Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
glasgow lass
QUOTE (witshisname @ 18th Sep 2009, 05:03pm) *
Headin over to the Cemetary and putting down some flowers for ma wee Ma,she would have been 78 today mellow.gif

Oh God bless'yi wits thats a lovely thing to do.
glasgow lass
QUOTE (Anne1 @ 20th Sep 2009, 07:03pm) *
Had a wee drive up the Garsube Rd onto the Maryhill Rd then up Lochburn Rd on way to cemetary, felt very nostalgic
today seeing all the old places that meant so much to me, finished at cemetary and came back through Lambhill into Saracen then home still feeling a wee bitty weepie and nostalgic but it will pass sad.gif

Hi Anne so nice to see'yi on line again, am weepie noo after reading your post as that was the last wee walk me and wee Bridie took befor we departed our beloved Glasgow smile.gif
RonD
Ah cin appreciate a' the nostalgic trips, as ah huv hud them ma sel'. Ah remember oan ma trip in 2005 goin' furra walk ootside ma cousin's B & B in Stepps an' ah found ma sel' a wee bit weepie bein' hame an no even bein' in ma auld neighbourhood, However, yesterday ah hud a very Canadian day, we went intae the local farmer's market and looked at a' the veggies before buyin' some, but there wiz others ther sellin' crafty stuff, baked goods and allsorts and ah forgoat tae bring ma chain saw tae get sharpened by a fella who is there every week. A' the while we were being serenaded by a busker. Ah met a fella that ah know and hudnae seen in ages who comes fae Anniesland. A pleasant morning tae be followed by a trip tae Mrs.RonD's sister an' brother in law who just came back fae trip down east in Quebec City and Nova Scotia so we killed a few brain cells hearin' a' aboot that, very pleasant day.
lindamac
Click to view attachment Wittsees matey!

QUOTE (witshisname @ 19th Sep 2009, 03:03am) *
Headin over to the Cemetary and putting down some flowers for ma wee Ma,she would have been 78 today mellow.gif

Thats so sweet Wittsees matey ,It was my mums 78th Birthday yesterday Sept 20th I sent her flowers interflora Betya miss yer wee maw pal God Bless ye for ensuring she gets her wee floowers oan her Birthday pal.awe us weans should remember tae dae that eh pal.Luv Lindamac x
Anne1
What a miserable day got soaked going to Drs for Iron injection, but cheered ouselves up wae a wee ttrip tae Greggs and got a couple of Pineapple Tarts and two Strawberry ones as well mmmmmmmmmmmmmm laugh.gif
Heather
Well Annewan, if you had any decency in you, you would have got me a couple of doughnuts when you were in Greggs. The plain sugary one's just like my mum made.
Greggs doughnuts are the only one's I like. I'm sure they got the recipe from my mum.

I said that to one of the sales women one day and she had a good laugh about it. laugh.gif

stuarty
Lydia has just arrived and im looking after her as her daddy is looking after his partner due to her mum passing away,,,,,, so Lydias mum brought her to me so must go as she has just arrived whoopee wub.gif
witshisname
just relaxing today,the workers are setting the paving stones today,so thankfully they will be gone soon.
Have a great time with Lydia stuarty smile.gif wub.gif
Anne1
Had a nice easy relaxing day today went to see my sister & hubby for coffee very nice rolleyes.gif

Tomorrow is very busy Nev has fracture clinic and I have physio both at different hospital, so we will be like two blue......flies by the time were done
joycewilson
HI All, Not doing a lot tonight as Im working...finish on Mon for two weeks holiday, my sister arrived from oz on Sunday so gonna be spending some time with Mum and her cant wait x x x
Anne1
Sounds good Joyce enjoy your time together, how is your Mum doing

witshisname
Been Trying to call ma wee Auntie in Glasgow as it's her 88th B'day today,My cousin must have taken her away for the day smile.gif wub.gif
joycewilson
Just going to sleep the day away again.
Mums doing good Ann1, my sister Norma being here has been the best tonic she could have had, she is loving having her there and is still rushing around doing everything.....only obvious thing with Mum is she is losing weight...but we plan to make the most of our time with her and have lots off good memories ..thanks for asking x
CAT
Enjoy your sleep Joyce, just dream about your 2 weeks off.
I'm working today but was supposed to book a last minute break away for the weekend. Hubby is in too much main with his hip and leg to go anywhere far so we're just going to have a wee holiday at home in not so sunny Glasgow. biggrin.gif

The merchant city festival os on this weekend so we will just go there, after some shoping of course, well I have saved money hotels and travel laugh.gif Hope it's nice and we can enjoy some good food lots of drinks and some free music.
Why did I ever think of going away??
stuarty
im trying to pack and please can a say no more e mails from now until 07th of october when i get up to glasgow thank you people wub.gif
Anne1
Just back from Physio I am all aches and pains now, still its supposed to work unsure.gif
stuarty
i had reflexoligy very good and then put car through its first mot 9005 miles since new and passed with flying colours black betty gets a wee thumbs up again shes so good on petrol so the car is almost full up with my stuff and the doggie went mad when she seen her toys going in the suitcase so shes happy wub.gif wub.gif a will be in kirkgunzeon the morra near dumfries cowans farm a love it so thats ma day
Anne1
Have a safe journey Stuarty, enjoy Dumfries doll see you in October biggrin.gif
Heather
Joyce, it's good to hear your mum is doing well.
Your sister being here will have put new new life into your mum.

Annewan, have a nice long warm bath to ease your aches and pains.

I'm going off my head stuck in the house. I play silly games on the PC and do my knitting.
I'm bored out my skull. sad.gif
stratson
I know how your feeling Heather. I haven't been out since Thursday, however have made up my mind to walk for at least 1 hour today, even if it rains . You really have to exercise the auld legs.
Once you get mobile there will be no stopping you.
Am gonna have to get a hobby to replace my allotment. Thining of taking up painting, used to be into it when my children were young.
Lucky you all those trips to Rome, something I have never done. Must be wonderful. smile.gif
stratson
I know how your feeling Heather. I haven't been out since Thursday, however have made up my mind to walk for at least 1 hour today, even if it rains . You really have to exercise the auld legs.
Once you get mobile there will be no stopping you.
Am gonna have to get a hobby to replace my allotment. Thinking of taking up painting, used to be into it when my children were young.
Lucky you all those trips to Rome, something I have never done. Must be wonderful. smile.gif
Heather
Stratson, what's happened to the Allotment, have you given it up????
carmella
Just thought I'd come in and see what you are all doing.

We all get bored Heather, and with me, it's the winter weather and the soon to be early dark nights that get to me. I find it depresses me.

I have had some busy days recently, trying to look at good nursing homes for my wee auntie as some of you know. They range from 450 - 700 per week, seen them all in this area, Care Homes and Nursing Homes alike. But today (since this is what the topic is about LOL) I have to go over to her house as I'm having the gas isolated from her cooker. She is leaving it on, sometimes the hob is lit, sometimes you walk in and smell the gas. I have to think of her safety and since she's in a flat 3 up - I have to think of other people too.

She won't understand, since her Alzheimers is getting worse on a daily basis, why I'm doing this after all, she doesn't know she's got bad short term memory - but she's a big worry to me.

I'd now like to see her in a nursing home before Christmas - problem is, they all have waiting lists.

Walking is the best exercise. I used to walk a lot, but these days hardly ever.
Heather
Carmella, with a plaster cast on my foot I can hardly walk the length of myself, it's hoppity, hop, hop.

I go back to the Fracture Clinic next Monday and hopefully will get the cast off.
carmella
Oh my goodness Heather, that's a shame. My wee aunty fell a couple of years ago, she slipped on a piece of black ice, but she was lucky she only fractured her wrist - at her age of 84 at the time, it could have been much worse.

I had to take her to the clinic 3 or 4 times, you should have seen her face when they brought the saw out to get the cast off - wee soul was terrified.

Luckily, she mended quite well though.
Heather
Carmella, with a plaster cast on my foot I can hardly walk the length of myself, it's hoppity, hop, hop.
That's why I'm stuck in the house.

The only time I've been out in the past four weeks is to Mass.
We get a taxi down to the Chapel and some kind hearted parishioner's drive us home.
Mind you, I've had to threaten a few of them with my crutches. I could write a joke book with the cracks thrown at me about my broken foot. laugh.gif
Typical Glaswegians.

I go back to the Fracture Clinic next Monday and hopefully will get the cast off.
Anne1
Today ive been for physio then after that went for Iron injection feel as if we are living in the doctors surgery and I dont like it sad.gif

Heather
Today we celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary. We're stuck in the house because I'm still on crutches.

Husband got me a lovely card and a bouquet of flowers. I gave him money to treat himself as I can't get out. He'll probably spend it in the pub tomorrow with our son, g'son and their friends. They are all going to watch the Celtic v Rangers football match. So he'll either be celebrating or drowning his sorrows.

C'mon the Tic. wink.gif
Anne1
Congrautlations Heather cant believe its a year since your party ..aye com on the Tic
Anne1
Congrautlations Heather cant believe its a year since your party ..aye com on the Tic
Heather
Anne would you believe we still have a bottle of champagne in the cupboard since last year. I discovered it last week but forgot about it today.

I'll open it tomorrow as it's Maurice's birthday.
penny dainty
Can I come too , I like champagne rolleyes.gif
Well I'm having a relaxing day today.Yesterday my two moved into a flat together so it's the empty nest syndrome now.
I worked like a navvy yesterday to get everything done and make the move go smoothly.All is good and the place is looking nice.
Wonder how long it will be till they are fighting and wanting to come back home.
Did I mention I was moving and not telling the kids laugh.gif
Anne1
Had an early start today dropped Nev of at Gartnavel at 7.45am came back gt a pot of Ham &Lentil on the go will freeze half of it later, also got Mince on the go plus Bolognese and will also freeze these later, I like having a day to do a wee bit of Batch cooking and this afternoon will do a Liver Bacon casserole for Nev[dont like it]and some lasagne and thats my lot for today will go and see Nev this evening biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
penny dainty
Hope Nev is going good Annewan , give him my regards.
Heather
I was at the Fracture Clinic today and got the Plaster Cast off my foot. It's a funny feeling when they drill through the plaster.

I was so optimistic I took my other shoe with me, but the Doctor took one look at the foot and told me the foot was still too swollen and the shoe would not go on. I tried it anyway, but she was right. So I still have the shoe thing they put on and the crutches.
But the Doctor said I have to try walking using the sore foot as it will help the bone but not to over do it as it will take another two to four weeks for the bone to heal.

I now have a double tubie grip from my toes to my knee, but can take it off at night.
I had a nice long soak in the bath tonight and it was great. smile.gif
Anne1
glad laugh.gif you got your cast of Heather now mind and stay out of cyber pub lassie
CAT
Just popped in tae see how yer all doin as I've not had much time recently.

Heather glad ye've got that cast of but don't go drinkin that champagne or ye might end up with it back on again laugh.gif
If it's sitting there doin nothin I think I'm only along the road and I'd only be too pleased to dispose of it. biggrin.gif
stratson
Heather, hope your fit by October 24th, for stuarty's party.

Get yer party piece ready, I know you like a jig! laugh.gif
Anne1
Back from health centre where I got my iron injection thankfully only one more to go.
Looking forward to the party stratson see you there biggrin.gif
Heather
Stratson I don't think I'll manage to Stuarty's party.

It's the coming back home at night as I would have to get a taxi. I never sit in a taxi myself at night if I can help it. I'm too scared. wub.gif

The last time I got a taxi at night I was scared out my wits. I had spent six hours at the hospital when my mum was ill so had to take a taxi home and I sat right next to the door with my hand on the door handle. If the taxi had taken a road I did not know I would have been out the door double quick.
I have always been the same.

On one occasion when Maurice and I were going out together the busses went on strike without notice and I could not get home. So Maurice stopped a taxi and I refused to go in it, but we saw another girl who lived near me and her boyfriend was trying to get a taxi for her. So we shared the taxi and I got off at the same time as she did.
Anne1
we will bring you home Heather[if a dont get lost]
Catherine
Good on ye Anne.

Heather funny you feel like that........Years ago as a Teenager an goin intae the Dancin, it wis a Rule that if it wis too late, ahd jist tae jump a Taxi home an no worry.
Bein a Teenager ah milked it tae the hilt, much tae ma Dads annoyance when he'd tae get up oota bed every time an pay the Driver . Ah cost him a fortune noo ah think aboot it laugh.gif
Anyway, one night, an rememberin ah come fae Lennoxtown so we're talkin dark country roads once yer oot the Main roads........did the Taxi guy no pull over in between the Torrance and Campsie Road an say mind if ah pull ower an huv a smoke.
Now up until then ahd been chattin away as ye do, but immediately ah thoat OH OH........an jist said 'ye know ma Dads waitin up for me an he knows ahm oan the way home so ah cannae really waste time.
Nae bother he said, an off we went again.
Ah wis too young an stupit tae thin of takin his number, and don't think other than flirtin wae a young girl he meant any harm........but it's somethin ahv never forgotten an tae this day checkin oot the ID an the Taxi number when ahm alone is top priority.

Ma Sister an Niece fly in the day for a week.......so ahm aw excited, that's whit ahm daen the day, excitement laugh.gif
Marion Niven Dougan
Enjoy the family Catherine. I am going to get marked up for Radiation today. Last time I went I lay still for over an hour, went back following week and the marks were in the wrong place. Then the bloody machine hit me on the hip and all the alarms went off. Better luck this time I hope
Heather
Catherine taking down the taxi drivers licence number was advice a friend of ours always handed out.

That night after I came home from the hospital, I told my husband how scared I was and was ready to jump out of the taxi. He said I probably would have got knocked down and killed.
I told him I would rather die that way then be raped and murdered. He had no answer to that. wub.gif
We always use the same taxi Firm, so our name would be on their computer. I would never stop any taxi when out on my own.

Marion, good luck with your next treatment.
Gallusbisom
Hi,
I know there is a thread going about Private Hire etc. in Glasgow but can we hear from some of the Cab Drivers?
I arrived two hours late at Glasgow Airport and my cousin, who was to pick me up, had left.There was no notice that the arrival was late. I came out of the airport and being used to just getting a cab world over got into the first one who appeared to take Amex. (I did NOT have a lot of Sterling or Euros with me it was an unexpected trip and I wanted the points) As it turned out this cab did NOT take Amex (now I am used to that scenario in Paris) but when he said cash only I got worried,, I advised him that I did not have a lot of pounds on me (about 30 if memory serves) and he said and I quote "no tae worry hen, disnae matter, ah'll see you safe tae hame" He drove me from Glasgow Airport to B----- When we arrived, he helped me out of the car and REFUSED any payment. He was not happy with my cousin who had not picked me up (the cab driver had no idea that the delay had not been shown and he thought that, under the circumstances I had taken another flight and would advise him, he had waited over 3hrs.) He was quite cross with my cousin for having "left" me to find my way to his home.

I left the all my sterling plus a bunch of Can. on the back seat. This man went out of his way, for what he thought was a non-paying fare to make sure that I got safely to B----------, I think that is t be thankful for. All cabbies are not roughes or mean. I did not get his name or his nunber but I so wish I had, he was a Glasgow Gentleman and made sure that I got home safe and sound and he did not even want payment.

GB
Catherine
GB Fantastic story! biggrin.gif

Sorry if I came across no liking Taxi Drivers, the ones at home are the BEST. Most of them talk the whole road home..or is that me? laugh.gif
I was just replying to Heather's post and how she feels vulnerable in them, I can understand that up to a point. Ahv never actually thought one would harm me though.
Gallusbisom
Hi,

No I did not get that impression at all, one has to be careful at ALL times, just makes sense. I always carry a Swiss Army Knife with me---family insists on it DUH ????????? Safety first.

I have another story, which bothers me a lot. HRH and I had taken a taxi from a really nice hotel in Glasgow (where we had hosted some of the family), back to the hotel we were staying at. The Taxi arrived and it (again) had the Amex. sign on it ( I just love those travel points) and the YOUNG Lady took us to our destination, a few blocks but you know what iit is like when you are with relies you have not seen in donkey's years and yakking your brains out , you don't pay much attention and she (and it was late at night) took our card and we were never billed for it. Not fair, I have no way of knowing why not but at aprox. 1.30am in the morning this young lady should at the very least be paid for the fair. I would not do what she had the gumption to do. The thing that worries me is that she probably never got paid. That is not right. GB
penny dainty
Going away in the caravan this weekend , yipee
Anne1
Have a lovely time Penny try and be good laugh.gif
penny dainty
I'm back , had a lovely time, laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.