Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calton
littlebernie
post 14th Sep 2004, 10:31pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Calton

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Calton

GG.

sad.gif hi thers one place you all have for gotton the calton where dunns ginger factory was in bankier street also green street the schools and along side the school was where a house bomb oppersit the school do you remmber dunns lemonade tizer dunns orrange all came from the calton do remember green st claythorn st risk st bankier st and the london rd this made up some of the calton bernie from the calton

This post has been edited by GG: 17th Mar 2007, 09:07pm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
keelie gal'
post 6th Oct 2005, 02:24pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,406
i remember the ginger factory in the calton my gran lives in green street and has done for many a year wink.gif

--------------------
keelie gal'

+Quote Post
andypisces1
post 6th Oct 2005, 02:53pm
Post #3

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,621
Hi there Bernie, I remember the calton very well. Started my apprenticeship there at John Bennie Lifts on moncur st......andy

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 21st Oct 2005, 07:11pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a worked roon the corner in 153 oxford st glasgow loved it mice runnin every wheare and trying to catch them as a was a wee bit o a tomboy in the early 70s smile.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
weebrucey
post 6th Mar 2007, 01:20am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,966
A big thanks to you all. I've been hunting for Calton on maps for a while now, could never find it even on old reprinted 1895 OS maps. Now I've got a better idea. I've got the address for an old ancestor on Main Street, Calton, Glasgow. Would anybody know where Main St was?

+Quote Post
flam
post 17th Mar 2007, 02:39pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All..Here is a School in Green St Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*bahoo1*
post 22nd Dec 2007, 08:47pm
Post #7

QUOTE (weebrucey @ 6th Mar 2007, 01:27 AM) *
A big thanks to you all. I've been hunting for Calton on maps for a while now, could never find it even on old reprinted 1895 OS maps. Now I've got a better idea. I've got the address for an old ancestor on Main Street, Calton, Glasgow. Would anybody know where Main St was?

Hi wee brucey i think main st was part of whats now called Claythorn Avenue as i know that the junction of claythorn ave and stevenson street is where Calton Cross was hope this helps i am a true caltonian as many generations of my family were born and died herebahoo1

+Quote Post
wee tricia
post 22nd Feb 2008, 10:44pm
Post #8

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,017
hi' I was born in the calton in Moir street as were five of my siblings both my parents were born and brought up there i went to St Alphonsus School in Charlotte Street next to Glasgow Green played on the swings at bain square my dad's family had stall's in at the barra's up until a few years ago. I have great memories of the calton .

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd Feb 2008, 09:21am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I could listen to stories about the Calton forever, it's the best place in Glasgow. smile.gif It holds my heart. smile.gif

+Quote Post
wee anne
post 22nd Mar 2009, 02:11am
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 172
i am from the calton ,sydney st next to the wee mans pub..i went to st marys in abercromby st then on to west st,,my ma/da are from the calton as well millroad st and tobago st, my granny lived on millroad st for yrs ,also had cousins from the calton as well name of boyce from sydney st then they moved into my grannys hoose when she died on millroad st.i have great memories of growing up there we used to take a short cut from school theough the meat market my god when i think of it couldnt do that today seeing all the anilmals hanging with the blood coming oot,yuk..i think wednesday was killer day back then im taking over 60yrs ago..i went to the palias and barrowland ,when i go home on holiday i love a walk through the calton and go into st marys chapel doon through the barras and along into the toon ,

+Quote Post
*sharon calder*
post 10th Apr 2009, 04:31pm
Post #11

iv lived in the calton all my life its a changed place alot of the caltonians have left but still a few of the old families here all my family moved away but are now making their way back the lindsay s and the herons all went to thomson street primary and either onslow drive or whitehill must be some one out there who remembers them my mu is roseann the rest are robert who is a plumber micheal was in the same year as lulu maureen and the baby violet hope some1 will rember them.

+Quote Post
Aintree Girl
post 7th Jun 2009, 12:07pm
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 6,999
A direct ancestor lived in Calton in 1763 and in 1851 my great great grandfather lived at 175 Main Street Calton. I'd be intersted to know where in Glasgow Calton is.

GGgrandfather was a Sheriff officer--was that a police officer does anybody know?

+Quote Post
Aintree Girl
post 7th Jun 2009, 12:10pm
Post #13

Settling In
A direct ancestor lived in Calton in 1763 and in 1851 my great great grandfather lived at 175 Main Street Calton. I'd be intersted to know where in Glasgow Calton is.

GGgrandfather was a Sheriff officer--was that a police officer does anybody know?

oops! I thought it said not posted!!

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 7th Jun 2009, 03:00pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I'm sure there are a few on here who've been visited by a Sherrif Officer. They're a mix between a bailiff and a debt collector.

+Quote Post
Aintree Girl
post 7th Jun 2009, 06:18pm
Post #15

Settling In
Thank you for this Dexter--wouldn't have thought of that --will look up the ref you gave

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.