorted "Yes, and where else will you see such horses and such men?"

The academic ‘Meal Monday’ falls next February 10th which gives this annual student tradition the unique privilege of descending quite appropriately, precisely on the actual date the national imperial ceremonial ‘Quasquicentennial of the ‘Porridge’ which origins are almost before time was known or writing was commonly established.

Throughout its remarkable history, it has had a brutal past with the clashes of the clans inevitable because of the mistrustfulness stirring stramash and fighting for the traditional honour of the carrier of the spurtle……and who had the panache to presents it to his Majesty(Charlie or not) of the day or such ranking royals of Scotland.

According to a scurry rumour, a tattered scroll, in Gaelic, was discovered outlining when this ceremony first took place, with careful study while sipping the water of life it was sought to copy the Ancient Greeks in several themes, akin to the Olympic Games and carrying to torch however the chieftains already used the ‘Fiery Cross’ as the symbol of rising to arms and war, so it would confuse all and sundry. The second point was to perform the peaceful activities and ritual in the altogether but because all warriors disrobed their plaids in warfare this would not create the right image or ambiance.

The object and main source of pride of ‘Quasquicentennial of the Porridge’ and the isolation of this great day is to serve the royal dish, to be shared by all after being organised by commonly digging peat-pots, preparing a meal fit for sovereigns, presenting with ordinary utensils, stirred in saut by a virgin spurtle, to prove we Scots, from Scotland are not all shilpit puddins ………..and unlike Sassenachs are brave beyond any deed or word……….. with salt not sugar

Perhaps it was the unlucky date, 13th’, which fell on Meal Monday last year or some foreign power attempting to disrupt Scottish culture but mayhem erupted as the ceremony reached its climax in Saint Andrews if you please. A reputed gentleman, though through his colours his clan could not be traced, supposedly named Big Mac, …………Bellowed in a uncouth and ferity voice………………not porridge again …………is there no cornflakes?

‘At last it grew and grew, bore and bore at last to grow a gallows’………..some Kidd said ?
norrie123
Hi Peter, fancy meeting you on here

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, I was thinking the same myself about Peter.

Hello there Peter.
norrie123
Hi Heather, I had forgotten Scottish Friends
Heather
Norrie, I wonder where all the Scottish Friends have vanished to.

I remember meeting Peter, yourself and Claire at one of Scottish Friends Meets.

norrie123
Hi Heather, I was in contact with Juniemoon, I have since heard she took a stroke but was recovering, got told that by Susie from OZ, I am still in touch with her.

Not heard from Marg in ages
Possibly they have joined other web sites or just went on to FB

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, I think my sister Jessie still keeps in touch with Karen and her Mum.
angel
I have a busy day ahead of me , I have been up and about since around 5am .
The plasterer will be here to, repair , replace the wall that was gutted in my kitchen by the fire , I can't get the new stove hooked up until the
work has been done on the walls .
The cable co. guy is also comming to check the service to the house ,
" no TV" for the last couple of days ", he says that he will be here between the hours of 9am and 5pm , ' now thats just peachy mad.gif ,

The new kitchen cabinets I ordered are no longer available so their rep. will also be here this afternoon , 2pm for me to find an alternative style ,
at this moment ,I'm thinking that I will shop elsewhere .

This being Halloween , all the little guisers come trick or treating and this usually starts around 5 30 pm and goes on for about 2hrs or so .
So that's my day yes.gif .

Norrie , nice to see that your new kitchen is just about finished , I'm sure that it is just lovely , cheers , smile.gif

Purplefan
Dressing up as a Scottish vampire for halloween.
Heather
Angel, you are certainly up to your ears in it, but it will all be worth it with a lovely new kitchen.
norrie123
Hi heather I only know her as June, hope she is on the mend

Angel, sorry to hear about the fire, hope all is fixed ASAP and your as pleased with yours as we are with ours
Not a thing to do in the kitchen, now the rest of the house and garden, better get on with it

Hill walking today Fintry Hills area, near Carron Reservoir

Kids next door been in for Halloween, I think this will be the oldest ones last Halloween, he is 15 in feb and I just noticed tonight he has taken a stretch, he is taller than me

Bye for now, norrie
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 31st Oct 2013, 09:01pm) *
Angel, you are certainly up to your ears in it, but it will all be worth it with a lovely new kitchen.

Heather , I hope so , they tell me that my kitchen will be fully functional by christmas
but the rest of the work to be done , will take into the New Year .
I had a couple of guys here today getting some plastering and trim work done
so as long as the work keeps moving forward , that will be fine .
I see that you had your own kitchen painted , how does it look . biggrin.gif

angel

Hill walking today Fintry Hills area, near Carron Reservoir

Hope your walk went well Norrie and the weather was good . biggrin.gif
norrie123
Hi heather, check out the photos on the Where am I thread
Weather was fine for most of the day bar two heavy showers

Bye for now, norrie
witshisname
Cleaned up my balcony after we had those strong winds last night,Loads of leaves and some small branches everywhere :-(
Heather
I was out shopping just after 9'o'clock this morning and everywhere was white with frost. I suppose it is to be expected as we are now into November.
I stayed in the rest of the day.

Remember, remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot,
Remember, remember the 5th of November, should never be forgot.

Folk around where we live are certainly having a good time as Fireworks have been going off since late afternoon. Bang, bang, bang.
bilbo.s
Fine day - 25C & sunny. Off on a coffin-dodger trip tomorrow to Granada, mainly to the old Moorish quarter , the Albaycín. Swithering about taking a jaikit !
Heather
Bill, are you trying to make us jealous. tongue.gif

I bet you miss all the frost, snow and winter winds. and going out all wrapped up in a warm coat, hat, scarf and gloves. laugh.gif
norrie123
Hi Bilbos, been to Granada, spent most of the time in The Alhambra Palace, impressive
If I ever return I want to see more of Granada, hope you had good time
25c, yes you need a jacket biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie

Hi Bilbos, been to Granada, spent most of the time in The Alhambra Palace, impressive
If I ever return I want to see more of Granada, hope you had good time
25c, yes you need a jacket biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
bilbo.s
Norrie & Heather,

We have been to the Alhambra 5 times and so we are giving it a miss this time, concentrating on the Albaycín opposite. Lots to see in Granada, one of my favourite cities and only 90 minutes away. Free tapas everywhere - you don't need to buy food! It can be really cold there in winter, being so high and so far inland. Should be fine tomorrow though.
Heather
It was raining when I was out this morning and very cold.

I think my memory is going,
I made a steak pie for dinner and when I checked the oven it was nearly ready as was the parsnips I was roasting, then I dawned on me I had forgotten put the potatoes on. ohmy.gif
bilbo.s
Norrie, We both took light jackets (fleeces) and had to shed them after ten minutes. It was a glorious day and we were shown places we had never seen. We had lunch at the restaurant we have always favoured over the years, and were welcomed by Antonio, who first remembered us after a break of 3 years. A lovely, little old lady sat at the next table and engaged us in conversation, which made our day. Granada is a great, friendly place - not like some big cities. A coffee in a big café bar right in the heart of the tourist area cost a pound, a galvy bucket of Cointreau was 3 pounds 40. Sadly, we had no room for tapas on this trip, as we had 3 course lunch with a bottle of wine for 10 quid each.
Heather
One pound for a cup of coffee, that's cheap.

A few years ago in Paris I paid £3 for a cup of tea, I don't like coffee, but my husband does and I can't remember what coffee cost, but it probably cost more than the tea.

I laughed the first time we were in Italy and my husband ordered a cup of coffee, he got it in a tiny cup. A few days later we found out that to get a decent size cup of coffee he had to ask for an American coffee.
norrie123
Hi Bilbo.s, glad you enjoyed your day
Discarded your fleece, maybe your blood is not as thin as the natives in Spain
I have been in shorts and tee shirt in Benidorm, November and the Spanish were well wrapped up, maybe it was me that was daft biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie it's because we are more used to the cold weather than the Spanish.

One of the times my sister was over here from America, we were all sitting out in short sleeve tops because it was a nice warm day. Jessie was wrapped up in a warm cardigan because she was cold. laugh.gif
bilbo.s
Heather, What the Spanish call café americano is purely for furriners. Coffee is drunk strong in most of Europe. I have not been to US, but I believe their coffee is like dishwater. 1.20¤ is the average price for a coffee here, of whatever size or strength, and it is still possible to get one for a euro, the same price as 6 years ago when we moved here. Tea is the same, and I regularly drink it, as coffee does not agree with my stomach after midday. A coffee with loads of milk is called a " machado" , meaning "stained".
norrie123
Hi bilbo.s, I have asked for cafe con leche in Benidorm, sometimes its good and often it very weak
I now ask for cafe negra with hot milk on the side, its strong just the way we like it
Often the coffee I get in Gasgow is mince biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
norrie123
Hi Heather, I would have thought that Jessie would have been well used to the cold living in the States, perhaps its the cold and damp that we get, that makes her cold

Bye for now, norrie
RonaldK
Just new to GG and to change the subject a bit. I am sitting at my desk flicking through a variety of topics and came across schools and saw a post from a FP of garrioch school. I attended there in the mid 1950's when it was definately a pri,ary school then attended North Kelvinside (NK0 Fleming house till 1966. And wonder if there are any other FP's of these schools out there.
bilbo.s
[quote name='norrie123' date='8th Nov 2013, 12:50am' post='3645275']
Hi bilbo.s, I have asked for cafe con leche in Benidorm, sometimes its good and often it very weak
I now ask for cafe negra with hot milk on the side, its strong just the way we like it
Often the coffee I get in Gasgow is mince biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
[/quote

Norrie, it's along time since I was in Benidorm, but they must be making weak coffee specially for the guiris. The coffee here is always good and strong. Since I moved here I have only had one bad coffee, and it was in Ikea in Malaga. ( Don't get me started about Ikea!)

Maybe you should have totties wi' yer Glesga coffee! laugh.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 8th Nov 2013, 01:53am) *
Hi Heather, I would have thought that Jessie would have been well used to the cold living in the States, perhaps its the cold and damp that we get, that makes her cold

Bye for now, norrie

Norrie when I first came here I coulden't understand how the sun would be splitting the trees with not a cloud in sight in winter and it would be absolutely freezing, often I would go outside to stand in the sun as it was warmer than sitting inside.
It later dawned on me that the houses here are not built to keep in the heat but the opposite with big gaps under all the doors and windows that don't seal properly to allow air to circulate during summer to try and cool them down.
norrie123
Hi Dave Grieve, crikey my power bills would sore if my house was like that, its bad enough as it is.
Loft is insulated, walls have Cavity Insulation,we also have Double Glazing and Central Heating

Bye for now, Norrie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.