Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whiteinch
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:11pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Whiteinch

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Whiteinch

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
plays54
post 30th Dec 2008, 10:35am
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 2,985
Hi,

As a toddler lived in a flat in Medwyn Street right opposite the Whiteinch Baths. Eventually the family moved to Scotstoun but Whiteinch still remained part of my life. Went to school at St. Pauls on Dumbarton Road and either walked down from Scotstoun or got a tramcar or the No.9 bus. Used to like walking back to Scotstoun with my school mates along the route of the old railway line. Went to Whiteinch Baths a few times and can still remember the heavy smell of the chlorine and the rough pebble dash edging around the pool. Also visited Victoria Park a lot particularly in the summer holidays - it seemed huge in those days - especially the boating pond. Liked to go and see the fossils too. Memories of visiting Whiteinch Library - very strict on noise - it was soooooo quiet you could hear a pin drop. Favourite place of a Saturday morning was the Odeon cinema on Dumbarton Road. All great memories!!!

Cheers,
plays54

+Quote Post
angel
post 30th Dec 2008, 03:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
welcome plays54, I too have happy memories of the baths on medwyn st
we would go there every Sat afternoon and wait in the line up sometimes for 30min before getting in ,afterwards head for the park tae catch some minnoes and then walk back to Partick were we lived, Do you remember the tennement that was in medwyn St. ...called the Gangway,,,I think. tongue.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 30th Dec 2008, 06:28pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
hI plays54, I lived in Scotstoun from age 10, our house was off Danes Drive. We used to go to Victoria Park lots in the summer and remember the ponds very well. Did you go on the little paddle boats? I used to go to the Whiteinch baths too but was always so cold I never did learn to swim laugh.gif I remember the Library too, it was there that I decided I wanted to be a Librarian, didn't happen!!! tongue.gif I'm so glad you mentioned the Odeon on Dumbarton Road, right opposite the Bowling Green, right? We used to walk down Westland Drive to get there. I was beginning to think I had imagined it as it never comes up on any sites mentioning old cinemas in Glasgow.

Welcome to boards, by the way, enjoy.........

+Quote Post
Whiteinch
post 31st Dec 2008, 10:58am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,345
QUOTE (Elma @ 30th Dec 2008, 06:27pm) *
I was beginning to think I had imagined it as it never comes up on any sites mentioning old cinemas in Glasgow.

Take a looks at http://www.glasgowcinemas.co.uk/commodorecinemaa.html - it's listed under it's original name of Commodore, long before our time !!!!

+Quote Post
plays54
post 31st Dec 2008, 11:42am
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 2,985
Hi All,

Sorry Angel don't remember the "Gangway" - we moved to Scotstoun before I went to school.

Elma/Whiteinch - found a photo of the Odeon on another website (don't remember the name) but try to Google it and look under the Images sub-menu.

Do any of you remember the small school behind the Odeon?? It was made of several prefab buildings with a small brick school house at the entrance on Primrose Street. I went there for a short time when at St Pauls - we shared with a girls school - but don't know where they were from. At the side of the cinema just in front of the school was a petrol station - last time I was there maybe 10 years ago the petrol station had been rebuilt and modernised - but the school was gone.

Angel - check out my post under Partick.

Elma - check out my post under Scotstoun. Danes Drive passes the Scotstoun Showground??? Or did you live on the other side of Queen Victoria Drive?? I lived in Raploch Avenue just off Dumbarton Road.

Cheers,
plays54

+Quote Post
Whiteinch
post 2nd Jan 2009, 01:07am
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,345
QUOTE (angel @ 30th Dec 2008, 03:52pm) *
Do you remember the tennement that was in medwyn St. ...called the Gangway,,,I think. tongue.gif

Pics of Gangway http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

Virtual Mitchell has some good old pics of Whiteinch and all of Glasgow http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...Gl0ZWluY2giO30=

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 21st Jun 2009, 11:54am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
We have recently unearthed our Dad's birth certificate. He was born in 1908 at 88 George Street, Whiteinch. I left Glasgow in 1963, having lived in Maryhill (near Queen's Cross) until 1955, then in Cadder up to 1963. I've no idea where Whiteinch is in relation to Maryhill - does anyone know if George Street is still there or, more to the point, No.88?

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
**Robert**
post 21st Jun 2009, 12:11pm
Post #9

QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 21st Jun 2009, 12:11pm) *
We have recently unearthed our Dad's birth certificate. He was born in 1908 at 88 George Street, Whiteinch. I left Glasgow in 1963, having lived in Maryhill (near Queen's Cross) until 1955, then in Cadder up to 1963. I've no idea where Whiteinch is in relation to Maryhill - does anyone know if George Street is still there or, more to the point, No.88?

George Street become Medwyn Street in 1912.
Medwyn Street is still there but large parts of it have been redeveloped over the years, so not sure about No. 88.

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 21st Jun 2009, 01:22pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Hello Scots Kiwi Lass, had a quick look for George Street, Whiteinch and the only George St. I could find was the one in central Glasgow. If you are doing a family tree I recommend www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. If I find the street you are looking for I will let you know. smile.gif

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 21st Jun 2009, 01:25pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Scots Kiwi Lass, forgot to say Whiteinch to Maryhill is approx 4 miles as the crow flies. See Google Maps. tongue.gif

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 21st Jun 2009, 01:34pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
There is a Great George Street in Hillhead which is near Whiteinch. smile.gif

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
dmf
post 21st Jun 2009, 02:01pm
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 4,771
Hi all,

George Street is now called Medwyn Street. Reason for this is that in 1912, Govan and Partick were taken into Glasgow and they already had a George Street (in the town centre). However, the streets weren't renamed until 1931. Two other streets in Whiteinch - Oswald Street and Gordon Street were also renamed at same time. They became Inchlee Street and Glendore Street respectively. Again this was because Glasgow already had streets with those names.

Hope this helps.

dmf

+Quote Post
angel
post 21st Jun 2009, 02:04pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
hello Whiteinch, I have just came across your post regarding the photos of the Gangway in whiteinch, I spent many a Sat. afternoon in the line up in Medwyn st at the baths waiting with all the other kids to go in for a swim
and of course the gangway was just across from there,it was a place that always intrigue me , so thanks for posting those pictures. biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 21st Jun 2009, 04:33pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 21st Jun 2009, 12:11pm) *

Cheers,

Thought you might like the attached pic which was taken when your Dad was two years of age, just to see what the area was like when he was a wean!
Attached Image

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.