Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drumchapel
catherine berrie
post 16th Oct 2010, 11:25am
Post #106

Visitor
Member No.: 8,919
Hi Tombro,cheers for gettiing back to me.We lived at the bottom end of Invercanny, round the corner from Camus Place and directly opposite Invercanny Place.I also attended the annexe at Airgold drive.That would be great if you could post those school pics.My older brother and sister James and Esther also went to St. Thomas Aquinas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tombro
post 18th Oct 2010, 10:23am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Catherine,

I vaguely remember a boy I went to school with who lived down that end of Invercanny Drive. I'm fairly sure his name was Gerald Shearer and, from memory, he had a few brothers and sisters too.

This pic is probably from 1958, and it is one of my Primary Five class up at the big school from that year.

Attached Image

I'm the we bugger second from the end on the bottom row and the guy to the left of me is Anthony Hazelton. I'm pretty sure the teacher's name was Miss Foyle and she was a cracker. I'm sure the Principal at the time was Daniel Hainey (sic) and the Assistant Principal was Mr Madill.

A few other names I can remember off-hand are Carole Corrigan, Theresa Docherty (both lived in Ardhu Place), Marcella McLaughlin and Hope Logue (both lived in Kinfauns Drive) in the back row: Gerard Manly, Robert Watt, Geraldine McEwen and Tomas Burns in the second row from the back; Phillip Duffy, Michael Connolly, Norman Yuill (from memory they all lived in Summerhill Road) Brenda Johnston, Kathleen Dunn and Steven McCann in the third row from the back and Colin Murray with Anthony and myself in the front row.

I think I've got those names right.

Enjoy Catherine, and I hope you might recognise a few of those names !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

PS I can't really recognise Gerald Shearer from the photograph, so he could be that guy sitting next to me. After all, it was fifty years ago !

Tombro biggrin.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
catherine berrie
post 18th Oct 2010, 06:39pm
Post #108

Visitor
Member No.: 8,919
Cheers for the photo Tombro,I think you were maybe in the class ahead of me.I do recognise some of the names but none of them were in my class,You mentioned Gerard Shearing,well I can remember the shearing family vaguely,they lived on the opposite side of the road from us.There was quite a crowd of them too.Isn't it great reading all the chit chat from the Drum.I have some great memories of growing up there,sadly my memory is not what it was.It was a long time ago.I left there in 1968.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 19th Oct 2010, 10:58am
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Catherine,

My family and I left there, bound for Australia, in December 1960 but I still have lots of fond memories of the five years I lived there.

A few more names I can throw at you, mostly from the Ardhu Place and Airgold Drive area are Alistair McColl, Joe McLellan, Dianne Drover, Neil Drover, the McLoughlin family who lived at 16 Airgold Drive, the Wiseman boys who lived at 19 Airgold Drive, Alex McKay, the Kirkwoods who lived in Airgold Place, Jim Bryden who lived there too, John and Gerard Docherty who lived at 18 Airgold Drive, the Millers who lived at 20 Airgold Drive and Dougie Stoddart who, I think, also lived at 18 Airgold Drive and Isobel and Janette Coral who lived across the landing from us at 17 Airgold Drive.

Memories are great things Catherine and I've been using GG, HG and UG to revive many of mine over the last few years !

Keep remembering,

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
bert hetheringto...
post 21st Oct 2010, 07:46pm
Post #110

Super Visitor
Member No.: 9,085
hi my name is bert used to live in foswell pl from 70 to 76 was called sutherland in those days went to kingsridge hung about with john and tam murray eddie and malky mccreadie neil howie and wee billy martin

+Quote Post
*Janice Thompson*
post 31st Oct 2010, 03:41pm
Post #111

QUOTE (christine campbell @ 15th Jul 2009, 03:57am) *
Christine
I lived on Drummore road myself with my perants we used to live at 113 just reading every body comments brings it all back and i used to go pinewood but left in 1981 and moved to manchester what number did you live at ? would be nice to hear from you take care.

QUOTE (Anne Campbell @ 3rd Aug 2009, 06:28am) *
Are you any relation to the Campbells who stayed at Heathcot Ave Drumchapel

+Quote Post
*Janice Thompson*
post 31st Oct 2010, 03:48pm
Post #112

Hi
I moved to Drumchapel as a baby from Scotstoun. We lived at 33 Drummore road top flat next door to the Kildays I just remember Michael in the bottom flat was Mrs Houston across from her was Mrs Mills next close were the Kennedys I remember Brenda. I was friends with Anne Lang who lived at number 39 (I think) she had brothers I think 1 was called Robert. I went to Summerhill primary then Waverley secondary for 6 months before we moved to Alexandria. I would like to hear from anybody who remembers me or my family, 4 girls and 1 boy. Margaret, me Heather, June and John Thompson. Mum Lilly and Dad John

+Quote Post
*peter bonnar*
post 1st Nov 2010, 01:34am
Post #113

i use to visit my gran at 22 halgreen ave she lived at the top her name was gallagher .i would come up from luton to see the celtic from 1962 till they moved in the 90. loved the view and the tenament .was a great place the people were friendly even to a englishman .my auntie violet lived below my nan in the same block with my cousin james mccullock.great days and memorys

+Quote Post
*evelyn mclaren*
post 6th Nov 2010, 11:38pm
Post #114

hello everybody my name is evelyn mclaren i lived in no 107 invercanny drive with my mam isabell and dad jimmy and my brother william my best mate was margaret knox her mam was called suzi anybody know anything

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 17th Nov 2010, 11:52am
Post #115

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
Hi there & Hi to you Evelyn biggrin.gif
I never came from the "Drum " but can anyone remember the Galbraiths or Cochrane shop in the supermarket...or even the one at Summerhill rd ????
just curious as my mum was the manageress in both and she loved the "Drumchapel People " biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
irrie
post 17th Nov 2010, 12:57pm
Post #116

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Hi all. A bit of a long shot this as i have no details of where he lived in Drumchapel but does anybody remember Sandy Weir who moved from Carrickarden st Maryhill in the early 50s. We were best pals at primary then just as we were going to sec. both families moved We met often at Firhill after that but gradually lost touch

+Quote Post
*Robert Wilson*
post 23rd Nov 2010, 02:21pm
Post #117

QUOTE (Lena Durnan @ 8th May 2010, 08:50pm) *
Lived at 31 fettercairn ave with mum dad brothers Michael and John, sisters Marie and Andrea. Remember you from St Lawerence's. When you left for America we played the bee gee's Massachusetts in school. Living in ayrshire now. Maiden name Mallon.

Lena Mallon, I remeber you from school long time ago. Robert Wilson.

+Quote Post
*may benson*
post 5th Dec 2010, 01:15am
Post #118

Hi, Just came across this while looking for photos to give a friend on her 50th and enjoyed the memories. Like most I was from a family who were parachuted into the Drum from the East End and born at 319 Kinfauns. Went to Peel Glen and Summerhill Primaries then onto Waverley. Had a great upbringing in the scheme with good friends and vivid experiences of exploring the bluebell woods, making dens, the excitement when the Arndale was built and the stand offs between the schools which were hilarious demonstrations of cardboard gangsters in the making. Enjoyed reading the posts and will definately visit the site again for a nosy. Maiden name Dunbar by the way

+Quote Post
*Robert Cunningham*
post 16th Dec 2010, 09:59pm
Post #119

QUOTE (dyer169 @ 8th Aug 2010, 12:55am) *
In my introduction post I said that I lived in 34 Halgreen ave
from 1964 -1970
We arrived there with 2 sons & a daughter
They attended Drumry school when they were of age
Neil,Iain & lynn
Lynn used to attend the Halgreen Nursery
Then Came along 2 other Sons ,Donald & Andrew
I worked as an Electrician for British Rail, so going to and from Glasgow was cheap
It was a long walk to the rail station more especially in the rain
we lived on the top flat & had a great panoramic view of the whole
area ,the boys used to play football just across the street in the sports field , could keep an eye on the pram with the baby in it at the close mouth
In those days your children were safe because everyone looked after each other,
A crowed of us would go to the Bankies club on a Saturday when we could get a baby sitter [Nancy Gault ]
We had a great bunch of friends all around the same age as us so we had a great social life .
The Donaldsons,Mc Kays, Courtneys to name a few
Alas I changed Jobs & moved with the family to Grangemouth.
Well thats another memory to tell on another post

Regards to All

+Quote Post
*ALLY-D*
post 27th Dec 2010, 08:49pm
Post #120

QUOTE (lee @ 16th Dec 2008, 07:16am) *
hi there,my nan and grandad lived in kinfauns drive,does anybody remember the hannah family

I went to school with Ian Hannah

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.