Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
joycewilson
Morning All, Just popping in with a cuppa before bed, got my electric blanket on, its freezing again wrap up if your out and about in Glasgow..Brrrr
Melody
Enjoy your tea Joyce. It's white with frost again here. sad.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 6th Jan 2011, 10:23pm) *
Annie it was right next to me. It was lying on the floor to the side of the couch right where I was sitting.

The wool is 80% acrylic and 20% wool. I can't wear wool next to my skin as it makes me itch. Even if I wore a long sleeved vest I would still itch.

A hot brush is made of some kind of hard material and is similar to a hair brush and plugs into the electricity point. Sometimes I use it instead of tongs to smooth my hair out.
The bristles on that one must have been hard rubber as it melted because as I said, I forgot to switch it off, so it was on all day. wub.gif

Heather, what a fright yi' must have got, what were yi' knittin', ...a blazer unsure.gif
penny dainty
Aw Ashet your on fire man.
Heather
Naw Ashfield, I am knitting a flaming red aran sweater. laugh.gif
Anne1
Back from Doctors hes not sure if I have chest Infection or if its a wee bit fluid on my lungs again, anyway hes given me an antibiotic to see if it clears infection, willnae haud ma breath, laugh.gif
angel
Some advice here Anne,! Keep on breathing ,its important to your health
take care, biggrin.gif
Anne1
Will indeed folow your advice Angel laugh.gif laugh.gif
ashfield
QUOTE (Heather @ 7th Jan 2011, 01:31pm) *
Naw Ashfield, I am knitting a flaming red aran sweater. laugh.gif

Goodness, gracious, great balls of.............errr..........wool laugh.gif

Annewan, sorry yir no feelin' well, take care o' yirsel.
Heather
Stay home and stay warm Anne. Best to avoid going out in this cold weather. Although I have read a few times we can't catch a cold from the cold weather, it certainly does not do any good for a chest infection.
Take care Anne.

I was in Morrison's this afternoon and they have big notice's all over the place with Price Crunch on them, what a lie.

I looked at the cooked chicken legs priced at 95 pence each, last week they were 89 pence each.
So I asked the saleman why the increase and he said VAT. So I pointed out to the poor guy that 2 1/2 % of 89 pence is 2 pence not 6 pence. Another worker standing there nodded his head in agreement.
I told him I worked in accounts too long and long before calculators when we had to write up invoices doing the calculations in our head or work out on paper including percentages and I still didn't need a calculator to work out we were being charged 4 pence increase hidden under the name of Vat.
So it's 2 pence to the Vat man and 4 pence to Morrisons. sad.gif
Anne1
Bet your popular in Morrisons Heather biggrin.gif
We are covered in snow again tonight and all the bloody morons have their cars all parked at roadside so they can get out in Morning but last time it happened they couldnt get ambulance in to our complex shouldnt be allowed when I passed there were 9 cars parked up mad.gif
Heather
Anne I told the guy working at the counter I knew it was not his fault it was Morrisons ripping us off as usual.
They are always putting up their prices, but it is the only supermarket near us as the next is Tesco in Shettleston and it would cost a lot more for a taxi than the 3 from Morrisons to our house.

I was loading the groceries into the taxi today when I realised the flowers I bought were still hanging on the back of the trolley. So I asked the taxi driver to wait and I ran back into the store with the flowers and told the check out woman I had forgotten all about them. She looked at me quite taken aback as I could have got away without paying for them, but being an honest person I saw no reason to make a thief of myself for a couple of pounds.

We are also covered in snow, AGAIN. How I hate that white stuff. sad.gif
annie laurie
Good for you Heather,
I know you are a honest lady,
besides you would not have enjoyed the flowers right ? ohmy.gif

By gosh U>K> sure is getting lets of snow,
all our snow has melted it rained here this morning,

very unusual to rain here in January,
keep warm,
Cheers

Anne1 If that was here in our complex, they would have called the tow away truck and moved the cars
As you must leave room for Fire truck or Ambulance, that is the rules

But some people don't care right ? they only think about themselves

angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 7th Jan 2011, 06:24pm) *
Stay home and stay warm Anne. Best to avoid going out in this cold weather. Although I have read a few times we can't catch a cold from the cold weather, it certainly does not do any good for a chest infection.
Take care Anne.

I was in Morrison's this afternoon and they have big notice's all over the place with Price Crunch on them, what a lie.

I looked at the cooked chicken legs priced at 95 pence each, last week they were 89 pence each.
So I asked the saleman why the increase and he said VAT. So I pointed out to the poor guy that 2 1/2 % of 89 pence is 2 pence not 6 pence. Another worker standing there nodded his head in agreement.
I told him I worked in accounts too long and long before calculators when we had to write up invoices doing the calculations in our head or work out on paper including percentages and I still didn't need a calculator to work out we were being charged 4 pence increase hidden under the name of Vat.

Heather , my understanding of "The Vat is - " this tax is added to the purchace price of the sale
therefore the 6p went to the government..... Vat in Canada- 3.8% , in the USA 3.9%, and Australia it's 3.7% that's if it has'nt increased,it may have but I don't bother about it .
I've got to eat. wink.gif
Heather
Angel, in the UK vat went up on the 4th of this month from 17.5 % to 20%. A 2.5% increase.

At 0.89 plus 2.5% = 2pence = 0.91pence and Morrisons have increased that one item by 6pence. That is an increase of 7% increase.
So Morrisons gained more than the Government.

They think we are all daft and cannot count.

As you can see we pay a lot more in vat then you and the USA do.

When I took the g'son to the USA in 2009 he was in his element buying DVDs and he said he got three of them for almost the price of one in the UK.
Even with the difference in Vat, DVDs and a lot of other thigs are cheaper in the USA than the UK.

When him and his sisters were babies, I used to bring back snowsuits for them as they were about half the price in the USA compared to the UK.

BTW Angel I saw a woman in Morrisons and thought I knew her face from somewhere but could not place where. I saw her again a few minutes later and then it dawned on me who she reminded me of, it was yourself Angel. So you have a double in Glasgow.
Do you have any female relations living in the East End of Glasgow??
angel
hi Heather ,I just did a wee bit checking and here in canada we pay 5%
federal vat tax + 8% provincial vat, at this time added to our purchases, sorry for giving you the wrong info., but I honestly don,t pay any attention.
Don;t think that I have any relatives living in the east end that know of
but I do have a very common face, I do think however we all have others who look like ourselves, biggrin.gif
ashfield
Heather, my understanding is that food is VAT exempt.

Where we are, we have a choice of all the major supermarkets (we are well served in Brigadoon laugh.gif ) but we use Tesco and Morrisons most. I have seen some classics on pricing at both stores like a tumble dryer in Tesco 269.98 with a ticket saying it is 269. 99 in Argos. The reality is there is always jiggery-pokery with them, you have to keep a clse eye on how prices fluctuate.
Heather
Ashfield, I was also sure food was exempt from vat except for some items but I'm not sure which one's. But ofcourse if you challenge Morrisons they will blame their staff for given out wrong information.

So now I have checked it up and Morrisons are wrong, poultry is zero vat.

I did go to the Customer Service to complain about it, but I could have stood there all day because no one was there to complain to.
angel
hi Heather , No, not all foods are exempt from vat, anyways not here in
Canada, I did a little reading on this,this morning and I am now more confused than ever.
It seems that, depending on how the food is packaged it can be taxed and is it considered bulk buying or not and is the cost for that item over 4$ , one would have to be a Philadelphia Lawyer in most cases
because it just goes on and on ,so I am now going back to where I was yesterday and just ignore the whole business , because you can't beat city hall. biggrin.gif
joycewilson
HI All, Hows it going? Hope your keeping warm...brrrr. I am going to pop to the local shop buy my paper and bits I need than am in for the day think I will have a wee chill out day clearing out old discs, tapes etc clutter.....and listen to some music, have got a weekend to myself so may as well enjoy it lol...too cold to go out!
Anne1
morning Joyce its sure cold not going far myself today rolleyes.gif
joycewilson
Hi Anne...this snows a nightmare isnt it x
Anne1
think even the kids have had enough laugh.gif
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 7th Jan 2011, 09:24pm) *

Well done Heather, but I must point out a slight error in your calculations. The recent VAT increase from 17.5% to 20% should result in a total price increase of approx 2.13% not 2.5%.
bilbo.s
Most food is VAT exempt but cooked food is not.
stratson
Am staying home, was in and out of bed since early morning. Now have to attend to making dinner,

Keeping up with all that is a real necessity. Am a lazy wee wummin! rolleyes.gif
Heather
Be as lazy as you like Stratson, anyone wanting their dinner, tell them to make it. laugh.gif

I've started reading a book I got in the Library, ' No More Silence'.
It is a true story about a Glasgow boy who ended up in Quarriers Home and was physically and sexually abused.

30 years later as a grown man, he had to give evidence in Court against this abuser in a Case that was the biggest police investigation into systematic sexual and physical abuse at a childrens Home.
Eight abusers were convicted and he finally saw the man who abused him getting sent to Prison.
Anne1
Had a funny old day today [maybe not right place to post this] feel I am surrounded by death of friends and neighbour maybe time of year, we had new neighbours move in beside us middle Nov, they had waited long time for this sheltered housing, so leadin up to xmas we all helped clear our paths neighbour thought he had pulled muscle in his groin and was in agony he went to hospital boxing day turned he had developed abcessess on his pancreas and not pulled muscle in groin poor guy passed away last night, also one woman who goes to bingo her 41yyr old daughter died of swine flu on friday, just as well we dont know whats in front of us sorry for the moan, just needed to get it of my chest sad.gif sad.gif
angel
Anne that is so sad , but sometimes it's just the way the cookie crumbles,
Hope you are feeling better yourself and you are obviously still breathing,
keep up the good work, laugh.gif breathing that is.
Heather
Jings Anne, given the circumstances I would feel the same as you.

It's always feels worse to lose someone at this time of year, but to know so many people who have died in the last few weeks is very upsetting.
Go and punch a pillow and get rid of the frustration, you'll feel better.
annie laurie
Hi Anne1

I was just thinking the same thing myself.
Seems that is all i have heard as well,
My Mum used to say glad to see January gone as it always was a Month of sickness
My Dad passed away in January also, infact his anniversary is to-morrow was just thinking that to myself as well,

Yes live each day one at a time, as we don't know and i am sure don't want to know what to-morrow will bring

Will be thinking of Linda on 11th, also my friend who is having Cancer Surgery, she is so brave is going into have a Kidney removed, {cancer} and she says well i still have another one,
How is that for positive Thinking

Hello February,
Hope the weather warms up a bit for you all and the snow will soon melt,
You have had more snow than we have here in B>C> well so far,where I live
Shsssssssh better not speak to soon, right Elma /?
Heather
Annie, my dad died on 22nd January 1982.
A close uncle also died in January 1971 about the same time as the Ibrox disaster. When we came out the Funeral Parlour some people had gathered and asked us if the deceased was one of those killed at Ibrox. When we told them no, they just walked away.
I thought what they did was in very bad taste.
Elma
Went out for lunch right after Church with a friend and her daughter then home to read e-mails and GG. I'm putting off doing the Church Financial Statements for the meeting tomorrow evening, but I can't procrastinate much longer so I'll get down to them after I've finished on here dry.gif

Snow seems more or less as usual here Annie, we have had about 4-5 feet so far. Remember our elevation, we are the highest city in BC so when you get rain we get snow unsure.gif

January does seem a bad month, my Mum died on January 5, 1987 and my Dad on February 19, 1983 so to me February is just an extension of horrible January.
lindamac
Click to view attachment
QUOTE (Elma @ 10th Jan 2011, 10:02am) *
January does seem a bad month, my Mum died on January 5, 1987 and my Dad on February 19, 1983 so to me February is just an extension of horrible January.

I know how you ladies feel ,my Father also died in January,he passed away in my arms 5 yrs ago however this Jan 14th it will be 6yrs since his passing,What always makes it so hard is the fact that he died a day after my daughters birthday so theres always an element of melancholy as Heathers Birthday draws near,I was glad he didn't pass on her birthday that wouldve been horrible for Heather every year is bad enough knowing it is the day after her Birthday.Great to pop in & say hello friends of GG take care ladies& you Gents too.
penny dainty
Back to work today after nearly 3 weeks off, not happy .....sigh
Elma
[quote name='Elma' date='10th Jan 2011, 12:02am' post='337280']
Went out for lunch right after Church with a friend and her daughter then home to read e-mails and GG. I'm putting off doing the Church Financial Statements for the meeting tomorrow evening, but I can't procrastinate much longer so I'll get down to them after I've finished on here dry.gif

Finished the financials, yippee...... Feel better now, it's amazing how you can feel so guilty when you have something to do and you can't be bothered unsure.gif
stratson
Just hung washing up on the pulley.
Have some business to attend too, after which will just go with the flow. mellow.gif
penny dainty
ummm let me see...oh yeah am going to work ! lol that is if i can find a boat.
joycewilson
Hi All, Back to work for me tonight, got the cold starting, think we all have ....had a nice few days off work, popped over to see my wee Mum yesterday, took her paper and milk over, really still icy over where she lives....so thought it best for her not to come out in that.
Hope you all had a nice weekend.
I have just ran a nice bath, will get myself sorted then pop to shops get in what I need then trelax, try and get a sleep later to get back to nightshift mode...
Heather
Aye Penny, and your not kidding when you said you might need a boat.
We see a lot of it on our TV news and I feel heart sorry for the people who have been flooded out in the floods in Australia.

I remember when my parents lived in Brisbane there were bad floods, this would be about the late 60s early 70s.
My parents lived with my brother and his family, I think it was in Goodna, but their house was at the top of a slope so they were not affected with the flooding that some of their neighbours suffered.
When the floods subsided, mum said everyone who had not been flooded looked out all the household items they could spare, to donate to those who had lost everything.
penny dainty
Yes Heather that would have been in the flood of 74 , that was the last time the Brisbane river burst its banks, so much devastation has been caused with all this water , very scary.So far we are okay , a lot of places are shut and people are panic buying in the supermarkets as there is going to be a lot of empty shelves , goods cant pass on the roads there are so many blocked by flood water.Certainly a land of extremes , this time last year we were in the throws of a bad drought.
Anne1
been watching the latest news on Brisbane my god what a disaster god help those poor folk
angel
Anne, I'm seeing the same here on the news a terrible disaster,
and looks like it won't be over for some time.
Heather
After just mentioning Goodna early on today, I got a Christmas card today from my sis-in-law who still lives in Goodna. The date stamp on the envelope was the 13th December, that was almost a month to deliver a card sent airmail. wub.gif
Anne1
Its another Zilch and Footer day for me cant concentrate on any one thing, so Zilch ^ Footer here I come sad.gif sad.gif
stratson
Had to lie down today at lunchtime. my lower body was frozen,

Wonderful warm bed helps,think have a chill in bladder, only my opinion. not a Drs.

Had some of my Ham and Lentil soup, before going to bed.

My g/daughter came to visit, she then she had to get away to pick Zak up from nursery.

Back to bed for me now, best place for chills. smile.gif

Son waiting to go on computer. rolleyes.gif
Heather
The two g'daughters came round and sorted out the IPod I got at Christmas.

What a carry on it was with the information you have to put on.
You can't do anything nowadays without having to put in your email address, password and your Debit Card Number, then they charge you 79pence to download one wee song. At least I got a 15 card from someone, I think it was in the gifts I got from my son.

I still haven't a clue how it all works, but will keep trying.

I think it's been an odd day for a lot of us because our mind has been on one person, Stuarty.
glasgow lass
Im home from wurk now, and whit a low day a had. Heather you are on the mark about thinking of stuarty today. From the minit a got up this morning a dont know how many times I thought about her cremation today , a felt such a void within , not ma usual self. Anyway a was able to cut the work day short , try to rest ma mind now. sad.gif
penny dainty
Work again today , was one of the few who made it in to work , we are not affected by the floods where we are , well at present ,she says touching wood.
angel
my goodness Penny ,our weather here seems so trivial compared with
what is happening in your neck of the woods, so I won,t mention it Ha
Ha , because we can at least clear it away, we can only hope that those rains will subside really soon if not sooner .take care smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.