Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
Heather
Lass, you eight miles today. ohmy.gif You must be very fit.

I don't think I could run eight yards. laugh.gif

Heather
Lass, I did mean,'you ran eight miles today'. laugh.gif
glasgow lass
Hi Heather , ran, walked and crawled to the finish line
smile.gif
Dave Grieve
Watching one of the Lord of the Rings films on TV. Think its time to reread Tokiens books again. Last read them over thirty years ago. Worth a revisit. This time from the start.
DannyH
I went to the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall yesterday afternoon with my wife, Marion, to see and hear the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. The title of the show was John Williams and Friends.

The music was just wonderful to listen to. What was also nice to see was the number of very young people in the audience. The conductor expressed this view. It was also encouraging to see the number of relatively young musicians in the orchestra.

What was sobering was that some of the music from the films were 40 years old! Like Star Wars.

Danny Harris
norrie123
Hi Danny, I have noticed that younger folk like a lot of the songs that we grew up with
I was a a pub in Uddingston a week ago, it was the Uddingston Music Festival and a group of Ukelele players played all sorts of tunes and the younger ones joined in for most of them

Bye for now, norrie
DannyH
This post has nothing to do with my previous posts, but I would just like to alert anyone who is contemplating taking a car into Glasgow, to be careful where they park their cars.

I parked mine at the enclosed car park across from the Glagow Royal Concert Hall. The show started at 3pm. We took the car and parked at 1:48pm. This enabled us to have a snack before the show. I paid the fee at 5:40pm. I was charged 8.80!

I have written to the company to ask for an explanation. The charge for up to 4 hours is 6.60. Maybe old age is takin its toll, but I don't think the car was parked for more than 4 hours.

Another thing to beware of is that this company does not accept notes for payment. It has to be coins or a card. This catches people unaware and causes long queues, especially when a concert has just finished. It probably sounds childish, but because of the delay in getting to the payment machine, owing to the hold up being caused, you can find yourself having to pay a higher tariff. After 8.80, the next tariff is 11.10!

So remember to take a bag full of coins if you go into Glasgow with your car.

Danny Harris
mlconnelly
Hi Danny. I had noticed the prices had gone up in the Cambridge St carpark, 1.60 to 2.40 for an hour. I'm fortunate I have a Blue badge which allows me to park on the street for free but if I can't find a space, I usually park in Buchanan Galleries as its much cheaper than council run carparks. Is it any wonder people are now using the big out of town retail parks. Mary
angel

I always found parking to be quite stressful
and for the last few years before I decided
to quit driving. I would drive to the train station
and take the Go service going into Toronto and it
was in actual fact quite a pleasurable trip .
I did the same when I would travel from Helenburgh ,
Balloch , Clydebank , Dumbarton , etc. and now at home
these days I use the Public service , Trains Buses ,Taxes
to get about . suits me just fine , it does of course take
a bit longer than driving but I'm retired ,so I have the time . smile.gif
DannyH
Thank you miconnelly and angel for you replies.

I will keep the Buchanan Galleries in mind the next time I go into Glasgow with the car. Nice tip.

Angel, we are retired too, and we often travel using the same methods as yourself. It was just in this case, the weather was dreadful when we left the house. So rather than opt to use our free bus passes, we decided to use the car. We had booked a table back at a restaurant in our home town for 6:30 pm, so it would have been pushing it without the car. We are now both in our mid-eighties so waiting for a bus in the winter is a bit of an ask. There is also the walk to and from the bus stops to take into consideration. I am okay with the walking, but my wife has difficulty.

Regards to you both.

Danny
DannyH
I went on the cityparkingglasgow website. I haven't been overcharged. The rate is 6.60 for 2-3 hours and 8.80 for 3-4 hours. Old age is taking its toll!

Noticed that the SECC charge is 0-1 hour 4.00 and from 1-12 hours it is 8.00. Nice little earner!

Danny
Heather
We don't have a car anymore, it's cheaper to use our bus pass.

Nice day today, but the Weather Forecast said we will be getting a heavy downfall of snow in the next few days.
angel

Hi heather , it was a beautiful day here
but in fact the weather this winter
has been outstanding but I keep thinking
that it can' t last . I don't recall winter
ever being so mild with no snow shovelling,

anyway I decided to go out and walked
to the cemetery to visit my sons' grave , I
I puttered around there for a while and on
my way back
I went into McDonalds and had a fish burger
and fries for lunch also I did need to sit down
after my walk , this old age is taking it's
toll on me yes.gif
I did browse around a few stores and bought
myself a new purse / handbag .
So that was my day . Cheers smile.gif
DannyH
We went to the theatre yesterday, then out for dinner. Today we went out to dine with members of the family. Both occasions to celebrate our 64th wedding anniversary.They seem to come faster, the older you get!

Rgeards to All

Danny Harris
Heather
Danny, congratulations to you and your wife. smile.gif

At Mass today a married couple who were 60 years married, received a Blessing from the Priest and a Papal blessing from the Pope.

They got a big round of applause from everyone.
DannyH
QUOTE (Heather @ 5th Mar 2017, 11:55pm) *
Danny, congratulations to you and your wife. :)

At Mass today a married couple who were 60 years married, received a Blessing from the Priest and a Papal blessing from the Pope.

They got a big round of applause from everyone.

Hello Heather

Thank you for your congratulations; much appreciated.

Your mention of the couple who have been married 60 years, reminded me of our 60th anniversary.
Neither of us have any religious beliefs. I think this is partly because we have so many relatives in our extended families who have different religious persuasions, and we all get on fine.

We had a civil wedding ceremony, much to my mother's disappointment. My wife was only eleven when her mother died, but my wife had no desire for a white wedding.'

Anyway to get back to our 60th, we celebrated in the Avant Gard restaurant in King Street in Glasgow. One of our daughters asked the band to play the Anniversary Waltz for us. We had the floor to ourselves, then we invited everyone else to take to the floor for the secong round. it was a very memorable day for us.

My wife and I have known each other for most of our lives. We lived up the next close to each other, being born approximately one year apart. So we can't remember the first time we met, but it is a safe bet that we were in our prams!

I know that you are younger than we are, but from some of your posts, it is obvious that you lived not far from us. We lived in Garscube Road not far from the Round Toll, across from Cedar Street. So I probably walked past you when you were a wee lassie at some stage of your life! Possibly when I was going to visit my Granny in Burnside treet.

Regards

Danny
jmac
hi dannyI came from burnside st just across from the bears paw what number did your granny live
norrie123
Congratulations Danny, 60 years, makes our 50 years (September)seem paltry
I never take the car into town, its rip off paradise for motorists
Luckily we are both fit, so park at Peoples Palace or close as and walk into town, or train/ bus

Bye for now, norrie
DannyH
My Granny lived at 44 Burnside Street jmac. Near the juntion with Abercorn Street.

Thanks for the reply, and also to Norrie.

Regards

Danny
Heather
Danny, I lived in Sawfield Place where the Endrick Cinema was.

We moved to Barlanark in April 1953. No one had heard of Barlanark then as it was just being built.
When I told a Teacher where we were moving to, some of the girl's in the class argued with me that it was Balornock we were moving to.

When I told them it was out the Edinburgh Road, they had never heard of that either.

We moved from a room & kitchen to a 5 apartment semi detached. What a difference that was.

The only buses were the SMT coming from Airdrie, Coatbridge & Bargeddie, so I was always late for school as the buses were always packed by the time they got to Barlanark.

It was after the summer holiday's the Corporation started running the 42 Bus to & from Barlanark.
norrie123
Hi Heather, that was some distance, we were sent to Milton a fair bit bit closer, not the first time I walked from where Claire, lived Port Dundas, back to Milton, I don't think we would have lasted if she lived in Barlanark
Our house in Milton awaits demolition, is yours still standing?

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Norrie, my husband came from Townsend Street in the Port Dundas.

The house in Barlanark is still there.
It was a quiet area where we lived at the bottom of Kentallen Road, it was all semi detached and terraced house's.
The same in the street's in that part. Hallhill Road, Blyth Road, Duncansby Road and Kerrera Road.
DannyH
Norrie, no wonder you are still in a walking group, if you walked from Port Dundas to the Milton!

Heather, you are bringing back memories. I went to the Endrick when it was known as the Phoenix.

I remember going there in the late 1930's to see the film Tom Sawyer. I also remember the usherettes walked up and down the aisles spraying disinfectant in the air above our heads! It wouldn't have been so bad, but I was eating plums that I bought from the hawker on the corner of Lyon Street and Garscube Road. It left a permanent taste in my mouth. Well only when I eat plums.

I also went there sometimes on the Sunday nights when it was its turn to have a screening on a Sunday, after the war. Never went any other time.

My wife had relatives who lived in Caithness Street. It is possible you may have known them. They were the McManus family.

It was a shame that families who had lived together for years with the same neighbours were dispersed all over the place. Some of them would never meet up again.

The plus side for families like yours was a house you could only dream of. Sadly some people were moved to the larger housing estates, where it didn't work out for some.

Regards to you both

Danny
Heather
Danny, I remember a Mr Dunn bought the Phoenix and changed the name to the Endrick.
My mum got a job in there as Head Cleaner.

During the School Holiday's some of us girl's used to help out with the cleaning of the cinema to get extra pocket money. smile.gif
Heather
We got good news this evening.
After 11 weeks in the Royal Infirmary, my husband has been moved to Lightburn Hospital for Rehabilitation.

Hopefully that means he will soon be home. smile.gif
DannyH
Great news Heather. Hope all goes well for you both.

By the way, I never went to the Endrick, so I don't know if they were still spraying disinfectant over the audiences heads when you Mum worked there!

Regards

Danny Harris
Heather
Danny, thank you for your kind remark.

I never experienced anything being sprayed on us when we went to the Endrick.
DannyH
I went to see Lord of the Dance today. It was very good.

On the way home I spotted some Glesca humour. Just past Glasgow Cross on the Gallowgate, the bus passed a pub. There was a notice in the window, which said,

"If you have painful sobriety problems,

moan in. We will help you".

I was sorry I was on a bus.

Danny Harris
Heather
Danny, that is very funny. laugh.gif laugh.gif
Heather
We got a letter today about our new Council Tax rate showing an increase of 4, making our Council Tax 168 a month. ohmy.gif

Anyone else get a Council Tax shock?
wellfield
Packing my suitcase today!....leave for Scotland & England for a month!
angel

Hope that you have a nice vacation Campbell
Bon Voyage , smile.gif
angel

I just got my computer back yesterday,
I've been having trouble with it for awhile
but now it seems to be just fine .

Also, I have been sidelined these past couple of weeks
I took a tumble on the back steps and ended up
with several broken bones in my right foot ,
I'm still hobbling around but there are
signs of improvement , smile.gif
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (wellfield @ 29th Mar 2017, 03:51pm) *
Packing my suitcase today!....leave for Scotland & England for a month!

Have a good holiday man, Be prepared though to be bombarded with pointy fingers accusing you personally of all sorts of goings on regarding Donald. During the apartheid years I only had to mention the word South Africa when I was there on holiday to bring out the loons accusing me of being the instigator of the policy.
People are weird, they would rather sort out every other country than face up to their own countries.
wellfield
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 29th Mar 2017, 10:30am) *
Have a good holiday man, Be prepared though to be bombarded with pointy fingers accusing you personally of all sorts of goings on regarding Donald. During the apartheid years I only had to mention the word South Africa when I was there on holiday to bring out the loons accusing me of being the instigator of the policy.
People are weird, they would rather sort out every other country than face up to their own countries.

Well said Dave,even at home here you daren't say you voted for him! chuckle.....I get enough on the site here from fellow member 'P.O.W'

QUOTE (angel @ 29th Mar 2017, 08:52am) *
Hope that you have a nice vacation Campbell
Bon Voyage , smile.gif

Thank you my Canadian friend!
DannyH
Hello Angel

Just read your post. Hope you are on the road to recovery. Foot injuries can be a pain in the neck!

I was out with the car today and was behind another car at a set of traffic lights which were at red.
I was about to jump out to assist the driver of the car in front. I saw smoke coming from his car and thought he was trapped. Just as I was about to get out of my car, he put his hand out his window. He was holding an e-cigarrete! Have you ever had one of those moments when you felt stupid?
He drove off with the smoke belching out of his window.

Danny Harris
angel
QUOTE (DannyH @ 30th Mar 2017, 09:37pm) *
Hello Angel

Just read your post. Hope you are on the road to recovery. Foot injuries can be a pain in the neck!

I was out with the car today and was behind another car at a set of traffic lights which were at red.
I was about to jump out to assist the driver of the car in front. I saw smoke coming from his car and thought he was trapped. Just as I was about to get out of my car, he put his hand out his window. He was holding an e-cigarrete! Have you ever had one of those moments when you felt stupid?
He drove off with the smoke belching out of his window.

Danny Harris

Thanks Danny , , I'm a tough old gal... Ive been told ..so Im sure
I will survive , biggrin.gif
I dont know much about E-Cigarettes, but to each their own I guess!
just as well you didnt get up to his car . smile.gif

Heather
Angel, I hope your foot heals soon.

Can't be too careful when we get to our age. wink.gif
angel

Cheers Heather , I do hope that all is well in your house
and that your husband is now on the mend .
take care , Pat smile.gif
Heather
Pat, my husband is still in Hospital. That is now three month's.
He was transferred to Lightburn Hospital two weeks ago for rehabilitation to get him walking again as his mobility was not too good
But he was not very well early on this week and an xray showed he had Pnueumonia.
He is on antibiotic's and pain killer's and completely fed up.
I don't blame him as it has been a long and painful time for him.
DannyH
About a month ago, I went for an ultra scan on my head. I was told they couldn't find anything!
When I said this confirms what people have been saying about me for years, the doctor reassured me that I have a brain, but what they meant was that there were no signs of any malignant tumours.

However, as something is going on, it was decided that I would have a head MRI scan.

I had this today. I will get the result in about two weeks time.

I was put into the tube, looking like an astronaut, complete with face shield and ear-phones. I was told it would be noisy and it would take up to 30 minutes. They played a Matt Monro CD.

This proved to be very relaxing, as there was a loud scratching noise from the scanner. After what seemed an eternity, a voice called out, "Mr Harris, there are about ten minutes to go, are you okay"?

I replied, "Yes".

Matt Monro resumed singing, with the words, "There may be trouble ahead".

Danny Harris
angel
It is such a beautiful morning here that I have now changed my plans and will stay at home and get some work done in my yard .
wellfield
Just arrived back from one month trip to U.K.......3 weeks in Glasgow,and what a vibrant city it has become!.....loved every moment!
angel
Welcome back Campbell . smile.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (angel @ 27th Apr 2017, 04:45pm) *
Welcome back Campbell . smile.gif

Thanks Angel!
DannyH
Nice to know somebody has a good word to say about Glasgow, Campbell.

Haste ye back!

Regards

Danny harris
norrie123
Glad you enjoyed your time in Glasgow, bye for now, norrie
wellfield
Thanks Danny & Norrie!....a lovely trip indeed!
kenb
tell us what you noticed that was diffrent from the last time you where there
wellfield

for me it was the city centre buchanan street
wellfield
QUOTE (kenb @ 5th May 2017, 03:14pm) *
tell us what you noticed that was diffrent from the last time you where there
wellfield

for me it was the city centre buchanan street
Hi Ken...the city was definitely more vibrant,way more tourists than on many past visits,the building boom,the variety of stuff in the shops,the amount of Polish people that seem to hold down most jobs that young native Scots used to do,the modern hotels,I stayed at Hilton Doubletree/Millinnium/Grand Central/Crowne Plaza....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.