Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's : Is It The Same One ?, shops
*joe mackay*
post 8th Feb 2010, 06:30pm
Post #46

QUOTE (Mary Anne @ 3rd Dec 2008, 02:45pm) *
Hi there
I worked in Lewis's in Argyle Street Glasgow for some time and the toy department was on the 3rd floor. Lewis's was a different company from John Lewis. Lewiss's Glasgow was the largest department store in the Uk ( perhaps Europe at one time). the phone number was 2219820.

Lewis's boasted seven selling floors and nearly 1400 staff in late seventies and was a fantastic place to work. it had it's own in house bakery and I think 5 places to eat. The building was ruined when Debenhams purchased it.

any one else work there?
Mary Anne

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*mel*
post 5th Apr 2010, 04:34pm
Post #47

Lewis's - also had a massive store in Birmingham and I think Liverpool. My auntie was a gifted pianist - she worked in the Music Department in the Basement at Argyle Street. This was before records - so it was sheet music and they sold musical instruments as well - auntie played the latest sheet music tunes on a piano in the department to encourage folks to buy the latest tunes - that was when folks made their own entertainment - more 40's into the 50's when records became more popular.

Blast from the past - I remember Winifred Attwell made a personal appearance and we went to see her, next thing her and auntie were rattling the piano keys good style together, the whole place jumping with delight!

+Quote Post
*alison.mc*
post 3rd Jun 2010, 07:56pm
Post #48

Hi
I also worked in Lewis's not to be confused with JLP. Lewis's was a Glasgow landmark for generations. I remember being taken there as a child by my Gran every week which was a real treat. Anyone over the age of 30 who was brought up in Glasgow would have visited Santa's Grotto at Lewis's. Christmas was a very majical time in the store as the third floor stockroom was transformed, by our very talented display team, into a fabulous wonderland. The faces of the children just lit up when they seen the fantastic animated characters all the way through the grotto and then they finally got to meet Santa, collect their toy and have their picture taken. People would come from all over to see the Chritmas window displays and the parade through the city when Santa was arriving at Lewis's (I remember a very young Carole Smillie travelling with Santa in his horse drawn carriage). I started as a Christmas temp. in the toy department in 1977 and was one of the last to leave when the store sadly closed down in1991. I still remember my staff number 220289. It was a fantastic place to work as we had a lot of fun as well as getting the job done. I no longer live in Glasgow however I have visited the store once or twice since Debenhams took it over. I must admit that the standards have dropped dramatically since the heyday of Lewis's and I wouldn't cross the street now to go in. I much prefer House of Fraser which has a similar feel to the old Lewis's store. I did love working there and still miss it almost 20 years later. Sadly the last Lewis's store in Liverpool has just closed and I sympathise with the staff. It is indeed the end of an era.

+Quote Post
*alison.mc*
post 16th Jun 2010, 10:04pm
Post #49

Hi
To everyone who sort of remembers a zoo in the old Lewis's, your absolutly right. I don't remember it but my late uncle worked in Begg Cousland Wire Work who made the cages for the animals. I worked there from 1976 til it closed and remember being told about the "mini zoo" on the 5th floor. I'm enjoying reading peoples memories of a great store.

Ali smile.gif

+Quote Post
**Lynda**
post 17th Sep 2010, 08:53am
Post #50

Can anyone who worked in Lewis's in Argyle Street Glasgow help me with this puzzler - I've been trying to find out for years. I was a student in 1983 and worked there part time.

Remember if you were on time in the morning, you signed in at the staff room, but if you were late, you had to go up the escalators (staff weren't allowed to use the lifts) floor by floor until you reached the 4th floor where you had to sign in late at the personnel department.

However, as we got close to Hogmanay, Lewis's workers started talking about a tradition where, if you were late on the last day of the year you got ridiculed. There was a name for this and I'm trying to find out what that name was.

My pal and I were determined not to be late and be "xxxxxxx" (whatever it was called), but of course we were late and had to go up every floor, with all the staff surrounding the escalators, jeering, cat calling, shouting this bizarre name whatever it was at us. They were banging on things to make as much noise as possible and having a right laugh. Our faces of course were scarlet red, we were a laughing stock the whole day and all these years later, we can still feel the pain!

Can any Lewis's worker remember what that tradition was called?

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Sep 2010, 07:13pm
Post #51

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A very interesting story, Linda, thanks for sharing and I hope you find out what the name was. While searching I found a pic of the old Lewis's staff badge:

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 17th Sep 2010, 07:54pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Linda..was it the word 'Sherikin'...means being shouted at!!

+Quote Post
benny
post 17th Sep 2010, 10:25pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (*Lynda* @ 17th Sep 2010, 10:55am) *
However, as we got close to Hogmanay, Lewis's workers started talking about a tradition where, if you were late on the last day of the year you got ridiculed. There was a name for this and I'm trying to find out what that name was.

My pal and I were determined not to be late and be "xxxxxxx" (whatever it was called), but of course we were late and had to go up every floor, with all the staff surrounding the escalators, jeering, cat calling, shouting this bizarre name whatever it was at us. They were banging on things to make as much noise as possible and having a right laugh. Our faces of course were scarlet red, we were a laughing stock the whole day and all these years later, we can still feel the pain!

Can any Lewis's worker remember what that tradition was called?

I think you may be referring to the tradition of "Skittery Winter". This was prevalent in some parts of Scotland, and is just what you described - getting jeered if you were "last in " at anything at the end of the year. You were supposed to be late in everything for the next 364 days if you were the "Skittery Winter".

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Melody
post 18th Sep 2010, 08:37am
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Bless ye Benny I was wracking my brains to remember that 'Skittery Winter'. Oh ye never wanted to be called that. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Susanne*
post 9th Oct 2010, 11:00pm
Post #55

I remember Lewis's in 1972-1975. It was a fantastic shop. My favorites were the food hall with all the different types of biscuits and pies and the cosmetics dep. I absolutely loved it! My fiance was Scottish and I used to come across from Denmark and visit him in Glasgow. I have happy memories of Glasgow as a vibrant place then but sadly it has changed a lot.

Susanne

+Quote Post
*Gary H*
post 13th Oct 2010, 11:41pm
Post #56

Hi,

I too worked in Lewis's from 1980 to 1984. I worked in the toy department on the 3rd floor. It was a great place to work with a fantastic atmosphere between the staff. The social life was also first class.

+Quote Post
**Lynda**
post 19th Oct 2010, 09:11am
Post #57

SKITTERY WINTER - that was it, thanks so much. I've been puzzling over that for years!!!

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:49pm
Post #58

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Sep 2010, 08:09pm) *
A very interesting story, Linda, thanks for sharing and I hope you find out what the name was. While searching I found a pic of the old Lewis's staff badge:

Attached Image

GG.

well done, I dont remember it but smashin find

+Quote Post
*eddiebhoy67*
post 12th Nov 2010, 12:30pm
Post #59

QUOTE (georgia @ 17th Nov 2006, 09:12am) *
I remember sitting on the horse at Lewis's to get my hair cut. Afterwards my mum took me down to the pet department and I remember seeing kangaroos (or was it wallabies). For kids like us in the early 1950's, it was amazing to see these strange animals...my husband doesn't believe me and thinks that I'm going a wee bit doo-wally in my old age, but I can definitely remember seeing these animals, I was about 4 at the time. Please tell me that someone else out there remembers this too! wub.gif

Linda I remember Sellyns in Springburn, there was another one in Argyle Street in the Candleriggs area. I remember going there with my mum to get my first pair of 'winkle picker' high heeled shoes for our school dance at Albert when I was 14. laugh.gif

Do you remember the TV jingle...

Sellyns are the shops, for all the family,
Sellyns are the shops where you wear while you pay....

Anyone remember the rest of it????

+Quote Post
*thelma brown*
post 29th Nov 2010, 11:56am
Post #60

QUOTE (alison.mc @ 3rd Jun 2010, 07:42pm) *
Hi
I also worked in Lewis's not to be confused with JLP. Lewis's was a Glasgow landmark for generations. I remember being taken there as a child by my Gran every week which was a real treat. Anyone over the age of 30 who was brought up in Glasgow would have visited Santa's Grotto at Lewis's. Christmas was a very majical time in the store as the third floor stockroom was transformed, by our very talented display team, into a fabulous wonderland. The faces of the children just lit up when they seen the fantastic animated characters all the way through the grotto and then they finally got to meet Santa, collect their toy and have their picture taken. People would come from all over to see the Chritmas window displays and the parade through the city when Santa was arriving at Lewis's (I remember a very young Carole Smillie travelling with Santa in his horse drawn carriage). I started as a Christmas temp. in the toy department in 1977 and was one of the last to leave when the store sadly closed down in1991. I still remember my staff number 220289. It was a fantastic place to work as we had a lot of fun as well as getting the job done. I no longer live in Glasgow however I have visited the store once or twice since Debenhams took it over. I must admit that the standards have dropped dramatically since the heyday of Lewis's and I wouldn't cross the street now to go in. I much prefer House of Fraser which has a similar feel to the old Lewis's store. I did love working there and still miss it almost 20 years later. Sadly the last Lewis's store in Liverpool has just closed and I sympathise with the staff. It is indeed the end of an era.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th Dec 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.