Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
norrie123
Hi isobel, enjoy your cruise, shame about your sister

Bye for now, norrie
toerag
Enjoy your trip Isobel, too bad about your sister. We took our grand daughters to see Justin Bieber in Toronto, oh these concerts are VERY loud!!!!!! Could not have been as loud as that when I went to see The Beatles.....a few yeas ago!! could it???? lol
norrie123
Hi toerag, perhaps the music wasnt as loud but the screaming may well have been biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
Purplefan
Hairdresser is coming today.
I'm getting a blue rinse. biggrin.gif
Betsy2009
Hairdresser is coming today.
I'm getting a blue rinse

I hope you mean a purple rinse!
Purplefan
I got a short back and sides.
Went to see the wolverine tonight.
If your into the x men then go; if not stay away. 3D is pretty poor.
Purplefan
Just back from work so having a cup of coffee and reading the forum.
CAT
Just handed in my notice. I feel a bit bad, a bit excited and totally petrified. Hey ho time for a new chapter.
Betsy2009
Well done, Cat. I bet they're sorry to see you go. I've no doubt that you'll make a huge success of your new post. Where would we be if we didn't have a bit of excitement now and again. Changes like this keep the old grey matter lively and the blood pumping.
bilbo.s
I made a few decisions like that, some good, some disastrous. Fortunately my last one was a no-brainer and I finished my illustrious career with a 15 year period in my best job ever.
CAT
Thanks guys I feel I have made the right decision it basicaly takes me back to a similar position salary and type of company that I had before I was made redundant 2 years ago. Worst case scenario I can always go back and work at the co-op as i did when I became unemployed.
I have agreed to work my 4 weeks notice as I want to leave everything in a good position for my team. Which leaves me on good terms.
Onward and upward biggrin.gif
Purplefan
Thinking of going into town and buying a sound bar for my TV.
I was wondering if someone has one, do they make a difference in the quality of sound?
Heather
Cat, have you a new and better offer in another Office or have you decided to retire???

Betsy2009
Sorry Purple, never heard of them.
How old fashioned am I???
Best thing I bought was a hearing loop!
angel
QUOTE (CAT @ 1st Aug 2013, 09:38am) *
Thanks guys I feel I have made the right decision it basicaly takes me back to a similar position salary and type of company that I had before I was made redundant 2 years ago. Worst case scenario I can always go back and work at the co-op as i did when I became unemployed.
I have agreed to work my 4 weeks notice as I want to leave everything in a good position for my team. Which leaves me on good terms.
Onward and upward biggrin.gif

Hello Cat. I don't know what this new job of your's will be
but I sincerely wish you every success in your endeavours.
You Go Girl thumbup.gif
CAT
QUOTE (angel @ 1st Aug 2013, 05:27pm) *
Hello Cat. I don't know what this new job of your's will be
but I sincerely wish you every success in your endeavours.
You Go Girl thumbup.gif

Thanks Angel I am going back to very similar to what I did for years before being made redundant I think it will be much less stressful and more fulfilling. I also get a nice new car so happy days. As my wee pat (I know I name my car rolleyes.gif ) is on her last legs I don't need to worry about buying a new one.

Heather I wish I could afford to retire but there's still a few years in the old girl yet.
norrie123
Hi Cat, all the best for your new job, car too, cant be bad

I think I only made one mistake in leaving a job, went back to the place I served my time in, dammed if they didn't announce they were closing a few weeks after I started back sad.gif
I managed to return 9 months later
CAT
I know Norrie I have been really stressed worrying about the risk i am taking but at the end of the day lifes too short. I have looked into the company history and finaces and they look fine but it's still a gamble. I just think I'll be less stressed and also able to make a better contribution in this new role.
I know you took a gamble and it didn't work but there's nothing worse than "what if". I'm glad it worked out in the end. biggrin.gif
Jupiter
PF re your SOUNDBAR. Ive got a Sony Bravia 42in but couldnt get a compatible Sony soundbar so I got a Toshiba which comes with one other speaker and the sound effects are phenomenal.The last thing I wanted was multiple speakers and associated wiring.I would def recommend.It has various sound sytems integrated for music,film,sport and and games.Good luck.
norrie123
What is a sound bar, is it big and will it be of any use to the hard of hearing?

Bye for now,norrie
Betsy2009
Are you hard of hearing, Norrie?
Do you wear a hearing aid?
If you do, try a loop system on your TV.
Purplefan
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 2nd Aug 2013, 02:14pm) *
What is a sound bar, is it big and will it be of any use to the hard of hearing?

Bye for now,norrie

A sound bar is a device that you can plug into your TV and it gives you quality cinema sound
if you live in a small flat it is ideal. You can also connect your computer and phone to the bar
through Blue tooth.
If you have a decent TV like mine and the sound is not great; then it's a way of enhancing
the sound. If your deaf then i don't think it will help.

This is a photo of the one i bought.
norrie123
Hi Betsty2009, my wife is deaf in one ear, sometimes she finds it hard to catch whats being said, but even I find at times the dialogue isnt great
BBC4s Swedish and Danish programmes are great, we find the subtitles ok now

Hi purplefan so thats a sound bar, I have seen them in the shops but didn't realise what they were for

Bye for now, Norrie
Betsy2009
Hello Norrie.
I'm deaf in one ear too and my 'good' ear isn't as good as it used to be so I got a hearing aid. I then bought a hearing loop for the tv (but works on any sound system so you can use it for music too) when friends said that my tv was a bit too loud. In fact it was very loud. My neighbours are, no doubt, thrilled now!!!
You can also use the hearing loop with a small head set thingy if you don't have a hearing aid.
I also have the subtitles on all them time. Isn't it funny to see the mistakes they make?

I didn't know what a sound bar was either - so we're both old fashioned!!!
CAT
Chill out day today, my grandson just phoned to ask to stay tonight. He has more friends up here than at home so I will only see him when its time for bed or when he wants food or sweets.

After quite a stressful week deciding job wise I have been put on garden leave for my 4 week notice period as HR think there could be a slight conflict of interest. I now have 4 weeks at home on full pay until I start my new job. Woopee biggrin.gif
Purplefan
Hope you enjoy your chil out day as much as i enjoyed my fray bentos pie.
Ive been setting up my new sound bar, listening to Deep purple, and now i have a
big pint on irn bru. thumbup.gif
I hope the government wont put a tax on irn bru?
wellfield
A sound bar is almost a must for every flat screen TV as there is very little room in the body of the TV for a decent sound in todays thin flat screens......I have a Hitachi 36"sound bar with built in sub-woofer,so the actual sound bar is all that's required.....the sound is so much clearer, as todays TV and movie scripts are made for low breathers and mumblers ...the sound bar I have only requires the plugging in of a 1/8" plug from the sound bar to the existing TV....cost approx. $110 US and always on sale...so don't worry,you're,not going deaf!
CAT
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 3rd Aug 2013, 04:58pm) *
Hope you enjoy your chil out day as much as i enjoyed my fray bentos pie.
Ive been setting up my new sound bar, listening to Deep purple, and now i have a
big pint on irn bru. thumbup.gif
I hope the government wont put a tax on irn bru?

Cheers purple I'll toast your irn bru with my lucozade.
jakka13
Purplefan,My favourite thing to bring back from home was Frey Bentos pies .Loved them MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.Last time I tried to bring them back the customs took them from me ( Bet they enjoyed them ) The other things I can't find are Ham Cubes and OXO's .We've a wee British stall in a market that brings in the the Fray Bentos Pies but they want $14 plus a pie .I don't mind paying the premium for imported goods but this just went over the top .
norrie123
Hi betsy2009, perhaps the sound bar may be what is needed, wellfield described what some of the sound problems may be.
Bye for now, norrie
Betsy2009
Sounds good, Norrie. (!!)
Let me know how it goes.
Purplefan
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 2nd Aug 2013, 10:07am) *
PF re your SOUNDBAR. Ive got a Sony Bravia 42in but couldnt get a compatible Sony soundbar so I got a Toshiba which comes with one other speaker and the sound effects are phenomenal.The last thing I wanted was multiple speakers and associated wiring.I would def recommend.It has various sound sytems integrated for music,film,sport and and games.Good luck.

I'm having a few problems connecting mine. I have to buy LG stuff as my TV is LG
the sound bar i bought did not come with a HDMI lead (a bit strange considering the price i paid)
I don't know how to connect it.
Purplefan
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 4th Aug 2013, 01:14am) *
Purplefan,My favourite thing to bring back from home was Frey Bentos pies .Loved them MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.Last time I tried to bring them back the customs took them from me ( Bet they enjoyed them ) The other things I can't find are Ham Cubes and OXO's .We've a wee British stall in a market that brings in the the Fray Bentos Pies but they want $14 plus a pie .I don't mind paying the premium for imported goods but this just went over the top .

You don't know what you miss till it's gone. I could pop a few in the post i
if you P.M. me your address. There only a quid each at Asda.

I can get ham cubs in asda also. It would not be a problem.
Purplefan
watching carry on girls.
(bit disappointing not the best)
Anne1
Going to have a lazy day by the pool as yesterday was pretty busy, so want to relax and catch up with my reading and calm my nervous system biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
norrie123
Heading to town to take photos of Glasgow
Bye for now, norrie
CAT
Day one of garden leave, off to the gym. I will be able to fit into those suits and work dresses in the wardrobe. I will I will I will!! laugh.gif
Purplefan
I asked a girl out and she said "YES" biggrin.gif thumbup.gif
so going for a coffee later. AWESOME!
Betsy2009
She's got good taste, Purple. Enjoy yourself.
Heather
Hey Purple, I hope you behave yourself when out with the new girlfriend. wink.gif

I have had a lazy day. After tidying up this morning, I have spent the day reading and knitting. smile.gif
Purplefan
I was the perfect gentleman.
I combed my hair, worse fresh pants and spoke only when i was spoken to.
It was a very nice time.
Betsy2009
Glad you enjoyed your date, Purple. Seeing her again?
Purplefan
Yes next week. Will have to think of something to do.
Don't think she will want to go and see worchester city vs Altrincham in the blue square north,
Betsy2009
Far too romantic, Purple, but you could always ask her - and have a back up plan!
Purplefan
Droylesden Vs Hyde?
Betsy2009
erm - nooooooo.
St Mirren v Arbroath would be better.
jakka13
Purple ,thank you so much for your generous offer to send me Pies and ham cubes etc .They would probably be taken at the customs .I'll just have to wait till my niece comes back amd she will smuggle them in for me .
Good luck with this new girl wub.gif
Purplefan
I'm going to play things cool betsy. probably go for a other coffee and
ask if she would like to go to the pictures or something. Don't want to rush things.
No problem jakka13.
Don't like to see people going without.
I might start a frey bentos smuggling ring into Canada though. Become the mr.big of the pie smuggling world to help oot hungry ex pat scottish people.
I could open up speak easy dens all over canada where i would serve frey Bentos disguised as other pies. biggrin.gif
Purplefan
I'm going to see partick thistle vs ayr united in Glasgow tonight.
c'mon the jags.

Get the mid day train from oxford road station manchester and be in Glasgow for 4pm. smile.gif
bilbo.s
You must have too much money, if you can gallivant about the UK on trains.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.