Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
Oh dear, poor Anne & Nev stuck with a broken down car. sad.gif

Now Annewan, why did you not call me, being a wealthy wee wumin I would have sent out my Chauffeur with the Limousine to drive the two of you home. laugh.gif
angel

Heather , Anne thought that it was your Chauffeurs' day off. sad.gif
Well it is another lovely day here ,a bit cool but loads of sunshine,
I am going to a birthday barbecue , it's my little nephews' 1st
birthday , so just a wee celebration for him ,
should be a nice evening ....... I did'nt have to think about a birthday gift for him as I had already bought a couple of nice outfits
as gifts for Jacob when I was in Glasgow . Cheers , Pat biggrin.gif

Heather
Enjoy your party Angel. smile.gif

The weather here today was very cold. I can't remember such bad weather in May, not that I was out in it, being Friday I was too busy doing the housework. rolleyes.gif

Isobel
Perfect day here,and going to be a great long weekend,looking forward to spending time in the garden.
Baby due middle of October Angel.
angel

I had decided to have a go at growing tomatoes in the large planters
this summer instead of flowers , so yesterday I went off to the garden centre and bought lots of fresh soil and my son emptied out the old stuff
I planted the tomato plants and of course hoping that this would be successful , anyway I am just in from checking them and those bliddy
squirrels have dug up the Tomato plants and they are now ruined sad.gif sad.gif mad.gif

Heather
Angel, you have to put netting over the plant pots to protect them from the squirrels.

I remember Ross telling me that years ago when the squirrels ate my flower plants I put in the pots.
Isobel
Angel I don't even try now ,It was the dam rabbits that were my problem.Try
and do what I do plant stuff they don't like.You can also buy a little thing in Canadian Tire. It buzzes but you wont here it , but they will .
I am trying to stain some wood that Jim is going to put round my master bathroom mirror,its a Hugh mirror and I think it would look a lot neater with a nice surround. but its so hot today I came in had a drink and now I cant be bothered going back out.Omg. I am getting lazy. This old age is for the birds eh?
angel

Isobel , don't you talk about old age , you're a very pretty old ager, biggrin.gif
it's just the heat today , but it will cool off a little by tomorrow , so they say . you will get your energy back. then you can carry on with the staining .
I did go to the garden centre today and bought some chicken wire
and a couple more plants , ..... You know between the cost of the soil ,,, " I needed 6 bags " , so with tax over $10 each , plus the plants and chicken wire , it would be much cheaper to wait for the fresh tomatoes at the Farmers Market , I'm obviously not the brightest when it comes to gardening , amongst other things , but just one more try .
I think that I will shoot the neighbour across the street , she loves those rodents and feeds them winter and summer .
So you get on with your painting and I'll get on with my shooting
biggrin.gif cheers ,Pat
Elma
I plant my tomatoes in pots on my deck, Angel and haven't had any problem. Most of my plants are on my deck, I don't put much in my garden now as the deer, which are everywhere, eat everything in sight. I have a resident family of deer under my deck, 2 babies born there last year, they are the biggest pests around here. The city did a cull of 100 deer last January which was about a quarter of them within the city but with the does now giving birth of twins or even triplets, we will have as many again for next year's cull.
angel

I don't have a deck Elma , just the back steps leading to the patio ,
although a deck would'nt make much difference with the squirrels .
It's a cull we need here , but there are people who insist on feeding them , so it's a losing battle , but I will try once more . Cheers , Pat
Isobel
Well thank you Pat, you made my day.I remember the first time we tried to grow tomatoes.Oh I thought I was never going to get any. My kitchen window had lots of green tomatoes there catching the sun.By the time I could use them I had so many I was giving them all away.I thought never again . I just go to the market.
Isobel
Morning all, another fantastic day,first long weekend of the cottage season.My girls will be here today with their families. I love my wee garden ,but sometimes on days like this I wish I had my big one back.When the kids arrive all at once there's not a lot of room for them to run about. Oh well we make do. Have a great day all.
Heather
It is so nice here today I went out and tackled the weeds sprouting up everywhere in the garden.

The result is I can hardly move for a pain in my back. I never had this problem before, is this another sign of old age?? sad.gif
I found some gel in the Medicine cabinet for Arthritis and have rubbed some of it in to see if it eases the pain. Oh woe is me.
angel

Hi Isobel , hope you have a great day
with your family . cheers , Pat
angel

Hi heather ,your back pain has nothing to do with age
it has to do with weeding biggrin.gif hope the pain eases up soon .

My day did'nt turn out as planned , had unexpected company ,
which was lovely but it had me in the kitchen feeding them
this morning.... and later today , my son and grandson are
comming for supper , again that is fine , but why I am feeling like the scullery drudge . mellow.gif
Today has turned out to be a hot one , about 29'cel , with some
humidity , which makes it feel hotter . Cheers , Pat

Heather
Very hot here today and yesterday.

I was bored sitting in the house with my aching back, so yesterday I went out and strimmed the weeds growing along the drive and back patio. Then in the back garden I saw a clump of weeds and tried to pull them out. I put my hands around the weeds then let out a scream, they were hiding a bunch of jaggy nettles. My poor fingers and hands were stinging the rest of the day.
The irony is, the weeds were growing right next to the shed and there are three pairs of garden glove's in there.
I think i'm an accident looking for a place to happen and when I can't find one, I just pick on myself. sad.gif

Today I'm playing safe and will start to knit a Santa Claus. I just have to be careful I don't stab myself with the knitting needles. rolleyes.gif
angel

Hi heather , I see that you have been getting yourself into more trouble ,
maybe you could have that chauffer of yours do some of the weeding for you tongue.gif hope you feel better soon ! .
I have a good start to my day , it is a lovely morning ,I got about three loads of washing done and hung outside , plus other chores , and if I have enough energy by lunch time I may just go for a drive down to the lake .
anyway , you take care , cheers ..... Pat
Heather
Lucky Angel, going a drive down the lake.

I was saying to Maurice yesterday how much I miss not having the car as I would have enjoyed a nice day driving down the Coast. We used to do that often in the good weather, and I loved driving. smile.gif

I have a washing hanging on the pulley with the back door open and a clotheshorse outside with housecoats drying in all the nice warm sunshine.
TeeHeeHee
Hi guys, more like what I did today. tongue.gif
Today was my last day with Bonnie in the Black Forest; her mammy and daddy come home this evening from holiday. They always told me to just to follow Bonnie when I go through the forest and she has led me to a castle ruins and a few forest workers huts etc.. Today we went a different way and I thought If I don't come to a woodland crossing by 3pm, I'm turning back ... which I did. On the way back I looked a bit closer at one of the huts we'd passed and ... whit dae y' know ... a case of beer under the hut biggrin.gif
Thank you Bonnie.
So I had one and it was so good I had a second. Unfortunately my wallet was back in the car so I put the empties back in the beer case and with a wet piece of wood wrote DANKE on the hut above the beer case; which I tucked back under the hut.
Nice finish to a week's Walk in the Black Forest with Bonnie. biggrin.gif
Heather
Well Tee, I'm sure the owners of the crate of beer will be grateful you did not drink the lot. laugh.gif

What a day I have had.
I had an appointment at the Optician at 2'0'clock and did not get out until after 3'0'clock.
Then I headed into town to sort out the Bank problem as we got a letter from the Bank Security advising us to close our Account and open another one. Then I discovered I had to make an appointment to see an Advisor but also had to bring my husband with me as it is a Joint Account.

It was 4'30 when I got out the Bank so decided to head home and went to Queen Street for the train then discovered I can't use my concessionary Pass between the hours of 4'30 and 6'0'clock so I was charged 2-80. angry.gif
I don't know when this ruling came in, but I have never heard anything about it until today.
Two other women were also angry as the were charged 3-60 each to go to Airdrie. They knew nothing about it either.

I have been on the train a few times in the past few weeks and saw no notice's advising about this.
angel

Hi heather you seem to have had a busy little day , but you have at the
least got your business in order ,and the next time you will know about your concession ticket .
I did a bit running around myself today , as my car is going in
tomorrow to be serviced , so it will probably be gone for most of Friday .
It's been very hot here , I hate these high temps , with the humidity factor it felt like 34'Cel .
anyway you take care . Cheers Pat
mlconnelly
Heather I think there was mention of this either in the newspapers or on the news but I didn't realise it was happening so quickly. I would certain be writing a letter of complaint to Scotrail if I was you. Mary
Heather
Very warm here today as well Angel. Apparently it's hotter here than in California laugh.gif

We have a fan on to cool the house down. yes.gif
Heather
Mary the guy said something about it being the Council who was to blame. I was so annoyed I did not pick him up right. I told him BR were rip off merchants.
The other two woman were furious at having to pay 3-60 each.

I must see if I can find anything about it on the Internet.

Mary did it say anything about the same rule applying to the Buses??

I found this on the Internet.

From 20 May 2012 holders of National Entitlement Cards for persons aged 60 or over cannot take advantage of the rail scheme between 16:30 – 18:00 Monday-Friday (unless travelling to a hospital appointment).

There is no restriction at weekends or on national public holidays, or for a holder of a Ferry Card connecting with a specified ferry.

There are also no peak time restrictions for people holding a National Entitlement Card for people with disabilities.
mlconnelly
I didn't know GCC had any say over Scotrail policies so thats a surprise. I don't think anything was said about restrictions on the buses but if GCC holds sway with Scotrail then I think its only a matter of time before the same will apply to them as well. Mary
angel
Hi Heather and Mary ,
I seem to recall , my parents , " a thousand years ago" unsure.gif ,
saying that the use of their senior travel passes was restriced to
off peak times only , eg , public transport ... Cheers , Pat .
angel

I have just came back from picking up
my car from the garage , the walk down
was just a bit too much , because of the heat,
thank goodness I was driving back , I had the cars'
air conditioning on full blast . Whew ! It ' a hot one today. ... Pat

Heather
Angel, this restriction is a new one and I don't know of any other restriction since I retired.

I was going out shopping today down the Main Street and when passing the Chapel there was a Piper playing outside and people going in for a wedding.
The women all looked lovely in their dresses and fancy hats, some with facinators.
The men were all wearing the kilt.

A lovely day for a wedding, but I was too busy to hang around to see the Bride.

A young woman passing by with her baby in a pushchair remarked on the Piper and laughingly said, " It make me want to go to a Ceilidh" I agreed with her as I love going to a Ceilidh. laugh.gif
Gemini
this weekend is our Memorial weekend and officially the start of summer, today started out cloudy and local garden club had a small town flower show so I went to that it was really nice, then went out for a quick lunch with a friend the sun had broken thru by then and the humidity set in got into shorts and tank top laid down on sofa and boy oh boy 2 hours later I woke up talk about a nap now I'm raring to go but don,t where biggrin.gif so I guess I,ll check out the telly and see whats on the nite.
angel

Good morning people , it's about 7,40am here and looks like a beautiful day comming up , not as hot and humid as yesterday , I hope ! .

Yesterday I tuned into one of the french speaking TV channels and
was surprised to see , the tv series , ' Inspector Barnaby ' dubbed in french , this character has been in Midsomer Murders as you probably know , for some time ,
I do watch that show , However I still liked John Nettles as " Bergerac "

Glad you had a nice day Ria , how did your visit with your grand daughter go , hope it went well !.
Cheers Heather , take care ...Pat

Heather
Gemini, you must have been needing that nap to have slept for so long. smile.gif

I've been busy mopping the patio with bleach to clean up the flagstones.
I buy cheap bleach as it also kills the weeds growing up between the flagstones better than weedkiller.

The sun is beaming down here again and it is very warm. yes.gif

Good afternoon Pat, have a nice day. smile.gif
Gemini
morning ladies so far cloudy but it is going to clear up, visit was fantastic they arrived Saturday, we didn't do too much that day then on Sunday she spent that with her dad's family, Monday we went to Philadelphia lot of walking Mike ran all the way up the stairs Sly Stallone did in "Rocky" God Bless him Tuesday they did New York I did not go with them as they were going rite to the train station to go to my daughter in D.C. then Thursday they left for home, so I guess I was catching up yesterday, not as young as I used to be tongue.gif
wee mags
Lovely day here ,sun is shining I hope t tays that way ,we have had so many days of rain,
angel

Hello Mags , hope all is well with you
and Mike is being a good boy , tongue.gif
Our big problem in my neck of the woods
is the lack of rain .
In the northen part of Ontario ,
there are communities , that have been evacuated
because of wild fires , although rain is forcast , it has'nt
developed here in the Niagara region , the earth is like pig iron ,
that cost money to water , it's much too early in the season
to start dealing with drought conditions .

I had a very nice meet a couple of weeks past , with Catherine ,Jakka
, chookie , lizzielou , Isobel and Andy . a lovely afternoon ... well maybe a wee bit longer unsure.gif laugh.gif take care , Mags... Pat
wee mags
glad you had a meet with the girls its fun to get together ,i like it when we do ,maybe the next time I will make it thumbup.gif
angel

Now , that would be lovely Mags.. biggrin.gif ...Pat
angel

Hi heather, hope you are enjoying your nice weather
the temps here have gone done , makes life a bit more comfortable
It is threating to rain ,' which we need badly ' so I'm hoping that it
just does'nt pass over.
I've already tried the bleach , will let you know how it works
also the chicken wire seems to be doing the job , but
it looks so ugly . biggrin.gif
What a difference on these boads anymore , I recall Sunday afternoons being really sociable and amusing , but no longer , and thats' sad , anyway I'll get along and see if I can bore myself elswhere.
Take care....... Pat biggrin.gif

angel
[quote name='angel' post='3577534' date='27th May 2012, 03:38pm']Hi heather, hope you are enjoying your nice weather
the temps here have gone down , makes life a bit more comfortable
It is threating to rain ,' which we need badly ' so I'm hoping that it
just does'nt pass over.
I've already tried the bleach , will let you know how it works
also the chicken wire seems to be doing the job , but
it looks so ugly . biggrin.gif
What a difference on these boads anymore , I recall Sunday afternoons being really sociable and amusing , but no longer , and thats' sad , anyway I'll get along and see if I can bore myself elswhere.
Take care . Pat Cheers
Anne1
Going out for dinner with family for Nevs Birthday, looking forward to family outing biggrin.gif
wee mags
am gonnae dae the wash ,well am gonnae put it in the washing machine biggrin.gif
angel

Hello Anne and Mags , I've just logged in to check my PM,s .

Anne I do wish that your family celebration for Nevs' birthday goes well , cheers , Pat

Hello Mags , these day"s I only do my washing on the weekend because the hydro is cheaper . We have what is called a " Smart Meter "
and it charges you on whether you use on or off peak times for Hydro .

I only wish it was smart enough to do the wash .. laugh.gif laugh.gif
cheers ,Pat
Heather
We finally got the Bank situation sorted out.
We had to close our Account and reopen with a different Account number.

The Advisor we spoke to in the Bank said people put random numbers in the PC to see if any Account and name shows up. They keep trying until they get lucky.

We told her about the phone call from a woman saying she was calling from our Bank and asked for our Account Number. But Maurice refused to give it to her, and he said she sounded foreign. The Advisor said the same as the Bank Security, that there was no way they would phone us and ask for our Account Number.
The question is, how did the woman who phoned know our phone number as we are
x-directory?

I had a lazy day today, did some reading then some knitting.
Heather
I can hardly believe this, but we have another death in the family, my Aunt Jean who was in her late 80s died yesterday.
That's the third family death in five weeks. A sis-in-law, then a cousin, now my Aunt.
I was stunned when I got the phone call yesterday from another Aunt.

I think I need a strong drink.
Doug1
QUOTE (angel @ 26th May 2012, 06:00pm) *
Hello Mags , hope all is well with you
and Mike is being a good boy , tongue.gif
Our big problem in my neck of the woods
is the lack of rain .
In the northen part of Ontario ,
there are communities , that have been evacuated
because of wild fires , although rain is forcast , it has'nt
developed here in the Niagara region , the earth is like pig iron ,
that cost money to water , it's much too early in the season
to start dealing with drought conditions .

I had a very nice meet a couple of weeks past , with Catherine ,Jakka
, chookie , lizzielou , Isobel and Andy . a lovely afternoon ... well maybe a wee bit longer unsure.gif laugh.gif take care , Mags... Pat

Hi Angel. I have a lovely cousin who i email all the time who lives in Hornpayne which she tells me is in northern ontario. Do you know the place ?? I know it's very remote. Her husband is a locomotive engineer and drives trains throughout the area and down to Sudbury. We met 2 years ago when she was doing a family tree for her Australian family and have been great pals ever since. Although she has never been to Scotland her g/parents told her all aboot us and now she fair loves the place and even talks to my kids on facebook. Whit did we dae before ancestry .com !!!
________
angel
Hello Doug1
I have never visited Hornepayne ,
but here is a wee bit Info on that small
Township , that you may already know smile.gif

Hornepayne is a township of 1050 people (Canada 2011 Census) located in the Algoma District of Ontario, Canada. The town was originally established in 1915 as Fitzback when the Canadian Northern Railway's transcontinental line was built through the area. It was renamed Hornepayne in 1920 after British financier Robert Horne-Payne. The municipality is currently incorporated as Wicksteed Township, after the geographic township in which Hornepayne is located....

Economy.......Hornepayne serves as a railway divisional point on the main Canadian National Railway line. The forestry industry (by way of Haavaldsrud's Timber Company[6]) is the major employer to the local economy. Hunting and fishing related tourism in the area (particularly just north of the town in nearby Nagagami Lake Provincial Park) is served by several small companies[7][8][9].

The township of Hornepayne has been the proposed site of a low level nuclear waste storage facility for some time. The town's community liaison group chose to withdraw from this development in the early '90s[10], but as of May 2010 the township is still being considered for nuclear waste management/storage.[11]

Hornepayne was served by the Hornepayne Municipal Airport and the Hornepayne railway station which is a stop for Via Rail's transcontinental train The Canadian. smile.gif

Cheers to you Doug1 smile.gif
Doug1
QUOTE (angel @ 3rd Jun 2012, 06:47pm) *
Hello Doug1
I have never visited Hornepayne ,
but here is a wee bit Info on that small
Township , that you may already know smile.gif

Hornepayne is a township of 1050 people (Canada 2011 Census) located in the Algoma District of Ontario, Canada. The town was originally established in 1915 as Fitzback when the Canadian Northern Railway's transcontinental line was built through the area. It was renamed Hornepayne in 1920 after British financier Robert Horne-Payne. The municipality is currently incorporated as Wicksteed Township, after the geographic township in which Hornepayne is located....

Economy.......Hornepayne serves as a railway divisional point on the main Canadian National Railway line. The forestry industry (by way of Haavaldsrud's Timber Company[6]) is the major employer to the local economy. Hunting and fishing related tourism in the area (particularly just north of the town in nearby Nagagami Lake Provincial Park) is served by several small companies[7][8][9].

The township of Hornepayne has been the proposed site of a low level nuclear waste storage facility for some time. The town's community liaison group chose to withdraw from this development in the early '90s[10], but as of May 2010 the township is still being considered for nuclear waste management/storage.[11]

Hornepayne was served by the Hornepayne Municipal Airport and the Hornepayne railway station which is a stop for Via Rail's transcontinental train The Canadian. smile.gif

Cheers to you Doug1 smile.gif

Thanks Angel. A lot of that i dindt know. Mind you it doesnt seem like a great holiday destination does it?? but my cousin is such good fun to blether to i might just have to make that visit. I always think it's the people that count no the place. Cheers my friend and many thanks

A rather dreary day today , wet and cool .
grandson comming for supper ,which will be a beef stew ,
soup and baked rice for dessert , it's a winters' day meal . sad.gif
Isobel
We have had a very busy few days , kids moving in .Tomorrow is the closing for their house, so things should start to settle down.Looks like they could be here till after Christmas.
The weather is very cool and damp today. Hard to take after all the fantastic weather we have been having.
Heather, sorry for your loss, you have sure had quite a run of it .
Heather
I have had a few busy days.
Yesterday I was gardening, cuttting down dead plants, planting flowers, and giving the lawn some feed as it's not looking at it's best. Then through to the back garden getting rid of a lot of weeds and cutting the grass.
My poor back was sore, so I had a long soak in a nice warm bath.

Today it was finally taking down the heavy curtains in the sitting room, ironing the summer one's which are lined, so I have to iron both sides, then hanging them up.
Still got the bedrooms to do but at least those windows are not as wide as the sitting room window so the curtains are no so wide.
Maybe do them tomorrow. I said maybe. wink.gif

Aye Isobel it's been a hard time in the family. By the time I go it will be an empty Chapel as too many family and friends have gone before me.
Isobel
Heather you sound like my sister. I always tell her not to worry I will be there. I willl probably go before her.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.