Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barmulloch
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 04:09pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Barmulloch

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Barmulloch

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 12th Apr 2007, 11:20pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
I enjoyed my studies of Geriatric & child care at Barmulloch colledge after leaving school. smile.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
*bfflizzie65*
post 21st Mar 2009, 03:41pm
Post #3

i lived in barmulloch from 1971-1981.i loved it there.i went to st catherines primary on rye rd and then all saints on scotsburn rd.had lots of fun at the brunswick hall in balornock and spent many a night in the wee library at the bus terminus off crow rd(excuse to chat up the lads from school.)remember seeing "puffing billy" running down to the broomie(broomfield tavern)and wee anne mc intosh from birnie court flats ,all 4ft of her,with her wee shopping trolley! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
*Gavin*
post 23rd Apr 2009, 11:32am
Post #4

My Papa Owen Quinn and Granny Sissy lived in the flats on Rye Road. Owen was a wee sinewy guy who looked like a chimp - I look like a gorilla who has had too many bananas so he never let up with the milkman being my da jokes!
My granny worked in the chippy next to William Hill and the Broomfield Tavern.
Anyway, across from him was a family I don't recall the surname of - but they had a son Norman and a daughter Bernadette. A wee blond guy called Andy moved into the close soon after me, but I can't recall his name. The last time I was there they had pulled the flats down and I fought back the tears. No more Galbraiths for a bag of skull crushers and a 'Dandy' either!
I'd love to hear any more memories.

+Quote Post
donnymac
post 10th Jun 2009, 08:18pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,229
hello i lived in barmulloch stayed in quarrywood rd from 65 till 05 went to barmulloch primary then smithycroft (well went there sometimes lol ) wouldnt stay there now for a million quid

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 11th Jun 2009, 02:35am
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Donnymac, you'd be lucky to find Barmulloch now as most of it has been pulled down, including the original All Saints and Barmulloch College. I lived in Torryburn Road between 1988 and 1998 and also worked in the Broomfield Tavern for a couple of years before that.
The flats in Torryburn weren't the best by any means, loads of dampness and condensation, but the Council told us they had a 5 year mission to upgrade every house in Barmulloch.
They eventually did ours up, on the outside at least. Double glazing, central heating, did away with the veranda to give you a wee kinda patio....and then it all stopped.
Funding was allocated away from Barmulloch and it was allowed to rot.
Maybe this was the council's way of getting their own back on the community as they had been the ones who sent in Sheriff Officers to penalise the poor who couldn't afford to pay the Poll Tax and the people of Barmulloch stood firm, shoulder to shoulder against these attacks from a so called Labour Council. It was more like the BNP sending the goons round. I remember an old lady in her 70's taking an overdose the night before these sleazebags were due to come around as she wasn't used to being in debt and was too proud to be confronted by them. She survived, but that was hardly the point.
Barmulloch was, in my view systematically and deliberately run down afterwards to the point where it is now only a shadow of what it could have been, never mind what it was.

+Quote Post
**shazza**
post 14th Jul 2009, 12:33am
Post #7

i was born in barmulloch in 1970,went to st catherines primary then on to all saints sec.i had a ball growing up in the old bar m.down fall was about 1988 everyone was taking heroin ruining their lifes,a lot of people i went to school r now dead due to this.i had my son in 89,my daughter 91,im still in a local area but have a lot of goood emories of my younger days.i wish i could go back in timr to allsaints i wouldnt b so nasty to teachers,i owe one or two an apolojy for terrible behaviour,and thank a few esp action man,trerrible i cant remember his name,but if it werent for him i wouldnt b able to count.

+Quote Post
Professur
post 22nd Jul 2009, 09:42am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,227
My grandparents, and later my cousins lived on Scotsburn rd. I'd visit from Canada every couple of years as a child. When Google street level came on the web, I rushed to look over the places I'd made so many memories of, but those memories were so vague and far away now. Seeing all the flats boarded up, the school demolished, the shops now all modern houses .... well, lets just say I had a hard time sleeping that night. I had other cousins living down hill towards the roundabout .. can't recall the street name. That was where we always caught the sweets van.

I still remember waking up freezing in the middle of summer, having to wait for the fire to warm up some water to wash, cos there was no way Gran was letting you eat breakfast before you washed up. And that bathroom .... GAWD I hated it. Seemed like 15 miles of ice cold tile to the toilet. Naturally, who takes slippers with them on vacation, eh?

+Quote Post
*Yvonne Hence*
post 9th Aug 2009, 01:26pm
Post #9

Hello Everyone I have been reading some of the post and it has made me very sad. I'm Yvonne Hence I used to live on Lamont Road in Balornock I hung around the Bar m I try to keep up with Balornock but I had no idea that Barmulloch had changed so much and that they had such a hard time trying to keep the area together it is very sad. I left Balornock when I was 18 and moved to the States I live in Virginia in a place called Gloucester. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers me. I would love to hear about how Barmulloch fell and more abut the Pole Tax in that area. I used to go to the Disco at the community center every Saturday night and danced to songs by Abba T Rex and Slade and tons more. Take care everone Yvonne

+Quote Post
Maggie50
post 31st Oct 2009, 02:12pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 6,020
QUOTE (Yvonne Hence @ 9th Aug 2009, 02:07pm) *
Hello Everyone I have been reading some of the post and it has made me very sad. I'm Yvonne Hence I used to live on Lamont Road in Balornock I hung around the Bar m I try to keep up with Balornock but I had no idea that Barmulloch had changed so much and that they had such a hard time trying to keep the area together it is very sad. I left Balornock when I was 18 and moved to the States I live in Virginia in a place called Gloucester. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers me. I would love to hear about how Barmulloch fell and more abut the Pole Tax in that area. I used to go to the Disco at the community center every Saturday night and danced to songs by Abba T Rex and Slade and tons more. Take care everone Yvonne

Hi i'm interested in finding a family from i think Ryemount rd. His name was John Mc Auley and his partner was Margaret a lady with an Edinburgh accent who was an auxiliary nurse in Stobhill in i believe the leukemia unit. What John didn't know about motors you could put on the back of a postage stamp and a nice couple besides. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who remembers them or even if they're still there.

--------------------
[size="7"][/size][color="#9932CC"][/color] mcmanus34

+Quote Post
**Sandrad**
post 21st Mar 2010, 05:11pm
Post #11

Hello tamhickey I have just read that you worked in the broomfield Tavern, did you know Alex and Sadie Irvine?

+Quote Post
*Jen*
post 4th Aug 2010, 10:43am
Post #12

QUOTE (tamhickey @ 11th Jun 2009, 03:28am) *
Donnymac, you'd be lucky to find Barmulloch now as most of it has been pulled down, including the original All Saints and Barmulloch College. I lived in Torryburn Road between 1988 and 1998 and also worked in the Broomfield Tavern for a couple of years before that.
The flats in Torryburn weren't the best by any means, loads of dampness and condensation, but the Council told us they had a 5 year mission to upgrade every house in Barmulloch.
They eventually did ours up, on the outside at least. Double glazing, central heating, did away with the veranda to give you a wee kinda patio....and then it all stopped.
Funding was allocated away from Barmulloch and it was allowed to rot.

I lived in Torryburn road since i was born 1984 til I had to move coz they wanted to pull them down in 1999 (we moved round the corner to gartons road.) I remember the scaffolding around our house when they where working on it to look nicer and building up our veranda - I liked that wee room. I could see All Saints from my window, and watched it be pulled down. Also seen the other flats in Torryburn being pulled down too. My house was the last to be pulled down as it was the corner attached to Scotsburn flats- so it was only a couple of years ago!

+Quote Post
**donnymac**
post 27th Sep 2010, 12:25pm
Post #13

QUOTE (*Sandrad* @ 21st Mar 2010, 05:56pm) *
Hello tamhickey I have just read that you worked in the broomfield Tavern, did you know Alex and Sadie Irvine?

i know an alex irvine but know him as sanny same guy id guess

+Quote Post
*William Hence*
post 22nd Oct 2010, 07:05pm
Post #14

QUOTE (Yvonne Hence @ 9th Aug 2009, 02:05pm) *

Hi Yvonne....Its William here...How are you?

+Quote Post
ktv
post 12th Feb 2014, 09:36am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
was born in barmulloch in 71 quarrywood rd then moved to ryefield when i was about 13 till i was about 19
went to St C's then all saints.

did a bit of travelling etc then moved to the edgefauld flats when i was about 25....still there, never had any grief whatsoever.

great place to live

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.