Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping Scraps
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Glasgow Memories > Glasgow Memories > Childrens' Comics/Games/Toys
Pages: 1, 2
petalpeeps
does anyone else remember having a book of scraps,you swapped them by putting them just out the top of the page.if it was a really good one you especially wanted ,you sometimes had to swap two or more of your own to get it.this w as usually done during the school playtime . bye
maryhillgal
Yes Petalpeeps, I well remember thumbing through an old book full of scraps and sticking out to the side the ones I wanted to swap. Do you remember the Santa ones and also the Cherubs on Clouds? If you ever visit the New Lanark Heritage Village, they actually sell sheets of these old scraps which I have bought to keep for my granddaughter.
petalpeeps
hi marjory,i do remember the scraps you mentioned,i also liked the angels in the long robes remember building up 'sets' where you had the same scrap in different sizes.also liked the disney ones. bye
glasgow lass
laugh.gif i played at scraps as well lassies,,,,,,,and loved them all but mostly it was the angels that did it furr me they were so beutiful dont you think,,the part that i didnt like was sitting on the cold stairs,,, rolleyes.gif
Elma
I remember the cherubs and the angels but I especially like the ladies in the big floral hats. I could imagine myself flouncing about in one of them.

I have the same cherubs on notelets in my desk right now, can't use them just keep them rolleyes.gif
Anne1
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif welcome to the boards Marjory Mckay am sure you will enjoy the company on here
keelie gal
I remember the scraps well i also loved the angels and cherub ones aswell and the santa ones were always my favourites i loved them ,is there a site online where you can buy scraps as i would also like to get some for my wee grandaughter aswell
Anne1
laugh.gif laugh.gif keelie see java a remember her saying she is in to scraps[seriously] think she collects them vintage ones
Java
No too many of the auld ones available but ye can get some of them here....biggrin.gif

Scraps

Let me know when ye get some, we'll dae swaps....laugh.gif
Anne1
laugh.gif laugh.gif see keelie shes got a finger in every pie [literally]
stuarty
aww this topic has been done in this very site glasgow memories and we had a game of swapsis then am no rockin the boat just to let you know petalpeeps rolleyes.gif
glasgow lass
laugh.gif java that big santa has never changed,,, tongue.gif what is his secret eh, looks like he has found the fountain of youth,,,
Java
Did ye check oot the babies GL?...laugh.gif...ah've 'definately not' written oan the back o' aw mine, but penny dainty might swop ye a santa furra big gnome...
Melody
I did everything to get my girls to like scraps when they were wee. Did they bother? Not one bit of them. But I had a great time tae masel. laugh.gif laugh.gif Same wi Chinese ropes and the balls in the stockings thingy. But when ah made stilts wi bean cans an strings, they walked away and left me oot the back masel.
Java
Ocht ye jist canny get the weans these days.....laugh.gif laugh.gif...ah'm howlin here picturin you wi yer bean cans....
Melody
Java the two o them gave me queerest look ah remember and walked in the back door. unsure.gif
glasgow lass
laugh.gif laugh.gif Melody,,, you were knocking yirself oot,,,too funny
Anne1
laugh.gif laugh.gif as long as you enjoyed it melody thats the point eh
petalpeeps
sorry did not know subject of scraps had already been done, bye
stuarty
aww naw petalpeeps a didny want you to go away as it will still continue the scraps thread oh foot in mooth syndrome again dammed if a dont say dammed if a do catch 22 a give up and a have enough turmoil and am gonny zip it petel peeps come back please hen ma heid canny take anymore problems sorry
penny dainty
s'okay stuarty i'll keep goin wi it, come back petalpeeps I'll swap wi ye.Aye java I think I do have gnomes in my collection still, i'll have to check though.Got plenty babies, angels ladies wi big hats faries, och you name , I think it's in that box , I'll go look.
petalpeeps
hello stuarty, did you get the message i sent ? didnt take offence,when i read my post it did look a bit short ,sorry,
stratson
Apart from scraps, I can remember doing the same with silverpaper,eg. off of fancy wrapped sweets, would flatten it and keep in a book. ohmy.gif
stuarty
a loved the quality street wans purple and red and yellow watchin the telly when it was black and white to make it look coulored but only wan stratson ha ha and sorry petalpeeps it was in another topic cause a member collects them and a posted up scraps at the time my sincere aploligies doll wub.gif
glasgow lass
laugh.gif remember that other wee thing we used to do,,think it was called changing dolls or something like that,,, were i would cut oot the doll then cut out her outfits,,i remember keeping my cut outs in a big biscut tin and it had that big santa face on it ,,,that was a fun thing to do as well.
Elma
Oh I loved that Lass, I had a huge collection of the wee dresses and remember having to tape the wee flaps back on when they got torn. My friend and I used to play with them for hours.
Dodie
I used to love swapping scraps and I still remember most of them, there was the collection of countries with children dressed up in the national dress, the angels, the babies, the boys and girls playing in the snow, the circus acts. The reason I remember them so well is I have been buying them on ebay. When I was a teenager my mum gave all my scraps away and recently on ebay I saw some of the ones with the babies and I have been buying ever since. I must be in my second childhood as I saw some Janet and John books and bought them too, what memories they brought back.
celtic-chic67
I loved the old scraps,i had books full of them
I remember sitting at playtime and swapping
wae my friends.I remember the countries aswell
the wee spanish wuman wae the red dress wae white polka
dots was my favourite.
The last time I was at the transport museum I bought some scraps
fae the wee shop.
glasgow lass
Aye ,we have been very fortunate to have had such good times with oor simple wee toys and pass times,,,, smile.gif
keelie gal
We sure did GL we had so much fun with toys that cost next to nothing Ahhh the good ole days right enough eh! biggrin.gif
celtic-chic67
do's anyone remember these wee lassies ?
glasgow lass
Aye 67,,, the top one looks like mah big sister,, jist kidding yi hen,, nice wee scraps ah.
angel
tongue.gif tongue.gif who is the second one like lass....
glasgow lass
tongue.gif Could it be you angel biggrin.gif
angel
right the first time lass, tongue.gif tongue.gif ...Lovely scraps
stuarty
no computers them day and a lot of joy just what a have today and remember these a loved the cherubs

no computers them day and a lot of joy just what a have today and remember these a loved the cherubs
glasgow lass
Thanks for the scraps stuarty,,, aha remember the angel ones smile.gif
angel
nice scraps Stuarty... and good night lass... rolleyes.gif
stuarty
night glasgowlass and a have a few more to put up if you want them wink.gif wub.gif
glasgow lass
sounds good ,, and nite all ,, sleep well u guys smile.gif
lianmy
I've still got my scraps if anyone wants to swap.
penny dainty
I've still got mine too lianmy, I'll do swappies wi ye
lianmy
Your on Penny Dainty, only problem is it will be next year before I get up to Qld. Can you wait till then dry.gif ?
Java
Okay, can anybody remember if there were wee wans tae these, ye know, tae make sets... does anybody have them, and whit d'ye want as a swap? laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
lianmy
Sorry Java I don't have any of them, but I have lots of others. I have quite a selection of angels and lots of sets of girls and boys carrying flowers.
Java
Whit aboot the babies? Wis there sets o' the babies or jist one size?
penny dainty
wee ones , hmm well java Ill look but I'm not sure. I do have the big ones though , yes Ianmy I can wait , I've waited a long time for a wee swappie so a bit longer wont matter.Think the babies only came in one size Java.
Java
Ah've jist sorted mine oot and ah've a lot of doublers...if anybody wants them, gie me a shout and ah'll send a list of whit ah have.....biggrin.gif
Chookie
Haven’t seen this thread before and enjoying a wee read. Had the strangest sensation looking at the sheets of scraps posted….Ah wis a wee lassie hame fae jist hivin’ bought a new sheet at Greta Brown's Newsagent shoap in Kent Road….a rare and big deal tae me (an’ ma Mammy!)…an’ Ah felt the same feelin’ Ah hid back then….no’ quite awe but sumfim close tae it....wonder, mebbe. Felt gey weird so it did. Must go and look oot my scrap book. It came to Canada wi’ me. Ah know where it is…in a box in my storage area, aka Glory Hole aka Midden aka Fibber McGee’s closet….but findin’ it’ll be something else. Might be a while afore Ah get back in here!

Ah hiv some treasures....old-fashioned pre-war lovelies gied tae me by ma mammy's pal lo these many moons ago!
Isobel
Sorry to say I dont have any scraps. They used to be such a big part on my childhood. Dont know what ever happened to my collection.Many a happy hour was spent on the stair head swapping scraps. Two or three of us would gather in the close and how happy we were then, such simple pleasures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.