Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shettleston
Rating 5 V
margaret wade ne...
post 24th Apr 2009, 11:29pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,849
QUOTE (delia @ 6th Aug 2007, 03:22pm) *
I STAYED IN SHETTLESTON FROM 1934 TILL 1950 I STAYED IN PETTIGREW ST WE MOVED 2 POLLOCK AFTER I WAS MARRIED I STAY IN FAIRBURN ST NOW IN EAST KILBRIDE. LOVE 2 HEAR 4 ANYONE FROM ROUND ABOUT THERE DELIA

Dear Delia

I was born on shettleston rd in 1939 and in 1945 i started school on old shettleston rd . by now we had moved to 915 shettleston rd and we lived there til emmigrating to canada in 1954.
My friends were margaret mackenzie and sadie henning both lived on denbeck street
we at 915 shettleston rd were very close to kenmore st.
My name was margaret ditty and my mother was born margaret glover i remember many relatives in the area both glovers and ditty s . in 1952 i went to wellshot rd secondary school for a couple of years before my family moved to toronto. I now live in Powell River b c Canada.
My mothers best friend was Kathy Duff and her husband Peter. both have since died . The duff family joined us in toronto as immigrants a few years after we came. they lived in tollcross park in the museum building since uncle peter was a park keeper. I recall being very fond of the museum especially the stuffed bird display called '' who killed cock robin'' do you remember it?
my email address is maggiewade39@gmail.com
Would love to hear from someone who remembers and who
may know some of my cousins. or old friends.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
margaret wade ne...
post 24th Apr 2009, 11:51pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,849
[size="4"][/size][color="#FF00FF"][/color]
QUOTE (delia @ 6th Aug 2007, 03:22pm) *
I STAYED IN SHETTLESTON FROM 1934 TILL 1950 I STAYED IN PETTIGREW ST WE MOVED 2 POLLOCK AFTER I WAS MARRIED I STAY IN FAIRBURN ST NOW IN EAST KILBRIDE. LOVE 2 HEAR 4 ANYONE FROM ROUND ABOUT THERE DELIA

Dear delia

I am margaret wade (ditty) I was born in shettleston in 1939 and we lived at 915 shettleston rd very near kenmore st. I went to school on old shettleston rd and my friends were margaret mackenzie and sadie henning both of denbeck street. I wonder if there are any dittys or glovers left in shettleston. my aunt peggy and uncle eddie glover lived on chester street.
m(y mother was born margaret glover and my dad was campbell ditty
folks called him davie.I spend a couple of years attending wellshot rd secondary school until my family emmigrated to toronto in 1954.
I have many fond memories of childhood in shettleston
lets try coresponding by email maggiewade39@gmail.com
will look forward to hearing from you
regards
margaret wade nee ditty

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Apr 2009, 08:36am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Hi Margaret,

Sorry don't remember any of your relations but I remember well "Who killed cock robin"-- loved it as a child.

I stayed in a big old house- Wellshot House, at 822 between Wellshot Road & Edrom Street. If you check out my posts, you,ll get more info. I was born 1942 and went to Shettleston Public until age of 9.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
pollymac
post 17th Jul 2009, 12:58pm
Post #34

Settling In
Member No.: 7,190
Hi, I've just discovered this site - it's great to hear about all the old haunts in Shettleston. I was born in 1945 and went to St Paul's School too (were we there at the same time Heather- I left in 1958 to go on to secondary school?). I started with Mrs O'Sullivan, then Miss Moore, Mrs Quigley (what an ogre she was!) and finally had Mrs Canning. I think Mr Moffat was the Head then. I remember John Gillen, James Smith, James Coleman, Bobby Mc Conville, Rodney Larkin, margaret Power, Rosemary Darragh, Margaret Downey, Margaret Dowling, Delia Mc Craynor, Kathleen McGoldrick, Agnes Donnelly, and loads of others - still got all the old class photos.
I remember Dr Capaldi (surely he's related to Peter Capaldi the actor?) and going to the State and Odeon cinemas every Saturday. There was an Italian family, the Franchettis, who were friends of my uncle's - think they might have owned a cafe.
I wonder if anyone remembers Mr. McGrane the dentist in Ardholm Street. He was my uncle. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers any of these.[size="2"][/size]

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Jul 2009, 03:04pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Dr Peter Capaldi was my doctor too. I was born 1942. The Franchettis had a cafe at the beginning of Wellshot Road, across from Old Carntyne Church. I believe they were cousins of the Ferri family of thr State Cafe.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
pollymac
post 20th Jul 2009, 06:15pm
Post #36

Settling In
Member No.: 7,190
That's right- it was Wellshot Road - my family were quite friendly with the Franchettis. I don't suppose Dr. Capaldi is still there? I was born in 1945 and lived in Baillieston Road.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Jul 2009, 06:20pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (pollymac @ 20th Jul 2009, 07:52pm) *
That's right- it was Wellshot Road - my family were quite friendly with the Franchettis. I don't suppose Dr. Capaldi is still there? I was born in 1945 and lived in Baillieston Road.

I would imagine Dr Capaldi to be long dead as he must have been about 40 when I was about 10.

I lived at 822 Shettleston Road- see my previous posts on this thread- and later in Blackcroft Road.

Whereabouts in Baillieston Road were you? I had cousins( Marshall) there, next to Sandyhills Church, just before Blackcroft Road. See also thread on State Cafe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Jon Murphy*
post 14th Aug 2009, 11:57am
Post #38

Hi Rod MacGregor, Joan Wheatley, Eileen McGrath Sheddens Place, Shettleston.
I do not remember you guys but then I can not remember what I had for breakfast...LOL
The names I do know from The Sheddens are the Smith's. Joe and Francis. Would love to get in contact with them again. Anyone know where they are?
Also Bunty MeQuade, I was madly in love with her but she was younger than me. Could not lose face! Been kicking myself ever since but that's life in the big city.
Joe Smith and I worked at J C Watt's, later called McKeller Watt.
People I recall:- Mat Cunningham, Lilley Cunningham, Maidie Thompson, Jimmy Wilkinson, Spud Spence, Billy Hutchinson, Joe Smith, John Kennedy, Mattoe's Cafe.
I live just off the coast of Western Australia.
My email is- greegriment@live.com

+Quote Post
*Jon Murphy*
post 14th Aug 2009, 12:42pm
Post #39

Hi- Margaret Wade, Bilbo.s, Pollymac.
I did the Shettleston scene many years ago. 736 Shettleston Rd.
Go back there every night.
Like you guys my first school was at + Old Shettleston Rd. and Fernan St.
First teachers were Miss McCann and Miss Watson, what a memory eh??
Then I went to the bigger school accross the road, Mr. Findlay and Mr. and Miss Baird, brother and sister. Strange pair!
Worked at JC Watt, Sheddens as mechanic with Joe Smith and Matt Cunningham, Marie Patterson and Margaret Murphy.

From Kenmore St. I remember Jock Gray, I kept well away from him!!!
Have cousins in Baillieston called Ward.
Capaldi was our doctor and we went to Larkman the dentist at Shettleston Cross. I think Bram Stoker used him as background for Dracula...LOL

I haunted the swimming pool in Dalveen Steet, Jessy McPhees,(Where I aquired the taste for VP wine) Matteo's cafe, Wellshot Hall Saturday night, Barrowland and The Sarry Heid on a Tuesday, Locarno Friday.

Would do it all again except for the Palaceum thing!!

My email is: greegriment@live.com

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Aug 2009, 03:44pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Hi "Jon Murphy"

What age are you. I am now 67 and well remember teachers at Shettleston - Miss Ross, Miss Watson, Miss Bain, Mrs Smellie(pronounced Smiley)- The terrible Bairds, probably identical twins but one was in drag. The one in male garb gave me the strap one morning for being late- caused by seeing my wee sister safely across the road tothe wee school. When I went home and told my father, he was so mad that he went down to the school and tore a strip off the bully- the one and only time I recall his acting violently with a stranger.

Matteo´s cafe was great for candy apples and candy cakes- a strange red candy in a fairy cake case.

I attended Shettleston Public from 1947 -51. Dr Capaldi was one of the best- the dentist you mention was one of the worst. I had an extraction done by him and got terrible neuralgia afterwards. After that I had a pathological fear of the profession all my life and suffered agonising toothache rather than getting treatment.

Do you remember where I used to live at 822?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lizziehen
post 14th Aug 2009, 05:18pm
Post #41

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,318
I lived in Sandyhills from 1940 until 1946, my third home. (Born in Rutherglen area, Kingspark, but moved when I was a baby) The previous one was Springboig and I started school at Budhill, not there long before we moved to Cullen Street, Sandyhills. Can't remember the name of the Infants school there - remember a teacher, Miss Hogg - I was later at Eastbank Academy, remember a lovely teacher, Miss Anderson and lots of great pals. Very happy memories of playing street games, dressing up and having concerts in each other's gardens. After Sunday school still dressed in my Sunday best, young brother tagging along, going to Tollcross Park with friends and I loved the Museum there. Fascinated by the display in a glass case of "Who Killed Cock Robin", and the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret dolls in another glass case.

Saturday mornings, again young brother tagging along, to the pictures at, I think, the Gaumont? He was too young to be interested and played about beneath the seats!. Learning to swim at the baths in Wellshot Road. Going with my mother for the messages along Shettleston Road, the butcher shop called Lambie's (the son was in my class at Eastbank) and during the war most of the shop windows boarded up.

My grandparents surname was Moffat and her family were called Gilmour, a lot of them lived in the Shettleston area. She had twin brothers and one, Uncle Jimmy Gilmour lived with auntie Maggie in Budhill, they had a huge famly. The other twin, my uncle Bob, never married. My Grandma's two Gilmour half-sisters lived with my step-great-grandmother in a semi-detached house in Carntyne, can't remember the name of the street. Spinster sisters, they worked in the Co-operative and then after their mother died bought a newsagents shop, but not sure if that was in Shettleston - if not, it wasn't far away, I remember my mother taking me there. They retired to Largs, kept in touch until their deaths with their Gilmour cousins of the large family of uncle Jimmy Gilmour.

But I'm blethering again. Lots of happy childhood memories. We left Glasgow in 1946. Most of you are younger than me so wont know the names mentioned here. I saw a mention somewhere of "Who Killed Cock Robin"....

Wish I could remember some of my pals names - Marion Addie was in my Eastbank Academy class, Gordon (I think) Lambie, William Childs, Vera Cummings (I think she moved to London), Elma... lived up the hill past Budhill... They will come back to me.... Around the corner from us - Ardgay Street?? - lived the Neill family, Bobby Neill became a champion boxer. His big brother was Frankie, a younger one I think was Drew and there was a young sister.

A very different childhood from today, we made our own entertainment, and a happy one.

+Quote Post
*Jon Murphy*
post 19th Aug 2009, 02:58am
Post #42

Hi Bilbo.s

Love your comment about the Bairds,

"The terrible Bairds, probably identical twins but one was in drag."

Yea but which one was in drag?
Your father must have been game to tackle Mr. Baird, as I can remember he was a big bugger. The view I remember was of them standing on that balcony above the assembly hall. Could see right up her skirt, not pretty!!

822 is between Wellshot Rd. and Kenmore St., I think?
There was a large newsagents shop in that block which always had interesting toys in the window.
I did not venture to that area much as the Kenmore gang was always out to get me. Must have done something to offend them....LOL
In my class at Shettleston primary: David Gray from Kenmore St. and Ken Faulkner, his brother was killed at the Glasgow docks when a stack of timber fell on him. Billy Hutchinson, his mother worked in Matteo's cafe which is now an apartment block, 722 Shettleston Rd. The Mattoe's had two cafes, the other was opposite the Palaceum cinema.
The night of the fire the movie was, Jack and the Beanstalk with Budd Abbot and Lou Costello.
I went to the Odeon cinema, kids session every Sat. morning, it was like Bedlam.
Later when I became a bit more sophisticated we would go to Jessie Mc Phee’s liquor store and purchased VP wine and cider, walk along the burn to the dancing in the Wellshot hall. Now that’s another story!!
Like you I survived all that and I now live off the coast of Western Australia.
Keep the faith…LOL

+Quote Post
*John Gray*
post 28th Aug 2009, 09:51pm
Post #43

Hi, I was just pasing through and i noticed that a few people mention the Gray's at Kenmore Street, I would be greatful if anyone has anymore information on them, it would be great if you did, many thanks.

+Quote Post
*John Gray*
post 28th Aug 2009, 09:55pm
Post #44

Hi, I was just pasing through and i noticed that a few people mention the Gray's at Kenmore Street, I would be greatful if anyone has anymore information on them, it would be great if you did, many thanks.
john_gray71@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
realmccoy28
post 2nd Sep 2009, 08:23am
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,404
Margaret,

I am trying to trace a possible missing link in my family tree, and noticed today your message on the Glasgow Guide - Shettleston message board dated 24/4/09.

Can you please confirm if you are Margaret Eliza Sefton Ditty born Nov 28th - 1939, parents named Campbell and Margaret Ditty. Also, had two brothers David Campbell Ditty and William Glover Ditty, I understand that David sadly died aged 5 in 1937 before you were born. Is William Glover Ditty still alive, and living in Canada.

I also have shipping records to show that William emigrated to Canada in Feb 1954, your Dad in April 1954 and you and your mum in August 1954.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Larry McCoy
Bracknell
Berkshire
England
UK.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Dec 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.