Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

35 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When (and Why) Did You Move Away From Glasgow?, ...and where'd you go?
Heather
post 30th Jan 2012, 12:12am
Post #496

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
He is keeping fine PMH, but uses the walking stick when he goes out which is not very often. wink.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tricia281
post 30th Jan 2012, 03:57pm
Post #497

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,345
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Jan 2012, 06:20pm) *
Tricia, my Husband is also Plumber & GasFitter, so as there are plenty jobs I'll send him over.
He won't be very pleased with me doing that as he is retired, but too bad. wink.gif laugh.gif

Hi Heather,

Ha ha! However, we would be glad to put him up here!!!!. Canada is looking at pushing up retirement ages here to 68 so I could get a double wheelchair, pop him in with my hubby, stick their tools on their laps and off we go!! Crawl spaces will be a bit of a nuisance right enough!! Lol!
Tricia smile.gif

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 30th Jan 2012, 05:14pm
Post #498

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Tricia we must not accept that the gov can raise the pension age. It was not part of the platform they got elected on. If they want to do this let them lay out their plan then call for an election on the isssue

+Quote Post
angel
post 30th Jan 2012, 05:59pm
Post #499

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

It's an aging population , won't be enough younger people to help
pay for the old age pensions and I would guess other benefits.
it make's not the slightest difference with this problem ,no matter which goverment we have .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Tricia281
post 30th Jan 2012, 06:19pm
Post #500

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,345
Hi Andy, I agree with you on the Stephen Harper but I am not yet a citizen (notice yet!) so can't vote! I can see you shaking your head!! smile.gif In the beginning couldn't afford it and now keep forgetting to do it! This year for certain and then I can do more that just shouting at politicians on the telly!!

Angel, think you are right with whoever is in power, I think it's coming! UK have started doing it however for my poor hubby, he is 40 years on the tools now and his poor body aches! But Winnipeg has shortages of so-called qualified tradespeople, he's one of the younger 'boys' in his place!!!

However, we plan to 'move to the country' this year and hopefully allow him to go part time as no mortgage!!

+Quote Post
*ian Millar*
post 8th Mar 2012, 04:47am
Post #501

Hi have just accidently found this forum ,and it has brought back many memories/ i Left Glasgow 1968 for Oz and have never regretted a moment , have been back 6/7 times and found it very depressing (those black clouds) am used to clear blue skies here in the Kimberly North west Oz.

Although i was very lucky to spend my youth in Ruchazie when it was first built (open fields opposite our house) i hear now it is what the Gorbals was like . Ian Millar

+Quote Post
scotia52
post 11th Mar 2012, 09:58pm
Post #502

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,507
Hi I moved away from Glasgow 1983 and headed for Australia husband and two very young kids and one more on the way which I didnt realize till I was in a hostel in Australia...............when i found out we had no home no jobs and just wanted to go home..........it took me about ten years and a trip home to settle me.............I will always call glasgow my first home but to be honest I have been away too long and could not go back now...........My husband felt it was the best move to leave Glasgow as he felt our boys would find it hard to get work and to be honest they have all done well over here............

+Quote Post
*jean rae*
post 26th Mar 2012, 01:30am
Post #503

QUOTE (AmazingGrace @ 11th Mar 2004, 10:40am) *
Wow what a brilliant website. I was going to join the Glasgow Police Cadets in 1971 when my Dad came home from work in Paisley and told the family that we were moving to Nottingham as he had been offered a job in head office. So off we went and I stuck it out for just over a year but wasn't happy and one day I was watching Alan Whicker in Whicker's World following six Women's Royal Army recruits through their six week basic training at Guildford. Next Day I told my Granny who was visiting from Castlemilk with my Grampa that I was joining the Army. She didn't believe me until I told her that I had sworn my allegience to Queen and Country. Three weeks later off I went and this was the start of my life as an Expat. After my training I was posted to Royal School of Military Engineering in Kent and two days later I met this 6ft 2ins hunky soldier and I have never looked back. We have been married 30 years this July and we have travelled to Germany where our two girls were born. When we came out of the Army we travelled to Papua New Guinea where we lived for 5 years. Came back to Chester in UK while the girls went through high school and college years. Richard was offered a job in Saudi Arabia and a year later I followed him which would be 1997 where I worked as PA to the CEO of two military hospitals, he is one of the nicest Scousers I have ever met. In December 2000 I came out here to join Richard in Kuala Lumpur and we are still here and loving every minute of it. I am going back to Chester in June for the birth of our second grandchild due in July so although I left Glasgow quite some time ago, Shawlands to be precise in 1970, I love to go back but only to see how it has changed and sadly some of it is not for the best but the people are always so nice and friendly as always.

Look forward to hearing from anyone soon

Grace in KL cool.gif

+Quote Post
Rosemary
post 8th Aug 2012, 05:08pm
Post #504

Settling In
Member No.: 12,189
yes.gif Hello all,

I left my home in Cranhill, Glasgow in 1966. We moved to the United States, Rhode Isand to be exact. I hated it. I wanted to go back home to where I grew up and was comfortable in my life.

Although I have been here a long time now I still call cranhill my home, I never did become a citizen I hold on to my British heritage, and I am always proud to call Scotland my home.

My parents brought us here in 1966 so I did not have much of a choice.

I now have grown children, one who has been to Scotland and visited with my relatives that are left. Unfortunatley I have never been home. I am terrified of flying. I am planning to come home next year just to go back to that house on Longstone RD, in Cranhill where I grew up, to walk down that street and remember the great times I had living at that house, walk to the schools I went to (St. Moden's and St Gregory's) travel on the doulble decker buses and visit the sweet shop i stoped at everyday on my way to school. I saw on line that the shop is sill there.

That is my short story. I would love to hear from anyone who grew up on Longstone Road in Cranhill, Glasgow give a yell, I would love to hear from you.

+Quote Post
*Byron Bill*
post 22nd Aug 2012, 01:49am
Post #505

QUOTE (ian Millar @ 8th Mar 2012, 05:45am) *
Hi have just accidently found this forum ,and it has brought back many memories/ I Left Glasgow 1968 for Oz and have never regretted a moment , have been back 6/7 times and found it very depressing (those black clouds) am used to clear blue skies here in the Kimberly North west Oz.

Although I was very lucky to spend my youth in Ruchazie when it was first built (open fields opposite our house) I hear now it is what the Gorbals was like . Ian Millar

If it was so "dark n' depressing' why did you go back so often! Just a bit curious is all. I went back once an' ner since. You must have one helluva tan!

+Quote Post
billyont
post 4th Feb 2013, 08:35pm
Post #506

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,699
looking for a person called Ian Dickson from Dennistoun Glasgow could he please get in touch with billyont thanks.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Feb 2013, 10:18am
Post #507

QUOTE (ian Millar @ 8th Mar 2012, 04:47am) *
Hi have just accidently found this forum ,and it has brought back many memories/ i Left Glasgow 1968 for Oz and have never regretted a moment , have been back 6/7 times and found it very depressing (those black clouds) am used to clear blue skies here in the Kimberly North west Oz.

Although i was very lucky to spend my youth in Ruchazie when it was first built (open fields opposite our house) i hear now it is what the Gorbals was like . Ian Millar

Dis youse really live in the Kimberly??? N' heers me thingkin' only koories an' mad blokesw that kept "salties " fur pets, styed owr' yonder.

+Quote Post
boots
post 21st Mar 2013, 10:13am
Post #508

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
When I left Glasgow I was actually going home, back to Winnipdgb, Canada where I was born. My mother took me to visit my grandfather in Clyde bank when I was six; that was 1934, she actually was leaving my father but I didn#t know that. S he did th ink of going back but it was hard to earn enough to pay our way back. Eventually sh e landed a well paying job as a nurse-stewardess on tge Anchor line sailing between Glasgow and New York but she loved the job and decided to stay awh ile. The war began , she went nursing in a military hospital and I grew up in Glasgow. We were blitzed out of Clydebank#

In 1948, we headed for home. I was very excited at the timebutc somehow I had become Scottish, I still think of myself as Scottish and get homesick for Glasgow. H ave only been back once for the big G G.boards meet almost 7 years ago. Woul love to go again, halth permitting.. I#m married, 3 grown children, 3 grown grandchildren and one toddling great, grandchild

+Quote Post
stratson
post 16th May 2013, 11:19am
Post #509

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Hello Boots, how well I remember that meet you had in Glasgow. We met, as I recall due to seating and music we had no real conversation, Wish we had as is good to look directly at each other while conversing. As you were in a Hotel would liked to have had you at my place for a cuppa, lunch, or out to dinner. You will remember Stuarty and I were sitting together, We became good friends, miss her so very much. Am glad you are well and should you return let me know(if am still around) and perhaps you could pay me a visit and go over the past seven years together. x
biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 16th May 2013, 12:02pm
Post #510

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
I moved away in 1990. it was a necessity for me as i was getting out of control. My drinking had become worse, and i was turning into an alcoholic. my family had disowned me, and i was living in the salvation army hostel. I had hit rock bottom. I knew if i did not move i would end up dead. so,
i spoke to the captain and told him for the first time i was an alcoholic, and needed help.
He booked me into a dry unit, and i started my long road to recovery.
Moving was tough, but i had to do it, and now i am sober for 15 years, and i have a job and i just got my first wee house. I am so much better for moving away from Glasgow, as it had nothing for me and starting over would have been impossible.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.