Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
angel

Elma , I thank you so much for your kind offer
and who knows , just maybe we will meet biggrin.gif
I see that you had a nice vacation , looks like
the sort of break I would enjoy , hope you have a lot more.
I have allready spoken with my Grandson from
the Calgary airport , and all seems to be well . biggrin.gif
Gemini
that sure was a really nice gesture Elma you made to Angel I was talking with her on the land line and she sounded so sad I knew how she felt as I had felt the same way when my daughter moved down south and took my three grandkids but it made for my hubby and me such nice trips when we would go visit
Gemini
hey Heather got the packing out and guess what I still couldn't blow the old nose as she cauterized and said "no blowing the nose for 48 hrs." gee whiz ninetysix hours 'til I can have a good hefty blow. boy I tell you how cruel these doctors are at times laugh.gif laugh.gif
angel

This is voting day here , so I will get out and see if I can help
to get rid of our present provincial government , and go check out our new swimming pool in town . biggrin.gif

bilbo.s
Off to Cabo de Gata, in search of flamingoes. Do you know the way to San Jose ?
RonD
QUOTE (angel @ 6th Oct 2011, 04:19pm) *
This is voting day here , so I will get out and see if I can help
to get rid of our present provincial government , and go check out our new swimming pool in town . biggrin.gif

Where's the new pool Angel. I have fond memories of the Cyanamid pool, with old chip truck, and paper drinking cup size of chips for ten cents. I learned to swim at the Municipal on Valley Way. smile.gif
irrie
Morning all. Lucky for some. MY ma is away for a week and i am going round to do some work in her house. It is pouring down outside so i guess i wouldnt be doing much else anyway. Cheers.
angel
QUOTE (RonD @ 10th Oct 2011, 07:19am) *
Where's the new pool Angel. I have fond memories of the Cyanamid pool, with old chip truck, and paper drinking cup size of chips for ten cents. I learned to swim at the Municipal on Valley Way. smile.gif

Morning Ron , Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wife .

I have a moment or two out of the kitchen with a cuppa ,
it's been a busy morning ,still is , family comming over for dinner today ..
the old Cyanamid pool Ron , many a great little picnic we would have at that pool with the boys , we did'nt at that time stay far , so we could walk and in the heat that pool was a blessing ,but it has been long gone now for years sad.gif . the YMCA had an indoor pool down on forth ave
but they are now up on montrose rd / mountain rd at McLeod , I always get mixed up with those two it's a very nice building , and the new pool is run by the " boys and girls club " both in the same area . a nice pool
but the changing rooms a bit too small .
I still go to Valley Way in the summer , during adults only in the mornings ,maybe a couple of times a week, "now thats a great pool "
and when the grand kids where younger we spent lots of time at Valley Way .
where the Cyanamid pool was , is now a Hockey Arena , just a bit further back . cheers Ron , take care smile.gif
angel
PS .. I have to get that Bar set up , biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Oct 2011, 07:12am) *
Off to Cabo de Gata, in search of flamingoes. Do you know the way to San Jose ?

have a nice day Bill , smile.gif

You too Iri ..cheers

Isobel
Well I'm going to take it easy and enjoy the glorious weather.Long may it last.Keep wondering when its all going to end its Canada after all, one of these days it may be snow, so we are making the most of it, its been a great summer .Had a great day yesterday with all the family, great Thanksgiving.Today it will be turkey on rolls.Angel is you family in Calgary now?Just be positive and think of all the great trips you are going to have.
angel
Isobel, glad you had a great thanksgiving and yes the weather has been exceptional for this time of year , " Hockey season " biggrin.gif
I had our thanksgiving dinner today , I am tired , but it was a wonderful
time, everyone had their meal outside , on the patio , just perfect.
My younger son and his family have gone out to Calgary , and I'm sure that I will at some point go for a visit .
I've had two grandchildren born in Germany which involved several
trips to see them and two born in Edmonton , more trips ! so I guess Calgary will be a breeze ... or maybe I'll just pay his fare and he can come see me, but as long as all goes well for them , then thats what is important
and I do have the rest of my family here in Ontario . biggrin.gif

Heather
I'm off to the UCM tonight.

I don't think there is anything special on tonight, but at least we will have a wee cup of tea and a blether. smile.gif
Isobel
Angel not sure where you are in Ontario but I am in Georgetown you are always welcome to drop by here.Another nice day, just watching City Line then taking off to the garden center.They always have some nice finds at this time of the year.
Heather
Two Fire Engine's came up our Avenue this afternoon but could not find the house needing their help.
The address was given as the Path across from our house but the house number did not exist.

The only house with that number is ours and we most certainly did not call the Fire Brigade.
I don't know what the outcome was as I was busy and did not notice when they went away.
angel

the weather today was'nt very good "Rain" so I stayed home and rearranged the clothing closets , getting the summer clothes put away and checking the winter stuff . think our summer is now over . but it has been wonderful . cool.gif
angel

I met up with a couple of friends today and we went to the pool
and afterwards had lunch , I had that hamburger with onion rings ,
very good , Elma. biggrin.gif
angel
QUOTE (Isobel @ 11th Oct 2011, 01:56pm) *
Angel not sure where you are in Ontario but I am in Georgetown you are always welcome to drop by here.Another nice day, just watching City Line then taking off to the garden center.They always have some nice finds at this time of the year.

thanks for the invite Isobel , maybe one of these days .
I would pm you anyway . smile.gif
Heather
We are off to a Cabaret tonight in our Parish Hall, so it's not far to go. smile.gif

There will be a buffet as well, so I'll get my wee cup of tea. smile.gif

glasgow lass
Hey guys good morning! got lots to get done today before a leave on vacation.Wasn't sure if a wanted to go this year as a have been having much sadness, but they say the change might be the lift a need. So anyway everywin ah'll say cheerio now incase a dont have time later to say it. Take care of yourselves one-and-all. Love Lass. wub.gif smile.gif
proudmaryhiller
Hi Lass, just popped in for a wee minute! have a great time and take care and we'll see you when you get back, missing you already....hurry back wub.gif
annie laurie
Hi Glasgow Lass

You enjoy your holiday and take care of yourself also,You have earned a wee break, I am sure
time is the best healer of everything,
One day at a time

Haave fun
Cheers OXO
angel

Lass , hope you have a lovely holiday cool.gif cool.gif
Heather
Lass where are you off to?? Have a good time any way.

Today we were at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall for our G'son's Graduation.
He Graduated with a HND in Performing Arts. smile.gif
glasgow lass
I'll do ma very best to have a good time Heather,,,,,,,Im off to Rome and the south of France this time Heather. biggrin.gif
glasgow lass
Hope you enjoyed the grad night Heather,,,,best of luck to your grandson biggrin.gif ,,,, is he going on to university. smile.gif
Anne1
Have a lovely holiday Lass and try and be good biggrin.gif
Heather
No Lass, he does not have enough Highers.

He is back in College hoping to get a few more Highers. Then we will see what he decide's.
It finally got through to him that getting into Acting full time is not easy no matter how good you are and the day will come when he needs to earn a living.

Lucky you off to Italy again. smile.gif
bilbo.s
Off to the Feria today, the biggest fiesta of the year in Albuņol. Hope it keeps dry, as we have had a few showers this week. Lots of music, singing and dancing, horse show, funfare, free wine and tapas. Spanish ladies dressed up in their flamenco finery. Started last night and ends Tuesday night with firework display.

No matter how bad things get, the Spanish will never give up their fiestas. I admire that.
Heather
Bilbo, when my son lived in Spain as a Student he loved the Spanish fiestas.
He still buys Spanish newspapers to keep up on the Spanish language.

I've been doing some knitting today.

Over the last few months I have knitted seven dolls, but the g'daughters got off with three of them. laugh.gif
Today I have been finishing off ' Cinderella in her Ball Gown '.

Next I will knit some childrens mitts. They are so easy and quick to knit and it lets me use up some odd balls of wool.
I will hand them and the dolls in for the Chapel coffee morning in December. smile.gif
angel

I got my puter back today Fri. but I cant't get the sound .
I'll figure it out later .
stratson
Very little! laugh.gif
Heather
Knitting a pirate. laugh.gif
angel

Knitting a pirate.

Heather , Does it look like Johnny Depp ? tongue.gif
angel
QUOTE (stratson @ 14th Nov 2011, 07:11pm) *
Very little! laugh.gif

Stratson , I'm getting supper ready . biggrin.gif
Grandson comming .
Heather
Angel, goodness only knows what it will look like when it's finished.

I've already knitted some dolls and they look no bad.

They are a lot of work with all the wee bits you have to knit, then stuff, then sew all together.
angel

In My Email Today , " Make this a New christmas Tradition "
and let it apply to your own country !

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Canadians with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of Canadian labor. This year will be different. This year Canadians will give the gift of genuine concern for other Canadians. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by Canadians hands. Yes there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?
Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local Canadian hair salon or barber?
Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.
Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, Canadian owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Canadian with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorbike, done at a shop run by the Canadian working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery
and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining Canadian pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about us, encouraging Canadian small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Canadians, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine

The Job You Save Might Be your Own .

Heather
Angel, my American bro-in-law would agree with that.

He always insists on buying made in America goods even cars.
He could have a big fancy foreign car for cheaper than his American car, but says he is keeping fellow American's in a job.
angel

hi , Heather we have alway's done the same . cheers smile.gif
Anne1
Just sitting here reflecting on my Mum & Dad, today 17th Nov is my Mums 7th Anniversary and tomorrow 18th is my dads 21st Anniversary seems like forever since I saw them last, I was lucky that I was 66yrs old when my Mum passed away she used to take the mickey about me and her collecting our O.A.P. pensions together. God how I miss them both
angel

You know Anne , I am always please'd when I dream of my husband and
my parents , because I can always see their face's as I remember . take care . Angel x
Heather
I went to the Wool Shop in the Gallowgate this morning and bought some Aran wool to knit myself a couple of sweaters. I got dark red and a nice blue shade, not too dark.
I should have been knitting sweaters ready for the Winter instead of wee dolls. rolleyes.gif

I still have the Pirate's hat to finish off then sew on thank goodness and that's it finished.
It was more trouble and work than the women dolls. Typical males. laugh.gif
angel
I hav'nt had my car these past few days because my D.I.L's car quit on her , I let her have mine so as she could get to work and also shop for a car and I'm happy to say that she got the car she was looking for , so I will now go do a little shopping myself and take the car tomorrow to have the tires switched over for winter .
proudmaryhiller
Went to Asda in Bearsden to get my Vegetarian food and all the staff were outside, fire alarm had gone off and the fire service were checking everything was okay, wee bit cold to be hanging about, thank goodness we had the car!

Heather, I think that's a great gift to have being able to knit, can do scarves but jumpers they never seem to turn out right!
Heather
PMH, maybe you are knitting the wrong size.

I bought a new Aran Pattern during the summer to knit a sweater for the Winter. I knitted my usual size, but with this pattern it came up too small. sad.gif
It's a size 10 and I take a size 12 in sweaters.

So I'll knit a size 14 this time and hopefully it will fit.

I'll hand the Aran sweater in with the knitted dolls & mitts for the Chapel Coffee Morning in December.
proudmaryhiller
Heather, I think you could be right there, the jumper I attempted to knit would have fitted a 5 year old lol! don't know what I did wrong.

I once bought a beautiful arran sweater many years ago when on holiday in Millport, a lovely lady who lived in Largs knitted them for this shop, I thought how clever to be able to knit such an intricate design, don't think I could ever do anything like that!, once tried to knit a Thomas the Tank Engine pattern for my nephew years ago, geez what a disaster biggrin.gif

Maybe take it up again...practice makes perfect I suppose biggrin.gif
bilbo.s
Bet nobody believes this, but I learned to knit as a child- started out with pencils and a ball of string to make a belt and ended up winning a prize at school for the best Christmas gift- a quite intricate lacy scarf for ma mammy. I was about 10 or 11 at the time and got some funny looks at my all boys school. wub.gif

My wife knitted Arans for many years for a company which paid her a pittance.
Heather
Angel, here is the Pirate and he was a lot of work.

The dolls. I think they look like Miss Piggy dressed up. laugh.gif

The 10yrs old g'daughter got off with the best of them. I was lucky she left me those four. biggrin.gif

Cinderella, Daisy, Sophie, & Amelia
Heather
PMH, here is the sweater I knitted and was a bit too small. Probably fit someone who takes a size 10.

I wonder how much it will be sold for at the Coffee Morning???

angel

Nice work Heather , hope all of them make a good price ,
Although I have never thought that hand knitted items ever
get their true value , considering the time and effort that goes into
making them , the wee pirate does look like ,
Johhny Depp . biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.