Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
wellfield
Hi again ken'...I also visited (stayed at some) Rothesay/Greenock/Largs/Saltcoats/Girvan/Millport/Ayr/Irvine/Stewarton/Kilmarnock/Falkirk Wheel/Cumbernauld/Drumchapel/Springburn,Balornock/Bishopbriggs/Kilsyth/took Virgin train from Glasgow to Lake District.Windermere/Bowness/Lakeside,also squeezed in visiitng over 50 relatives and old friends,with two family re-unions on both sides....Oh' and tons of Fish n' Chips,not to forget gallons of Tennants Lager!.....did a lot in one month!.....Campbell
wellfield
I'd say the highlights of my trip was Glasgow in general,a week in Fife,a friend in St Andrews took us on a tour of the old course clubhouse compete with lunch in the clubhouse,what a place!.....loved Pittenweem,ate at the 'Best Fish n' Chips' in Scotland... Elie (stayed there 3 nights at Kilconquer Castle) Anstruther harbor was just like a postcard....a full month indeed!....and actually the weather was very good!
norrie123
Wellfield you sure crammed a lot in, you need a holiday, glad you had a good time

Bye for now, norrie

Off to to the River Ayr walk today, 11 miles, sunny today yippeeeeee

Bye for now, norrie
kenb
hi wellfield you certainly crammed them in, the two places i have special memories of drumchapel and the falkirk wheel i grew up in the drum,the wheel i visited and learned to segway?(two wheels with a standing platform its great fun ,i know most of the rest of your list but these are recent places right about the immigrants i thought theyb were polish but thenglasgw has always had them
Dave Grieve
Just in case anybody is thinking of going for a swim today dont swim here. Swimming alongside the Sharks is not advisable. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
zascot
Please hide that notice Dave. I`ll send some of my suppliers down for a swim. biggrin.gif Not bad 21c water temp. winter on the way up here but still mid 20s.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (zascot @ 12th May 2017, 08:08am) *
Please hide that notice Dave. I`ll send some of my suppliers down for a swim. biggrin.gif Not bad 21c water temp. winter on the way up here but still mid 20s.

Not today Alex, cloudy, raining until Tuesday apparently and even talk of snow in Ladysmith
glasgow lass
biggrin.gif Hello all, I see you have all been keeping busy and keeping out of trouble tongue.gif
That sounds like a very nice time you had wellfield on yir hols, Ive not been in Glasgow for a few years now sad.gif
Today I had to do everything that I had planned for tomorrow because Ill be at the celebration of Our Lady of Fatima, prob most of the day.
There will be a candlelight procession after Mass. SO looking forward to it and meeting up with my sister and a few friends.
Im not long back from a beautiful cruise , just a day or so. Still getting the cases unpacked, not fun smile.gif)
wellfield
Glad you had a lovely cruise,keep your bag packed Glasgow Lass,you never know!....lol
angel

the weather looks like it will be Ok today
which pleases me as I have places to go
and people to see . biggrin.gif

glasgow lass
QUOTE (wellfield @ 13th May 2017, 05:22am) *
Glad you had a lovely cruise,keep your bag packed Glasgow Lass,you never know!....lol

Yes we never know wellfield , how are you doing , are you still living in USA....Lass:)
glasgow lass
I think Im going to shops today , in the motion to buy some summer skirts.I see hubby over there looking at some maps smile.gif)) so maybe Im going someplace nice again...O' wit a guy biggrin.gif
Have a nice weekend everyone! x
Dave Grieve
I am checking the online exchange rates looking for the best time to buy UK pounds glasgow lass.
18th June I am on my way back hame for an extended visit. My brother and I will be doing a wee bit of traveling or as he likes to call it a "World Tour of Scotland". Wie a wee bit of luck the weather will stay good for all of us'
I am hoping to talk him into coming back with me at the end of the year and we can continue with a 'World Tour of South Africa'
DannyH
Click to view attachment

It wasn't actually today. It was a few days ago, but I had to wait until the photos were sent to me as attachments by e-mail. I returned to the ice-rink after many years. I went on the ice with my 3 year old great grandson and his Dad, my grandaughters husband. I am the wee old guy with the white hair. My great-grandson is holding on to a penguin.

There are approximately 83 years in age difference between me and my great grandson. he has a little sister who is 6 months old. I am hoping I will still be around to go on the ice with her in about 3 years time.

So here goes. Hope the photo uploads.

Danny Harris
wellfield
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 3rd Jun 2017, 06:28am) *
Yes we never know wellfield , how are you doing , are you still living in USA....Lass:)
Yup'.....60 years now!....how time sneaks past us......take care.
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (DannyH @ 5th Jun 2017, 11:59pm) *
Click to view attachment

It wasn't actually today. It was a few days ago, but I had to wait until the photos were sent to me as attachments by e-mail. I returned to the ice-rink after many years. I went on the ice with my 3 year old great grandson and his Dad, my grandaughters husband. I am the wee old guy with the white hair. My great-grandson is holding on to a penguin.

There are approximately 83 years in age difference between me and my great grandson. he has a little sister who is 6 months old. I am hoping I will still be around to go on the ice with her in about 3 years time.

So here goes. Hope the photo uploads.

Danny Harris

Well done Danny. something I never ever learned to do. thumbup.gif
john.mcn

Thinking of myself as a bit of an ace ice slider during the winters when i was a youngster I gave ice skating a go 20 odd years ago. After falling on my ass too many times to count, 8 year olds skating rings roon me laughing at my antics and leaving with wet drawers, I told my wife never again.
bilbo.s
No sense of balance. Why am I not surprised? tongue.gif
glasgow lass
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 3rd Jun 2017, 02:03pm) *
I am checking the online exchange rates looking for the best time to buy UK pounds glasgow lass.
18th June I am on my way back hame for an extended visit. My brother and I will be doing a wee bit of traveling or as he likes to call it a "World Tour of Scotland". Wie a wee bit of luck the weather will stay good for all of us'
I am hoping to talk him into coming back with me at the end of the year and we can continue with a 'World Tour of South Africa'

Have a nice time on World Tour of Scotland Davie , I have pounds left from last visit , keep them smile.gif inside my unpacked case .... " just in case "
angel

It's been quite a nice day here in Niagara
a mix of sun and clouds with temp. 25'cel.
It has been a very wet month , I think for June,
heavy rains , Torrential with thunderstorms
and quite a bit of flooding around the province
although the 150yr celebrations of Canada went
well without to many problems on Sat.july 1st.
As I said , a pleasant day here and I managed to
get work done in the yard with some trimming
and weed digging with a promise to get more done smile.gif
but I do need a handyman without a doubt.

Anyway I have had a productive day and hopefully
that will continue , weather permitting . unsure.gif
angel

Once again having trouble with the reply button
I thought it had been fixed but I guess not. smile.gif
angel

A lovely summer day coming up
and I am going out with a couple
of friends, we won't be doing anything
in particular , just a drive and walkabout,
have lunch and go sit by the Lake for
awhile . Lovely yes.gif
angel

My grandson comes for supper today and I always
look forward to his visit , he is a young man who
tells me all his problems " I Think " :unsure "
and I give him my opinion and often wonder why
he keeps coming back biggrin.gif . anyway I would miss him
if he was'nt around .
Last week he bought himself a newer car , this one
is a year old so he is really coming to show his new
treasure to me and of course I will give him my opinion
as I am an expert on Automobiles , laugh.gif so I am looking
once again forward to his visit and it will be fish for supper
tonight . smile.gif

angel
I've been busy in the garage this morning
separating the wheat from the chaff but it looks like
there is more chaff than wheat , "C'est la vie , I guess". sad.gif

angel

Such a perfect day smile.gif
Blue skies ,fresh breeze
no humidity , temp. 22'Cel.

I could have walked forever . yes.gif
and nearly did it ! Ha Ha .
wombat
rolleyes.gif wonderful
angel
QUOTE (wombat @ 5th Aug 2017, 09:11pm) *
rolleyes.gif wonderful

At my age Wombat beautiful weather and pleasant walks
are wonderful . yes.gif yes.gif
norrie123
Walking in Trossachs Loch Achray area today, 10 miles
Bye for now, norrie
angel

Happy walking Norrie. yes.gif
DannyH
I received a birthday card from one of my neighbours, for my 68th birthday.

For those of you familiar with the TV series Mrs Browns's Boys you will know what I mean when I say that there was a picture of Mrs Brown on the card. She says,

"Another year older but still looking good for a FECKIN' old person"

My neighbour kindly added, "You are looking good. What is your secret?"

This is a shortened version of my reply.

I have recently had MRI and ultra scans to my head. No problems were detected.
My doctor then sent me to a neurologists. The neurologist asked me to lie down on a bed. He started playing me like a xylophone, hitting me all over the place with a small hammer. I started singing "Rain drops are falling on my head". We both enjoyed that.

He then started sticking a pin in me, again all over, asking me each time if I felt it. Why he asked me, is completely baffling. I was squealing like a pig every time he stuck the pin in.

He then said, "Everything is working fine. You have great reflexes". This cheered me up no end! He had just confirmed I had survived this ordeal.

Then we got on to my private life. "Do you have any pastimes Mr Harris"?

"I am in a walking group and we go walks ranging from 6 miles to miles. I am also in a Table Tennis group".

"And what about your alcohol consumption, Mr Harris"?

Well my wife and I have a coffee about 4pm most days, and I have a small glass of sherry with it. I consume about 1 bottle of wine per week with meals."

"OK Mr Harris, listen to this. There is a medical term for people like you. It means we do not know what is wrong with you. So my advice to you is this. You will shortly be 86. Go home and enjoy what time you have left, and keep taking the drink! I will send my report electronically to your doctor".

Last week I had an appointment to see my own doctor to discuss the neurologists report. When I arrived at the doctor's surgery, he told me he was unable to look at the neurologists report, because their computer system was down because of a virus. However, he intimated that he was confident that I would give hime a concise report. So I repeated what I have just told you.

His reponse was, "Great news". He shook my hand, ushered me to the door and said,
"Mr Harris, keep drinking the wine and the sherry."

So my answer to my neighbour's question, "You are looking, good, what is your secret"? was written in the style of Mrs Brown. IT IS THE FECKIN ALCOHOL!!

Regards to All who went the distance!

Danny Harris

norrie123
Hi DannyH good news have a drink

Bye for now, norrie
DannyH
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 2nd Sep 2017, 10:41am) *
Hi DannyH good news have a drink

Bye for now, norrie

Hi Norrie

Thank you; much appreciated.

I see your still acive on the walking scene. Ten miles is a wee bit too far for me!

Enjoy it while you can. Time sure goes faster the older you get. Lovely part of the country you were walking in. Brings back many happy memories.

Regards

Danny
norrie123
Hi Danny, we only done 8 miles on Thursday, Durisdeer to Kettleton Reservoir and back, good walk

Bye for now, norrie
angel

Today is the last official day of summer ,
we will be having some humid weather this weekend
according to the weatherman and the temp. will be
around 30 Cel'+ and would'nt you know ! the air conditioning
in the house went on the blink yesterday , the technician
will be here tomorrow , I'm hoping that he can fix the problem
and that I don't have to buy a new unit smile.gif

ExPOW
Day three at home after a stroke last Sunday Morning.
Sunday a.m. to Tuesday p.m. in hospital with a battery of tests and needles.
Located at base of brain (aha, they did find one) is non-operable but happily treatable with
chemicals.
Lucky me.

Just for those who will have the same unfortunate experience in the future.....
When you get a hot prickly-feeling pain behind the eyes and a strong headache coupled
with disorientation, dizziness and loss of balance,
phone 999 RIGHT AWAY.

Yes, it's true we did have snow last Tuesday. Saw it from my bedroom.
angel
Sorry to read about that Stroke ExPow,

I do hope that as each day passes you
will get stronger and be able to do
your usual posting . biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
Take care and let us know how
you are doing. God Bless, Pat
wombat
smile.gif thanks fer the heads up POW , get well soon thumbup.gif
gardenqueen
How are you today?
angel

I will be staying home today , the weather
forecast in saying it will be 40'C this afternoon
so I'll stay in the air conditioning .
There has been a bit of a heatwave these
past few days , temps.in the low to mid 30'C
but it should begin to cool down after today
and finally get Autumn weather . smile.gif

angel
We watched the invictus games concert last night on tv
which I enjoyed , I thought a very good show .
Next stop for those Military vets will be Australia
Also I must say that I do prefer those game to the Olympics biggrin.gif

ps , also munched out on Crab cakes with a glass of wine ,
delicious biggrin.gif
angel

For what it's worth on these boards !

It is a lovely day here in Ontario about 17'cel
with wonderful sunshine . Nov. this year has
been "weatherwise " very pleasant . biggrin.gif

Anyway ,I spent time this morning getting
a cleanup done around the house and now
I have a few boxes of stuff to give to
the Sallyann and then I will spend the rest of my day
with the yard cleanup which of course will be donated
to the garbage pickup.

This week I will start with my christmas shopping I'm
hoping that it will turn out less stressful than usual.
Cheers biggrin.gif

DannyH
I think I am probably the only person to have had a Chinese take away at any Costa coffee shop.

I had a bad fall at our local railway station. By the time I got to Glasgow Central station, my right hand was badly swollen. I went into Costa’s and ordered a coffee and a filed roll. My right wrist couldn’t take the weight. A young customer came over and took it away to my table for me.

He was Chinese.

Danny Harris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.