Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Executions
Glasgow Boards/Forums > Misc Boards > Questions about Glasgow
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
martinjmurray
I am researching executions in Scotland and most happened due to cases in Glasgow. Additionally mosat of the areas are now demolished. eg Plantation: Blackburn street the only plce in Scotland where two murders 40 years apart led to executions, Neptune Stret in Govan here two brothers were due o be hanged until the day before one confessed. And the carraher murders in gorbals and townhead, until jimmy boyle the only man to be tried twice for murder. Can anyone help me as even Duke Street Prison site of many executions is no more.
Hi Martinmurray if you tell me the years you are looking for,I have info on all the executions of the last century
Hi Martin
On the 7thof july 1950Claude&Paul Harris were accused& convicted of killing Martin Dunleavy Paul took the blame&Claude got reprieved.Paul got hung in the october at Barlinnie,the incident took place at 151 Neptune St
Heather
Martin, It depends on how far back you want to go. Glasgow Cross was a place of executions many many years back.
One of the well known Scots to be hung there was St. John Ogilvie in 1615 for saying Mass and preaching the Catholic Religion.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Guest @ 18th Feb 2004, 10:56 AM)
Hi Martin
On the 7thof july 1950Claude&Paul Harris were accused& convicted of killing Martin Dunleavy Paul took the blame&Claude got reprieved.Paul got hung in the october at Barlinnie,the incident took place at 151 Neptune St

many thankas i am aware of the caes and whgere they happened via exhaustive research. what i am trying to get is the culture circumstances and nature of those who did it. some were executed for crimes less gruesome than others who were reprieved, why was this. such as the harknesses in the 1920's he was executed yet she was not, while it seems that the street was either renamed or demolished. not sure which. however evidence suggested she rather than he did it. the harris case was bafd as two brothers would have hanged yet a gut in helensburgh was reprieved a mobnth earlier. m[QUOTE]
Hi MartinI have only references to executions.
The Harkness trial they were both sentenced to hang but his wifes sentence was changed to life imprisonment.
As for the place of the murder 67 George St Whiteinch I think the propertys will still be there as I don`t think Partick or Whiteinch was part of Glasgow in the 1920s the girl they killed was only 14 years old
GG
Received from MJM in error via 'Reported Post':

I am looking for any info on the perpetrators such as did they have previos convictions, where did they live, what happened to their families. John keen had a young son, paul harris had twoi kids, john lyons a daughter.susan newall's daughter was with her when she was arrested, and her natural father was cdead and her step father wronglfllt accused. in case of lyons lennie and crosbie only lyons hanged why? any such info would be useful to contectualise my work. many thanks. m

--

Many thanks. this case i know well as it is unique in sciottish history. the english executed two brother in the 1930's but necver done in scotland.also last woman in scotland was 1923 while ruth ellis was 1955 and one of two women. again the scene of crime rebuilt so hard to contextualise. was it you who wrote the executions book, as it was a good read but takling things from a different angle from my interest. greatful of any advice such as what happened to the bodies at duke street when they bilt the fllats etc. Many thabnks. m

--

Many thanks I'm trying to get info on 20th century cases only as threy are most relevant to the chane in attitude. we went from virtually everyone seeing an execution by 1868 to 1969 when abolition was ratfied. Places like Blackburn street was the scebe of two murders leading to executions as was queens park recs.i'm looking for anything anyone remebers about the cases. the type of people involved, the culture etc. many thanks.
Gallusbisom
One of my cousins, born in the Plantation area, was a policeman then in the CID, perhaps he may know something of the history of these crimes, I will ask. Problem is, he does not, at this time, use a computer, but I will write to him, he still lives in Glasgow, and his wife's father was also in the police force, maybe they have some old stories? Will try. Where exactly did these crimes occur and when and what happened-sorry I am not familiar with them, but will forward your info. Hope it works out.
Hi Martin
The bodies at Duke St & Barlinnie were buried in lime pits so don`t know if there would be much leftI believe the names were on a wall in the prison don`t know if they are still there.
The Lyons case was a gang fight in Argyle St.Lyons got executed Rennie done 9 years Alex Crosbie done 10 years& was released in 1956 ,lyons was his brother in law

The book I have is Enclopaedia of executions by John Eddleston
interesting to note that no executions took place in Scotland Between1928& 1946
Isobel
I lived next to Barlinie prison. Does anyone remember the Manuel case .He was hung in Barlinie I guess some time around 1960
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Guest @ 19th Feb 2004, 08:22 PM)
Hi MartinI have only references to executions.
The Harkness trial they were both sentenced to hang but his wifes sentence was changed to life imprisonment.
As for the place of the murder 67 George St Whiteinch I think the propertys will still be there as I don`t think Partick or Whiteinch was part of Glasgow in the 1920s the girl they killed was only 14 years old

yes case was a strange oner as it seems she was the more likely perpatrator. asked his brother to help dispose of the body of elizabeth benjamin.true anti semitic reporting of the time constantly referred to her as "the jewess"
GG
Received from MJM in error via 'Reported Post':

Many thanks. I'm primarily interested in the executionsbut also in the background. I've got date on all executions and even cases where the person was reprieved such as Harkness's wife and more nutoriously Donald Forbes who went on to kill again. Interstingly I cant find 67 george street on a map! Similar problems with Neptune street as its all demolished and everyone whose been helpful is in Canada. As I was from Ayrshire its hard to get to know the areas as they were. Many thanks for this and any other help ou can give. Got some info on John Lyons cae from the granddaughter of John Lennie who was reprieed when Lyons was hanged many thanks for any assistance. Martin

--

Yes Manuel was Scotland's only serial killer haned in q1958. Many people think he was the last execution but there was one more in 1960, Tony Miller 19, for a robbery/murder in Queenspak recs, and another in Abercdeen in 1963. I used to be on the VC at Barlinnie.

--

Cases I refer to happened in the 1920-50 time frame. They were mainly random or diomestic crimes. They tend to show how we havemoved as now even multiplemurders arenot executed but these were. Carracher was desribed as a psychopath and killed two men in a fight, 5 years apart, Robertsons gassed their kids, Lyons was in the Cumbie and killed a guy with others in 1946 but only he was executed. The Harris brother were convicted of killing a guy in a fight but were both due to hang, younger one took the rap, older one reprieved, died in mid 1980's. Carracher firsat perso to face two murder trials, Harris brother unique in that they saved one of them themselves, Robertsons served only 3 years after reprieve shortest sentence. Harkness case had wife reprieved husbad hanged yet it emed more lokely she did it. Hope this helps.
GG
Note to martinjmurray:

Please use the 'Add Reply' options at the bottom of the page.

The 'Report' option is only for flagging up contentious posts.

GG.
To Martinmurray
George St in Whiteinch is now Medwyn St
Allan D.Sim
There was a saying in Glasgow, "you'll die facing the monument." It referred to the executions where the last thing the condemned person say was the Nelson's Monument on Glasgow Green. I cannot remember at moment if they took place at High Court or in Jail Square, but I think it was at High Court. sad.gif
davygartshore
Re the execution in 1960 of Tony Miller, what happened to his co-accused Denovan, when was he released and what is he doing now? Why have no film or television companies made a film on the Manuel case?
davygartshore
WHAT HAPPENED TO DENOVAN WHO WAS CONVICTED WITH TONY MILLER IN 1960? WHEN WAS HE RELEASED AND WHAT IS HE DOING NOW? WHAT HAVE NO TELEVISION OR FILM COMPANIES MADE A FILM ON THE MANUEL CASE
Lynn Harris
Hi there! I came accross this, looking for some info on my Grandfather, Paul Christopher Harris! Im the daughter of his son, Paul Harris! I know ur posts are from a while back, but I would be interested in finding out what more u found on the case, and happy to give u any little information I perhaps would have!

Thanks
John Todd
QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 16th Feb 2004, 07:20 PM) *
I am researching executions in Scotland and most happened due to cases in Glasgow. Additionally mosat of the areas are now demolished. eg Plantation: Blackburn street the only plce in Scotland where two murders 40 years apart led to executions, Neptune Stret in Govan here two brothers were due o be hanged until the day before one confessed. And the carraher murders in gorbals and townhead, until jimmy boyle the only man to be tried twice for murder. Can anyone help me as even Duke Street Prison site of many executions is no more.

One of my relations Patrick Leggett was the first man hanged in Scotland in the 20th centuary. You can read about the case at my family history website www.weetoddy.com under "The Whiteinch Murder" section, Like wise he was buried in Duke St prison and his body consumed with lime shells, I have all the courts records and copies of a diary that the wardens kept on him for 2 weeks prior to his execusion
GG
From Yvonne Cortright, posted as a 'Report link' by mistake:
When I was a little girl on the way to visit my grandma in Carntyne, we had to take a tram connection to the Carntyne bus. I can remember all traffic , even the carthorses, was stopped and there were many people on the street standing in silence and I had a very eerie feeling. When my mum asked the conductor what was going on he told her that someone was being executed. All I can really remember was the cobbled street and the silence on the road.

I think this was in the late '40's or early '50's. I shall never forget this experience and it still haunts me today.
Geraldine McNealey
Hi

Its a bit late but wondered if you are still researching executions in glasgow. My cousin Jeannie Deveney (nee Todd) was murdered by her husband Patrick Deveney on 26 Feb 1952 at 115 Blackhall St. He battered her with a hammer and then strangled her with a necktie. He was hanged at Barliniie Prison on 29 May 1952. They had 5 young children.
Guest Hutchie *
QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 16th Feb 2004, 07:20 PM) *

Patrick Carraher, the so called Fiend of the Gorbals, was hanged in Barlinnie Prison on 6 April 1946, aged 40 years.
martinjmurray
How do you know Claude Harris died in mid 1980's? I was trying to track him down for interview?
Also does anyone know of the wherabouts of James Douglas Denovan? who was the accomplice to Tony Miller of Govanhill who was Glasghow's last execution. He was 16 in 1961? He lived Calder Street, Miller was a few streets up.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Geraldine McNealey @ 29th May 2008, 06:01am) *
Hi

Its a bit late but wondered if you are still researching executions in glasgow. My cousin Jeannie Deveney (nee Todd) was murdered by her husband Patrick Deveney on 26 Feb 1952 at 115 Blackhall St. He battered her with a hammer and then strangled her with a necktie. He was hanged at Barliniie Prison on 29 May 1952. They had 5 young children.

Many thanks Yes any information would be great. I spoke with a guy qho was a guard in Barlinnie who said Deveney was a nice guy. Reports in paper said a psychopath! How are rthe Kids? I thought it was Blackburn Street Plantation? If so it was the only street in Scotlad where two murders led to hangings. A young boy was killed there 50 years earlier. All now rebuilt. Many thanks
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Lynn Harris @ 17th Oct 2007, 12:35pm) *
Hi there! I came accross this, looking for some info on my Grandfather, Paul Christopher Harris! Im the daughter of his son, Paul Harris! I know ur posts are from a while back, but I would be interested in finding out what more u found on the case, and happy to give u any little information I perhaps would have!

Thanks

Hi Lynn, o sorry its taken so long but I lostmy log in. I have extensively reseacrched the case of your dad and his brother. Apparently they were drinking in a pub in Orkney Street or Kintra Street when he slashed somebody for saying saomething. They then at the behest of his brother in law, went to the house of a guy calledcMurray, no relation of mine as far as I know. This was because he had apparently assaulted his wife, who was his sister. A fight broke out and both Paul known as Christie and Claude were seen by a woman in a flat in Kintra street kicvking Martin Dunleavy.
He then was next seen coming out the close with a cut to the neck, and died in surgery at the southern general. There were four men charge, your GF, his brother their brother in law and a man from Ireland.
The other two were acquited and both Harris brothers were due to be executed. Thecase was of interest as only once in england were two brothers executed for the same murder.
They were both in the same cell and asked for paper. Then you GF wrote stating he had delivered the fatal blow. Claude was reprieved for a week initially, then given a life sentence. Niot sure hen he got out of jail but he died in a doss house in the mid 1980's choking on his own vomit.
Seems both has previous convictions, but nothing major. The wholwe areawas demolished when I started to look and is now breing rebuilt. Seems to have been very run down, as was spoken about in Sean Damer's book Glasgow for a siog as rough in 1920's. Accroding to press reports Martin Dunleavy's funeral had loads of people lining the streets as he was popular buyt I';ve no idea why. No idea if your GF actually knew him.
Apparently the kids in the house lowered themselves out the window to escape the fight. Got that in another book. I can be e mailed on martinjmurray77@hotmail.com. Any information would be useful. Told his wife to tell his kids, your dad and his sister not to drink. hope this helps. M
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Geraldine McNealey @ 29th May 2008, 06:01am) *
Hi

Hi Geraldine be gla of any indformation. I spke with Frank McQue who was a prison warden on death duty at BarL he described deveny as a nice guy. JHowever his report in the paper was that he was a psychopath. Had been violent tio o you cousin beforwe. What happened to the kids?
I thought they lived at 115 blackburn street. If so it was the only street in Scotland where two murders kllead to hanging. An wearlier one around 1905 of a young boy by his step father led to a hanging then too.
Sorry its late but I lost my log in details. M
martinjmurray
QUOTE (davygartshore @ 17th Aug 2004, 11:48am) *
WHAT HAPPENED TO DENOVAN WHO WAS CONVICTED WITH TONY MILLER IN 1960? WHEN WAS HE RELEASED AND WHAT IS HE DOING NOW? WHAT HAVE NO TELEVISION OR FILM COMPANIES MADE A FILM ON THE MANUEL CASE

Hi I think Denovan may be dead. Not sure but heard nothing more. Another boy weas involved with them Crawford Mure he may still be around. Would like to finsd out abour Devovan. Saved by being 16. No documentrary about Manuel until recently I rthink.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Guest @ 18th Feb 2004, 03:06am) *
Hi Martinmurray if you tell me the years you are looking for,I have info on all the executions of the last century

Hi anything over the 20th Centuary. I'm trying to look at levels of murder. patterns of victims and wherther death penalty was a deterent.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (GG @ 13th Apr 2008, 05:51pm) *
From Yvonne Cortright, posted as a 'Report link' by mistake:

Thanks for this. There were several executions at BarL late 1940's abnd a few more early tio mid 1950's, before Manual 1958 anmd Miller in 1961. m
Rab-oldname
Here is a link to the only woman executed in Scotland in the 20th Century.
http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/susan.html
Surprisingly, there were only 32 executions up to the removal of the death penalty in 1963.
wee mags
after I came to America one of my older brothers friends had been killed by a young lad I had grown up with the young lads name was Clark,sorry I dont remember his first name but when I knew him he was a quiet young lad. then while visiting Glasgow in 1998 one of my old neighbours son had been found guilty of murder sad.gif
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Rab @ 11th Sep 2008, 09:53pm) *
Here is a link to the only woman executed in Scotland in the 20th Century.
http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/susan.html
Surprisingly, there were only 32 executions up to the removal of the death penalty in 1963.

Thans for thsat Rab. I found a woman in Gmrangemouth whose father had arrested Susan Newall in the close at Duke Street where she dumped the body. Yes only 322. 1900-1965 and the murder rate was a lott lower too. Yet they claim irt was ot ac deterent.! It was susopeneded in 1965 anmsd abolished in 1969.Cheers
Tennscot
I seem to remember a James Smith from Springburn being among the last to be hung in Scotland
wellfield
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 14th Sep 2008, 08:24pm) *
I seem to remember a James Smith from Springburn being among the last to be hung in Scotland
You're right big brother,I think he was second last to be hung,I knew his brother Tony,they were from Blackhill,and the stabbing was at the Hibs Hall.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Sep 2008, 04:48pm) *
You're right big brother,I think he was second last to be hung,I knew his brother Tony,they were from Blackhill,and the stabbing was at the Hibs Hall.

Is his brother still alive?
wellfield
QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 15th Sep 2008, 01:05pm) *
Is his brother still alive?
I couldn't tell you,its been ages since I saw Tony Smith he'd be about 69 years old by now and went to St Roch's school 52-55 ish The whole Family was very well known in the 50s and 60s in Blackhill and may well still be around Glasgow----also ''martinjmurray'',a few months ago I came across a site that gave you all the execution dates and places in Scotland,I'm afraid I dont remember the name of it.We haven't had an execution in California for ages 'though there are more than 500 to 600 on death row---President Bush is the man to talk to about executions,his State of Texas is one of the leading Execution States,and Utah has finally done away with shooting their condemned---It's been proven over and over it's no detterant,and it costs millions to keep a man on death row here,I believe they appeal for about 20 years,or at least that's as long as some appeals take' though the Oklahoma Federal Building bomber was swiftly taken care of---Mexico won't extradite prioners back to the U.S if the death penalty is to be considered.
Gayle Lyon
My great great uncle was John Lyon who was hung for murder in Barlinnie in 1946. Its popular knowledge in the family that he was innocent of the crime he was convicted of. I know basic facts about this because although even my mother wasn't born at the time, it is a subject i have always been interested in and even more so when it is a member of your own family! If anyone knows anything more about this case, esspecially about proof of his innocence then i would be very interested in hearing from them.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Sep 2008, 10:51pm) *
I couldn't tell you,its been ages since I saw Tony Smith he'd be about 69 years old by now and went to St Roch's school 52-55 ish The whole Family was very well known in the 50s and 60s in Blackhill and may well still be around Glasgow----also ''martinjmurray'',a few months ago I came across a site that gave you all the execution dates and places in Scotland,I'm afraid I dont remember the name of it.We haven't had an execution in California for ages 'though there are more than 500 to 600 on death row---President Bush is the man to talk to about executions,his State of Texas is one of the leading Execution States,and Utah has finally done away with shooting their condemned---It's been proven over and over it's no detterant,and it costs millions to keep a man on death row here,I believe they appeal for about 20 years,or at least that's as long as some appeals take' though the Oklahoma Federal Building bomber was swiftly taken care of---Mexico won't extradite prioners back to the U.S if the death penalty is to be considered.

Many thanks that's the kind of insight I bneed to giive a balanced to m research. The contray point is the rise in murder since abolition is massive.. Hundered in Glasgow every year. Used to be headlines in 1950's arounf that case. now page 14. Many thanks for this. The Guy he killed was a martin joseph malone. I'm martin joseph too. He had a younf family. A guard from Bar L at the time I spoke too recentlysaid "spider" smith was a bad guy. Family infamous. Talies with your idea.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Gayle Lyon @ 16th Sep 2008, 01:27pm) *
My great great uncle was John Lyon who was hung for murder in Barlinnie in 1946. Its popular knowledge in the family that he was innocent of the crime he was convicted of. I know basic facts about this because although even my mother wasn't born at the time, it is a subject i have always been interested in and even more so when it is a member of your own family! If anyone knows anything more about this case, esspecially about proof of his innocence then i would be very interested in hearing from them.

Hi Gayle, This is interesting. I heard he was stuitched up by his co-accused who werre related. Thew rest of them came from Gorbals but John Lyon didn't? is that right. Why do you feel he was innocant? Basis was they went across the river in a tram, jumped off looking for folk from another gang, and a guy who was a recently demobbed sailor was stabbed to death. If you e mail me on martinjmurray77@hotmail. com I'll send you what I have got on this. It was first hanging in Glasgow for 17 years
martinjmurray
QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 17th Sep 2008, 10:18pm) *
Hi Gayle, This is interesting. I heard he was stuitched up by his co-accused who werre related. Thew rest of them came from Gorbals but John Lyon didn't? is that right. Why do you feel he was innocant? Basis was they went across the river in a tram, jumped off looking for folk from another gang, and a guy who was a recently demobbed sailor was stabbed to death. If you e mail me on martinjmurray77@hotmail. com I'll send you what I have got on this. It was first hanging in Glasgow for 17 years

In my research I came accross a film made in Barlinnie of the execution shed which was in D Hall. Now used to house Youn g Offenders. The guy in it I have spoken too on the phone. May give you siome contemoporary info. I was on VC later that decade.Things had nbeen demolished by then. site is shootingpelope.org. or look up hanging with frank. Its a 15 minute film.
kmacc
Hi Gale, John Lyon was the first man to be hanged in barlinnie,
he was with the Crosbie brothers who were his brothers in law
they came from Govan.
There was a gang fight in washington st and John Brady was killed.
John Lyon and Alex Crosbie,Alex was sentenced to death on his 18th
birthday, but later it was changed to life inprisonment, he done ten years
and came out in 1956.
I spoke to him then and he told me that John Lyon was innocent but he never
woud say who did it
Paul Kelly
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 15th Sep 2008, 05:24am) *

QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Sep 2008, 06:48pm) *

QUOTE (wellfield @ 16th Sep 2008, 12:51am) *
I couldn't tell you,its been ages since I saw Tony Smith he'd be about 69 years old by now and went to St Roch's school 52-55 ish The whole Family was very well known in the 50s and 60s in Blackhill and may well still be around Glasgow

QUOTE (martinjmurray @ 18th Sep 2008, 12:14am) *
Used to be headlines in 1950's around that case. now page 14. Many thanks for this. The Guy he killed was a martin joseph malone. I'm martin joseph too. He had a young family. A guard from Bar L at the time I spoke too recently said "spider" smith was a bad guy. Family infamous. Talies with your idea.

I remember coming across this Daily Record article while GOOGLING Garngad (Royston).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/special-...86908-19978330/
Paul Kelly
Hi Martin Murray.

The following is a list of all the executions in Scottish prisons in the 20th century. All 34 of these executions were for murder.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/scottish.html

I am sure there is a list of Glasgow's 19th century public executions on display at the People's Palace in Glasgow. It is a much longer list than the above list and it is unbelievable by today's standards what some of these people were executed for. The 19th century executions were by no means all for murder. Many were for robbery and housebreaking.

The last public execution in Glasgow was held on Glasgow Green in 1865.
wellfield
Thanks Paul Kelly for that article from the Daily Record about the coviction of James Smith.
Diane Deveney
If Geraldine mcNealey is still following this discussion i would be very interested in making contact with her. I am Patrick Gallagher Deveney's grandaughter.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (kmacc @ 18th Sep 2008, 06:18am) *
Hi Gale, John Lyon was the first man to be hanged in barlinnie,
he was with the Crosbie brothers who were his brothers in law
they came from Govan.
There was a gang fight in washington st and John Brady was killed.
John Lyon and Alex Crosbie,Alex was sentenced to death on his 18th
birthday, but later it was changed to life inprisonment, he done ten years
and came out in 1956.
I spoke to him then and he told me that John Lyon was innocent but he never
woud say who did it

I believe he's now dead? am I right? Where did John Lyobns come from?
martinjmurray
QUOTE (wee mags @ 11th Sep 2008, 11:10pm) *
after I came to America one of my older brothers friends had been killed by a young lad I had grown up with the young lads name was Clark,sorry I dont remember his first name but when I knew him he was a quiet young lad. then while visiting Glasgow in 1998 one of my old neighbours son had been found guilty of murder sad.gif

Hi when was that? Don't know this case. I'm trying to research a book.
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Tennscot @ 15th Sep 2008, 03:24am) *

Your right. He was about the third last in Barl and 4tyh last in Scorland. Info on it at hanging with frank. M
martinjmurray
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 20th Feb 2004, 01:15am) *
One of my cousins, born in the Plantation area, was a policeman then in the CID, perhaps he may know something of the history of these crimes, I will ask. Problem is, he does not, at this time, use a computer, but I will write to him, he still lives in Glasgow, and his wife's father was also in the police force, maybe they have some old stories? Will try. Where exactly did these crimes occur and when and what happened-sorry I am not familiar with them, but will forward your info. Hope it works out.

Hi one was in 1952 rthe other was in 1905 but both led to somebody being hanged, a uniquwe street in Scotland
martinjmurray
QUOTE (GG @ 21st Feb 2004, 10:42am) *
Note to martinjmurray:

Please use the 'Add Reply' options at the bottom of the page.

The 'Report' option is only for flagging up contentious posts.

GG.

Cheers I'm useless on a computer. M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.