Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
RonD
Norrie, we were lucky growing in Auchinairn in the fifties we ahda piggery across the street where my Mum sent me over with the "brock!" I suppose old habits died slowly after the war.
Dave Grieve
Talking about bull-dust on the Celtic thread leads me onto my next subject. I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea, but its a way of life here.

This morning I had a truck arrive with 80 ox heads, just the heads with the skin and fur on. It was sent to our main shop in the centre of Joburg where along with another 350 ox heads they sold out in less than an hour. My driver came back and told me that there is a queue half the block long waiting for more ox heads. I have just offloaded another truck and sent 603 heads to the shop.

They wont even be taken into the shop but will be sold from the truck. thumbup.gif
norrie123
Hi Dave, its a different world right enough but you must remember the days when you could get Sheeps heads from the butchers in the UK

Bye for now, norrie
Dave Grieve
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 27th Feb 2016, 11:54am) *
Hi Dave, its a different world right enough but you must remember the days when you could get Sheeps heads from the butchers in the UK

Bye for now, norrie

I do indeed Norrie. That, poached eggs and tripe were a staple for my step faither. Cant stand the look or smell of cooked tripe to this day.
Believe it or not I can send between 600 and 1200 sheep heads a day to our shop and they sell. Today I sent another 600.
The customers will buy a plastic bag full of them still frozen together maybe 12 / 14 to a bag.
Then take them out of the shop and on the pavement outside by smashing the bag on the pavement separate the heads so they can be divided among a few people.
As you say a different world.
Heather
I never got a sheep's head to eat, but I did get tripe which I did like as long as mum took out my share before putting onion's in it.

One of my brother's and I hated onion's and I still do.

One of my neighbour's has family in England and she told me that the wee grey bin's for left over food was tried in England, but they did not last long.
She could not remember why it was stopped.
wombat
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 27th Feb 2016, 09:54am) *

Bye for now, norrie

rolleyes.gif guy walks into a butchers in oz,'have you got a sheeps head mate"?

"nah mate its just the way I part me hair" rolleyes.gif
Heather
Wombat. laugh.gif

I was in fit's laughing last night at Mrs Brown Boy's, she/ he is really funny.

We don't get enough Comedy Show's on TV these days.
There are too many Detective Show's.
Heather
This afternoon I watched the Film. 'Imitation of Life' and was in tears at the end of it.

I saw it years ago, but it has such a sad ending I could not help crying. sad.gif
angel

Heather , I do my best not to watch sad movies .

Last night I watched a documentary film
about a Cuban musical group called the
Buena Vista Social Club , which I really enjoyed ,
great music , wonderful musician's and very good singers .
The social club had quite a history in Cuba and finally
managed to go on tour in the states and Europe a number of
year ago , but I won't go into that now .

It's the second time I have watched the film which
I enjoyed very much , biggrin.gif

angel

These are two of the original members of the group

the film is in Spanish and as it was

shown on a French tv station ,it had French sub titles ,

That was a nuisance . laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/SEQpp2xvWY0

wellfield
Was a good movie Angel!
Heather
Jings Angel I should have looked at that film when my son was here today.
He speaks Spanish having spent two years at a Spanish University when he was a Student and still buy's Spanish Newspaper's.

My niece who is a nurse and works in the same Hospital as my son was telling me just recently, that a Spanish nurse came to work in the Hospital and my niece took her round to the ward my son works in.
She said the rest of the staff and patient's were staring at them wondering what they were talking about as my son and the new nurse spoke to each other in Spanish.
ohmy.gif
I got a lovely bunch of flower's and a massive box of chocolate's from my son today. smile.gif

angel

Cheers Campbell , I posted a few videos
of the Buena Vista social club on the concert hall
thread , should you be interested .

Heather, I do hope you share those chocolates biggrin.gif

it's amazing Heather , the number of Spaniards
who speak English , but not so many Scots speak Spanish .
Heather
Angel, being at a Spanish University my son had to learn Spanish as you would expect the Lecture's were all in Spanish.

He did do Spanish at School, but he said the best way to get to know the language was to mix with Spaniard's and learn all the lingo.

He takes his family to Spain every year on holiday.

His youngest daughter is learning Spanish at School and she is doing very well.

Angel, there are two lairs of chocolate's in the box. By the time I get through it, I will be lucky if my clothes fasten at the waist. sad.gif
angel

this was the first song we learned in our Spanish class in high school

Cielito Lindo , Mexican song

https://youtu.be/Q5e2dAI0c9Y

I remember just how handsome our teacher was
and no a bad singer either . wub.gif laugh.gif
Betsy2009
I know that song! Why do I know that song? Where did it come from? Was it in the charts at some time?
angel
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 7th Mar 2016, 08:55am) *
I know that song! Why do I know that song? Where did it come from? Was it in the charts at some time?

Sorry Betsy I don't know , but maybe the tune was used for a jingle at one time
It's such a happy little song ,about a lovely sky and pretty dark eyes .
a little love song ,I guess smile.gif
Heather
I recognise that tune, and I think we used to sing along with the chorus.
Not actually singing the words just, lal la la, la la along with the singer. laugh.gif

I have just spent the last hour cleaning up a lot of dead flower's in the garden, taking advantage of the nice sunny day.
Dave Grieve
Not that I expect any sympathy but I have now been downloading my windows upgrade from 2007 to 2010. 7 hours later and I have reached 51 percent download.
angel
Betsy , Heather , that tune of Cielito Lindo has been in my head all morning , and now it has come to me , some lyrics that I know that
go with the tune , So here goes , they are not perfect but they
may ring a bell .

Some people I know ,I'm found of them so
all day I keep thinking about them .
One of them's you and darling it's true
you know that I can't live without them.

Chorus
You me and us , we are my favourite people
we all go together like peaches and cream
and bells with a church and a steeple .

tra la la ....... THATS ALL FOLK'S biggrin.gif
Heather
Dave, cheer up some day it will all be downloaded. wink.gif

A few month's ago I was downloading Window's 10 on my other Laptop and the Laptop cut out and has never worked since.

It was working okay until I did that..

Angel, well done. Now let us hear you sing it. laugh.gif
zascot
QUOTE (Heather @ 7th Mar 2016, 05:43pm) *
Dave, cheer up some day it will all be downloaded. wink.gif

A few month's ago I was downloading Window's 10 on my other Laptop and the Laptop cut out and has never worked since.

It was working okay until I did that..

Just Heather boosting your confidence Dave. laugh.gif Hope you see this and hav`nt lost the computer. smile.gif
norrie123
Hi Dave, I download the as they come in, now i have a warning that Microsoft will not be updating Windows XP and Vista soon , guess I will get the latest programme when I get a new Desk Top PC

Nice day here done some clearing the posts , cut the grass and lazed on a recliner enjoying the sun
I don,t take on too much, an hour or two's work at time

Bye for now, norrie
wellfield
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 7th Mar 2016, 12:55am) *

The song I'd say is the most popular song in Mexico,very famous,played at almost every Mexican wedding and other events....it's also the song they do the 'Mexican Hat Dance to! Dance'
jakka13
Today eleven years ago I joined GGDB .Today I put an offer on a lovely wee house in Innisfi Time I left Scarborough and moved closer to my daughters
Gallusbisom
Hope it goes well and you get your new home. Innisfil is a lovely town and being on the lake is great. Your daughters will be so pleased to have you closer. Keep us posted old friend. Orrabest. GB
angel
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 8th Mar 2016, 01:15am) *
Today eleven years ago I joined GGDB .Today I put an offer on a lovely wee house in Innisfi Time I left Scarborough and moved closer to my daughters

Jean , I do hope all goes well for you and your move close to your family ,

I have been toying with the same thoughts for some time now ,
my son wants me to come stay with them but I'm between
a rock and a hard place , I know that I would lose some of my
independence , and that is extremely important to me but I suppose
I will eventually decide one way or another .

All the best to you Jean ,God Bless smile.gif

angel
QUOTE (wellfield @ 7th Mar 2016, 10:57pm) *
The song I'd say is the most popular song in Mexico,very famous,played at almost every Mexican wedding and other events....it's also the song they do the 'Mexican Hat Dance to! Dance'

Happy Birthday Campbell , have a good one smile.gif
annie laurie
Angel,

I love that song, makes you want to Dance right ?

But how do i copy the you- tube to send it to someone ?
I forget how I do that been so long {senior moments}

Cheers
bilbo.s
QUOTE (wellfield @ 8th Mar 2016, 12:57am) *

Wellfield, I realise you live a kick in the pants from Mexico, but you are wrong. Cielito Lindo is certainly not the traditional tune played for the Mexican Hat Dance.
Heather
I have just finished the ironing, and put another washing up on the pulley.

Then the bed got changed today, so that means another washing tomorrow as well as more ironing. biggrin.gif
wellfield
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th Mar 2016, 12:14am) *
Wellfield, I realise you live a kick in the pants from Mexico, but you are wrong. Cielito Lindo is certainly not the traditional tune played for the Mexican Hat Dance.
Ooop's too much cerveza....was wonderin' why they were laffin' when I brought my sombrero tae' the dance!...lol
Heather
Wellfield, it's always good to give other's a laugh. laugh.gif

We have a guest Speaker from ' Maggie's Centre ' coming to the UCM tonight.

It should be an interesting Talk.
angel

It's a very nice day here about 16'cel , so I am
going out for awhile , and have a nice walk- about ,
It's too soon to go out and do work in the yard
so I will just go out . smile.gif

bilbo.s
QUOTE (wellfield @ 8th Mar 2016, 04:40pm) *
Ooop's too much cerveza....was wonderin' why they were laffin' when I brought my sombrero tae' the dance!...lol

Ye´ll be daein´ the Highland Fling tae Flower of Scotland next, haha.
angel

well I did go out yesterday on my walkabout smile.gif
and I ended up buying myself a pair of summer pants
a couple of decent tops , not cut down to ones naval
as is the going trend these days , and a very pretty scarf
and new shoes , also I met a couple of friends and we
went for a coffee and shot the breeze for awhile , "Nice time"
I didn't get home until after 7pm ,I could not be bothered
making supper , so I heated up my favourite pizza ,
Spinach and cheese with a glass of white wine , delicious.
and it was a very nice time and a beautiful day . biggrin.gif
Heather
By jing's Angel, that was an expensive day out, but a good one. smile.gif

Fun and games in our house last night. We could not get the backdoor locked.
My husband was at it for ages, trying everything he could think of, but nothing worked.
He ended up putting ladder's against the door in case anyone broke in and we would hear the noise the ladder's would make falling over.

Not that we have ever had a break in in the 30 years we have lived here, but there is a first time for everything.

First thing this morning we called in a Locksmith and got the lock fixed, so we will sleep easier tonight.
angel

Hoping you had a good nights' sleep Heather, smile.gif

Heather
Yes Angel we did sleep better after the door was fixed.

The Locksmith was here barely an hour and it cost us 106-00, still it had to be done.

The past few day's I have been cutting down an over grown hedge.
I had to stand up on ladder's to reach some of it, but I got a lot done.

Now my husband will have to do the rest as the branches are too thick for me to cut.
I think he will have to saw some of the branches off. ohmy.gif
angel

Yes Heather that was a good job done
but it's an never ending chore .

We had some nice weather here over the weekend
and because the ground was not as wet as it would
be at this time of year , I actually got much of the
same work done as you , trimming trees and bushes
plus raking dead leaves , I am more fortunate than
yourself when it comes to that type of yard work ,I can
reach much Higher than you so that's a plus but these
days won't get me on a ladder, I'm not as confident as I
was , "Once upon a time " smile.gif ,
Todays' weather is wet n dreary so the rest of the yard
will have to wait for better weather and of course
when the spirit move me .
The truth is , I'm just getting to old for that type of work ,
the garbage pickup man on Thursday will have a fit , with all
the yard bags I have filled this time O'well ! steady as she goes smile.gif

Glad you got your door lock fixed but it is just so expensive
these days to call in a tradesman . Cheers , Pat

I'm thinking that it might be cheaper to move house . tongue.gif

Heather
Angel, I would like to move to a smaller house, but my husband does not, he happy where we are.

I would still stay in the area, but there are nice four-in -a-block house' s down around the Edinburgh Road, but the worry would be about the kind on neighbour's we would have above us.

We could be lucky and get nice people, but then again we might not.

I was in the back garden yesterday cutting more bushes.
Our back fence needs painted so we have to get the bushes all cut back and we are buying a new Garden Shed as the one we have has seen better days.

Once all that is sorted out I will have to start on the front garden as the border's are in a mess with dead plants and weed's springing up everwhere.
I did rake up some dead plant's last week, but there is still a lot to be done.

A HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY TO YOU

angel

It is a big decision Heather making a move when you
have lived such a long time in one place , I always think that if you are able enough to keep your house in good order without wanting to move ,
then I would say stay , on the other hand a change of house could be the start of a new life , who knows , it could be the best decision for both of you ,
As for myself I am still trying to make a decision , to move or not to move, now that is the question !

You seem to have quite a lot of work to do in your yard as do
I with mine , but I hope that you get the help you need
from your husband yes.gif or hire the help .

I've just had a thought , why don't you make an appointment and both
of you could go see the house that you like .

I do hope that you had a nice ST. Patrick's Day but it looks like
here and in the states there will be more celebration's going
on over the weekend , Cheers ,Pat

Heather
Angel, there is no way I could persuade my Husband to go and view another house.
He is quite determined he does not want to move house.

He does cut the grass, but after spending most of his life in a house with a garden, he still does not know a weed from a flower.

I have always liked gardening since I was a school girl and enjoy planting the bulb's and flower's and looking after them.
Dave Grieve
Its amazing how perceptions change. I got home early yesterday and flipping through the channels before my wifes soapies came on discovered an old 1960 film halfway through. 'Doctor in Love' it was with James Robertson Justice, Irene Handel, Leslie Phillips and various others from that era.

I remember when the series of films first came out thinking that J R Justice was an old man with his grey beard and gruff manner. Watching the film 55 years later however I decided he was quiet young with a good sense of humour wink.gif It also reminded me it was the time of 'Emergency Ward 10' a must see for my mother. thumbup.gif
Heather
Ah Dave, 'Emergency Ward 10', sure all the women enjoyed it. smile.gif

I had a busy morning doing washing, hanging it up on the pulley, then I did some ironing.
Also the usual cleaning up and dusting.

I have left the back door open to let the fresh air in to the washing and locked the inside door.

Now I am having a lazy afternoon. yes.gif
Heather
We got an Easter Card from a friend today.
When the Postman delivered it, he folded it over to push it through the letterbox. He did not push it right through, but left it sticking in the letterbox.

I can't believe he did that with a card. ohmy.gif
jakka13
Hi Angel ,I just sold the condo I've lived in for over forty years .I'm moving north to be closer to my daughters .if you want to keep in touch drop me a line and I'll email you my new address.Cheers Jean x
angel
QUOTE (jakka13 @ 25th Mar 2016, 10:08pm) *
Hi Angel ,I just sold the condo I've lived in for over forty years .I'm moving north to be closer to my daughters .if you want to keep in touch drop me a line and I'll email you my new address.Cheers Jean x

H Jean , now that's great news biggrin.gif

I have just dropped you a line by email
take care , Pat x

Betsy2009
Congratulations on selling your house, Jakka. It will be hard to leave it but you're off to a new adventure.

It will be wonderful to be closer to your daughters. I'm sure they are really looking forward to it.
I'd love to be able to move nearer to my granddaughter but she's away down in Kent. Not as far as your family, of course, but just far enough to not be able to pop in to see her or even babysit.

I wish you all the best in your new home.
wellfield
Hope you have many more wonderful years in the new house jakka!.....we moved not that long ago to be closer to the family,realized we weren't getting any younger....chuckle...Guid' Luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.