Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brexit News, We told you so.
Kemedian
post 14th Jan 2020, 08:16pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
Brexit.

Boris won.

We're leaving.

The debate is over and, as a highly toxic governmental feud is corroding delicate relations between Scotland and the rest of the UK, the muddy trenches of Nicola's escapade beckon. mellow.gif

This thread is about the unfolding economic consequences; how we're about to learn the hard way, even at the turn of a new decade, that the withering grass isn't always greener.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 14th Jan 2020, 08:18pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
In the news today...

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that Flybe is important for Britain’s transport links and that the government would do what it could to help the carrier.

The BBC reported that negotiations could lead to a cut to air passenger duty, while Sky News said there could be a deal to allow Flybe to defer an APD payment of more than 100 million pounds for three years.

Flybe, which has 68 aircraft and about 2,000 staff, was bought last year by Connect Airways, a consortium created by Virgin Atlantic, Stobart Group and investment adviser Cyrus Capital...

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 17th Jan 2020, 02:36pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
In the news today...

The overall figures meant 2019 was the worst year on record and the first year to show an overall decline in retail sales... the wave of CVAs and administrations, shop closures and job losses, and the ongoing impacts of Brexit uncertainty that the industry suffered in 2019.

"Twice the UK faced the prospect of a no deal Brexit, as well as political instability that concluded in a December General Election – further weakening demand for the festive period."
- British Retail Consortium, Chief Executive

www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/01/2019-uk-retails-worst-year-ever/

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Jan 2020, 05:01pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
I wish i'd thought of doing a "We Told You So" thread on the morning of 19th September 2014. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Jan 2020, 05:08pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
"Brexit will soon have cost the UK more than all of its payments to the EU over the last 47 years put together" ohmy.gif

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexi...BBYWF39?ocid=sf

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 17th Jan 2020, 05:29pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 17th Jan 2020, 05:08pm) *
"Brexit will soon have cost the UK more than all of its payments to the EU over the last 47 years put together" ohmy.gif

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexi...BBYWF39?ocid=sf

"Pursuing the types of policies suggested in the SNP manifesto in an independent Scotland would mean cuts would have to be even bigger, or other taxes would have to be increased."

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,independ...repor_14828.htm

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Jan 2020, 07:06pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 17th Jan 2020, 05:29pm) *
"Pursuing the types of policies suggested in the SNP manifesto in an independent Scotland would mean cuts would have to be even bigger, or other taxes would have to be increased."

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,independ...repor_14828.htm

Whiabootery Kem, a British nationalist institution pouring scorn on Scotland regaining it's independence is a bit like trying to prove the existence of God by quoting passages from the bible. yes.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 18th Jan 2020, 08:32am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
You are missing the most important issue over all this, given the amount of news coverage it has got.

Should Big Ben ring to celebrate leaving the EU huh.gif

A. Yes

B. No

Or my choice

C. Don't give a stuff thumbup.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 18th Jan 2020, 10:36am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 18th Jan 2020, 08:32am) *
You are missing the most important issue over all this, given the amount of news coverage it has got.

Should Big Ben ring to celebrate leaving the EU huh.gif

A. Yes

B. No

Or my choice

C. Don't give a stuff thumbup.gif

Yes, the seps are going ding dong crazy. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 18th Jan 2020, 01:01pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
In the news today...

Speaking to the Financial Times, Chancellor of the Exchequer Sajid Javid admitted not all businesses would benefit from Brexit.

The Food and Drink Federation said it sounded like the "death knell" for frictionless trade with the EU and was likely to cause food prices to rise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51157933

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 18th Jan 2020, 02:08pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 18th Jan 2020, 01:01pm) *
In the news today...

Food prices going up.......who would have thought eyebrow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 18th Jan 2020, 09:30pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
food prices going up,as unavoidable as that other sure thing,death and taxes.
First it was inevitable... the bushfires... now the floods that always follow the fires... bottom line,food prices must rise,we are warned. What else is new.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2020, 10:14am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Just a couple of weeks after i posted that i found it "Hard to have any sympathy for the Tory Leave voting farmers" complaining at having their financial support cut after trusting the Tories promises yet again.

Now the fishing industry are realising that once more they've fallen hook, line and sinker for the Tory promises.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18169721....ector-sell-out/

Where's their staunch British Nationalist Union leader Bertie Armstrong now i wonder? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 20th Jan 2020, 11:23am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Thought I would submit a post for the benefit of overseas readers. Some of the posts submitted by Jagz and his pals must give the impression that the UK citizens are faced with starvation. Food shortages! Biggest joke for years. I lived through World War2. Food shortages meant food was rationed. You had to queue for food at the shops. On Saturday night my wife and I went to a local restaurant about 5 pm. It was fully booked until 9 pm We went to another one. Waited about 20 minutes for a seat. By the time we had finished our meal, there was a large queue waiting for seats.

All this garbage about shop closures is nonsense. The shops are closing because of modern technology. THE INTERNET. Newspapers are switching to the internet because of a drop in sales.

It is called evolution. How many of you get your milk or coal delivered to your home? You don’t get the latter anywhere.

Aldi is opening new shops in various towns, so their model is different from the traditional supermarkets like Sainsbury’s. Unlike Sainsbury’s, you don’t see staff standing about in Alddi’s or Lidl shops.

Things are so bad here that there are traffic jams reported every night in Scotland because of the volume of traffic on our roads. Glasgow which will be hosting the next Global Warming conference in November, is going to try to lead the way in reducing carbon emission.

So for overseas readers, please ignore these scare mongers. Their constant searching for links to uphold their argument is pathetic. Jagz and others quote the National to support their argument, but express disdain for the Daily Express. I don’t read either of those newspapers because they are both biased towards extremist views. However, because I have different political views from Jags he claims people like me must be right wing Tories.

Danny

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Jan 2020, 01:05pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Danny, just in case it has escaped your notice, we’ve not officially left the EU yet. I’m not sure if you class me amongst JAGZ pals, but I can’t recall ever claiming that food shops would close as a result of Brexit. I did say that I thought that food would increase in price and that remains my view. I also think it’s inevitable that we will have less of a choice of fresh foods. The full impact of leaving won’t be felt today, tomorrow, next week or perhaps even next year. It will eventually change our way of life and the lives of our children and their children, and it remains my opinion, not for the better.

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.