Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?
Glasgow Boards/Forums > GG Chit-Chat > General Chit Chat > Chat Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210
norrie123
Hi Heather, that may well be the problem is it leaking at a joint or the radiator panels?

Bye for now, norrie
john.mcn
Buy some PTFE/Thread tape, take the valve off and apply then refit. Re-pressurise system and bleed radiators. You could always just shut that radiator off, re pressurise and use the heating without that radiator.
Heather
Hey guy's thank you for the advice, but my husband has tried all those thing's and none of them worked.

So we will just have to see what the Gas Engineer say's tomorrow.
Betsy2009
Good luck tomorrow, Heather.
In the meantime keep well wrapped up.
Electric blanket / hot water bottle?
Shove a hot water bottle up your jumper or have it at the small of your back.
Heather
Betsy, I don't have a hot water bottle.
The electric blanket is switched on long before I go to bed to make sure the bed is warm enough.

The small heater we have warms the sitting room up nicely, but when we go into the hall and upstairs it is freezing.

bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 10th Jan 2016, 04:26pm) *
Hey guy's thank you for the advice, but my husband has tried all those thing's and none of them worked.

So we will just have to see what the Gas Engineer say's tomorrow.

0/3
Heather
The Gas Engineer came out today. He told my husband that because of the leak in the radiator there was no way the gauge could be increased.

He drained and isolated the leaky radiator and turned on the heating. What a difference to have a warm house.

Now we are getting a new radiator and it will arrive a week on Thursday and be installed the same day.
So we are still using the electric fan heater in the sitting room, but at least the rest of the house is warm as I fully turned on all seven radiator's to take the chill off the house.
norrie123
Hi Heather, glad you have solved most of your heating problems
Bye for now, norrie
wellfield
Heat!.....although it's in the low 40's (F) at night here we still sleep with two bedroom windows open.....I'll certainly sleep well tonight,I worked in the back yard for over 4 hours today (between rains)...yea' we're finally getting some rain here in So. California!
angel

Well Campbell , I too spent time outside yesterday
shovelling snow , our current temp. is about minus 10'Cel.
not too bad " I suppose !
We did have a nasty storm yesterday, caused quite a bit of havoc
on the roads but today it is quite calm , with brilliant sunshine so now
I will go out and do some more shovelling , Keeps me fit biggrin.gif
Roll on Springtime smile.gif

zascot
Whats a radiator? laugh.gif Back to normal temps here again. That heatwave was drastic.
Heather
Zascot, I am not sure how to describe a radiator.

It a long white iron thing about 2 feet high and about 3 feet wide heated by gas.
We have gas Central Heating all over the house and we have eight Radiator's.

The street's were white with frost this morning. Some of it has cleared up, but the grass is still white and it is freezing outside.

I have a bad cold, sneezing and water streaming out my eye's sometimes.
bilbo.s
0/3
wellfield
QUOTE (angel @ 13th Jan 2016, 07:39am) *
Well Campbell , I too spent time outside yesterday
shovelling snow , our current temp. is about minus 10'Cel.
not too bad " I suppose !
We did have a nasty storm yesterday, caused quite a bit of havoc
on the roads but today it is quite calm , with brilliant sunshine so now
I will go out and do some more shovelling , Keeps me fit biggrin.gif
Roll on Springtime smile.gif

Good for you!!....but I was completely knackered the next day....
Heather
The snow is still lying in our Drive and no one is making a move to clear it.

It is so cold my Husband did not go out for the Sunday Newspaper's.
So with no paper's to read I browsed the TV and found a channel showing a couple of repeat's of, ' Call the Midwife' and although I had seen them before, it was good to watch them again.
bilbo.s
0/3
angel

Temp. is -5'cel here . not bad at all . with light snow flurries ,
warmer than yesterday but we did have a pretty good snowfall then.
My neighbour came today and cleared my driveway . smile.gif
such a nice young man , he did the same for me last winter .
Heather
Angel, that was very nice of your neighbour to clear your drive for you.

We just let the rain wash the snow away from our drive. laugh.gif
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 20th Jan 2016, 04:22pm) *
Angel, that was very nice of your neighbour to clear your drive for you.

We just let the rain wash the snow away from our drive. laugh.gif

As long as that rain doesn't freeze Heather , I guess you guys
will be fine , yes.gif

wellfield
Tonight (Sat) we're off to a local British Pub/Restaurant for a "Burn's Supper"....Haggis/Bagpiper/the lot!....this place is in San Pedro,California,in the heart of Los Angeles Harbour,also rated 'Best Fish & Chips in Los Angeles!!...dozens of British beers on draft!...I'll top it off with a lovely trifle for dessert!...also looking forward to the 'Scottish Games' on and around the 'Queen Mary' all weekend Feb 13th & 14th!!!!!!
angel

Hi Campbell ,hope you have a great time
mind and keep sober biggrin.gif
wellfield
wellfield
QUOTE (angel @ 23rd Jan 2016, 12:42pm) *
Hi Campbell ,hope you have a great time
mind and keep sober biggrin.gif
Ha; Angel....I'm ordering 'UBER' the outfit that's devouring all the U.S. cab companies!...(coming to a town near you) and soon to be in Britain they are one third the price of a normal taxi.
Betsy2009
My grandfather would be very proud to see that photo.
zascot
QUOTE (wellfield @ 23rd Jan 2016, 09:56pm) *
Ha; Angel....I'm ordering 'UBER' the outfit that's devouring all the U.S. cab companies!...(coming to a town near you) and soon to be in Britain they are one third the price of a normal taxi.

Uber is very popular here in S.A.also Wellfield
Heather
Still raining here, but that is better than in New Jersey where my sister lives.

The snow there is two feet deep , heading by tonight to three feet deep.
There is also a lot of flooding in the area and a lot of people are without Power.
Heather
I watched Call the Midwife last night and I was in floods of tear's at the end, it was so sad.

A woman got her labour induced so her dying husband could see their baby before he died.
It was so sad seeing the husband trying to take the hand of his baby son.

Heather
I'm talking to myself in here.

Today I am furious with Glasgow Council.

In November 2013 I reported a tree growing in the grass area next to our house was leaning toward's our house.
I got a letter back confirming my complaint and said someone would be out to check it, but no one ever came.

Now with the strong wind's over night, the top of the tree has been blown over and lying across our driveway.

I phoned the Council and they said the tree is growing on private ground and our driveway is our private ground, so it is not up to them to do anything about it.
I pointed out that they cut the grass and get paid by Henry Boot the Builder of these house's.
But they still to refuse to clear the tree.

I phoned the Councillor for our area but neither he nor his secretary were in the Office.
The women who took the call took down all the details and said she would pass on the problem and our Councillor would get back to us.
petunia
QUOTE (Heather @ 29th Jan 2016, 06:07pm) *
I'm talking to myself in here.

Today I am furious with Glasgow Council.

In November 2013 I reported a tree growing in the grass area next to our house was leaning toward's our house.
I got a letter back confirming my complaint and said someone would be out to check it, but no one ever came.

Now with the strong wind's over night, the top of the tree has been blown over and lying across our driveway.

I phoned the Council and they said the tree is growing on private ground and our driveway is our private ground, so it is not up to them to do anything about it.
I pointed out that they cut the grass and get paid by Henry Boot the Builder of these house's.
But they still to refuse to clear the tree.

I phoned the Councillor for our area but neither he nor his secretary were in the Office.
The women who took the call took down all the details and said she would pass on the problem and our Councillor would get back to us.

Heather if you are expecting your councillor to get back to you any time soon especially with it being
the weekend the tree will take root right there on your driveway your best bet would be to get someone
with a chain saw to cut it up, good luck.

H
angel
I had the same problem with a huge maple tree
but the city said that it was on my property ,
therefor my responsibility .

Cost me $15 hundred to have it taken down .
petunia
Angel $1,500 to remove a tree was daylight robbery I had a tree that was leaning towards my shed taken down and it only cost $150 they even took all the wood away and cleaned up.
angel
QUOTE (petunia @ 29th Jan 2016, 07:47pm) *
Angel $1,500 to remove a tree was daylight robbery I had a tree that was leaning towards my shed taken down and it only cost $150 they even took all the wood away and cleaned up.

yes Petunia ,it was a lot of money , but it was a lot of tree , it was higher than
the house and the limbs and branches interfering with the hydro cables and the roof
and it's roots damaging the driveway .

The previous three years the cost would have been $900 . but I should have had the job
done about 25 years ago . O' Well , that's life .
norrie123
Hi Heather, I hope you get rid of the tree and get it done for nothing
Bye for now, norrie
Heather
So much for the woman in the Council Office telling me the tree was not the problem of the Council.
Just 10 minute's ago I had a man who works for the Council at the door and he said they would deal with the blown down tree.
But he said they had dozen's of calls since Friday and they have to deal with the tree's that are a danger to road's first, but they would get round to cutting the part of the tree in the drive and maybe even cut the tree right down.
norrie123
Hi Heather, that's good news well done

Bye for now, norrie
angel
QUOTE (Heather @ 1st Feb 2016, 02:27pm) *
So much for the woman in the Council Office telling me the tree was not the problem of the Council.
Just 10 minute's ago I had a man who works for the Council at the door and he said they would deal with the blown down tree.
But he said they had dozen's of calls since Friday and they have to deal with the tree's that are a danger to road's first, but they would get round to cutting the part of the tree in the drive and maybe even cut the tree right down.

That's good news Heather , but does the tree stop
cars getting into your driveway .
Heather
Angel, it would stop a car getting into the driveway, but we do not have a car now.

When our son comes round he just park's on the Avenue beside the gate.
Heather
The Council worker's were here today and cut all the tree branches in our driveway.

The truck that came out was too shallow to take away all the branches, so they are lying on the grass area until another truck comes out to remove them.

It's a pity they never thought to cut some of the higher branches, as they are not too thick and would not have taken them long to do it.
But the tree is not getting cut down. sad.gif
Heather
Oh dear, where has everyone gone. wub.gif

I can't believe we are into Lent.

Ash Wednesday yesterday and the Chapel was packed to standing room only, but I was early enough to get a seat. smile.gif
norrie123
Hi heather, I am here, been busy doing Cinema photos, just posted the Hill Walking shots a wee while ago

Bye for now, norrie
bilbo.s
QUOTE (Heather @ 11th Feb 2016, 11:37am) *
Oh dear, where has everyone gone. wub.gif

I can't believe we are into Lent.

Ash Wednesday yesterday and the Chapel was packed to standing room only, but I was early enough to get a seat. smile.gif

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society...s-2014030584307
angel

well Heather we finally had a touch of real winter
this weekend , the temp. just now around lunchtime
is -18'c with a wind chill of -29 'c, not a lot of snow
but no visibility during the snow squalls , it's much
colder in other parts of Ontario . but we have a brilliant blue
sky,and that helps , if you stay indoors biggrin.gif
so I am staying home today and get a washing and some
baking done . smile.gif .

toerag
well we have tons of snow Pat, along with -28 and with the wind chill -40 so that is cold !! coldest day of the year for us, supposed to warm up to -5 by Monday, fingers crossed!!!! but as you say Angel beautiful blue sky and sunshine this morning.....the afternoon white outs, like driving in a fog!!
angel
Toerag , it said in the late news tonight that parts
of southern Ontario where colder than the Arctic ,
So that must have been you guys smile.gif glad we were
just around -30 unsure.gif smile.gif but I'll take that -5
you mentioned any day .
So you and John keep warm , cheers Pat .
norrie123
Suns shining here in the Glasgow area, ground frost and the Campsies have Snow on them, still its a lot better that the rain

Bye for now, norrie
Heather
Aye Norrie, the sun is still shining today.

When I opened the curtains this morning I was blinded by the sun.

Long may it continue. smile.gif
norrie123
Great day, I took photos in Oatlands and Polmadie, washed and dried my car, lunch and shopping in Rutherglen also, I must have walked about 4 miles

Bye for now, Norrie
Heather
Norrie, four miles is nothing to you with all the walking you do.

Yesterday we got a wee gray bin delivered from the Council with a load of plastic bags.
The bin is for left over food, and when the bag is full we are to tie it up and put it in our brown bin.

That remind's me of the time in the 50's when the Council gave us a bin to fill with left over food.
We were told the food was to feed the pig's.
Being a teenager at the time, I thought it was a terrible way to feed the pig's.

norrie123
I remember the collections for the pigs but it didn't last that long

Bye for now, Norrie
Heather
Norrie, I wonder how long these wee bin's will last.
It is really tiny, and we keep it just inside the back door.

We got a lot of bin liner's with it.

Our son said with his three children, the bin would probably be full in two days. ohmy.gif

It's a nice cold frosty day here and the grass is white. Still it's better that all that rain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.