Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
jakka13
Sounds like you're having a good time in the west end Purplefan .my favourite place .I'll have to get Angels reciepe for meat loaf .Haven't made it for years !!
Purplefan
well, today i went home to possil, i am still inshock as to how much it has declined.
Even the coop at barloch st is no more. There is a housing association where the old pawn shop used to be, and
even the vogue bingo is no more. The bus depot has been left to rot.
what was once a thriving community in the 1970s is dying.
verry sad.
CAT
Oh purple so sorry Possil is not the same any more I suppose everything changes and we don't notice just how much or how bad until we have been away. I hope it's not spoiled your trip because sounds like you have been enjoing our fair city so far.
I'm looking forward to a wee day out down at the Merchant city tomorrow.
Purplefan
you know cat, as i walk through the old city, it struck me how much it has changed.
It is not the city i remember. I tried to go to stonyhurst street to visit an old pal.
The whole area is gone. my pal died three years ago in stobhil hospital.
I am going to the seaside tomorrow. saltcoats. I wonder how much that has changed.
CAT
Oh dear I think you'll find Saltcoats is not what it was. Run down and full of pound shops. I saying that my mum and I on one of our wee Wednesday jaunts went down about 2 years ago and had a lovely steak dinner at a restraunt in the street behind the public loo's at the front, you can sit upstair and look out onto the water. There is a chippy next door which still sells sticks of rock and such like.
Ayr is quite nice as is largs which is busy and thriving.
Have a great time and don't forget yer bucket and spade.
biggrin.gif
Purplefan
saltcoats was our holiday destination. I remember the two railway bridges, sitting in the shelter
eating our princes chicken spread sandwiches.
what a place to build a family restaurant, across from the public loo.
I remember going to the wee cinema in saltcoats to see the film: ring of bright water.
saltcoats had a great paddling pool next to the sea.
Sunday im having a look round trongate, see if my modle shop is there and comic book store.
I use to buy my clothes from dees of trongate.
And the barras as well.
Heather
Cat, I was down in Saltcoats 2/3 years ago and was shocked at the state the beach was in, the whole place was being renovated. Maybe it will look better now.

Saltcoats was where mum & dad took us for our Holidays. Mum always went down early in the Spring and booked a house for the Glasgow Fair Fortnight.

Oh happy days, playing on the beach and rocks, then having a sing song when the Salvation Army came round.

The open air pool was frozen, but we had good fun in it.
angel

Hi Purple , looks like you are having a nice visit
to Glasgow , I do hope that the weather holds for you .

When I was young , my favorite town on the clyde coast
was Troon , I just loved the fabulous swimming pool they had
but as I am now a lot older rolleyes.gif , I do prefer the towns of Largs and Helensburgh so easy to get there by train or bus .
especially when you are not driving it is'nt always so easy to go visit other places , but , try a day in Edinburgh if you can , historically
a lot too see ,
anyway Purple I do hope that you have a pleasant time
Cheers biggrin.gif
Also , Cheers to you Cat . smile.gif

norrie123
Hi Purplefan, the only area that has changed little in Possill is Saracen st round about the Cross
So much new housing, I pass through it most Sundays on my way to the speedway at Ashfield
Mansion st has been more or less cleared of housing
I can picture the area in my mind, big changes
All the engineering works are gone, Mains, Brownlee and Murray, Steel Roofing, Lambhill Engineering and Hugh Smiths, thats only the ones I know of
Most of the Bus Depot was demolished early last year?

No matter , make the best of your trip home

Bye for now, norrie
Purplefan
yup. possil is no the place i used ta know. same with saltcoats, ardrossan, stevenson.
Barras today for some mussels and a walk round trongate.
might even go to the speedway today.
Tigers vs berwick.
norrie, do you ever go to away meets for speedway? is there a suporters bus for ipswich on Thursday
Isobel
Sounds like you are having a great time Purplefan. Is the b and b any good? Always interested in hearing about places like that. Are you on your own? Perhaps some of the folks on the GG will meet you .Praying that the weather stays good for you . Enjoy.
norrie123
Hi purplefan I dont go to away meetings anymore
Not sure about a trip to Ipswich, check at the track
I stand on the back straight, almost in line with the starting gate, hope you can make it
How come you knew about Speedway?
petunia
Sitting in an RV park in Berwick, Nova Scotia its 8.l6 am the sun is shining and we are on our way to Lunenburg, Ecum Secum and wherever we fancy stopping, first weekend of summer and everyone is enjoying the sunshine, not so much the poor people of Calgary and area.
The dogs are also enjoying the trip, have a good day all whatever you are doing.
Purplefan
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 23rd Jun 2013, 09:15am) *
Hi purplefan I dont go to away meetings anymore
Not sure about a trip to Ipswich, check at the track
I stand on the back straight, almost in line with the starting gate, hope you can make it
How come you knew about Speedway?

we were talking about it on the possilpark thread. I checked out the website. some nice pictures on there of ashfield,
decided not to go, i'm in the forgue having a pie.
Purplefan
QUOTE (petunia @ 23rd Jun 2013, 11:31am) *
Sitting in an RV park in Berwick, Nova Scotia its 8.l6 am the sun is shining and we are on our way to Lunenburg, Ecum Secum and wherever we fancy stopping, first weekend of summer and everyone is enjoying the sunshine, not so much the poor people of Calgary and area.
The dogs are also enjoying the trip, have a good day all whatever you are doing.

sounds lovely petunia. Always wanted to go to Nova scotia, where my ancesters ended up
after the sheep clearences.
Heather
Norrie, when I was a wee lassie and living in the Cowcaddens I used to go to Ashfield every week with my older sister to support the Giants.
It was fun & games on a Saturday, our brothers would come home from the football decked out in the green & white and we would be getting ready to go out, decked out in the blue & white of the Giants colours. yes.gif
I was the youngest in the Supporters Club and we would go to White City when against the Tigers and Edinburgh when against the Edinburgh Monarchs.

When we moved to Barlanark I could not go anymore because it was too late by the time I got home as I had School in the morning.

I cried my eyes out when Ken Le Breton was killed in a race back home in Australia. sad.gif
norrie123
Hi Heather, living in Cowcaddens you could have been a Tigers supporter, only a few stops in the subway to Copland rd biggrin.gif
Barlanark, yes it was a bit far if you were using public transport
I started supporting Tigers 1964, bus from Milton to Cowcaddens Subway, long time following them.
Purplefan
so what was the result?
All this talk of speedway has wetted my appetite. When i go hpme to Manchester tomorrow
i will go to bel view and take in a manchester ace meet. They are in the top league.
was it a good race norrie?
CAT
Well purple one did ye enjoy your trip home can we tempt you back for good? biggrin.gif
norrie123
Hi Purplefan, Tigers got beaten by Berwick 44-46, not too bad a meeting
We have two new riders who have been out of the game for about 3 years, scored a few points but it wasnt enough, we also have two young riders who are coming on
No matter I will be back.

Yes, go and support Belle Vue

Bye for now, norrie
Purplefan
QUOTE (CAT @ 24th Jun 2013, 03:46pm) *
Well purple one did ye enjoy your trip home can we tempt you back for good? biggrin.gif

No; not yet anyhow. Not right time. But if the opportunity came along again ????
norrie. sorry to hear you lost. I'm going to the next meet at belle vue, only up the road from where i stay. thumbup.gif
One on tonight against poole, but im only just back too tired.
norrie123
Hi Purplefan, I dont have Sky
Speedway Gran Prix's are show on Eurosport 2, check the TV listing for the next one

Bye for now, norrie
Purplefan
i only have freeview sad.gif
Purplefan
celebrating!!
Just been informed, i've won my local football club monthly prize draw 500.00 laugh.gif
CAT
Woopee ! Now you can get Sky or maybe another wee trip to Glasgow. thumbup.gif
Purplefan
It was a nice little surprise. I am going to buy that lego star wars super destroyer ive always wanted.
Its only 300.00
CAT
Quite right if it was me I'd spend it on a bag.
Purplefan
well i thought i'd buy something expensive and useless.
My last girlfriend collected bags, she had 100's.
reminds me of a joke.
a paper bag went to the doctors because he was not feeling well.
Doctor tells him, "i'm sorry but you have the flu".
so the bag says: "how can i have the flu, i'm a paper bag"?
Doctor tells him, "ah, your parents must be carriers".
norrie123
Hi Purplefan ,congratulations, I couldnt win a Menage biggrin.gif
Purplefan
Been a while since i won something. working today. sad.gif 8 till 8
Purplefan
canny believe i'm back at work; and it's going to rain sad.gif
I hate my job.
norrie123
Hi purplefan, sorry you hear you hate your job
To be honest I never hated any of my jobs or work places though working in my last job Gorbals could be a little trying at times biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie
CAT
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 27th Jun 2013, 06:43am) *
canny believe i'm back at work; and it's going to rain sad.gif
I hate my job.

Cheer up Purple it's nearly Friday that's what keeps me going from a Monday morning. Actualy I quite enjoy my job most of the time. After getting made redundent 2 and half years ago I had quite an unsettled 18 months with various temporary jobs so I suppose I'm just glad to be settled.
Heather
I won 4-90 on the Euro Millions on Tuesday. I was thinking of going on a shopping spree, but I don't know what to spend it on. Decisions, decisions. laugh.gif

It has been raining all morning here today and after me watering the garden yesterday as the soil was very dry.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 27th Jun 2013, 12:40pm) *
I won 4-90 on the Euro Millions on Tuesday. I was thinking of going on a shopping spree, but I don't know what to spend it on. Decisions, decisions. laugh.gif

It has been raining all morning here today and after me watering the garden yesterday as the soil was very dry.

I was going to suggest the Pound Shop. I'll even send 10p to make it up to a fiver ! biggrin.gif
Purplefan
well, if i won the lottery i'd buy partick thistle fc. mind you, ive no idea what
i'd do with the rest of the 10.00.
wellfield
Heat wave here for the next few days...taking my wee 5 year old Grandson fishing to try out his new pole at a local recreation lake!.......congrats on your win Purplefan,yer' supposed to win that 'afore ye' go on holiday!
wellfield
Meant to put a pic of the wee fella fishing,ended up putting the whole library on....you're welcome to gander through it.......will never figure this computer stuff....I'm going in to get my right knee replaced on July 3rd,had my left one done over a year ago.
Tam C
Hi All on my way back home to Denmark after a month in the sun even managed to get a wee bit broon .Congrats purplefan on your win and the best of health to you Wellfield on your upcoming op .Cheers Tam C
bilbo.s
Hi Tam,

Glad you had a good time down here in the Med. End of August we are going for two weeks to our son's in Denmark - wee place called Hejls outside Kolding. We go from there for 3 weeks in Scotland (sunny Airdrie), returning home early October.
Jim D
Heading up to Inverness for the European Pipe Band Championships, which will be held in Forres tomorrow. I hope the rain stay off for a change!
Purplefan
JimD i envy you, would love to go there. I went to the Edinburgh tattoo once and i was such a great time.
Im shopping tomorrow in the trafford center getting my lego starwars superdestroyer and some lunch.
love the trafford center.
hve a great day jim.
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Jim D @ 28th Jun 2013, 10:38am) *
Heading up to Inverness for the European Pipe Band Championships, which will be held in Forres tomorrow. I hope the rain stay off for a change!

We might have joined you, if we still lived in Insch. smile.gif . My lady wife ( of English birth) is pipe band daft , as was her mother !
Heather
I love to hear the skirl of the Bag pipes, it sets off my Scottish blood and makes me feel like doing the Highland fling. I learned that at School.

Bill, thank you for the 10pence, now I can go shopping at Poundland. laugh.gif

I have had a very busy day. I tidied out the drawers in the china cabinet and also inside the cupboards in the cabinet.
Then I washed all the glassware on top of the cabinet. Next in line is to wash all the items in the cabinet, a shelf at a time.
angel

Well Heather , I hav'nt been as busy as yourself these
past couple of days .
I was away visiting the family and also to attend my
youngest granddaughters' high school graduation , it was a lovely
time with members from both sides of the family ,
it was a nice reason for a get together and enjoy
the company .
As I have mentioned before my grandchildren are not
catholic but their parents send them to catholic school for
their education .
I must say that the graduation event was lovely , with the young ladies dressed up in all their finery and wearing shoes with heels impossible for walking biggrin.gif and of course the young men looking so handsome , I was also quite suprised to see young muslim's
graduating from this catholic High school , I think there was seven of them , anyway I'm sure that ,that is a good thing .
Now , my grandaughter will be off to university come September ,
she is all excited about that , I think she will do well .
Regards , Pat smile.gif

I

Purplefan
well i had a fantastic day at the trafford center in Manchester.
Bought my Lego super stardestroyer 250.00 for a lego set ohmy.gif still, ive always wanted one.
I am going to see partick thistle next week, so i have decided to make a weekend
of it and booked into a b&b in Newcastle, and i bought the new jags home top plus a hat and scarf.
Purplefan
Blimey, this forum is totally dead today.
I can almost see the tumbleweeds rolling in the distance.
wombat
laugh.gif what tumbleweeds pal its aw purple here laugh.gif
DavidT
Magic photies Wombat.

I'm watching Little Shop of Horrors (again). The dentist song is on the noo laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.